Thread: Eriador for a newbie

Default Eriador for a newbie

It was recently brought to my attention that TATW 3.0 was released, and after my many hours in Skyrim I decided to dive back into the world of Middle Earth. Needless to say, this is not my first time playing this wonderful mod, but admittedly I always played as either Gondor, the Elves, and occasionally the dwarven culture.

Now that I'm back for another round, I decided to go with Eriador, try to restore the kingdom of Arnor, and destroy my enemies.

What I'm asking is basically the ropes to learn how to play Eriador.
    Things like:
    Which troops are the most efficient?
    How should I engage my enemies? (Both on the map and in battle)
    Economy tips? (Best cities to put the money-grubbing leaders in, etc.)

If it helps at all, I'm currently playing with Baron's Submod Compilation. I'll be doing a few test runs on the custom battle maps (which are wonderful, btw) so any help would be appreciated!

-Thanks in advance

Ekaddon's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Eriador for a newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Raygens View Post
    Which troops are the most efficient?
    How should I engage my enemies? (Both on the map and in battle)
    You will not have many "good" units for a long time. Dunedain Battle ready/Rangers are good/the best before Arnor.

I have never had problems with an Archer heavy army. Skirmishing is the most effective early in the game. Lots of flaming arrows before the enemy reaches your Militia, when he does charge the rear with a unit or two of Mercenary cavalry or/and a mounted Bodyguard unit. Should be enough to rout Orcs/Goblins.

THIS^

I mostly use Dunedain bodyguards, it's best unit for a long time, one general may easily defeat hundreds od orcs.

Tiro

Since you only start with 3 towns, focus on getting The Shire and Barrow-Downs. There is also Allimir under the Shire, which I'd grab before the HE gets it. Athilin is a town north of Fornost, don't get it, at least at the beginning. Gundabad will take that, and won't war with you for a while. For the first 50 turns, it's best to turtle and grow your economy, which means stay out of Isengard's way until you need to. Also, stay away from Hoarwell, Tharbad, and Argond. Once you build your towns up to cities and start to get a solid economy, make an army and help Rohan with Isengard. The OotMM won't attack you if they are focusing more on the elves. Gundabad will be more focused on the dwarves if you stay out of the way. The reason why you want to take Isengard out first, is that they have a few Laeg Towns and coastal cities that benifit from trade. It's also best to do this to avoid a two front war. After Isengard is done for, then focus on the goblin factions.

hmm

Amuni.. is now a Minor City with a population of 20000, but i cant build the house of the King?
    Aragon is 80years old and I dont know what to do

PS: for money you can get an enemy town destroy all the buildings and give it to a allied faction in return of one of their own citys

kraxmause's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by basilisk View Post
    hmm

Amuni.. is now a Minor City with a population of 20000, but i cant build the house of the King?

PS: for money you can get an enemy town destroy all the buildings and give it to a allied faction in return of one of their own citys
    Annúminas must be a large city and Aragorn won't die for at least another 40 years.
    Cleave the sod with your trusty spade
    Dig out a house that's quite like a grave
    And should your neighbour not return your wave
    Cleave the sod with your trusty spade

A.R.R.R. Roberts - The Soddit

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by basilisk View Post
    hmm

You need to have a Large City at 26k, it's fairly simple to do, you just need to have a good governor in there. Do you have anyone with traits and ancillaries that reduce squalor and give farming bonuses? This should be enough to get you to the 26k.

And with Aragorn's age, that is common. The age limit is 120. So if he is 80, you have a good 120 more turns with him.