Thread: hello again

Default hello again

Hello again, everyone! It's been a long time. I've actually been very busy lately, although I occasionally still play and what-not. I see what you guys are doing - and I must say: "good job!" You guys have some excellent research done & RGyG - you're doing great on it also.

I got bored with how it is - so I've been thinking about working on my own version to play with. It's not going to be very much - but I'm going to just combine some of the best units from RTR 6.0 with those of IBFG (or well, the latest version I have). I plan to revert Roma to its glory from RTR 6.0 & include at least some Spartans, Macedonians, and possibly The Persians and some African units. I also plan to reintroduce testudos and phalanxes. I'm very excited to see how it works out. BTW - you seen the map from that thing?

Now THAT'S a map!

Ramon Gonzales y Garcia's Avatar Nobleza y Valor

Default Re: hello again

Quote Originally Posted by GershomPatmos
    Hello again, everyone! It's been a long time. I've actually been very busy lately, although I occasionally still play and what-not. I see what you guys are doing - and I must say: "good job!" You guys have some excellent research done & RGyG - you're doing great on it also.
    Welcome back!!! where have you been all this time? I thought we'd lost you :original: hope everything's going well with you. We all couldn't have done this without your work :wink:

I got bored with how it is - so I've been thinking about working on my own version to play with. It's not going to be very much - but I'm going to just combine some of the best units from RTR 6.0 with those of IBFG (or well, the latest version I have). I plan to revert Roma to its glory from RTR 6.0 & include at least some Spartans, Macedonians, and possibly The Persians and some African units. I also plan to reintroduce testudos and phalanxes. I'm very excited to see how it works out. BTW - you seen the map from that thing?

Now THAT'S a map!
    great looking map, however, we have something very similar and I feel that too many provinces in the Sahara isn't really a good thing, ditto the Ionian peninsula, as we want the action to happen in the middle of things, but with a little possibility for expansion for the fringe factions however, we work in different time frames and for their time frame, their map is probably the best :original: ...

btw, if u want to resurrect your old thread, I can sticky it for u or else u'd want t o start a new one, just give me a holler, PM or otherwise.
    Glad to have you back :original:

PS:did u see the new strat map units? I implemented your "less bright" idea and maybe for the next version will introduce new models, too (just found out it can be done)
    Ramon Gonzales y Garcia

INVASIO BARBARORVM II

Proud patron of Riothamus, Pompeius Magnus and SeniorBatavianHorse
    If we had gone so far, it is because we stand on the shoulders of giants

*deleted*

Quote Originally Posted by Ramon Gonzales y Garcia
    PS:did u see the new strat map units? I implemented your "less bright" idea and maybe for the next version will introduce new models, too (just found out it can be done)
    Thanks for the WB, friend. I like the idea - very cool additions. I've been keeping up with you guys, here and there - checking the threads.

Your guys' map looks good - I was just mentioning that it was basically already done through RTR was all. It doesn't matter how many Saharan cities (IMO) - but it is nice for them to have a good go at the world, considering they had a relatively "cheap" army & skills, etc. Have you seen how Vlad's work is coming along? I tell you what - when he does something - it takes WAY too long. I mean - his mod is nice and all - but he, like others, are forgetting that the company will soon have another title out before long, and that RTW is now...how old? I love playing it - but I also look for new releases from the company. :wink:

blessings,
    Gersh

p.s. i still offer my services for creating exe files if nobody else is doing so. :original:

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Wow Roman I like what you've done with my map. It's pretty much everything I was planning to do but was to lazy to bother with. THX for finishing it for me.

@Gershom:That sounds pretty crazy but I hope to see your idea some day. It could be an interesting "what if" campiagn.
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Quote Originally Posted by the celt
    Wow Roman I like what you've done with my map. It's pretty much everything I was planning to do but was to lazy to bother with. THX for finishing it for me.

@Gershom:That sounds pretty crazy but I hope to see your idea some day. It could be an interesting "what if" campiagn.
    Well I'll make a public release available once I get my 1.0 available - it will be kinda cheesy to begin with - but, "what the hay?" lol I'm using the original IBFG map & much of the background of it for now. Right now I'm logging everything I'm doing though, and going through steps so that I can backtrack & figure things out as I go along. I can't help it - I just get bored sometimes, and like to start over. You know how it is. I'm going to give each faction an equal opportunity if possible also.

Here is a preview of my step-by-step notes:
    This is my first step-by-step documentation effort – so that I can better track crashes, strange behaviors, and changes, etc. Hope you enjoy! 

1. I believe my first attempt will be to remove the Western Empire, Eastern Empire, and to simply make 1 “Roman Empire” – using the supplied banner from RTR 6.0
    a. I believe I will try to accomplish this by simply making Eastern Empire into the new “Imperium Romanum”
    2. First steps have been in moving some symbols – moved over 7 symbols from RTR – Greeks, Julii, Macedon, Parthia, Britons (prefer over current Romano-British symbol), Carthage, Egypt – have not renamed any yet. Under loading_screen\symbols
    3. Analyzing descr_sm_factions.txt files further for what needs transferred over or simply changed for names – know there are many dependent files in this game.
    4. Went into the descr_rebel_factions.txt and changed some values around – I had increased the chances before to make the game more “interesting” – but now simply find the amount of rebels on the map way too annoying, especially the pirate ships. Hopefully this will solve that problem – 25% is maximum chance for rebellion in any 1 territory.
    5. Deciding on whether to leave smaller factions such as lombardi, burgundii, empire rebels, and more.
    6. Reminder that original RTW folder in data/fmv still contains victory fmv’s for factions.
    7. Expanding descr_sm_factions.txt for now to include 7 additional/replacement civs integrating from RTR – need to remember to delete out some factions from IBFG & introduce these new ones, without going over limit (whatever it is).
    8. Under menu\symbols moving 7 faction symbols from RTR to IBFG (24 & 48)
    a. Could not find symbols for Greek faction – possibly in patch?
    9. Need to take note of unit changes for factions – where to change files, especially names of units & info, etc.:
    a. Under bi\data\text need to change info in export_units.txt
    b. Under bi\data need to change info in export_descr_unit.txt and export_descr_unit_enums.txt
    Of course - this didn't keep the Word formatting, but oh well. You can at least see where I'm going.

later dear friends!

Vivi Roma!

Ramon Gonzales y Garcia's Avatar Nobleza y Valor

Quote Originally Posted by GershomPatmos
    Well I'll make a public release available once I get my 1.0 available - it will be kinda cheesy to begin with - but, "what the hay?" ...later dear friends!
    Vivi Roma!
    looking very interesting, if you come across something interesting give us a holler here

@Vlad
    I am sure he is doing his best, it is not easy to do what he is doing, and all alone at that, I am amazed at the amount of work the guy has done. I am very lucky that I have been building upon a very good foundation (AR and you, GP) and have had a lot of help from other people (the celt, Hans Kloss, Juve, Koles, Mylae ) even people from other mods (Goth, Hross) and also being allowed to use stuff from other mods (AoD, ATW, EB, Goth's Mod, NTW, RTR ) to name a few (whew!!! sounds like my credit list already hope I didn't miss anybody ).
    I am sure when Vlad will finish what he is doing he will have a great sense of accomplishment, which is, after all, what all of us modders are really after, all being said; we don't ask for money (if only we could), we're not sure of recognition (goddam it give me the best modder award! :wink: ) heck my GF is getting ****** at me for being in front of the PC all the time (luckily, I have a very understanding GF and she hasn't threatened to leave me, yet... )!
    when MTW2 comes, some will grab it at once (I hope I can) some will wait a bit (till they can buy a new PC ) , and I am sure there will people who will continue to play RTW for a while. As you can see some people still play MTW1 (I still do once in a while but just couldn't get over the 2D graphics), just as there were "MTW sucks!STW rulez" people, there are "RTW sucks! MTW rulez" people, I am sure there will be a "MTW2 sucks! RTW rulez" people... heck there seems to be a few "M/R/S: TWsucks, CA sucks!, but I just like spending my time in a forum dedicated to CA games coz I hate them so much" people already out there... you get 'em all here at TWC
    oops, I'm griping already, not at you, but just at life in general
    Ramon Gonzales y Garcia

INVASIO BARBARORVM II

Proud patron of Riothamus, Pompeius Magnus and SeniorBatavianHorse
    If we had gone so far, it is because we stand on the shoulders of giants