Thread: A beginner in multiplayer

Default A beginner in multiplayer

Hello fellow Total War players!

I just recently began playing Total War online. In fact I just played my first matches today, Shogun 2 with DarthMod.

On Napoleon:
    I remember reading somewhere that battles using NTW3 are slow paced, allowing for careful planning and execution, and could last up to an hour, with a series of routing units, reforming, redeploying, etc... Is that correct?

So, how should I proceed in order to initiate on multiplayer?
    Also, people use the 40 units per army with this mod? I suppose that such thing must be amazing.

Alas, I think that you, hardened veterans, wouldn't be much interested in playing with a newcomer, so if by any chance there's another person trying to get started, please manifest!

Thanks for any info!

Default Re: A beginner in multiplayer

Defensore, you are most welcome to join our relatively small, but dedicated community.

This is the best MP mod out there (SP campaign comes shortly as well). In regular MP you control 20 units only, but in Historical Battles section (in fact, a mod in mod) you can control 20++ units. You host or join a game in same way as in vanilla NTW (watch for games in green). There is a steam group and a dedicated teamspeak server, where NTW3 players get together to set up games. I would suggest joining thelordz.org forum for more info on the mod and MP. Cheers!
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; December 27, 2011 at 01:42 AM.

Hi M.E.

Just two nights ago I managed to find a match in the lobby, and was given a proper introduction by some veterans, who were very helpful to me, and later I had a match with another newcomer like me. One thing I really liked about the mod is that a lot of times is hard to tell if you're winning or not; it seems the tide of battle can quickly change if you make some mistake.

I'll take a look in your forum and the steam group.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Defensore; December 28, 2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Grammar error

Dear Defensor:
    Glad to hear you are playing NTW3 - I am in many ways like yourself - learning to play MP
    I have a lot of friends who have been very helpful (and patient - lol) with me in many of my games. You are correct about the games being longer - but having your troops invisible and with a much larger map to play in - it is worth the extra time to play.
    The large (historical battles) are truly large and involve up to 80 units for you to manage. It is a little bit crazy but a lot of fun to play. I belong to a clan of very nice players that have been a big help to me....
    I would have to say that the level of "gentlemanly behavior" is well worth your continued play in the mod.... (V.2 ) should be coming out in the middle of January. This is because the mod designers want to have both MP and SP ready for everyone...

My name is Kayaker on Steam and would be happy to add you to my friends list - Most of the people that are included in my list are NTW3 players.

Anyone else you may know that would enjoy playing this wonderful mod, I will be happy to chat with.

Your friend,

Kayaker
    Last edited by Knife to the Side; December 29, 2011 at 09:20 AM.

Hello Kayaker,

Thank you for replying. It's nice to see other people like, learning the ropes! I must say I've had about 4 battles so far, and I already see a nice improvement in my skill. Also, 3x3 and 4x4 are a blast to play, despite the lag. Does it happens constantly?
    Also, it seems most if the community is very polite, the ones I've had contact are, at least.

I'll add up on Steam, and hopefully we can battle together!

See you on the battlefield.

The more battles you get in the better you will get a feel for the game. It takes some time and some losses to get going. There are alot of clans out there to join if thats what your looking for. Most of us learned the ropes with trial and error as well as ts. If you get of ts(teamspeak) you will meet alot of the guys and they can help with alot of your questions.

komodo's Avatar Laetus

Hi defensor
    Glad to see i,m not on my own as far as newbie players go, i too have played a couple of NTW 111 matches, 4v4, and was really quite amazed to see the difference in gameplay from NTW.
    Needles to say i was used as cannon fodder and muskett practice,I found some of the opposing players to be quite discurtious of me being a new player, so i,m up for getting some serious experience as soon as possible.So whenever your in need of an opponent or adversary dont hesitate

Hi Komodo,

I've found that in 3v3 or 4v4, being the "weakest link", I am almost always the first player to be attacked; hopefully this beggining to change. So far, I don't think I've more than 10 matches, and only once I've been treated in a rude way because of my skills in-game. My steam name is the same as it is here in the forum, hit me up if feel like it, and we can have some matches.

Play vs random players not vs clans members - they usually hunt for new player - in that way they load their ego

komodo's Avatar Laetus

Hi defensore
    I searched for your steam name but nothing came up (thanks for the reply) my steam name is also the same. I,m free all evening if you feel the urge to play, steam is running most of the time,Hope to see you for battle soon

@ Defensore & Komodo you guys can look me up for a game if interested. My steam name is the same. I am with the Napoleonics "N" clan. We strive to make the mod as competitive as possible and if you get a game with one of my clan you will be evenly matched up.

komodo's Avatar Laetus

Hi Bloody Bill
    Thank you very much for the invitation, i,m available most evenings to play a game ,including tonight.
    I,ve played ETW & NTW since release but this game is so so different, look foreward to playing as soon as poss.

@ Komodo, ill be around Sunday night for a game. See you on the Battlefield.

komodo's Avatar Laetus

Will do ,thanks B B

Thank you bloody bill. I'll look you up on Steam.

Semisalis

Add me too guys, fellow newbie. I am kankrusha on steam.