Thread: The Illustrator ~ 5th Edition

abbews's Avatar The Screen Door Slams

Default The Illustrator ~ 5th Edition

Introduction
    Welcome readers to the fifth edition of the Illustrator!
    Long time has passed since the fourth edition of the Illustrator, and we hope you haven't forgotten about us.

This edition we have plenty of interesting content to share with you. With his debut here on the Illustrator, Apple has made an amazing article about modern user interfaces. We got an interview with the graphics phenomenon TheatroN and a collection of fantastic tutorials from around the web. That, and much more!

I would like to thank the entire Illustrator team for this edition. A special thanks goes out to Aanker who served as an excellent director for this publication.

With that said, I wish you all a joyful read and a happy new year! May the new year bring happiness to all of us.

- Abbews, Illustrator director.

Illustrator 5th Edition Staff
    Aanker | The Creative Quill
    Louis Lux| Graphics Competition
    Sniper_LTU and LuckyLewis| The Artist Lounge
    Aanker and Louis Lux | Tutorial Wrap Up
    Apple | User Interface; the Current Direction
    Louis Lux and Sniper_LTU | Freebie of the Month

Table of Contents
    Introduction
    1. Competition Rundown
    The Artist Lounge
    3. The Creative Quill
    4. Tutorial Wrap Up
    5. User Interface; the Current Direction
    6. Freebie of the Month

1. Competition Rundown
    Click Here to View

Competition Rundown

The Illustrator has been on break for quite some time now. Therefore, you won't see a full competition rundown this edition. It would simply take up too much space. That's why we've only included a few competitions, the rest can be seen in the Graphics Workshop and in the Art Staff Report.

We do not cover the POTW, UESW and the VOTM this edition, but we hope you will still enjoy the read.

GC #120 [TWC Minecraft]

A very popular independent game with a growing community got his own GC competition with great results. Entries were both creative and appealing. The winner was blur 1811:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

A very well crafted piece, with a good use of lighting and blur effects.

Skyn0s entry got second place with a more to the point entry:

GC #121 [Night Sky]
    The winner of this interesting theme was Worm with this piece:

Truly breathtaking image, Worm blends together depth, mystery and scale in this piece.

Legless Lannes made a piece with the same sense of scale and mystery but a bit more adventurous

GC #122 [Heraldy]
    KDK emerged the winner of this very challenging theme:
    An exquisite piece, we can see the attention to the detail with the careful embossing of the metal parts

GC #123 [Propaganda]
    GC's gold medalist abbews showed us he still got it with a nationalist take on the propaganda theme

The highlight of this piece is the good use of typography and color that sets it apart.

GC #124 [Cold]
    Finch was the winner with this chilling piece (pun intended) :

I don't know exactly what was done here but it looks damn good.

Others took the theme in very different directions, like Sniper_LTU with an elegant entry and Ishan with an animated entry

GC #125 [Superhero Poster]
    Legless Lannes rose to the podium with this entry:

A well rounded piece with many strong elements, especially the blending of the central figure.

A different approach by Skyn0s, but equally strong, almost brought the competition to a tie brake:

Art Staff Report
    To see the latter results from the Graphics Competition, read the Art Staff Report. There all the latest competition winners are recorded.

2. Artist's Lounge
    Click Here to View

The Artist's Lounge: TheatroN
    Welcome to the Artist‘s Lounge. Today you‘ll be presented with one of the most talented and dedicated members to walk the face of TWC! Holding superb video editing and special effects skills welcome in theatroN.

Now many people probably wonder where did the history behind theatroN’s nickname start, so continuing the tradition of telling the story of the article’s highlights here’s the one behind his:

‘‘It's actually not that big of a deal. Like 2-3 years ago I was in a history class and we were reading about the ancient Greek culture. I came about the chapter about their theatres which translated to the Latin word, "theatron". I immediately liked it, and it was not before some months that I realised that it was actually quite a perfect fit due to my interest in movie making.’’
    So there you have it, a very fitting name indeed for a modern VFX (Visual effects) artist. But wait, all this talk and all, but what does he actually do? Well, to make it short; he takes videos, but a bigger part of his job is so called ‘post-processing’. During that stage the original video receives a dose of visual and special effects, sounds and so on. But it’s hard to describe the process itself and it’s a lot more pleasing to view the results. Here are a couple of examples from theatroN’s gallery:

You can view more here. Now, theatroN will answer a few questions (as in any other proper interview) about himself and his work:

Sniper_LTU: How did you start off being the artist you are today?
    TheatroN: Well. About 4-5 years ago I did my very first purchase of video editing software, Sony Vegas 6.0. A program I've become so familiar with that I still use it today for all my video projects and then render it in the newer version 9.0. I first started out on a fun little project where I'd film my father every time we were on vacation or travelling and do some interviews with him. He works as an anthropologist so he travels a lot.
    Never really finished the project, but decided to call it "The Travelling Dad."

Click here to view

S: What was (in your opinion) the breaking point of your skills?
    T: I would say that the purchase of M2TW really sparked something in me.
    I played RTW for some time before going to the next in the series, and soon after I discovered Cine-Ed and the stuff on YouTube already that was created using it. I was blown away and amazed by the prospect that you could actually create this using this lovely game.
    From there I really began to explore the possibilities of what you could do using the game from a cinematic point of view and began using Vegas a lot more.

A couple of years back I purchased the game; Battlefield: Vietnam, which I spent a great deal of time on. I evidently found a Machinima done in the game on YouTube which just blew my mind.
    I was just amazed by the effects, and how they could make the game look so cinematic. That was definitely a large contributor to getting me started on machinimas myself.
    Check out these guys second Machinima in BF2, "Sands of Fire", as well. Truly mind blowing stuff.

S: How much time did you dedicate to your work in the past and how much do you now?
    T: When I started doing machinimas and short videos I did not dedicate that much time to it as I do now. At that time I used most of the time trying to figure out how to improve in programs like Cine-Ed and Vegas. I was not very concerned about the aspects of post-production and improvement of the visuals as I am now. When I do videos now and the last year I'd spent a lot of time on the post production. I really don't like the recording part of doing a video that much. It's really mostly about the post-production for me. When recording I can barely wait to quit the game and begin my work in After Effects, because I'm beginning to see the possibilities in the shots.

S: Any general mistakes that you've done in the past and remember till today?
    T: As for my experience with video editing I really can't recall anything that I truly regret… Maybe with the exception of not joining and beginning my work here on TWC earlier. Plus not seeing the cinematic possibilities in the Total War series. The feedback and seeing the work of other video makers really helped me a lot and gave me a lot of motivation to continue doing this.

Click here to view

S: Are you considering (or already considered) doing it for a living?
    T: Yes. I'm currently taking a BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts) in Animation & Visual Effects online at the San Francisco based university, Academy of Art. My dream career would definitely be working at a company like Digital Domain or Double Negative doing visual effects for feature films.

Lucky Lewis also took the opportunity to interview theatroN

Lucky Lewis: Can you explain the process when making your excellent videos? Do you record all the footage all at once and then edit? Or is it more free where you're constantly in and out of the game to get more footage?
    TheatroN: When I start doing a video, I usually have some idea or draft in my head of what I want to create, or I've gotten guidelines from a client.
    I then set up a custom battle and carefully think about the map and times of day to achieve the right atmosphere and lighting.
    I love major battles, but when recording I tend to crank down the unit numbers down a bit to get a better FPS, even with my system, it takes a lot when you run it maxed out at 1920x1080.
    When I do promotions or shorter videos I tend to only play the battle once.
    I don't use replays since the possibilites with camera are much better when you play in real time. So I basically just start off the battle and shoot different scenes where I see the need to.
    I always record too much, so that I have the option to pick out the shots I like the best.
    I think the only time I played a battle through several times was during the making of the Scorched Earth series, especially "Part Three".
    But for the most I tend to do the recording as quickly as possible, as I really do fancy it that much. It's mostly the post-production that appeals to me.

L: Screenshots aren't always just about the editing so what do you look for when taking screenshots in-game? Are there any particular things you look out for?
    T: Well, a good composition and good lighting. Those are the key elements for me. I actually tend to do a lot of marching screenshots, because I never have the patience to finishing a game or get to the part where the units actually engage in combat like melee. Too bad, because you can really achieve some spectacular shots in the midst of fighting.
    I always look out for not taking shots that resembles a game too much.
    Like doing tricky or daring angles so that the shots don't look like something you would see in a gameplay video. The more cinematic the better.

Click here to view

L: As the most successful POTW competitor and the only recipient of the Gold Medal, what do you think makes your images stand out from the rest?
    T: It's a good question. One that I really can't fully answer, because every time the fine artists at the screenshot competitions submit their shots, I'm thinking that I will have a really hard time winning this one.
    I guess it's the time that goes into the editing for me. I love it.
    I can at times overdo it, simply because I spend too much time on the shot adding small treats that in the end blur out each other and result in a messy shot.
    My goal when doing screenshots is basically to impress people the most. Get them thinking, "How did he do that?", or ,"I wish I could do my shots like this".
    It's not cause I wan't to seem superhuman, but more that I want people to see the amount of work that I put into this.
    Can't get enough feedback, or constructive critic and that is definitely the number one motivater for me to keep doing this.

At the end of the day, theatroN is one of the artists that are worth looking up to. Though at the same time always worth giving feedback to. We wish him best of luck in the future projects and personal life. We thank theatroN for giving us the opportunity to interview him for the Illustrator.

3. The Creative Quill
    Click Here to View

The Creative Quill
    Hello again, readers of the Illustrator’s 5th Edition!

Whenever someone shows some considerable skill or aptness in some task, people will always ask “how long did it take you to become that good” or “how should I do to reach your level of skill?” The phenomenon is, for instance, commonly encountered on art publication websites such as DeviantArt or, closer to our own locality, in the Graphics Workshop when, let’s say, Cedric37 uploads some of his absolutely striking UI pieces ( http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=467495#art2 ). These questions often act more as words of praise rather than true cries for answers, but at the times when the questioner really seeks a friendly advice, the answer might feel a bit unsatisfying – after all, how should one answer such a simplified, in fact complex question in the limited space of a readable post?

That’s why this article was written. The purpose of this article is to delve deeper into how an artist can evolve in talent and ability. It is by no means definite, as each artist is different from the other, but it seeks to outline the general points of how to improve successfully.

Let’s begin with the question itself. The question implies that the aspirant artist, in our case, would like to be comparable, at least in skill, to the artist he is looking up to. When it comes to art, such comparisons are often counter-productive unless you really like to compete and can take a few sudden self confidence hits (browsing for digital art was one such hit that I took just when I started out). Furthermore, art is, after a certain point, very subjective and, as we art fans are often keen to forget in our long debates over who drew the meanest, ugliest, man-slaying ogre: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So when you want to improve your skill, be it from the lowest of levels, you should always begin with comparing yourself to… You.

Not only does this offer increased self confidence (“oh, look at how much I have improved!”), but noting how one handled shading, lighting, general composition etc. with lesser means also highlights one’s strengths and weaknesses. Perhaps you once liked to make your signatures too dark, to the point of its features being nearly indistinguishable; it might very well be that you still add insufficient amounts of light, or that the ratio between text and image is not well balanced.

It is quite fascinating to see how one acquires techniques and new ways of solving artistic problems over time; that’s probably why I enjoy looking at my older work – from a few years or so back – so much. Even over small spaces of time – four to six months – improvement can be quite readily seen with sufficient experimenting, which, of course, brings us to our next point.

Experimentation, in the context of this article, is finding new techniques by making sketches, combining new elements, etc. Are you a signature artist specializing in animation? Try making something that involves transparent elements. Do you make matte paintings? Tweak around with lighting values and see what happens. When you experiment, the result doesn’t necessarily have to be very successful in comparison with your mainstream work, or even seem very “necessary” at all at the time. The entire purpose of experimentation is to find new approaches, new styles, and new perspectives. Eventually, you might just find the right moment to evolve the skills you have gathered through experimentation, by tackling a larger project.

Taking on a larger project is a quite refreshing experience, and it hopefully enables you to apply the skills you have learned through experimentation and endless practice. I don’t want to draw too many examples from the artwork I’m mainly working with (drawings, paintings, sketches etc.), but the best possible description of a larger project, in comparison with a minor piece, would be the difference between a sketch and a full-size, multi-hour painting. In Total War texturing, it could be compared to the difference between a character image (finding an image and then applying edits if you prefer manipulating) and a full-blown UI (finding different stocks, using seamless textures, multiple facets of manipulation involved).

When putting down a lot of time into one piece, you will assuredly both learn how to use your techniques efficiently and how to combine smaller details into a larger whole, without making the work seem inconsistent. It also functions as a benchmark of sorts, since you will easily be able to see where your limits are: is more attention to detail required? Do I need to add more color variation?

Between experimentation and full-blown, multi-hour work, are the smaller creations. Although they might seem like little pointless minions beneath an overlord, minor works provide virtually endless practice. If you like to draw, then you should draw a lot – whenever you can, in fact. Make sketches of people, vehicles, objects, plants, animals etc. If you prefer signature-making, well, then, make a lot of signatures at the requests of TWC members. This way, artistry and creativity will come naturally, and the feeling of directing the tip of a pen across a paper or swapping layers in GIMP or Photoshop will turn from awkward and clunky to natural and fluid. This, of course, applies to techniques you may perfect or learn from experimentation or huge projects. Did you just find an interesting way to use a font in combination with some special effects? Practice it until you can do it in your sleep, with your hands tied behind your back.

Lastly, if you have tried experimenting, large project works, and many hours of practice, and you still just can’t achieve that special “look” you want, there is always the flanking option, as one could express it in military terms. “Borrow” some knowledge from someone else – read a tutorial, or look at someone else’s work in detail (but remember not to compare yourself with that artist!). When reading a tutorial, it is important to remember that while making it, the artist worked with from his own talents and abilities, and by following the tutorial in absurdum (e.g. copying every single pen stroke made by the creator), you might just not get the most out of it. A better approach is to take inspiration from the tutor’s technique, and then analyze how you can apply what he/she did with your own skills. Of course, this is less applicable if the creator showed some interesting filter options or ways to handle layers.

In the end, by combining these “steps” or “points”, you will be able to improve your art over time. It is however important to note that improvement does not come in huge packages, very quickly, but is mostly a gradual process, only sometimes with clear distinctions between your works when you have acquired a skill very suddenly and then used it widely. Do not give up just because you can’t seem to get anywhere the first week, or even the second week. After some months’ time, you might just be able to look back at that first sketch, and see how you gradually added details until you came to where you are now.

Thanks for reading,
    Aanker
    The opinions expressed are solely those of TWC member Aanker.

4. Tutorial Wrap Up
    Click Here to View

Best of the Best Tutorials In this issue of the TWC art publicaton the Illustrator, we've gathered tutorials from around the net that have assisted some of ours resident artists in a number of ways. We invite you to take a look at some stunning ways of being creative with your image editing programs!

How to Create a Star Field
    An excellent cursory tutorial for those of you who would like to turn your space pieces more interesting, and seek to improve your skills by stellar proportions (get the pun?)! The tutorial can be used to create pieces like this one by Legless Lannes giving a sense of scale and beauty to your creations.

Create Gold Ornamental Text
    A great tutorial on how to create your own custom baroque typography by combining several stock images. Our own Illustrator header was made by following this tutorial.

How to Create a Flaming Photo Manipulation

This tutorial shows how to set aflame a photo by using stock images and simple techniques. In the end you get a nice looking illustration like this guitar player.

http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/ph...-manipulation/

How to Create a Layout
    This tutorial goes more in-depth on the designing process starting from a hand drawn layout to the finished digital piece. The original uses as an example a coffee shop menu and this one was made for a perfume magazine add.

5. User Interface; the Current Direction
    Click Here to View

User Interface; the Current Direction

If it’s one thing I’m passionate about that would be or the user interface.

I’m the kind of guy who could ditch a program due to a badly designed toolbar, scream in rage if unable to
    find a feature or simply quit if forced to endure an ugly font.
    And so, when asked about writing an article for the Illustrator, it wasn’t really that hard to decide upon the subject.

- Viktor Tärnholm, 2011

The user interface, commonly known as the UI, is the layer that we all use for everyday tasks, be it on one’s
    computer, one’s phone, mp3 player, TV or alarm clock. It is the guiding hand that helps us interact and perform
    complex manoeuvres whilst not having to know the underlying code for such a task. The UI is what bridges the gap
    between computers and non-geeks.

Some may not know exactly what a UI looks like and that’s understandable, the word is not always used correctly.
    Simply put, it is the textures upon the code that one interacts with; it is the buttons, the menus and even one’s
    wallpaper. Then why is the UI so important if it is only an overlay? This is where it becomes harder to decipher it
    from plain coding. UI’s include how one interacts with the menus and buttons, their placement and how they are
    animated. And a great UI masters them all.

Since the introduction of the iPhone in 2007, the industry saw a shift from peripheral based UI’s to touch based
    interfaces. However the then largest platform, the Personal Computer, did not see much development until this very
    year, with the launch of Apple’s Mac OS 10.7, “Lion”, and the developer preview of Microsoft’s Windows 8; despite
    Window’s unsuccessful venture into the mobile market.

Microsoft’s saw huge proportion of their customers abandoning their mobile platform in favour of the newer Apple and
    Google powered phones and their modern operating systems, “OS”. Consequentially, Microsoft developed Windows
    Phone 7, “WP7”, an entirely new platform (something which they had not done in years) with little remains of the
    stationary Windows operating system.

Other than not being blindly based upon Windows and its limitations, WP7 launched with a groundbreaking UI based
    upon interactive “tiles”. The design philosophy behind this is that all important information should be “glance able”
    from the Home screen. This is still, to this day, a philosophy untouched by any other major mobile OS.

It is now over 3 years after the introduction of WP7, and even if it has not gained any major traction in the mobile
    space, it has been a major influence for Microsoft’s portfolio, of which the Xbox 360 just recently saw the benefit;
    and the forthcoming Windows 8 is taking major influences from.

Although many users think of Apple, and to some extent Android, when asked about tablets, it was Microsoft who
    made the first big push. However, Windows tablets running Windows for PC with very little touch optimizations failed
    to sell, and Microsoft and their partners left the market shortly thereafter.

It was not until late January 2010, when Apple introduced the iPad, that the tablet market took off, selling 14.8 million
    within the first year. Microsoft and their partners quickly tried to ride on the iPad wave introducing multiple tablets
    running Windows 7, none of which sold well.

The iPad used the same, well tested and much loved OS which had been successfully used on the iPhone whilst
    Microsoft used Windows 7 with a custom touch overlay.

By contrast, Apple came from an utterly opposing situation. Still riding on the wave of success from the iPod, they
    launched the iPhone in the summer of 2007, which sent shockwaves through the market. Instead of simply using their
    desktop OS, Apple took solely the underlying components to construct their mobile operating system. The result;
    a tailor-made and by far more touch friendly UI, considered to be the gold standard.

Less than three years later, when Apple presented their take on the tablet, they used their mobile OS, enhancing the
    applications for the large screen, instead of applying the fully fledged desktop counterpart.

Now, almost three years since the introduction of the iPad, Apple owns over eighty percent of the tablet market,
    their competitors struggling to take even single digit percentages. Apple had seen the importance of a great native UI
    for the touch based mobile market, developing both the devices and the interface from the ground up to meet the
    demands of the users. It gave them a huge lead in this new emerging market, and has, thus far, already alarmed
    much of the industry. Their competitors were beaten by setting the interface as the marketing point, not strictly the
    hardware or software capabilities.

Although Apple appears to be the dominant force behind interface development, the competition is not stagnant.
    Microsoft’s next iteration of their desktop OS, Windows 8, presents some greatly needed additions and modifications
    to the UI front.

By bringing the modern Metro UI to their desktop counterpart, Microsoft is moving forward to a more tablet friendly
    interface and betting their entire tablet strategy upon this, something which so far seems to be paying off.

Users will still run Windows as one would on the desktop, but without any of the limitations one comes to
    expect from Windows.

Simultaneously, Apple is not afraid of rebranding their desktop OS for the touch generation. Introducing OS X Lion,
    Apple said they were adding back to the Mac features originally introduced in iOS. Lion presents numerous
    interface improvements, showing Apple striving to unify their interfaces on both their desktop and mobile devices.
    Everything from how the scroll bar disappears when not in use, to the new iOS styled app drawer, is inspired by iOS.

So what will be the future of the User Interface, how will the next iteration look and feel? Will we interact with our
    products as Star Trek’s writers once imagined, or will we simply see some minor developments?
    Either way, judging by how the market has moved in recent years, it appears to be transitioning towards
    highly sophisticated voice controls. Apple’s recent Siri beta is highly sophisticated in contrast with the older
    edition currently available in Android. However, Google is rumoured to be working on a major upgrade for that service.

Apple also appears to be heading towards the TV business, using their voice AI as the controller. In terms of the
    graphical counterpart, we see Apple going for a look reminiscent of real life objects, such as the leather stitched
    calendar, post-it note styled notation app and the retro looking calculator.

On the other side of the pond, we find Google, Microsoft and much of the web with a clean 2D look striving for a texture
    free canvas without any of the fancy drop shadows and other recent trends. Collectively, for both of these trends there is a
    greater reliance upon animations for more sophisticated transitions between content. However these are simply trends and,
    as in any other industry, they are likely to change within the coming years.

Written by Viktor Tärnholm (apple)
    Edited by Andrew Grant (Inarus)

6. Freebie of the Month
    Click Here to View

Freebie of the Month
    This edition's freebie is a set of unique ink splattered paper textures made by Sniper_LTU that can be used as backgrounds for graphic pieces or to give some expression to your drawing or concept art.

Happy New Year!
    - Illustrator team

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

Default Re: The Illustrator ~ 5th Edition

Good job guys, I'll give it a thorough read late on.

Happy New Year!

abbews's Avatar The Screen Door Slams

Once again a great edition lads, great work team!

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

I'll be chewing through this after the New Year looks interesting at first glance though!

Well done all and a happy New Year to you artists out there

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Great! Happy New Year everyone!

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Can't think of anything better to read on the buss toward the new years party.

Happy new year guys!
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Congratulations to all the staff on a wonderful issue! Reps all round
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

I'm getting home from my NYE celebrations to this awesome read, I should really be going to bed, but thank you, what an awesome community!

loet66's Avatar Senator

Hi,

Nice job !

Happy new year every one !

awesome job!

Doyle141's Avatar Primicerius

Great work

Good work gents.

Happy New Year to everyone involved in the Artist's Studio.

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Great work,great read!