Thread: first cohorts for romans

The Black Reaper's Avatar Hell's Gate

Default first cohorts for romans

i dont really think you should reduce the amount of men that are in the first cohort because in reality the first cohort was probably the bulk of a roman legion. it was merely 1/2 of it. the rest were other legionaries and auxilia units

i also have a suggestion:

do u think you can include the modding legions skins in the XGM mod? cause the last time i installed those and the text that was given by froggie my game ctd when i started a battle in campaign.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.0 GHz | CPU Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 + | Mobo: Asus m4a79xtd evo
    Ram: Corsair XMS3 2x4GB DDR3 1333 MHz | PSU: Antec Truepower 650W | GPU: Evga Geforce GTX 580

Under the Patronage of the Honorable Nicholas Rush

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: first cohorts for romans

Typically a legion consisted of 10 cohorts, plus a roughly equal number of auxillaries. Usually the first cohort numbered around 800 men, while the other cohorts numbered around 500, and the legion as a whole numbered 8,000 to 12,000 men. So the first cohort accounted for 10%, or less, of the legion.

In terms of representation in the game I don't think there is anything wrong with making first cohorts larger. They were in fact larger than other cohorts. But making them larger means you can stuff a lot more men into a full stack, and given the way that RTW works, that makes a huge difference to the game balance.

The ML files haven't been updated for 4.0.6 yet. If froggie doesn't have time to do I'll get around to it some time soon.

I used XMG 4 beta files for ML (for XGM 4.0.6). Didnt fight or play with Romans so far, but game didnt ctd while louding my greek campaign. Maybe those beta files is compatible, I don know.

It probably won't ctd - I haven't added any new units since froggie did those ones - but it will overwrite a lot of the economic changes.

Damn it, so confusing

Ill better go back XGM 3 (it has Senate :original: )

I've done the ML files for 4.0.6 if you want to stick with that.

OK, back to XGM 4. I hope I will be able to play something, before 4.0.7 comes out (probably after few hours). Things are really changing fast here

Quote Originally Posted by Xam Enyap
    ...I hope I will be able to play something, before 4.0.7 comes out...
    Funny you should mention that - 4.0.7 probably will be out sometime today. Saved games should be fine though.

After playing 4.0.6 a bit I was disappointed by the state of the AI forces. The main change is going to be a set of unique buildings that will spawn in AI faction capitals, and give faction wide economic bonuses.

Couldn't you increase the defense stats for Auxilia, so that they are actually an adequate replacement for Triarii, post-marian reforms? Ive alsways felt cheated by Auxilia when it comes to RTW, regardless of how historically weak compared to Triarii they may be.

Juus: I think I set them up so they are about as good as Thorakitai and Eastern heavy infantry. The thing is, Triarii were the elite veterens of the pre-marius army, while the Auxilaries are the lowest level locally raised troops of the post-marius army. They can't be as good.

Another question: Since urban cohorts had their stats reduced and numbers increased in this mod, why not just make them recruitable as soon as an Imperial Palace is built, like Pretorians were in vanilla? At the moment, there's no point building the top level barracks for Romans since you get better cohorts (Legionary and Legionary First cohorts) a level earlier.

I also agree in making this include with the next xgm version becuase right now i have know i idea on how it works and iam not that good installing these big files can someone help point me out on how to install the modd step by step by numbering it thanks.I just have to play it in greek mod instead of the rome vanilla. also where do you down load 4,0,6?
    Μολών λαβέ ! (Come and get Them!),"So much the better," replied Leonidas, "for we shall fight them in the shade."

Juus: I think I missed this question earlier. The Urbans are really just an improved garrison unit now. You can certainly get better units for combat, but the Urbans allow you to garrison cities with a unit that is good for population control, and decent for combat.

GREGORIOS TG: You can get the latest version of the mod here and instructions for using the ML pack here.