Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 'Isandlwana - Thin Red Line' - A 19th century mod about the Anglo-Zulu War (CAMPAIGN PREVIEW) - Kingdoms

Default Re: 'Isandlwana - The Thin Red Line' - A 19th century battle mod (BETA released!) - M2TW Kingdoms

Quote Originally Posted by nigelnire View Post
    WOW ! Just installed and played Isandlwana you have really done a great job on this mod its very impressive with all the correct units beautifully re created and lovely loading screens . Well done +Rep from me and my thanks as ill have lots of fun with this mod.
    Just a few minor things but I’m hoping you’re going to continue working on this and making it even better. The NNC did have some guns but not that many I think they had two company’s firing and the rest were armed only with spears. Would be good to have some firing NNC but limited to two companys. My artillery has about 70 men on two guns with huge setting anyway I can fix that ? The Zulus start very close as has been said it would be great to have them starting further away for that you would need someone to make a proper map of Isandlwana then this mod would be totaly incredible and realistic. Awesome work please keep going with it to make it even better.
    Thanks much for the praise and suggestions mate.

The NNC:
    The number of rifles per NNC company was ten (5 Martini-Henry and 5 Snider-Enfields), not counting the weapons of the white officers and NCO's. The rifles were probably issued to the black NCO's and each of them didn't get more than 5 rounds, because the Natal government was reluctant to arm the black populace with firearms.
    That said, it isn't possible to make mixed units (i.e. some missile troops and some assegai fighters) in MTW2. But maybe I'll make a NNC rifle squad in the near future. But this would be no more than the said ten NCO's mentioned above. Changing that number would, however, be easy for you. See below.

The artillery:
    It is correct that the number of men attached to the guns itself was considerably lower. But these were accompanied by the complete rear detail of about 40-50 saddlers, orderlies, armourers and so on on that fateful day. All in all 72 men.
    However you might change that number in the EDU (i.e. \data\export_descr_unit.txt). This can easily be done by just changing the 28 in the eigth line to 5 or 6. (This number will be multiplied with the factor 2.5 when the unit size is set to "huge"). Should therefore be about 15 men then.

The EDU entry in question
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    type BRIT Mountain Gun Seven
    dictionary BRIT_Mountain_Gun_Seven ; BRIT Mountain Gun Seven
    category siege
    class missile
    voice_type Light
    banner faction main_missile
    banner holy crusade
    soldier BRIT_ArtyA_Gunner1, 28, 2, 1
    officer BRIT_FootA_Officer
    engine serpentine
    attributes sea_faring, hardy, can_withdraw, gunpowder_unit, cannon, artillery
    formation 1.5, 1.5, 3, 3, 3, horde
    stat_health 1, 0
    stat_pri 8, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, artillery_gunpowder, piercing, knife, 25, 1.8
    ;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_pri_attr no
    stat_sec 55, 3, serpentine_shot, 652, 55, siege_missile, artillery_gunpowder, blunt, none, 25, 1
    ;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_sec_attr ap, bp, launching
    stat_pri_armour 5, 15, 0, flesh
    ;stat_armour_ex 4, 0, 0, 0, 4, 0, 0, leather
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 2
    stat_ground -4, -3, -3, -3
    stat_mental 18, disciplined, trained
    stat_charge_dist 20
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 950, 150, 90, 70, 700, 1, 500
    armour_ug_levels 0
    armour_ug_models BRIT_ArtyA_Gunner1
    ownership england
    era 0 england
    era 1 england
    era 2 england
    era 3 england
    ;unit_info 9, 7, 14
    recruit_priority_offset 23
    ;move_speed_mod

This article by Lt. Col. Snook deals with these issues
    http://www.empressminiatures.com/BritishForces.pdf

The map:
    What you say is true but I simply can't make custom battles with my low performance pc. It simply shuts down. I tried to find someone to make a more correct map but in vain.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=493622

The two pre-configured battles I offered show merely the correct composition of the british force, not their true positions.

cheers
    Last edited by Isandlwana; January 08, 2012 at 03:03 PM.

Creator of Isandlwana 1879 - The Thin Red Line for M2TW (Kingdoms) & Contributor to African Conquest:Total War

Default Re: 'Isandlwana - The Thin Red Line' - A 19th century battle mod (BETA released!) - M2TW Kingdoms

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadthethird View Post
    Yes to both of these questions, I will search the forums. Thanks for the help.
    Wish you success. Please post here when you find the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1747 View Post
    That list was very helpful. I already downloaded "The History of the Zulu War and its Origin." You're right about archive.org, there is a lot of amazing stuff on there, and it's an especially good source if you have an e-reader.
    yep, it is really cool how many fascinating books were nearly lost and now turn up again, thanks to the internet. Especially Colenso's 'History of the Zulu War and its Origin' is remarkable in its analysis of the war.

Creator of Isandlwana 1879 - The Thin Red Line for M2TW (Kingdoms) & Contributor to African Conquest:Total War

nigelnire's Avatar Decanus

Thanks for the help I got the artillery sorted. Just had an awesome battle using the very Zulu land looking “Sea of grass” map and it played out really well. It was a Zulu victory but as in the real battle was in balance for a while. Very enjoyable mod. One question is it possible for those of us with high performance PC s to increase the size of the zulu units for 250 to say 500 ?
    Its not the end of the world about a detailed Isandlwana map, The sea of grass map is very good it is just a matter of deploying your troops further back so that the Zulus are further away when the battle begins. I also slow the game down to 0.8 as it makes the battle that little longer. Sorry I have no idea how to make maps but perhaps if this mod gets the attention it deserves someone will team up with you and create a spectacular Isandlwana map. Again thanks from me for this great mod.

Thanks for the help I got the artillery sorted. Just had an awesome battle using the very Zulu land looking “Sea of grass” map and it played out really well. It was a Zulu victory but as in the real battle was in balance for a while. Very enjoyable mod. One question is it possible for those of us with high performance PC s to increase the size of the zulu units for 250 to say 500 ?
    Its not the end of the world about a detailed Isandlwana map, The sea of grass map is very good it is just a matter of deploying your troops further back so that the Zulus are further away when the battle begins. I also slow the game down to 0.8 as it makes the battle that little longer. Sorry I have no idea how to make maps but perhaps if this mod gets the attention it deserves someone will team up with you and create a spectacular Isandlwana map. Again thanks from me for this great mod.
    Glad it worked for you. And yes, 'Sea of grass' resembles Zululand pretty much, although the area around Isandlwana was rather flat. The only thing about this map (and some others) is that no music is played. Would've been the soundtrack of Zulu Dawn.
    Anyways, it is not possible to make units bigger than 250. But you can set two (maybe even more) computer enemies and make them allies. That way you'll get an army of 10,000 Zulus!!!
    By the way, when you set up for a second computer player some elements of the menu screen will turn to a nasty red. Don't know exactly why this bug happens yet, but everything else will work just fine.

It appears that whenever I attempt to load any British unit besides artillery it causes a CTD while loading/just finished loading the battlemap. How would I fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by miso0011 View Post
    It appears that whenever I attempt to load any British unit besides artillery it causes a CTD while loading/just finished loading the battlemap. How would I fix this?
    are you using the original batch file in the \thinredline-folder to start? what you describe seems like an error to me that I could only fix by writing a special batch which looked like this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    cd \data\text
    del *.txt.strings.bin /q
    cd %~dp0

cd ..\..
    start kingdoms.exe @mods\ThinRedLine\ThinRedLine.cfg

try deleting the string.bin.txt-files in the data\text-folder manually and tell me if the games works afterwards ...

if not the above. are you using steam? do you use windows7?
    Last edited by Isandlwana; January 10, 2012 at 10:41 PM.

Isandlwana I have been really enjoying your mod over the last week, it’s great fun and it will defiantly stay on my computer. I set up three Zulu armies to represent the horns of the buffalo 1st= Left horn 2,500 2nd = Chest 5,000 3rd = 2,500 It also widens the deployment zone and looks awesome giving some idea of what the actual battle must have been like.
    I wonder is it possible to readjust the terrain height on the existing Sea of grass map ? Because I believe it could be modified to look very like Isandlwana if it was flater and if the ground at the back could be raised to look like the hill itself alowing the player to deploy his troops in front of it. .

Isandlwana I have been really enjoying your mod over the last week, it’s great fun and it will defiantly stay on my computer. I set up three Zulu armies to represent the horns of the buffalo 1st= Left horn 2,500 2nd = Chest 5,000 3rd = 2,500 It also widens the deployment zone and looks awesome giving some idea of what the actual battle must have been like.
    I wonder is it possible to readjust the terrain height on the existing Sea of grass map ? Because I believe it could be modified to look very like Isandlwana if it was flater and if the ground at the back could be raised to look like the hill itself alowing the player to deploy his troops in front of it. .
    Haha, thanks. It's great to hear you're still enjoying it. It must've been epic with so many Zulus roam the fields.
    What you further ask could quite easily be done with the battle editor. It's not really hard but a bit confusing at first.
    Other than that I see no feasible ways to edit the terrain. One could make changes to descr_terrain.txt or edit the map_ground_types.tga / map_climates.tga. This would, however, change the map features wholesale and not just a particular region of the battle map.

As to the difficulties of recreating the map at all just have a look at this aerial image of the region which I used to mark the positions (partly guesstimated). The green lines mark the borders of the tw-battlemap (~1000 x 1000 metres). But recreating the battle at pretty late a stage or downscaling the battle dimensions by one third would of course still be cool.

the map (~4 MB)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Isandlwana View Post
    are you using the original batch file in the \thinredline-folder to start? what you describe seems like an error to me that I could only fix by writing a special batch which looked like this.
    cd \data\text
    del *.txt.strings.bin /q
    cd %~dp0

cd ..\..
    start kingdoms.exe @mods\ThinRedLine\ThinRedLine.cfg

try deleting the string.bin.txt-files in the data\text-folder manually and tell me if the games works afterwards ...

if not the above. are you using steam? do you use windows7?
    I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, life you know. Anyway I deleted all the string.bin files and still receive a CTD, using the normal batch file that came with the download. I do not use steam and I have Windows 7.

No worries for replying late. ... but as to your problem, I'm actually at a loss. With no campaign modding involved the mod is actually quite simple and shouldn't cause any troubles. The only thing I had was this steam issue what occured with two people and had (likely) nothing to do with the mod itself.

Well, maybe we can narrow down the error.

1. Which version of kingdoms are you using? (I have 1.04 and 1.05)
    2. do you use other mods which change the original game or one of the expansion slots?
    3. you said it CTD's "whenever I attempt to load any British unit besides artillery". does this mean the game works if you use only artillery? does it work if you play as the zulu?
    4. could you post the last hundred lines of your logfile (and put it in spoilers) - it's in the \logs-folder.

I have managed to fix it by just doing a complete reinstall . Sorry for wasting your time, and many thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by miso0011 View Post
    I have managed to fix it by just doing a complete reinstall . Sorry for wasting your time, and many thanks for the help!
    no prob ... maybe my posts help others now

Default Re: 'Isandlwana - The Thin Red Line' - A 19th century battle mod on the Anglo-Zulu War (BETA released!) - M2TW Kingdoms

I will have to look into the battle editor ive never used it before. I don’t think the map can be saved but and that would mean adjusting it with the editor each time you play the game. Let’s just hope a map maker will come on board and make the one map needed for this mod. To the best of my knowledge there has never been a detailed Isandlwana map made for any game so it would be a first.
    A large scale map would make for a totally epic battle with this mod. I play the Zulu /Khartoum mod for NTW and it is awesome to look at but your mod actually makes for a more interesting battle tactically as it lasts much longer. With a large map and Increased firing ranges for the Natal / British force I would say the battle would be about the best for any mod.

Tried out the battle editor but it doesn’t work .It will allow you to put the x onto a location on the map and a terrain type but when you click on next it just takes you back to your main screen.
    Last edited by nigelnire; January 14, 2012 at 08:23 AM.

Default Re: 'Isandlwana - The Thin Red Line' - A 19th century battle mod on the Anglo-Zulu War (BETA released!) - M2TW Kingdoms

Tried out the battle editor but it doesn’t work .It will allow you to put the x onto a location on the map and a terrain type but when you click on next it just takes you back to your main screen.
    Oh yeah, right. The editor works off the files in /base and /campaign/imperial_campaign and I might have deleted some not necessary in order to save space since it was just a battle mod and I wanted to make a new campaign map first. Anyways, will investigate which files are needed.

EDIT!

Just checked and found all necessary files to be in place. The 'secret' is to create the "bold" folder(s)

data\world\battle\custom\

(if it doesn't work download any battle from the archive and put it in the \custom-folder)
    Last edited by Isandlwana; January 14, 2012 at 04:25 PM.

This mods looks quite impressive! But the download link doesn't works. Can you re-upload it again? or simply attach to twcenter?

Quote Originally Posted by Tal-Rham Soldier View Post
    This mods looks quite impressive! But the download link doesn't works. Can you re-upload it again? or simply attach to twcenter?
    Thank you, the mod will be uploaded again soon. I've no idea why it isn't there anymore since I didn't delete it myself and it can't seriously be any other issue. And I tried to attach it to TWcenter in the first place but that wouldn't work. Anyways .. just wait for the new link.
    Last edited by Isandlwana; January 20, 2012 at 03:55 PM.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Isandlwana View Post
    Thank you, the mod will be uploaded again soon. I've no idea why it isn't there anymore since I didn't delete it myself and it can't seriously be any other issue. And I tried to attach it to TWcenter in the first place but that wouldn't work. Anyways .. just wait for the new link.
    Try Multiupload mate, there is at least nine sites linked into one download

Default Beta (ver 0.2) has been uploaded

beta ver 0.2 has been uploaded

I fixed some descriptions, deleted files not necessary and added some British marches. Also a new semi-historical unit for the British has been added. The changes aren't big so everyone who has ver 0.1 doesn't need the new version except he wants an additional NNC rifle section. I may offer a patch if time allows.

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    Try Multiupload mate, there is at least nine sites linked into one download
    Damn, I read that too late
    But thanks for the hint. Will keep it in mind.

---
    Btw, today is the 133rd anniversary of the Battle.
    Last edited by Isandlwana; January 22, 2012 at 05:02 PM.

Default Re: 'Isandlwana - The Thin Red Line' - A 19th century battle mod on the Anglo-Zulu War (BETA v0.2 released!) - Kingdoms

SORRY for the video speed beeing set at x 4 "
    because FRAPS was slowing the video down too munch
    (making it lagg to the max)
    i had to choose between a lagging video
    or a speedy video
    i chose the speedy because

this video is about

showing a test map for
    the battle of isandlwana,
    &
    the cinematic intro into the battle
    (like the regular historical battles for m2tw)

not about winning any video reward.

I will do another video at x1 speed this week end,
    for an re enactement historical battle video
    -----------------------------------------------
    ok,i had to make an historical battle folder into the world folder,
    create a map & scripted an historical battle for this video
    but your mod is so worth it!

this is a beta testing map for the historical battle

1/for the historical re enactement video,i will try to add the chariots from the other mod that i'm working on (secession civil war) & change the medieval camp utilies (those huge medieval tents )with only small tents.

2/ all zulus unit that fight with a javelin had to have their skeleton animation change to that of a spearmen because their were trowing they're javelins & killing the british & africans units from very far away instead of fighting at close quarters like a real zulu soldier would.

3/i will have to remove the torch fire effects,for the night battle (part of the battle happen during a total eclipse)

Last edited by alexandre dumas; February 01, 2012 at 11:07 PM.

Default Re: 'Isandlwana - The Thin Red Line' - A 19th century battle mod on the Anglo-Zulu War (BETA v0.2 released!) - Kingdoms

Quote Originally Posted by alexandre dumas View Post
    SORRY for the video speed beeing set at x 4 "
    because FRAPS was slowing the video down too munch
    Absolutely no need to apologize although being a videomaker myself I understand that one is never really satisfied with ones work. Anyways, many thanks for your efforts and of course +rep. If you don't object I will put your video in my first post.

Quote Originally Posted by alexandre dumas View Post
    I will do another video at x1 speed this week end, for an re enactement historical battle video
    awesome

ok,i had to make an historical battle folder into the world folder, create a map & scripted an historical battle for this video but your mod is so worth it!
    thanks again, I (and others, too, I guess) look forward to see it, finally. btw, did you use the map image I posted earlier?

this is a beta testing map for the historical battle

1/for the historical re enactement video,i will try to add the chariots from the other mod that i'm working on (secession civil war) & change the medieval camp utilies (those huge medieval tents )with only small tents.

2/ all zulus unit that fight with a javelin had to have their skeleton animation change to that of a spearmen because their were trowing they're javelins & killing the british & africans units from very far away instead of fighting at close quarters like a real zulu soldier would.

3/i will have to remove the torch fire effects,for the night battle (part of the battle happen during a total eclipse)
    1) This would be def cool and I now remember where I saw your name, (except the books ) but I thought you did some videos for SCW. Which is a very cool mod btw and in fact inspired me totally to make this one. Anyways, the wagons and tents would be really cool.

2) yes, under King Shaka the warriors were sentenced to death if they avoided close combat and threw the assegai instead. However, there might've been some instances were assegais were thrown, for example to break the British company squares. But only elite units have this feature. That said, I have no idea how the Zulus fought with the assegai. More like with a spear or with a sword.

3) The eclipse was just short not more than a minute or so, I believe. HArd to simulate that probably.
    Last edited by Isandlwana; January 27, 2012 at 03:25 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast