Thread: Converting Religions

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Converting Religions

In Rome BI I believe you could convert your faction's religion.
    Is it possible to do this in the M2TW engine? Like, if I wanted to convert from Germanic Paganism to Christianity.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Default Re: Converting Religions

I don't know if it is implemented but RTW used traits for religion.

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastScythian View Post
    In Rome BI I believe you could convert your faction's religion.
    Is it possible to do this in the M2TW engine? Like, if I wanted to convert from Germanic Paganism to Christianity.
    K, I'm looking into it and upgrading the religious aspect as we post. Celtic Paganism is getting upgraded and will be present and in as a few faction religions. The religions are ascribed to each faction at the start of the game but if the Rulers religion differs then I think the faction will convert immediately over to your rulers religion. Generals that come into the game can have a different religion and this may depends upon the provinces current religious percentage. The buildings in the province will influence the religion types percentage. As generals and family members come of age they make there way eventually to the throne. The Religion Trait will control the leaders religion thus convert the faction over to his faith. So all depends upon your faction leaders faith...Now I may be wrong w/ this point but am looking into it to be sure.
    Last edited by Riothamus; January 04, 2012 at 12:53 PM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    The religions are ascribed to each faction at the start of the game but if the Rulers religion differs then I think the faction will convert immediately over to your rulers religion. Generals that come into the game can have a different religion and this may depends upon the provinces current religious percentage. The buildings in the province will influence the religion types percentage. As generals and family members come of age they make there way eventually to the throne. The Religion Trait will control the leaders religion thus convert the faction over to his faith. So all depends upon your faction leaders faith...Now I may be wrong w/ this point but am looking into it to be sure.
    So.... in the beginning factions have a set religion, even if their leader has a different religion?
    Because Gododdin has a Pelagianistic King, but the faction itself is Christian. But if his son is also Pelagianistic and succeeds, then the faction will become Pelagianistic?

Deutschland's Avatar East of Rome Mod Leader

It is remarkable that you have chosen the same aproach as the EOR team has.

I m really looking forward to your solution of this scripting challenge

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastScythian View Post
    So.... in the beginning factions have a set religion, even if their leader has a different religion?
    Because Gododdin has a Pelagianistic King, but the faction itself is Christian. But if his son is also Pelagianistic and succeeds, then the faction will become Pelagianistic?
    -Yes the Faction religion can be set at the start can have a faction leader w/ a different religion as with the Gododdin. Unfortunately, as the province becomes dominated by Pelagianism, it will not convert(from current testing)
    -Pelagianism is meant to be a sect of Christianity so in its reality it is Christianity but because of the Council at Nicaea its seen as heretical by the Christian church. We although have mad it a separate religion from Christianity. I will correct it for the next upgrade by possible means of scripting
    Last edited by Riothamus; January 06, 2012 at 11:52 AM.

Another suggestion? You could make this all based on cultures and religion be a happiness boost construction and traits for characters. Then you could separate factions by compatible culture instead of religion and use it to convert newly conquered settlements so most or all faction units can not be recruited practically instantly. And at higher tiers the faction conversion could be used to allow higher tier unit recruitment. This way you can focus more realistically and diversely on differing cultures rather than just religion.
    "It is worth while for those who disdain all human things for money, and who suppose that there is no room either for great honor or virtue, except where wealth is found, to listen to his story."
    - Livy 3.26

If something like this would be done then you would probably have to mess around with the settlement order as well, or else a population could essentially overthrow most of a kingdom just because of the leaders religion.

Ok this has been fixed. Certain factions will have a choice to build another type of religious building(within its historical context) and a third level construction will convert the faction to that buildings religion type. An example would be the Merovingians. To convert to Christianity would mean its starting ascribed capital, Turnai, would construct a Christian Church. Its conversion then would be complete. Only for the local faction and not the AI. Credit goes to TNZ
    Last edited by Riothamus; March 05, 2012 at 09:19 PM.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Ok this has been fixed. Certain factions will have a choice to build another type of religious building(within its historical context) and a third level construction will convert the faction to that buildings religion type. An example would be the Merovingians. To convert to Christianity would mean its starting ascribed capital, Turnai, would construct a Christian Church. Its conversion then would be complete. Only for the local faction and not the AI. Credit goes to TNZ
    Is this via script? This is an interesting concept...

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Storm View Post
    Is this via script? This is an interesting concept...
    The choice of several religious building types with their different religious effects to the province, will be an option for some of the factions. For instance the Franks will have the option of building their Germanic Pagan buildings or switch to the Catholic Roman church buildings. The third level building(only able to construct it at the capital)triggers the conversion.(by the conversion scripted code) It has to have a historical aspect for this to be in place. The idea in general was somewhat in place but I had to further develop it to this way and to also have it fit into a conversion script by TNZ
    Last edited by Riothamus; March 06, 2012 at 11:43 PM.

The choice of several religious building types with their different religious effects to the province, will be an option for some of the factions. For instance the Franks will have the option of building their Germanic Pagan buildings or switch to the Catholic Roman church buildings. The third level building(only able to construct it at the capital)triggers the conversion.(by the conversion scripted code) It has to have a historical aspect for this to be in place. The idea in general was somewhat in place but I had to further develop it to this way and to also have it fit into a conversion script by TNZ
    Should this work for all factions with multiple religions? I just tried this out with Powys. I built the third level Pelagian religious building in my capital but I didn't switch over to Pelagianism from orthodox Christianity.

Quote Originally Posted by brapollo View Post
    Should this work for all factions with multiple religions? I just tried this out with Powys. I built the third level Pelagian religious building in my capital but I didn't switch over to Pelagianism from orthodox Christianity.
    This will be in effect w/the new upgrade