Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Operation Flashpoint

S.P.Q.R. Praetorian's Avatar Vicarius

Icon14 Operation Flashpoint

Just when I thought Total War as the most moddable game, I saw this. I damn near crapped a brick. The engine allowed them to take a bug infested and ugly game by default and turn it into something so detailed as wind affecting bullets, dying if inhaling too much smoke, etc. I am definitely getting OFP:Resistance for this!

Edited thread title ~Antissa

Was that necessary ?(S.P.Q.R. Praetorian)
    Last edited by S.P.Q.R. Praetorian; August 14, 2008 at 09:03 PM.

The Colonel's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Holy Crap!!!!

you never heard of OF's modability? i think i just crapped a brick

Serious J's Avatar Decanus

Take a look at the original Quake and you'll see just how far modding can go thanks to Id Software's stance on releasing source codes to their games a few years after release. Even now, 12 years later the modding scene is alive with huge advances in not only appearance, but engine capability. New clients allow for advanced lighting, physics etc...
    The strange days are coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious J View Post
    Take a look at the original Quake and you'll see just how far modding can go thanks to Id Software's stance on releasing source codes to their games a few years after release. Even now, 12 years later the modding scene is alive with huge advances in not only appearance, but engine capability. New clients allow for advanced lighting, physics etc...
    Sure wish CA would release their source code

TW source code would be horribly complicated. but then TW modders are extremely good.
    "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

Quote Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
    you never heard of OF's modability? i think i just crapped a brick
    I was never able to find any mods that weren't just grass addons, etc. Also I didn't take a major interest in OF until about a year ago. The turd that sold me the game gave me crack, and he wasn't English, so I didn't understand the instructions to play until 6 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by roy34543 View Post
    TW source code would be horribly complicated. but then TW modders are extremely good.
    Yeah, think........Things like having wind affect the bullets path, jet dog-fighting, etc, is like a Star Wars mod for TW. But then again, I guess that is what comes from 3 years of hard work.
    Last edited by S.P.Q.R. Praetorian; August 02, 2008 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roy34543 View Post
    Horribly complicated? How do you know

Dutchpower's Avatar Senator

Its ahead of its time.
    Batavorum miliaria.

"Tits or GTFO. You know the rules and so do I."

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

OFP is probably one of the most moddable games i've seen.... Thats why Bohemia Interactive is awesome You should check out the BI Forums and OFP.Info , theres A LOT more than just FFUR.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bi.../ikonboard.cgi

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/

You should check out the WW1 Mod and FFUR '85 .

Oh , and you could just get GOTY and get Resistance , Cold War Crisis and Red Hammer , it is 16 bucks on Amazon now which is just awesome. Oh and the BI patches really killed a lot of bugs , the game is only has a couple in it and I haven't even seen them yet , They also added missions and vehicles etc with them which is always a plus.
    Last edited by Turkeys!; August 03, 2008 at 07:10 AM.
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeys! View Post
    OFP is probably one of the most moddable games i've seen.... Thats why Bohemia Interactive is awesome You should check out the BI Forums and OFP.Info , theres A LOT more than just FFUR.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bi.../ikonboard.cgi

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/

You should check out the WW1 Mod and FFUR '85 .

Oh , and you could just get GOTY and get Resistance , Cold War Crisis and Red Hammer , it is 16 bucks on Amazon now which is just awesome. Oh and the BI patches really killed a lot of bugs , the game is only has a couple in it and I haven't even seen them yet , They also added missions and vehicles etc with them which is always a plus.

FFUR looks like the only one Ill really enjoy though. A question, can I run multiple mods of do I need to copy vanilla around for each mod I want like with RTW does?

And yeah, that is just the one I am getting and where I am getting it from. I am getting ArmA combo, so when I have a better comp I can play CWR.

ArmA is very nice, but it is a CPU and GFX card hog of a nearly infinite magnitude. You could bring a state of the art computer to its knees if you really pushed it with maxing everything (10km view distance, 16xHQAF, 16xQAA with supersampling on transparencies, etc... nobody seems to take those settings into account when they are talking about their performance)

The mods for ArmA are only now beginning to mature, but they're already somewhat exciting. There's one that models the fire control system on the M1A1 fairly well from what I read about it, and it's a blast (no pun intended) to play . . . you can shoot down a moving helicopter at 1mile away if you're good And that mod's been out for quite a long time. I think they're just now getting naval mods out for it, and supposedly there's an Osprey, an Iraq War mod, and probably half a dozen other mods in the works worth getting excited about

I recently reinstalled OPF and found my PC can no longer run it for some bizarre reason. All the graphical options have to be set to minimum for it to run, which makes it hideous. Apparently my computer is too good for the game .
    - As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University -

Quote Originally Posted by S.P.Q.R. Praetorian View Post
    FFUR looks like the only one Ill really enjoy though. A question, can I run multiple mods of do I need to copy vanilla around for each mod I want like with RTW does?

And yeah, that is just the one I am getting and where I am getting it from. I am getting ArmA combo, so when I have a better comp I can play CWR.
    If you want , you can simply make a mod folder. Just make a new folder and name it anything you want , example : @ModFolder 1 , then make a shortcut of the Operationflashpointresistiance.exe and then right click on it and click properties , at the end of the first line , type in -mod=@ModFolder1 or whatever you named your mod folder , make sure there is a space between " and the -. In the end it should look something like this :

"E:\Program Files\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE" -mod=Mymod1

If I sound a bit confusing you can also take a look at the wiki link here

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/modfolders

Also , when putting mods in it , make sure to make an addons folder for it .

Oh yeah and if you ever do feel like trying another mod like FDF , we could play some coop together
    Last edited by Turkeys!; August 03, 2008 at 11:37 AM.
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

Quote Originally Posted by dwringer View Post
    ArmA is very nice, but it is a CPU and GFX card hog of a nearly infinite magnitude. You could bring a state of the art computer to its knees if you really pushed it with maxing everything (10km view distance, 16xHQAF, 16xQAA with supersampling on transparencies, etc... nobody seems to take those settings into account when they are talking about their performance)
    No kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Wibbler View Post
    Apparently my computer is too good for the game .
    Nope. Mine is "too good" but it runs fine. Could be hardware conflict.

If you want , you can simply make a mod folder. Just make a new folder and name it anything you want , example : @ModFolder 1 , then make a shortcut of the Operationflashpointresistiance.exe and then right click on it and click properties , at the end of the first line , type in -mod=@ModFolder1 or whatever you named your mod folder , make sure there is a space between " and the -. In the end it should look something like this :

"E:\Program Files\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE" -mod=Mymod1

If I sound a bit confusing you can also take a look at the wiki link here

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/modfolders

Also , when putting mods in it , make sure to make an addons folder for it .

Oh yeah and if you ever do feel like trying another mod like FDF , we could play some coop together
    I'll need to try out some mods. And whats with this coop? That is a feature?

Coop=Cooperative which means that you can play with some other players like a team and go through a mission and stuff , most of the OFP community is based on it now and so is ARMAs. Oh and you wont need to make a mod folder for FFUR , it makes its own and its own shortcut too but you probably already know that.

Coop=Cooperative which means that you can play with some other players like a team and go through a mission and stuff , most of the OFP community is based on it now and so is ARMAs. Oh and you wont need to make a mod folder for FFUR , it makes its own and its own shortcut too but you probably already know that.
    Never knew about coop. The counterfeit copy I got stuck with is very limited and buggy.

And no, never knew FFUR made its own. I think this is going to be fun.

Yeah it is , they really did get a great pack of addons put together. Replacement packs rule . Oh and if your ever looking for a good Soviet campaign try out Retaliation , it is awesome and I believe it doesn't use addons so you can enjoy FFUR-goodness in it too.

Gah, I forgot how buggy this game could be sometimes. I was playing regular ole' Cold War Crisis on the "Alert" mission where a commander gets attacked in his jeep and you have to go clear the road. Me and my unit arrive, clear the path, reinforcements arrive with a truck and get shot. For some reason we couldn't enter the truck with a dead driver, so the commander orders us to walk all the way back to base. When we get there, nothing happens .
    - As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University -

Heh, the AI sometimes has its... moments. ArmA is no different, they do the exact same things sometimes.

Really you have to give them credit though - they're issuing orders based on a dynamic combat environment, and they're not very smart at all considering how many of them are being run on a single cpu at a given time, not even considering the game engine itself

EDIT: actually in ArmA they were totally incapable of driving through a town or across a bridge until like the 4th or 5th patch (well, I don't remember how many there were), or engaging ground targets with helicopters. I sometimes wonder about their design process for the AI, but then I realize how much it's really being asked to do and settle down because it's the best we've got in many ways.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast