Thread: Difficulty and AI Bonuses.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Default Difficulty and AI Bonuses.

Lets try to undestand here something that is not tottaly explained in the FAQ thread.

GARRISON SCRIPT:
    Summon extra units for AI defending against sieges.

HELP WEAKENED FACTION
    Spawns extra stacks for AI when it is weakened and likely to be defeated.

LAST STAND
    ??????

Please enlist the script you know that helps the AI and give a little explanation.

Now about difficulty.

Could somone please explain wich exactly means the two levels of difficulty (campaign and battle) and what it really means in TATW? Im talking about %, numbers and bonuses, not overall explanations.

A simple transcription of the scripts with small explanation would be very helpful. Thanks.
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; January 02, 2012 at 01:36 PM.

Default Re: can someone explain difficulty?

bump? Interesting question.

Default Re: Difficulty and AI Bonuses.

up

mattttb's Avatar Civis

This is what I know of the battle AI

I'm in no way familiar with scripts in TATW, but I had a look at the file config_ai_battle.xml and the only occurrence of the ai behaving differently under different difficulty settings is when deciding whether or not to retreat, (there's a counter for deciding when to retreat and on lower difficulties the ai retreats at a lower threshold). Everything else is the SAME across all difficulties, things like the distance at which an enemy army will engage you, or how the ai calculates whether or not it should attempt to fight your missile troops with its own are the SAME.

I remember seeing somewhere however that on different difficulties the attack values of your troops and the enemy troops are invisibly modified.

easy: +3 attack for your troops
    medium: +0 for everyone
    hard: +3 attack for enemy troops
    very hard: +7 attack for enemy troops

now because the AI knows about these bonuses (it uses them in its calculations) it appears to behave differently on different difficulty settings as it perceives itself to be stronger.

for example, say on medium it thinks that your forces are stronger and plays more defensively; on very hard it has +7 attack and so calculates itself to be stronger than you and so behaves more aggressively.

As for campaign AI, I haven't got a clue!
    Last edited by mattttb; January 02, 2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: I was wrong

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    Lets try to undestand here something that is not tottaly explained in the FAQ thread.

GARRISON SCRIPT:
    Summon extra units for AI defending against sieges.

HELP WEAKENED FACTION
    Spawns extra stacks for AI when it is weakened and likely to be defeated.

LAST STAND
    ??????

Please enlist the script you know that helps the AI and give a little explanation.
    Help weakened factions spawns a stack for the AI if it loses a key settlement like Minas Tirith or Edoras for example. It also gives the AI some extra money every turn via the Kings purse.

Last Stand spawns a stack when a faction has less than three settlements.

There are also a couple of other scripts you might be interested in.

AI Setup:
    This is the script that spawns armies and directs them to conquer rebel settlements. This scripts also spawns extra generals to lead the faction's armies.

AI invasions:
    This script spawns Corsair invasions on Gondor as well as Gondorian invasions on the coast of Harad.

Money script:
    The AI gets 5000 gold every time they are bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by mattttb View Post
    This is what I know of the battle AI

I'm in no way familiar with scripts in TATW, but I had a look at the file config_ai_battle.xml and the only occurrence of the ai behaving differently under different difficulty settings is when deciding whether or not to retreat, (there's a counter for deciding when to retreat and on lower difficulties the ai retreats at a lower threshold). Everything else is the SAME across all difficulties, things like the distance at which an enemy army will engage you, or how the ai calculates whether or not it should attempt to fight your missile troops with its own are the SAME.

I remember seeing somewhere however that on different difficulties the attack values of your troops and the enemy troops are invisibly modified.

easy: +3 attack for your troops
    medium: +0 for everyone
    hard: +3 attack for enemy troops
    very hard: +7 attack for enemy troops

now because the AI knows about these bonuses (it uses them in its calculations) it appears to behave differently on different difficulty settings as it perceives itself to be stronger.

for example, say on medium it thinks that your forces are stronger and plays more defensively; on very hard it has +7 attack and so calculates itself to be stronger than you and so behaves more aggressively.

As for campaign AI, I haven't got a clue!
    I usually play on VH in all TW games and I dont think attacks are buffed to that degree if at all, I know they get morale bonuses and I think they tire less easily (not sure) but a +7 attck bonus they would annihilate me pretty easily.

Attack bonuses were in RTW, not in M2. This has been discussed a thousand times.

mattttb's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Attack bonuses were in RTW, not in M2. This has been discussed a thousand times.
    I did say "I remember seeing somewhere...", I wasn't entirely sure if it was true, in which case ignore the second half of my post

Quote Originally Posted by muller227 View Post
    I usually play on VH in all TW games and I dont think attacks are buffed to that degree if at all, I know they get morale bonuses and I think they tire less easily (not sure) but a +7 attck bonus they would annihilate me pretty easily.
    I'm not sure how morale bonuses change across difficulties, as I said I found no evidence for any differences in the way the ai behaves in the battle ai .xml file but I did also say that I know next to nothing about scripts

I know that the ai gets hidden morale bonuses from recruitment buildings and other structures for troops recruited in that settlement, and I don't think those change with difficulty but I'm probably wrong again!

I don't know about any extra morale bonuses from buildings, but there are some experience bonuses on the higher difficulty levels. I play 1.4, so things may be different for you in the case of building bonuses.

mattttb's Avatar Civis

the morale bonus comes from walls
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    building core_building
    {
    ; convert_to core_castle_building
    levels wooden_pallisade wooden_wall stone_wall large_stone_wall huge_stone_wall
    {
    wooden_pallisade city requires factions { gondor, northern_european, mesoamerican, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }
    {
    capability
    {
    wall_level 0
    tower_level 1
    free_upkeep bonus 1
    recruitment_slots 1
    recruits_morale_bonus bonus 2 requires event_counter is_the_ai 1
    law_bonus bonus 8 requires event_counter is_the_ai 1
    ;income_bonus bonus 100 requires event_counter is_the_ai 1
    construction_cost_bonus_stone bonus 50 requires event_counter is_the_ai 1
    construction_cost_bonus_wooden bonus 50 requires event_counter is_the_ai 1
    taxable_income_bonus 50 requires event_counter is_the_ai 1
    trade_base_income_bonus bonus 1 requires event_counter is_the_ai 1

AI gets +3 morale with stone walls and above
    also they get trade bonuses from walls, experience bonuses from barracks, and trade bonuses from stables.

Don't know if that's the same as in 1.4

And it still loses!

Quote Originally Posted by StealthFox View Post
    Help weakened factions spawns a stack for the AI if it loses a key settlement like Minas Tirith or Edoras for example. It also gives the AI some extra money every turn via the Kings purse.

Last Stand spawns a stack when a faction has less than three settlements.

There are also a couple of other scripts you might be interested in.

AI Setup:
    This is the script that spawns armies and directs them to conquer rebel settlements. This scripts also spawns extra generals to lead the faction's armies.

AI invasions:
    This script spawns Corsair invasions on Gondor as well as Gondorian invasions on the coast of Harad.

Money script:
    The AI gets 5000 gold every time they are bankrupt.
    Thanks