Thread: Identifying Civil War songs?

Default Identifying Civil War songs?

I require help pls, and I do not know if these songs are authentic (though I highly doubt they wouldn't be) but can someone help me in identifying certain march songs/drum things/Civil War songs, as I've heard in movies and such like this?

One in particular I really want to know the name of is this one, which starts at 4:57 in this video:

Edit: I was gonna ask about a song in Gangs of New York, but someone on the youtube comment identified it (Lily Bell Quickstep)

I know it's th bugle call for cavalry charge, but does it have a name?

Also, can't find a video of it on Youtube, but also want identification of a song played in "Gods and Generals" during the (very brief) scene showing the Irish Brigade cross through the town of Fredericksburg, played on pipes.
    Last edited by AndariusHaliusScipio; December 28, 2011 at 04:31 PM.

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

Default Re: Identifying Civil War songs?

Also, can't find a video of it on Youtube, but also want identification of a song played in "Gods and Generals" during the (very brief) scene showing the Irish Brigade cross through the town of Fredericksburg, played on pipes.
    I think you mean this one? (0:50)

Would be also interested in this one.

"One in particular I really want to know the name of is this one, which starts at 4:57 in this video:"
    found it in the related to your 2nd video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=WChcIrQz8-E

Quote Originally Posted by Primergy View Post
    I think you mean this one? (0:50)

Would be also interested in this one.

No. Not that one. But hearing it, I am very interested in identifying that one, too. The one I was thinking of was in a scene before that. It was when they showed the name plate for Lt. Colonel Saint Clair Mulholland, with his epic mustache-less beard.

EDIT: ACtually, I found it. At the very beginning of this clip, and just seconds before the clip you posted:

Last edited by AndariusHaliusScipio; December 29, 2011 at 08:28 AM.

I think the first song in the video sounds a little bit like the march of the irish brigade... I've already heard the other one from primergy too, but sadly i can't remember it's name.
    Primergy if u say ur interested in this one, u mean u have in mind to put it into the game? for 2.65 u only used "frog in the well" if i'm right. I personally would really like to hear something like "jefferson and liberty" (glory) for the union, or "hell on the wabash", "the old 1812" and so on.

"Hell on the Wabash" yes I would like to hear a full track for the game mod. Closest it comes is "Fife and Gun" by Randy Edelman, two versions, from the soundtrack to "Gettysburg" which in the movie come immediately after "Hell on the Wabash" when the Iron Brigade is engaged, and plays off its melody.

Primergy if u say ur interested in this one, u mean u have in mind to put it into the game?
    If i get the name and a good enough drum and fife version, then yes^^.

Hinkel's Avatar Commander in Chief

Quote Originally Posted by AndariusHaliusScipio View Post
    "Hell on the Wabash" yes I would like to hear a full track for the game mod. Closest it comes is "Fife and Gun" by Randy Edelman, two versions, from the soundtrack to "Gettysburg" which in the movie come immediately after "Hell on the Wabash" when the Iron Brigade is engaged, and plays off its melody.
    We have "Fife and Guns" in as the main menu theme. Its a better version as in the movie, but its "Fife and Gun" from Randy Edelman

There are some very good "Hell on the wabash" plays on youtube, personelly I like this here very much:

But actually: The Iron Brigade never played this tune on the real battle of Gettysburg. It was a favourite song of the director of Gettysburg, and he ordered the band to play it. The Iron Brigade marched into Herbst Woods (were reynolds was killed) with this song here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXq_TSgt0SU
    Last edited by Hinkel; December 31, 2011 at 06:16 AM.
    --------------------------- The American Civil War for Total War ------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    We have "Fife and Guns" in as the main menu theme. Its a better version as in the movie, but its "Fife and Gun" from Randy Edelman

i thought Randy Edelman's version was better

Indeed I've heard the two (only two, shockingly) versions of Hell on the Wabash on youtube. All the ohter instances are either poorly performed, completely unrelated, or live re-enactors jamming.

Indeed I've heard the two (only two, shockingly) versions of Hell on the Wabash on youtube. All the ohter instances are either poorly performed, completely unrelated, or live re-enactors jamming.
    The version of the California Consolidated Drum Band is quite good. I've also seen a youtube "vid" with that one, somewhere ...

The first song is called simply "Drums of War". There is a version the "The Civil War" soundtrack by Old Bethpage Brass Band

If you want good Civil War era music, check out the 2nd South Carolina String Band and the 119th New York State Volunteer Band
    Last edited by SurfingDoc; January 05, 2012 at 08:03 PM.

Sorry for bumping up this old thread but is there still need for identifying the songs?

Most of the ACW Irish related songs are covered by David Kincaid with vocals usually but many of them are based on drum & fife tunes. You can preview listen to them on amazon.com if you want to. I only have 1 favorite myself, Kelly's Irish Brigade:

As for the drum & fife songs. As mentioned, Hell on the Wabash wasn't played as the Black Hats entered the field, that was "The Cambells are Coming" and "Red White and Blue".

Hell on the Wabash is an interesting topic. As to its origin it is said that Hell on the Wabash refers to the Battle of the Wabash which was an indian war battle fought on 4th of november, 1791. Or to Battle of Tippecanoe, fought on 7th of november 1811. And why nobody really knows is cause...

In drum & fife history there are various notations about songs called "Hell on...", but Hell on the Wabash doesn't come up as often as you thought it would when you look for dum & fife nowadays. Only a handfull of manuals list it. Some claim it's actually a normal song which was turned into a drum & fife version. Some others claim it simply isn't an original drum & fife tune.

In popular culture it's the 2nd Maryland Drum & Fife that made a really good version of it. I actually own it on cd. It became really populair due to it's use in ACW movies/series, specificly Gettysburg. It's a very catchy rather uptempo tune and that's probally why many people like it.

But its true background history? Nobody really knows...

I'm still kind of being a stickler about a name for the generic "Drums of War" thing. I even heard it in the game mod for the individual regimental drummers. But I cannot find a sound clip of it that lasts longer than 10 seconds or is sloppily done or is a random jam session.

Quote Originally Posted by AndariusHaliusScipio View Post
    I'm still kind of being a stickler about a name for the generic "Drums of War" thing. I even heard it in the game mod for the individual regimental drummers. But I cannot find a sound clip of it that lasts longer than 10 seconds or is sloppily done or is a random jam session.
    Have a link to what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaap View Post
    Have a link to what you mean?

starting at 4:57

That's "Coming of old 1812" just without the fifes.

Without the fife it becomes hard to identify. In the Gettysburg video skip to 5:27 and compare it to 0:27 of Old 1812. It's the same roll.

Could you please give me a title or download for the song? Upload it on youtube? Ive been serching this song for 2 years, and still cant find the exact version as the intro in the mod. Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMwarrior50 View Post
    Could you please give me a title or download for the song? Upload it on youtube? Ive been serching this song for 2 years, and still cant find the exact version as the intro in the mod. Please help.
    You mean the menu music of the mod? Since version 3 didn't exist for two years, I assume you mean the one from version 2. It's called "Fife and Gun" by Randy Edelman, soundtrack for the movie "Gettysburg" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kNeGtqP7zw the movie version. Version used in game is different.