View Poll Results: what must happen to the passage beneath pelargir?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • let it stay!

55 41.98%
  • delete it!

76 58.02%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: passage south of pelargir. away or stay?

Default Re: passage south of pelargir. away or stay?

Quote Originally Posted by vonckenLOTR View Post
    i think it would be a good thing to make a submod like baron samedi's mod compilation. then you could choose between crossing - no crossing.

this could be a good solution.
    Good luck to you then. No one is stopping you if you want to make your own submod.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

That's like 5 seconds of work

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

i donīt understand why people have such big problems with this passage...

vonckenLOTR's Avatar Civis

because, if you want to have a safe country, it is a gap in your defence line

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Well, if that's the case, KK should just build mountain around every faction, so noone can attack them. A superb defence line! Happy?
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

tugaguy's Avatar Foederatus

just use a ship to block it

Lazy's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by _Tartaros_ View Post
    i donīt understand why people have such big problems with this passage...
    Itīs not a difficulty thing... itīs a logical problem because this way harad soldiers do have jesus-mode!

I would have no problem with scripted attacks with ships... but walking over water seems weird!

Additionally I cannot understand how the AI has problems with attacking gondor as there is a land-border ( these small islands )... they are neighbouring (<= spelling mistake...) factions...
    The campaign AI has entries for dealing with "borders"... no idea how it could not work here...
    if it was because the lefthanded patch was to narrow... why just dont make it bigger?!
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWarts View Post
    ...the woman trampled didn't look impenetrable. So they ran through her.

TiFlo's Avatar Semisalis

Besides, Gondor isn't supposed to be a cake walk. This mod has been out long enough for KK and the community to figure out what works best.

I honestly have no idea why anyone would want it removed unless you are planning on playing as Gondor and want to hold off Harad with a single half-stack. The land bridge only partially compensates for the poor naval invasions and pathfinding of the AI, and allows Harad to be some kind of threat to Gondor.

Shadytash's Avatar Foederatus

if it cant be removed, maybe make the passage a bridge instead so its not wierd

Generalpatton334's Avatar Foederatus

Wait wait... i remember in 2.1
    I was playing as gondor and harad used boats to get to my side and destroyed all of my settlements with their army since i wasnt at all prepared so i shouldnt say the AI isn't completely stupid
    i was playing on vh/vh with VeryBadAI submod

webba84's Avatar Artifex

I want to try and make something clear for a lot of people who are having trouble finding the land bridge passages immersive. They dont represent armies swimming or jumping or miracle walking across massive bodies of water. What they represent is a place where the conditions are right for an army to cross the water without the aid of dedicated transport ships, by using self constructed rafts like the Orcs in Osgilliath or pontoon bridges or like Ceasers bridge across the Rhine.

This is a game where you can take 3000 soldiers including horses and artillery and load them onto a single two masted ship with a crew of 75 then sail around the world indefinitely. I genuinely and honestly dont understand how you can accept that without batting an eyelid but the idea of a narrow, shallow, gentle bit of water that an army can find a way across by itself is so immersion jarring as to be inconceivable. I dont buy it.

The crossing at the delta makes sense--a delta is a flat expanse of silty land with shallow branches of a major river running through it. However the new one above pelargir does not make that much sense because at that point it should be the full stream of this mighty river running through the area and that is not that easy to cross without a bridge of some sort--rafts would just get carried away.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Vonebor View Post
    The crossing at the delta makes sense--a delta is a flat expanse of silty land with shallow branches of a major river running through it. However the new one above pelargir does not make that much sense because at that point it should be the full stream of this mighty river running through the area and that is not that easy to cross without a bridge of some sort--rafts would just get carried away.
    Quote Originally Posted by webba84 View Post
    or like Ceasers bridge across the Rhine.
    Again, the point is, it is not in any way more implausible than loading a massive army onto one! tiny ship and then sailing them across and it is much more fair because the ai can use it well too. I dont understand why people feel it is so much more implausible than everything else in this game that doesnt make sense because game systems are always an abstraction and not a perfect reflection of reality. It is NOT, by any stretch of the imagination, the most immersion breaking thing in this mod or even in base ME2TW and it is good for balance and gameplay. Why it is even being discussed is beyond me.
    Last edited by webba84; January 02, 2012 at 09:35 PM.

People just complain too much, if there wasn't anything to complain about, they would complain about not having what to complain of!
    I really think the land-bridge south of Pelargir does add to gameplay, it makes southern gondor more difficult to defend. In a time I was about to collapse under the pressure of having few troops (what little I did had, died each battle) and being beset on three fronts (or four if the corsairs decide to invade).
    DCI: Last Alliance: Unit maker. Proud member of The Imperial House of Hader

i think it makes the campaign more versatile
    Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do...

ryan1266's Avatar Civis

Just an idea... What about making Harad attack Osiligoth? I'm sure it wasn't just orcs fighting Gondor in the ruined city...
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Sir Winston Churchill

I have never seen Harad use the passage north of Pelargir. As for the delta? It's pretty easy to defend and if you were to remove it then Gondor would be way too easy for the player. I take that back, WAY WAY too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by joshko View Post
    I have never seen Harad use the passage north of Pelargir.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1266 View Post
    Just an idea... What about making Harad attack Osiligoth? I'm sure it wasn't just orcs fighting Gondor in the ruined city...
    I've had Harad sent armies up through the Pelargir passage into mainland Gondor, as well as attack me in Ithilien from the south. They probably would keep coming north and attack Osgiliath if I don't fight them near or in Emyn Arnen.

The gameplay has improved with the addition of the land bridge, and I still can't understand why people are complaining about something that drastically improves gameplay and the AI.

I don't mind it being there. I would like a permanent fort on my side of the river so I can defend a little easier, or the ability to build a fort. Usually I just stick 4-5 ships inbetween and the AI just stands there for eternity, so the landbridge isn't really making Harad a huge threat, more of an annoyance.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast