Thread: Bottom half of screen is white during battles/sieges...?

Icon5 Bottom half of screen is white during battles/sieges...?

I finally got this mod working after much difficulty only after downloading Kingdoms_Grand_Campaign_M0.exe in addition to all the other required downloads but, I just tried to fight a battle and the whole bottom of the screen which should show the battlefield map, military units, etc. is white. The only things visible are the top half of a general's portrait in the General's Body Guard unit as well an archer unit; that's it. When I click on the white area it sounds like I'm clicking on the unit boxes (to select an individual unit of soldiers) but, 90% of this panel is white so, I'm unable to view any of the important statistics regarding the battle.

To illustrate, when fighting a battle, the screen looks like this:

Instead of this:

Could anyone help me out with this problem and suggest some solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Stylix's Avatar MOS Team Member

Default Re: Bottom half of screen is white during battles/sieges...?

@Virhibernis
    Did you follow the instructions in this post?
    KGCM Patch 4.2 + KGCM Patch 4.3 Download Thread

Try this first:
    IF IN BATTLE YOU GET THE WHITE UI THEN DELETE m2tw/mods/kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod/data/ui/battle.sd

On my system the path is: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod\data\ui\battle.sd
    MOS v1.6.2+ Bug fixer 30 Dec 2013

Yes, I did follow those instructions in the first post on that thread.

Thank you very much, that suggestion to delete that file worked!

The mod is working great so far but, I just have one issue currently: when I have two or more armies attacking an enemy (on the battlefield and during sieges) and I choose to enable AI where I can control two or more armies at one time during a battle, the AI control panel which appears in the top right corner of the screen during a battle is all mangled / messed up and elongated (it looks like its components didn't align correctly) so it takes up a good portion of the screen when playing. Is there a way to fix this so, that the AI control panel appears normally?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Stylix; January 05, 2012 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Double Post

Quote Originally Posted by VirHibernis View Post
    The mod is working great so far but, I just have one issue currently: when I have two or more armies attacking an enemy (on the battlefield and during sieges) and I choose to enable AI where I can control two or more armies at one time during a battle, the AI control panel which appears in the top right corner of the screen during a battle is all mangled / messed up and elongated (it looks like its components didn't align correctly) so it takes up a good portion of the screen when playing. Is there a way to fix this so, that the AI control panel appears normally?
    Does this occur in 'vanilla' Kingdoms as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Stylix View Post
    Does this occur in 'vanilla' Kingdoms as well?
    I'm kind of new to modding Medieval II: Total War so, I'm not that familiar with most of the terminology, yet. By "vanilla Kingdoms" do you mean the regular Kingdoms that comes with the Gold Edition of the game? If so, that appears normally. It appears that this is only occurring on KGCM.

I'm kind of new to modding Medieval II: Total War so, I'm not that familiar with most of the terminology, yet. By "vanilla Kingdoms" do you mean the regular Kingdoms that comes with the Gold Edition of the game? If so, that appears normally. It appears that this is only occurring on KGCM.
    Can you attach a screenshot?

Can you attach a screenshot?
    I can try. Could you give me directions on how to do this while the game is on? I'm using a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium if that has any relevance to how to take screenshots.

I can try. Could you give me directions on how to do this while the game is on? I'm using a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium if that has any relevance to how to take screenshots.
    Usually you just press the 'Prnt Scrn" button on your keypad. Press F1 during the game and look for the capture screenshot (or similar term) in the list of commands. This should save a .tga file in the C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\tgas folder (on my system).
    Is this a campaign or custom battle? Are you using the Battle HUD or Minimal HUD?

Can you attach a save of your game containing the battle in question so that I can try it? Do you have any sub-mods installed?
    Last edited by Stylix; November 11, 2012 at 04:11 PM.

Usually you just press the 'Prnt Scrn" button on your keypad. Press F1 during the game and look for the capture screenshot (or similar term) in the list of commands. This should save a .tga file in the C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\tgas folder (on my system).
    Is this a campaign or custom battle? Are you using the Battle HUD or Minimal HUD?

Can you attach a save of your game containing the battle in question so that I can try it? Do you have any sub-mods installed?
    I followed the directions you gave for taking the screenshot; once the battle began I pressed 'Prnt Scrn' then pressed F1 and saw a command which said something like 'Capture bookmark' which then gave the direction to press Shift+F12 (which I did). Afterwards, I quit the game and went to my C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\ directory:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

But, I couldn't find a 'Tgas folder' in it or in the KGCM sub-folder in the 'mods' sub-folder:

So, I am unable to find the screenshot even if it was saved. :/

It's a campaign battle (so this occurs whenever I use controllable reinforcements), I'm using Battle HUD, I don't have any KGCM sub-mods, and I don't think I would know how to attach a save of the game with this battle in question.
    Last edited by Stylix; January 08, 2012 at 01:53 PM.

@VirHibernis
    Pressing F1 during the game brings up a list of available commands and the keys that they are mapped to. Look for the 'grab screenshot' command and see what key that command is mapped to. You may have to create a folder for tgas first, but I do not remember having to do this.
    Is this a boxed or Steam version of the game?

Another method to capturing screen shots is to press the 'prnt scrn' button and then immediately open an image editing program, such as 'Paint' and then pasting the image into the program and then saving it.

It is easy to attach a save game or any file to a post. Start a new post or edit an existing one, click on the 'Go Advanced' button at the bottom, then press the paperclip icon on the menu bar to attach your file.

It really sounds to me like your problem is unique to your system/settings and you may have to reinstall the mod.
    Last edited by Stylix; January 08, 2012 at 03:21 PM.

Is this a boxed or Steam version of the game?
    It is a boxed version, US-Gold Edition to be specific.

It is easy to attach a save game or any file to a post. Start a new post, click on the 'Go Advanced' button at the bottom, then press the paperclip icon on the menu bar to attach your file
    I understand how to post an attachment to the forum, but what I meant was I'm not sure if I'd know how to actually go about externally saving a specific saved game containing the battle in question to my desktop so I could attach it to the forum so that you can try it yourself.

It really sounds to me like your problem is unique to your system/settings and you may have to reinstall the mod.
    That could be. After reviewing the KGCM Patch 4.2 + KGCM Patch 4.3 Download Thread again, I noticed the version of the game that I currently have working appears to be KGCM because it doesn't have the new factions mentioned in the first post in that thread, such as Wales, Norway, and Novgorod. Even though I had downloaded KGCM patches 4.2 and 4.3, they don't seem to be active. I'll attempt to reinstall the patches and see if it works this time.

I completely uninstalled the mod and the patches. After installing KGCM 3.0, should I install the 4.2 and 4.3 patches in C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod or C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod\mods?
    Last edited by Stylix; January 08, 2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Double Post

I completely uninstalled the mod and the patches. After installing KGCM 3.0, should I install the 4.2 and 4.3 patches in C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod or C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod\mods?
    Install patch 4.2 to C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War

Next patch 4.3 must go to C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod

Notice that they are not installed into the same folder.

Saved games are placed in the C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod\saves folder. Just save the game before the battle, name it something you will remember, and then compress the save game, it will be named <yourfilename>.sav, into a zip or rar file and then attach. I included this just for your future information, because I believe that with a successful reinstall, it should work fine.
    Last edited by Stylix; January 08, 2012 at 05:07 PM.

Thank you very much! I finally got 4.3 installed correctly!

However, I tried made some modifications to the descr_strat file (such as names of different characters and the amounts of money for different factions) and now when I select any faction for the imperial campaign and I press 'start,' instead of starting the game, it takes me back to the "Single Player" menu. I also edited the descr_names and descr_names_lookup so the changes would be consistent. Unfortunately, I didn't save the original text of descr_strat because when I've edited the names of characters in the past, it worked fine afterwards, but I think perhaps because I changed some of the factions amounts of money and the "faction creator" for several settlements (for example, changed the faction creators of Cork, Galway, Donegal, Dublin, and Wexford from "england" to "ireland," Caenarvon from "england" to "wales," Aberdeen from "england" to "scotland," etc.) this may have caused this problem to occur. What would you recommend that I do in this situation?

Thank you very much! I finally got 4.3 installed correctly!

However, I tried made some modifications to the descr_strat file (such as names of different characters and the amounts of money for different factions) and now when I select any faction for the imperial campaign and I press 'start,' instead of starting the game, it takes me back to the "Single Player" menu. I also edited the descr_names and descr_names_lookup so the changes would be consistent. Unfortunately, I didn't save the original text of descr_strat because when I've edited the names of characters in the past, it worked fine afterwards, but I think perhaps because I changed some of the factions amounts of money and the "faction creator" for several settlements (for example, changed the faction creators of Cork, Galway, Donegal, Dublin, and Wexford from "england" to "ireland," Caenarvon from "england" to "wales," Aberdeen from "england" to "scotland," etc.) this may have caused this problem to occur. What would you recommend that I do in this situation?
    Congratulations on the successful install!
    You should always make backups before you edit any file.

I have attached my desc_strat.txt file. Try to replace yours with this one. If that doesn't work and you cannot identify which file has been incorrectly edited, then you will have to install again.

Also, be sure to check out the M2TW modding forum for quides, tutorials and help in making modifications to this or any mod. This type of assistance really goes beyond the scope of this forum.

atila9000's Avatar Decanus

i have the same problem and fixed it with the HUD battle file, but the problem continues in some way. the pause window appears all white, as well as the state icons, like the icon which says that that unit is hidden, the happy face, and other stuff.
    in the campaign map, its kind of the same problem, but in this case the city's main info is in a huge window blocking most of the map, the campaign HUD basically doesn appear, and the construction window only shows the building, nothing else. any ideas?

i am still having that problem as well. On my mac, the campaign screen overview when you click on the settlement, everything is all white and shifted down. Do you guys have any suggestions to fix it?

Did you ever figure out how to fix it? I am having the same problem

@Virhibernis

Try this first:
    IF IN BATTLE YOU GET THE WHITE UI THEN DELETE m2tw/mods/kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod/data/ui/battle.sd

On my system the path is: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod\data\ui\battle.sd

Just commenting to say that this fixed the issue for me, many thanks!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Applying my old guide should fix it for any future mods - it's based on the same cause, eg issues with SD files.
    Given the age of the mod (originally not based on kingdoms executable) I am not sure why I didn't include it in my repack of KGCM. but my later patch takes care of it:

Patch 5.0.002 - 611KB
    - corrected formatting in win_conditions
    - provided 'block graphic' fix
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 22, 2021 at 03:43 AM.