Thread: What was the actual structure of legio comitacenses

Default What was the actual structure of legio comitacenses

As far as i know the No. was around 1000. But are these 1000 men legionaries only, or this is together with archers or ballistae regiments? And how many cohorts where in comit.legion? And was there any equites there? I mean was legate on foot? Sorry for my extremely bad English

Default Re: What was the actual structure of legio comitacenses

Quote Originally Posted by Dman1993 View Post
    As far as i know the No. was around 1000. But are these 1000 men legionaries only, or this is together with archers or ballistae regiments? And how many cohorts where in comit.legion? And was there any equites there? I mean was legate on foot? Sorry for my extremely bad English
    Dman1993,
    Please click on this thread and take heed to Pompeius Magnus feedback relating to this. We are restructuring the Roman army to this 5th century idea
    Where are the roman legions?
    Last edited by Riothamus; January 02, 2012 at 05:38 PM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Dman1993 View Post
    The Roman Legio where restructured first by Diocletainus then by Constantine to reflect the new realities that where treatening the Roman world. The Equites attached to each legion was removed, and the difference between Auxilla and Legio was no more. Each Comitatensis numbered around 1000 men all on foot. The Equites units seems to have been 500 horse men each. The Legio Palatina and the Auxilla Palatina where 500 men each.

For gameplay in Vandalorum, I always keep four units type of each unit of Comitatensis, Auxilla, Equites and Palatina.

Cheers

And what about skirmisher units like Exculcatores? How did they fit in an army?

I experienced, that Exculcatores had very few kills and average deaths so i stopped using them. Even the Germanic indigenae militia (or something like that) were more useful as skirmishers.

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

The Exculcatores where independent units, either Comitatensis or Pseudo-Comitatensis, or Auxilia Palatina. They where light armored and used mainly as scouts, they are regarded as elites by some. In Vandalorum and Brittanae they are not so. But I always take two units with any army and deploy them behind my first line of infantry, their javelin barrage is devastating. They are not meant to enter hand to hand combat, but as support troops. I find it very useful to deploy my first line of Auxilia and Auxilia Palatina in shield wall formation whit auto fire off, and a array of missile troops behind, very useful against the hated Huns.

Cheers.

Ah, so i misused them. Thanks Reno, i'll try what you've said