Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrae Expugnandae 5.0 - Preview 2

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Terrae Expugnandae 5.0 - Preview 2

Here it is, the 2nd preview of the upcoming 5.0 version of my mod.

First off, a progress report. Beta testing is helping to eliminate all of the bugs, with only a few remaining, mainly to do with missing unit cards, which i am about to start work on. I can now give an estimated release date of around a month, but this can change.

Now, onto the main part of the preview, detailing the transformation of Egypt into....

Ptolemaios

That's right, i've turned Egypt into a much more historically accurate version of the faction, though they will still keep the Egyptian style buildins on the cmapaign map and battle map as it adds more variety. They will also keep the Egyptian names, but get Greek portraits.

Unit list:

Ptolemaios will keep a couple of the Egyptian units, but will be getting lots of unique units.

Nubian Spearmen

These militia-like soldiers can fight in harsh conditions and they are cheap defensive troops for the Pharaoh's armies. Armed with a long, thrusting spear and a large wooden shield, these men are primarily defensive and can hold their own against cavalry. However, they can also be formed into phalanxes and sent against other infantry. Their lack of training and armour means that they should not be used to attack armoured or elite troops.

Machimoi Phalangitai

As war approaches, peasants, farmers and down-at-heel townsfolk can find themselves pressed into service as pikemen by their rulers. Due to their lack of armour they are best used as defensive infantry, absorbing enemy attacks, or screening the flanks of the main line.Equipped with a long pike some 6m in length (the sarissa) many ranks can bring their weapons to bear on an enemy, presenting a bristling array of spearheads to an approaching foe. They also carry swords for use when the enemy breaks through the pike line.

Elliniki Phalanx

Elliniki Phalanx form the backbone of Ptolemaios battle lines. In phalanx formation these troops can be used to pin the enemy line in place, while mobile forces wheel around the flanks to deliver a decisive blow. The Elliniki Phalanx are drawn from families with decent resources, as these men need to provide leather cuirass armour and a metal helmet for protection. Elliniki Phalanx carry a small shield strapped to the left arm, leaving both hands free to brandish a lengthy pike (the sarissa). Gripped in both hands above the head up to five ranks’ worth of pikes can be aimed at the enemy. Men in rows further back hold their pikes at a 45 degree angle, creating a shield to ward off enemy arrows. All Elliniki Phalanx also have short swords.

Basilikon Agema

Basilikon Agema are an elite guard unit in the Ptolemaios army. Because of the situation Ptolemaios is in, it has created several elite units to fulfill its needs. Armoured in chainmail, with the thureos shield and the sarissa long pike, they are able to take on most enemies. Often used as the guard of the Royal Palace, they are part of the Royal Guard, and as such are some of the best troops Ptolemaios can recruit.

Klereuchoi Phoura

Klereuchoi Phroura are the elite of the Ptolemaois forces. When Alexanders Empire split into the Diadochi, Macedon and the Seleucids got all of the Hypaspistai, so Ptolemaics had to create their own elite unit. Armed with the Sarissa spear, and armoured with a bronze cuirass, greaves, thracian style helm and hoplon shield, the Klereuchoi Phroura is drawn from the upper echelons of Ptolemaic society, and are renowned in combat. They fight in the macedonian phalanx style.

Peltastai

Greek Peltastai advance at speed to pepper an enemy with javelins, and then withdraw in good order before a counter-attack can be organised. They are skirmishers and it is their task to harass and disrupt enemy units before the main battle lines clash. They are also adept at staging tactical ambushes. Peltastai are equipped with a clutch of javelins, a sword and a light shield, the pelte, which gives them their name as 'pelte-bearers'. They wear no other armour, and rely on speed as the best form of protection, and this isn't much protection should they be caught by cavalry.

Toxotai

Toxotai are rightly feared for the casualties they can inflict, but they are vulnerable in hand-to-hand combat. They are drawn from the peasant classes of all societies, as these are the people who need to be skilled hunters in order to survive. Learning to use a bow well is something that takes a lifetime and constant practice, and putting food on the table provides good practice. They are best used to weaken enemy formations, or placed in a spot where they can retreat and find protection from other troops.

Prodomoi

Prodomoi are fast moving horsemen armed with spears for maximum impact in a charge. They are not heavily armoured, and do not have shields for protection, relying instead on the old maxim of 'speed is armour' for protection. As a result, they are best used as a hit-and-run force, rather than as soldiers who can indulge in hand-to-hand combat. That said, they are excellent for breaking up skirmishers, attacking lighter infantry such as missile troops and pursuing already broken enemies to prevent them rallying and rejoining a battle.

Machimoi Cavalry

Machimoi Cavalry are armoured spear-armed horsemen capable of delivering a decisive blow. They wear armour and carry swords but do not have shields, so they are not necessarily at their best in prolonged close combat. However, when used to repeatedly charge enemy units they can have a tremendous cumulative effect.

Hetairoi

Hetairoi are a social and military elite, and fight as heavy cavalry using shock and mass to break enemy units. They are the direct heirs to the Companions of Alexander the Great and his father, Philip of Macedon, and they revel in this proud heritage. The Hetairoi ride the best horses and have the finest armour available; each is armed with a good lance and a sword for close combat. As heavy cavalry they can be a decisive arm of battle, and are able to charge down many opponents. They are best used as shock cavalry to break wavering enemy formations, but do need to be careful - as with all cavalry - when attacking spearmen. Bravery is of little use when galloping straight onto a row of gleaming spear points! Traditionally these men would be given land grants after great victories, giving them a personal stake in the battle's outcome.

Basilikoi Hippeis

This general has a bodyguard of loyal spear-armed and armoured cavalry to accompany him onto the field. Armed with spears, these men are shock cavalry, able to deliver a devastating charge attack; they are then well trained enough to fight effectively in continued hand-to-hand combat, even though they do not carry shields. Like all general's guards, this unit is best committed to the fight at the point of crisis, when the general's inspirational leadership and the combat power of his men can tip the balance.

And here are some pics of Ptolemaios fighting the Seleucids:

All skins for Ptolemaios done by me, and all new models. A big thanks to SARMATIAN LEADER for his help with the unit names, and the Europa Barbarorum team for the use of some of their unit names.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Default Re: Terrae Expugnandae 5.0 - Preview 2

Very nice, but 'Elliniki'? Did you get a modern Greek to do that one? Because you know, they're really not up to it

Well, it sounds better than Egyptian pikemen doesn't it?
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

Titus's Avatar Ordinarius

Lusted those are nice units,your work is great!

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

This is great, add the changes to the barbarian factions and Egyptians to the Mundus Magnus map and you have the RTW I always dreamed of.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

I am drooling at the sight of the new units Lusted! Ecellant work as always! I hope that the wait time can get vastly smaller tho, as I can not wait to play v5.0!

Nice looking, but I was hoping you would stick with the Egyptian faces since the macedonian nobility pretty soon adopted the Egyptian culture and became "pharaos".

What about some egyptian units...the desert axeman perhaps

Legionary Jezza's Avatar Praefectus

some units have been changed to make way for some greeks kind's because in this mod egypt are egypt/greek like faction. Because when alexander died his generals split his empire up and one of his generals who got egypt put some greek and egyption units in the armies.

Quote Originally Posted by Joar
    Nice looking, but I was hoping you would stick with the Egyptian faces since the macedonian nobility pretty soon adopted the Egyptian culture and became "pharaos".
    This should definitely be done for the Machimoi phalangites and other troops of low social standing. The social elite was rather purebred Greek, but from the middle classes down, it became markedly Egyptian. Of course one would eventually find "native blood" running in the veins of many upper-class people, but generally, the nibility was pretty proud of their Greek heritage and determined to keep it "pure".

Same holds true for the Parthians, BTW. If anything, it was more extreme - the Partian upper class was (probably) West-Central Asian in origin, and they always remained distant from the masses, genetically and culturally. They were nomads, after all, and it is rather rare that nomads conquered to impose their way of live on the conquered. That explains why the Parthian culture was all but wiped away in a short time after the (native Persian) Sassanids took over - the "Parthian culture" had always been a thing of the ruling elite and did not take root in the general population. From what I've read, it seems the Parthians were related to the Scythians - so one might actually find the odd blonde in a Partian general's bodyguard. At least, they must have looked rather Eurasian, as opposed to the Persians, who would appear as a classical example of the western South-Asian folks (the Persians were rather isolationist, with their peculiar proto-monotheistic religion serving to deter outsiders from getting involved with them more than superficially. You even can notice this "we're distinct, we're special, we have twice the history Europe has" attitude seep through in the Iran controversy these days.)

When Alexander crushed the Persians, he could utilize the fact that the western parts of their empire were somewhat alienated culturally. Persian culture had long been a distinct, homegrown thing at Alex' time, one that did not adopt well to being transplanted to Asia Minor.

.Socrates's Avatar I Love You

Good, I wanted the Egpytians to be changed.
    Originally under the patronage of RZZZA. Under the patronage of the Black Prince, in the Royal House of the Black Prince.

^updated 6/28/10 (Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life)

That looks awesome! I am so excited for 5.0
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

Im loving it Lusted! I hated those old egyptians. bleh
    Blut und Boden

there are just too many greek troops... better leaving the egyptians as they are for more verity.
    "Nature herself has imprinted on the minds of all the idea of God." - Cicero

Peace In The Middle East...

Instead of making it a heaven on earth we made it into a battlefield...

Egypt is going to have the units listed in this preivew, i have decided that, and im not going back now.
    Creator of:

Great looking units for the Ptolmaic faction. I've really liked your past unit graphics and look forward to the release of your mod's 5.0.
    Marcus Camillus

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Aizik
    there are just too many greek troops... better leaving the egyptians as they are for more verity.
    I know that this is not a hostorical mod, but thats like having the Huns appear.

nice one , i like better the old egyptians ,but , hey , this is u're mod and we must admit that if is gonna be the ptolemaios then those units r just perfect.

the Klereuchoi Phouraand the Basilikon Agema , they dont look to elite with that militia style helmet , my opinion ...nice armour thou

I know, but it is the thracian style helm that was used historically, though the Basilikon Agema will ge tthe little ridge the Klereuchoi Phoura have on their helmet.
    Creator of:

Ι think that your units and faction are fantastic but for one little thing that is huge when it comes to gameplay for anyone knowing Greek.

It is Ptolemaioi not Ptolemaios . Ptolemaios is singular, Ptolemaioi is plural. You wouldn't call Julii, Julius now would you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast