Thread: Wouldn't it be awesome if...

Static_36's Avatar Foederatus

Default Wouldn't it be awesome if...

Wouldn't it be awesome if we could have multiplayer campaigns?

Any thoughts on this?

lmao, sry i just had to put this smily, it cracks me up everytime

.Socrates's Avatar I Love You

Default Re: Wouldn't it be awesome if...

That was what I was hoiping for, only it would suck if someone had to leave and forgot to quit, so his turned was the same the whole time.
    Originally under the patronage of RZZZA. Under the patronage of the Black Prince, in the Royal House of the Black Prince.

^updated 6/28/10 (Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life)

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Yes it would be awesome, one of the greatest things ever. But that is a concept that I think can never be achieved, as there are many aspects of time (real life time- people cant be online forever) and the AI, and others things too. The point is that it would just be too hard to get done, and although many would love this idea, the many flaws that it has would keep nearly anyone from playing it.

yeah, i agree, too many problems.

But, with some1 leaving and not quitting, (wut dum@$$ would do that anyway?) maybe there could be some sort of block so that they can't just do that, they would request to host that they need to leave, and host could put them under AI control (well if they weren't screwed before, they r now, unless the AI was improved and put on VH for them, the difficulty for the AI controll could be modified, but nvr on easy) or as an alternative, put some sort of protecter on that would freeze their funds (so they don't lose any money, or gain too much) and make it so that no one could even enter their territories. their turn of course would be skipped. or we could all play for a good 2 - 6 hours and quit together for another day, and just get along all willy nilly. OR put a timer for turns, so you only got a max of like 10 min (wich can be edited) to do wut you gotta do for you turn, this time of course would pause for fights, where which ever player is NOT involved in fight can wither choose to spectate or wait. ALSO there could be some sort of audio signal that it's your turn, so if say u wait for a fight to get done and u go and get a sandwich, u would hear an alarm if the fight ended while u where away.

The AI, implement DarthMod's AI, or sumthin, and it should still play out like a single player campaign, u know, only pausing for a player's turn. EVEN BETTER, u could have the option of not having any AI controlled factions at all, only players, where they would start out with whateva terratories they would normally start out in, in a single player campaign, and all other unused terrotories be empty rebel cities. AND/OR there could be like a random start point that would divide up ALL terrotories between the players (all of the player terratories would be adjacent to each other of course, or would they? maybe this could be an option) or maybe you could take turns choosing your own, kinda like risk.

OH! and have the options for teams or a FFA

this is just me thinking out loud, not that i expect to see any1 come up with some sort of miracle mod, or anything, this is just something i hope to see in the future.

There is a multi-player Imperial Campaign mod out there, its just not what you guys are thinking about. One guy plays his factions turn, saves the game, and sends the save file to the next guy, who oppens it, and can now play as the next faction! There was already a discussion about this anyway on TWC, heres the link.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49025

Now have fun!

orange slice's Avatar Ducenarius

well i was thinking about that too and it would be very hard to do that, because what cities would you start out in? and would it still be a turn base stratagy game? because if it was then the other person might have to wait awile until the other person is done moving, and to me it would be very repetative

Member of the TWC History Club

Civitate

Nah, i think it would suck. What happens when there is a battle? do all the other players have to wait till the battle ends? And what about turns? A time limit would be needed, or else it would take ages. Overall, it sounds cool, but then when you think on how it would work and be implemented, not so good.

Shaun-In that specific 'mod', all battles would autoresolved. Time limit's were the players perogative.

Orange Slice-Depends on the version that all the players agreed to use, like the Succesion Campaigns.

Severous's Avatar Biarchus

How about:

- Upload a campaign saved game postion.
    - All who want to play download it and play for 5 days.(say 4 game years). So all playing the same campaign and same faction.
    - Send in results (need to agree objective/measure for that week)
    - All who submit score are ranked.
    - If 6 submit then best scores 6 points, lowest 1 point
    - Upload best players saved campaign. Cycle starts again (same or different objective/measure)
    - Players free to join and drop out at any stage.
    - Points accumulate week to week.

I ran something similar before...we had a 3 day cycle..2 days of play..1 day of scoring/uploading. Each 'turn' was a defined period of time. Was a different game completely but the community aim of many playing at the same time was achieved.
    Regards
    Severous

Did my part in a Franks BI Succession campaign:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=118689
    Played a Mod called "End of Days" Picture based AAR is here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116509
    From last year. Final turn of vh/vh Egyptian campaign
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54262

Real Time 2-player vs Where the only battles that aren't autoresolved are PvP battles!

Don't use all caps, thanks...-eXc

Lords of the realm 2 was an online game that had both a meta and battle portion to it, online battles took forever as you might expect. Problems like peopling not ending their turn doesn't really happen with a time limit involved, ex. 2 minutes for a turn, then its automatically over. But in a game like RTW, load times from switching between the meta game and the battle map would get annoying as heck.

Then think how cheesy it would be if a player just camped an archer/phalanx army on the only bridge to their empire :o

NobleNick's Avatar Artifex

Severous,

I like your idea: Sounds fun. But I don't know if I could keep up with a 3 day turnaround. One week is more my speed.

Hi guys.
    This is my first post here so i am sorry if i missed the "user presentation" thread if there is one. Anyway, congrats for the forum. Great community.

About the multiplayer campaigns. First time when i entered the multiplayer menu of the game i was really expecting a mp campaign. I was stunned when i realise that such a thing doesn't exist.
    I was at that time a big fan of Lords of the realm 2.. i played the mp campaign on dial-up for about 3 years and i was making lan party's just for playing Lord of the realms in mp.

I really don't understand why Activision and Creative Assembly didn't implemented this. (i am not a programmer thou'.. ).

In Lord of the realm, on the turn-based area of the game every player made his turn in the same time and when the last player pushed the end turn button the game advanced to the next turn. This is a excellent way to shorten the dead time .. you don't have to wait until everybody make his turn, or you must but a little time). Anyway, i don't see the battles like an issue... i make my turn in the same time you make yours.. if you engage in a battle i can build some army or whatever i may need.. or engage an enemy in a battle.

Anyway i think that a multilayer campaign will not take longer than a single player campaign if the game rolls on simultaneous turns.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

The main point is the system you are proposing is a radical change from the way the RTW campaign is coded, all the work to make an enjoyable multiplayer campaign, with the simultaneous turns ideas, would take a long time to code. And CA is under enough pressure to get the game out as it is. Its a good idea, its just too much extra work for CA to do when they could be improving the SP campaign.(RTW was rushed out, and i'd rather they spent time focusing on improving SP im MIITw than on adding in a feature that would require a lt of work).
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

I too think it would be a great on the whole. But the major problem is, like everyone has already said, time. I mean for me, I check each town on every turn and that can take a while. I don't want to keep other people waiting, but I don't want to rush and screw something up (especially if you do something like forget to sack a town that is under-defended while a massive rescure army is coming to kick your ***).
    As for auto-resolving the battles, bad idea. I can't tell you the number of times that I've won battles that were definitly not in my favor. Had the computer resolved it they would have lost, without a doubt.
    Though it would, if it could be done, be quite awsome. It would be much more fun to work with or fight against a human rather than a computer. The computer has no integrity (hell, it doesn't even know what integrity is) and so stabbs you in the back without a care, prolongs a pointless war it can't win, denies offers that no fool would refuse, and makes tactical errors that I have no doubt cause Alexander himself to role over in his grave. Though I must say nothin' erks me more than losing to the computer just because the friggin thing is omnipoten as far as battles are concerned.
    The enemy of my enemy dies next.
    GLADIO VIVERE SPONDENTES IN QVISQVAM NISI NEX GLADIO NON DESINABIMVS
    There are no rights, only privleges. How do you earn yours?