Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greek era mod for MTW2

Default Greek era mod for MTW2

:original: Hi there,

As you may have already known, i have decided to halt mediterranean total war until medieval 2 is released.

I would like to take this opportunity to announce a greek era mod for medieval 2. I plan it to be based around the mediterranean, and i want it not really going northwards into places like Gual, as i would like a game based on the main powers of the time period- persia, the greek states, the ertruscans, samnites, carthage, and of course, rome.
    I think i will change the name as 'mediterranean' sounds a bit dull :original:

This game will be PERFECT for a greek mod, as troops in the unit are different. FINALLY, hoplites can look different and have different shield designs and whatnot like they ought to.

I think, because of the timeline for medieval 2, that this can be a mod spanning over 500 years, like M2 is promised to be. Therefore, I think a good starting date for the mod is around the time of the persian wars, lasting hopefully to imperial rome.

The map for the game, idealy, would go from iberia, across to the indian subcontinent, and be very large. I dont know how the campaign will work in M2 so im only guessing.

Now i know Promethus has announced a rome mod for M2, and this too would need an overhaul of the buildings. I would ask that if these mods get bigger that both mods would equally contribute to greek and roman buildings for all- its nicer to work together for things like this.

The factions also are dependant on the hardcoded limits of M2. also, with the campaign being uncertain, we can only guess to how many factions we can have.

I think as some 'core' factions would be as follows;

Sparta
    Athens
    Persia
    Corinth
    Macedon
    The boeotian league
    the Ionian League
    Thessaly
    Syracuse
    Carthage
    Roma
    Etruria
    The samnites.

This is only a plan though.

I would like to ask for anybody considering modding Medieval 2 to join up, or just say 'ill think about it'

This would be a perfect mod IMO, and would be amazing. This is only in research stages, and the progress depends entirely if Medieval 2 is moddable enough.

Please post any suggestions, or if you would consider joining when Medieval is released :original:

Regards
    Lentonius
    GREEK ERA MOD FOR MEDIEVAL 2- JOIN TODAY, THE ANCIENT PROJECT!!!
    http://z4.invisionfree.com/The_Ancient_Project/

Default Re: Greek era mod for MTW2

Modding positions:

its hard to decide 'postions' at this time, as mapping and things are going to be completely different, but here goes:

Historians welcome
    Skinners
    Modelers
    Anybody in helping the mod in any way!

Ok here is a quick sketch of a spartan levy-warrior, the name is uncertain though yet.

sorry for the cartoon-like drawing, i just cant seem to draw any other way :laugh4:

The helmet and plume are possibly items that will be interchangeable- the items that would make soldiers in the unit look different.

As for the historical accuracy im not sure of its accuracy, but this was just a quick draft.

Heres another 'teaser', completely inaccurate i know but its for promotion.

This is a draft of the map thats gonna be used.

The map and campaign are completely open to change due to new hardcoded elements that may be present. However, i have best tried to prepare for this;

Areas in Red are high priority territories. They are areas that cannot be left out, and at the bare minimum due to hardoded stuff this would have to be our map

Areas in orange are 2nd priority. They are areas not nessesary for the mod's developent, but are still quite important places for this time period, and these will certainly be attempted to put into the map.

Areas in yellow are desirable areas. They arent nessesary, but these areas would add expandability to the mod. These new territories depend also on the faction limit as to how we can go about expanding this map.

Regards
    Lentonius

Great! especially the art work

mac89's Avatar Biarchus

Maybe you should name it Hoplite TW or Hoplitos (i think) TW: Hellenism at its finest
    start thinking about the name first, everything else is just a given

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Nice artoworx.

I've sent you a PM.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Just a question that I hope isn't taken the wrong way: why do all modders go for such a huge timespan? I think 100-200 years of history is a much more manageable chunk of time and allows for a greater degree of flexibility in a mod. (fewer factions and unit types to deal with) It also allows for a manageable game using the much more appropriate 4 seasonal turns per year approach.

The timespan is large because he wants Rome and carthage in there as well.

In my opinion you're better off choosing one powerful ionian city (Halicarnassos/Miletos maybe) rather than having a league.

Also keep up with the art work, i like your style. Good luck!

Thanks.

Ive chosen a larger timeframe to include Rome and Carthage like Rez said, but look at M2:TW timeframe, it goes from about 1100ish up to the renaissance, so i see there should be no problem having a longer timespan.

heres another teaser pic.

Also, anybody willing to join is welcome :original:

LOL, first i tried to figure out if you are really serious or just messing around, by looking at those "roughdrafts", but my best advice is, to keep a copy of RTW handy while doing M2TW modding, since RTW has all the units for your mod, except some modeller needs to bump them up to M2TW graphic standards. So you got a good base to start off, i wouldnt be suprised if some other greek-style mod makers would join on, since they are already doing this or did greek-mods before.

p.s. Will the pizza-thrower units have some special move, like instead of throwing a pizza they throw a bowl of deadly pasta?

Leo, i'll do the historical research, my books just arrived, i'll change the names and all when the time is ripe, i think we should just recruit for now.

@Rez, the Ionian "league" is there to represent the Ionian revolt against the Persians.

“Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains saves both.” -Johannes Erwin Eugen Rommel.

"In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love; they had five hundred years of democracy and peace and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock."

You do realise they were not a unified force before Persian conquest? Furthermore few of them were even independent

But i do know what you mean. if they are to represent revolt why not have them as an emerging faction? At the start of your mod (550 BC?) they will mostly be under Lydian control anyway.

Actually what is the start date for the mod? And keep the toons coming!

Our mod begins around 500bc, but that may change, we'll have to wait for MTW2.

“Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains saves both.” -Johannes Erwin Eugen Rommel.

"In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love; they had five hundred years of democracy and peace and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock."

Quote Originally Posted by lentonius
    Thanks.

Ive chosen a larger timeframe to include Rome and Carthage like Rez said, but look at M2:TW timeframe, it goes from about 1100ish up to the renaissance, so i see there should be no problem having a longer timespan.
    Yes, but to achieve that they are using this abominable turns system that has no correlation to real time. Indeed, to keep the game playable they have had to use a 1 turn corresponds to 2 years system but to avoid inconsistencies with character aging and movement decided to make them 6month turns. To hide the obvious contradiction they chose to hide the year counter. As if that would work!

Personally, I'd much, much rather have a mere 100-200 years covered properly in 4 turns per year, each turn corresponding to a season ending up with 400-800 turns which would be about the max amount of time you could have a campaign run and still keep it playable.

yeah, i see your point, but i will prepare the mod for a longer timespan so that in any eventuality i can make a realistic, good mod. I think in reality the time span will be shortened but we dont really know yet how moddable medieval 2 will be.

Civitate

Well i am pretty sure that it would be fairly easy to mod the turns to be 2tpy or more.

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Well, if you want to make a good mod, you'll need to actually learn some history and forget the chronic 'teaser' pictures!

i do know history but unfortunately i cannot seem to draw people accurately :original:

hmm, i think i may have a stab at some 'proper' concept art
    Last edited by lentonius; May 16, 2006 at 01:07 AM. Reason: addition

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast