Thread: Does anyone ever try this tactic for city defense?

Default Does anyone ever try this tactic for city defense?

I had about 700 troops, 1 calvary(general) and the rest being a mix of Armoured hopilites and regular hopilites(im Greek by the way) and the Romans (Julli) had about 2,000 troops which consisted of hastati(sp?) and Principi's(sp?). I put all of my troops in the town square and evened out the troops making walls at every entrance. Somehow i managed to win and kill all of them except for 50, my general cleaning up the mess after my Hopilities repelled the roman troops time and time again.

By the way, i did this on H/H and none of my troops defended. Am i so late with strategy that ive just found this way defending cities or has nobody tried this?

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Does anyone ever try this tactic for city defense?

I've done this often when heavily out numbered, it's good fun also to leave a unit of low grade troops on one of the far walls, so when the enemy have all come into the city you can run them around to recapture the gate, and shout "There is no escape".

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Well if you are playing vanilla then I can see that as a great tactic since the Hoplites have phalanx. Phalanx troops are the best in cities as the tight spaces allows them to not be flanked by the enemy. I havent tried it myself but I know it can work.

.Socrates's Avatar I Love You

I mostly put them at the entrance of the gates, but I never put them near the saquare. Need to try that some time...
    Originally under the patronage of RZZZA. Under the patronage of the Black Prince, in the Royal House of the Black Prince.

^updated 6/28/10 (Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life)

I only do that when vastly outnumbered or faced with vastly superior units.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Well it also matters on what level of city it is, or at least what kind of wall it has. Any city with a StoneWall I might try to defend at the wall since we get the towers and gathouse. But I would probably try this tactic if it were a smaller town and a smalle wall.

I do this all the time with phalanxes. Give me four militia hoplites and I can beat a huge army. Just sit back and watch them break against my spears of doom.

Severous's Avatar Biarchus

Ive not used this tactic yet, not needed to, but Ive seen it discussed in other forums. Will use it if I need to.

The Plaza bestows morale (and other?) advantages to the defender. The attackers will arrive tired, less than full strength and piecemeal.

I prefer to kill them outside the walls. Would send mobile forces outside to distract and lure the enemy towards ranged units and wall towers. But in the heavily outnumbered scenario that wouldnt work when you are defending. You could always sally in those circumstances..the enemy just wait to be killed outside the walls. Run the clock down for a draw.

This was a sally from a fort but similar principle:

Sally forth against a big and strong Egyptian army. My army is good but not good enough to take on several Egyptian chariots and generals in the open field.

Regards
    Severous

Did my part in a Franks BI Succession campaign:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=118689
    Played a Mod called "End of Days" Picture based AAR is here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116509
    From last year. Final turn of vh/vh Egyptian campaign
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54262

Darkragnar's Avatar Member of Ordo Malleus

tHis tactic also works with SPQR's roman legions, just put ur legionares in shield wall formaiton and overlap them 2 or 3 more units u have an imprentrable wall of men and steel, the only prob is that in SPQR enemy troops tend to push your shield wall back alot, u best put this makeshift wall a little ways away so that when they get pushed they have pletly of pathway to falback on.

but in vinally ,this thing worked best with Macedonian Pikemen, if you hade 2 pikman (dosnt matter which quality) covering each pathway u could win any and all battles without ever getting 1 man killed.
    Member of the House of Marenostrum
    They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say ****, it's raining!

Flogger's Avatar Senator

I made a whole thread about this: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26814