Thread: Stalin's Ghosts Album Reviews!

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

Default Stalin's Ghosts Album Reviews!

I've taken it upon myself to do some album reviews- some new some old. To begin with, I'm going to review the new Pearl Jam Album

Contents

Pearl Jam - Self Titled
    The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dreams
    My Rage Against the Machine Thread (All Major Album Reviews)

Pearl Jam - Self Titled

Sitting in the shadow of their past albums- Ten, Vs and the rest, Pearl Jam have providedthemselves a difficult act to follow. Indeed, some often think the band has never hit the heights of that classic debut album Ten. The Seattle grunge rockers seemed to have been the last of a dying breed in the better part of the last decade, but recent revivals have thrust them into the forefront of the new generation once again, with this album acting as their spearhead.

First Impressions

On first listening to Pearl Jam, you get the classic PJ hard/classic/punk rock fusion, with Veddars vocals oozing throughout, with the pace gradually easing off as the album progresses. Later songs are infact quite Beatle-esque, or with hints of the Who maybe. Initially I was a little bored infact, and found myself skipping a couple of tracks halfway through, but to use the cliche', it takes some getting used to.

Production

This is a very crisp production, and the band's sound is distinctly PJ throughout. Distorted when it needs to be, clear when it needs to be. Subtle sounds almost "hidden" into the music seem to come out in the music throughout, which adds a nice touch when you're giving it your full attention.

General Quality of Songs

The band seems very tight and coordinated, with each song seemingly written to a very high quality. Veddar has put a rather notable effort in, and this album has some of the most politically moving vocals we've seen in PJ for a long time. However, as is customary with PJ, these are subtle references- indeed you could go through the whole album and not pick up the politics. Only after reading the lyrics while listening are they obvious.

Life Wasted
    This is an explosive opener, with a catchy riff, rolling, punchy drum beat courtesy of Cameron. Veddar's screeching, yet melodic vocals offer an subtly upbeat message of the bad times being beaten. Highly enjoyable.

World Wide Suicide
    Anyone who's a regular radio listener has surely heard this by now, but placed within the context of the album it's all the better. Again, its political message is subtle, essentially presenting that the idea that the world is slowly killing itself off in war and the darker side of Human nature.

Comatose
    Again its a nice song, typical of the PJ style, but I think it suffers from many of their songs- they're really darn good, but they do seem similar. The crunching guitar is there, and the lyrics are all well thought out and subtle, but it is just what we've come to expect of the band now.

Severed Hand
    This is similar to the previous 3 songs, but in my opinion, it pulls it off spectacularly. The guitar work is actually quite outstanding throughout, the solo is particuarly good may I hasten to add.

Marker in the Sand
    A rather welcome break from the PJ sound, including a slightly more prevalent bassline than usual within the bands music. The guitar sound is fresh, and distinct from the band's usual fair. It's lyrically powerful - almost ballad-esque infact.

Parachutes
    Easily the biggest throw back to the bands inspiration from classic rock, and as is almost become somewhat of a cliche' in the PJ circles, its actually quite Beatle-esque. It's definatly worth a listening if you're open to seeing the bands softer side, but also a good listen overall.

Unemployable
    A fairly standard rocker really. Not too heavy as such though. Veddars vocals are powerful throughout though, but throughout, again its nothing majorly new, but just a good song.

Big-Wave
    Fast and rolling classic grunge, with moving, buzzing guitar riffs and pulsing drum and bass. Guitar solo gets a thumbs-up!

Gone
    This is a powerful song, reminisant of Black's slow burning mood. It's politically fueled, pointing at the bands disapproval of the "American Dream"- infact it makes a clear reference to it. Stellar drumming by Cameron meets stunning guitar work by McCready, Gossard and Ament

Life Wasted (Reprise)
    Takes the most poigniant lyrics from the first track, and in typical reprise style puts them against a softer sound than the track.

Army Reserve
    Screams "political" from the title, it is actually quite subtle lyrically, and matched with Veddars vocal style, and a brilliant experiamentation with harmonic guitar effects, this proves a fresh style to the rest of the album.

Come Back
    Come Back makes use of the staples of PJ's calmer side- crooning vocals and equally emotional vocals, the result is a bluesy, moving piece.

Inside Job
    I think this gets the "spooky song of the album award" to put it simply. It's a slow, slow burner, and a fine end to the album, using all the instrumental talent the band has at its disposal. It's powerful on the instrumental, lyrical and vocal level.

In Conclusion

Pearl Jam is an interesting listening experience. It's very. very well made, and it is hard to claim that any song is actually "bad", and I think it highlights the band's problem: They are now becoming victims of their own talent- no matter how good an album they make, it will either sound "too similar" to previous efforts, or be compared to them if they are too different. To their credit, the album does have some distinct sounds and styles that the band hasnt experiamented with before. It's powerful lyrically, vocally and instrumentally throughout, and it is a demonstration of a band that really can produce quality music. Whether or not this music is to the listeners taste is up to them.

I would suggest that its worth a try, since it makes use of a variety of styles throughout - classic rock, hard rock, punk (albiet perhaps not that obviously), and that distinct PJ style. It wont be to everyones taste, but this is a very well written and produced album, that I think deserves recognition not as "more of the same" by PJ (since really, familiar listeners of PJ will draw immiediate parallels with previous releases), but instead as a demonstration of the amazing talent Pearl Jam posess as instrumentalists. I know I'll be listening to this many more times.

Overall rating: 85%

+ Emotional and thought provoking
    + Incredibly well produced - the band really have cracked album making a killer album
    + The more you listen, the more you find In it

- It is similar to some previous PJ albums, but is this really a bad thing?
    Last edited by Stalins Ghost; September 11, 2006 at 07:40 AM.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Default Re: Stalin's Ghosts Album Reviews!

Good review, though I'm not really familiar with Pearl Jam.
    In patronicum sub Tacticalwithdrawal
    Brother of Rosacrux redux and Polemides

Libertine's Avatar Neptune eats planets

nice review - i may go out and purchase that CD (may i recomend you review "So Much for the City" :laughing: )
    Heir of Kscott
    Proud Patron of the lost Fable and Proud Patron of God
    Spurs Fan?
    Member of the SG Fan Club
    Finland had unusually little to do with the whole New World gig. - Watchman

Helios News Monkey
    Knight of the Lulz

Cheers guys

Havn't thought about my next review yet- maybe the recent RHCP album. Not sure yet though
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Bumped for a purpose

Could you put this in the reviews section someone
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Rhah's Avatar S'eer of Fnords

Nice review. I still havent got around to purchasing this record, and the review has made me want to get it more now.

cheers
    "Moral indignation is jealousy with a Halo" - H.G. Wells.

Sig crafted by Bulgaroctonus, Member of S.I.N., Proud Spurs fan
    Son of Valus, Brother to Mimirswell and Proximus
    Patron of Shaun, Eventhorizen, Beowulf47
    and Rob_the_celt

PJ is back!

Ain't that awesome. They have been fading since the late 90s and their last album drifted very fast from popular interest.

Hair, attitude, loudness are all back.

This is a great review!

The Story of Janosik <>Courtesy of Cracker Monkey and ARCHER29

Quote Originally Posted by JANOSIK007
    Ain't that awesome. They have been fading since the late 90s and their last album drifted very fast from popular interest.
    Agreed. I'm in too minds really. On one hand, its nice to see the new album hasnt been stolen and warped by the mainstream...on the other hand, its a shame people dont recognise how great a band PJ are.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Artist: The Smashing Pumpkins
    Album: Siamese Dream

It was only a matter of time before I reviewed an album by the Smashing Pumpkins. And it can only be Siamese Dream. Probably my personal favorite album ever, and a hallmark in the 1990s music industry.

By the end of the Gish album tour, the band was cracking. D'arcy and James had gone through a messy breakup, and found working in the band intollerable. Jimmy was drinking heavily, and struggling with other excesses of addiction, while Billy entered a deep depression. It was in this environment that Billy decided to escape his sadness by creating the bands next studio effort. They were under pressure from executives to produce, struggling with difficulties, and Billy stated that if the new album failed, the band would split.

The album overall ran well over time, and budget, but along side Butch Vig, Billy recorded almost all of the Guitar tracks himself, with Jimmy pulling himself into the studio despite his excesses to provide the drumming.
    For all intents things looked bleak. But the extra time and money Billy put in meant and provided one thing: Perfection. Ever a perfectionist, Billy was insistant that the album was to be a masterpiece. And in this fan's eyes it was.

Opening with the iconic Cherub Rock drum roll, the album delievers and explosion of shoegazer style overdriven guitars, an electric drumming performance by Chamberlin, and some of the most brilliant song writing seen of the era.

The afformentioned Cherub Rock opening track was pitched as the album's "hook" initially, with a jubilent, optimistic style, it seemed to be the obvious choice. Although a radio hit however, a slightly too experimental video failed to deliever. Fantastic guitar solo.

The second track, Quiet, is altogether darker, more personal song, with many wildly different interpretations. Fuzzed out, angry guitar meets Billy in what is one of the bands first "negative" sounding songs, with those on Gish being altogether more optimistic. It's a personal favorite of mine.

Today, the album's second single is one of the bands greater known hits, featuring an again happy, upbeat sound, which often hides its altogether darker message- specifically Billy's depression. Hidden behind a very optimistic style, the lyrics reveal thoughts of suicide. Supported by an iconic video, featuring an Ice Cream Van, James in a dress, and many tins of paint, Today was a major hit for the band.

Fourth up, we have Hummer, written to describe Billy's writers block during the period, it makes use of a subtle blend of fuzzed Rhythm guitar, and a clean, bright lead. Features a rather nice guitar solo (sorry, but I really like a good guitar solo )

Next up, we have Rocket. Despite having a rather psychadelic style (much like Gish infact), its not one of my favorites of such, but a good demonstration of the band's talent non-the less.

Disarm is an amazing song. There's no two ways about it. Making use of orchestral style instrumental parts, featuring a set of particuarly emotional, personal lyrics, written to explain very much how Billy struggled with his parents while growing up, and how he feels he hasnt lived up to the person he could have become. It's a fantastic song basically. I regard it highly.

Soma. Soma, Soma, Soma. Possibly, and I mean possibly my favorite song (you'll see why later) ever, this is powerful to the extreme. Starting off slow, brooding, and clean, it builds...and builds, eventually ascending into a crescendo of overdriven guitars, a subtly brilliant drum performance by Chamberlin, a beautiful guitar solo and an angst ridden vocal performance. I love this song. Thats all there is to it. Lyrically and instrumentally this never fails to move me. Also, you'll never believe me when I say that this was recorded using 40+ layered guitar tracks, and the solo is actually recorded on an acoustic (really listen to it an tell me you believe I'm not lying)

I owe so much to this song; Geek USA. This hooked me on the Smashing Pumpkins after many weeks of being hooked simply on Guns n' Roses and Velvet Revolver (my musical development was rather belated!), this was a complete change for me. Overdriven, shoegazer style guitars, amazing drum work and altogether more different lyrics, this was new, yet hard enough to help the transition from my two first bands to a greater variety of music. Damnit, the guitar solo rocks too.

Remember how I said Soma was possibly my favorite song? Well Mayonaise contests this. Have you ever felt alone in your own feelings? Felt that you just want to be yourself, regardless of other peoples feelings? This is the song written for those times. Again, making subtle use of clean and overdriven guitars, some interesting effects with amp feedback (or so I've been told, I can't get it right myself yet...), this song is not only instrumentally brilliant, but again lyrically.

Spaceboy is the first of two fully acoustic songs on the album (also with use of a stringed instrument I can't identify (sorry!)) This took a long time to grow on me. It took knowing the context it was written in to really understand it, but its now a particuarly moving song for me for some reason. It was written however, for Billy's disabled brother.

Silver****, goes back again to classic Pumpkins, fuzzed out, overdriven guitars, electric drumming, but unusually a shorter set of lyrics, with a meaning I've actually yet to work out! Still. Its a good hard rocker!

Sweet, Sweet again makes use of acoustic guitar work, an is probably my least favorite song the album. It's far more optimistic than Spaceboy, is rather short and nothing special. I'm not sure why I don't like it, but I think its just not my thing.

Luna. This song is interesting. It makes use of some interesting, subtle background guitar effects, which give it a fairly psychadelic sound to it, and again, its lyrically powerful. Perhaps not one of my favorite songs, its still a good listen, and a fine one to end the album on.

So, in conclusion. I could recommend this album more than any other. It's stupidly well produced and written. It covers so many emotional levels, that it never fails to help me reflect on things when I'm down. It's style varies immensly throughout ,while never failing to retain a sense of coordination. This is an album that knows where it was going, and is a testement to the writing talents of Billy Corgan, as well as James Iha (well, Mayonaise and Soma were co-written by him and Billy, so he needs a mention). The drum work is equally (albeit subtly) amazing.

Really. Just try this album out.

96%

Track Listing:

1. "Cherub Rock"
    2. "Quiet"
    3. "Today"
    4. "Hummer"
    5. "Rocket"
    6. "Disarm"
    7. "Soma"
    8. "Geek U.S.A."
    9. "Mayonaise"
    10. "Spaceboy"
    11. "Silver****"
    12. "Sweet Sweet"
    13. "Luna"
    Last edited by Stalins Ghost; April 14, 2007 at 02:49 PM.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Civitate

I really wasn't that enthused by Siamese Dream to be honest, I much preferred Melancholie and even Adore (haven't heard Gish yet). Maybe it's just that I'd heard and already had most of the best tracks before I owned the album.

I might do a review of Melancolie after my exams are over.
    Last edited by KingOfTheIsles; June 26, 2006 at 01:01 PM.
    Under patronage of: Wilpuri

When I first heard the album I thought the tracks all sounded rather similar ... but I haven't given it a try in a while, so I'm listening to it right now.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

I'm thinking of reviewing Mellon Collie too. But I may choose a harder venture like Adore. It's bad rep is undeserved, but there is a distinct change with Adore...I like it for entirely different reasons to the other albums. Although thinking about it, no one Pumpkins record was the same...I'll do Adore then

Although probably not before I've reviewed the new Muse album, Audioslave and one of the Early 90s seattle bands albums probably...
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Very good, I might buy this album now...

(I'll update the first post with a link to this one for you too)

Coming soon to my reviews...

Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgeist
    The Jimmy Chamberlin Complex - Life Begins Again
    Jaga Jazzist - What We Must

Finally, I'm going to get round to doing a review of 10,000 Days (Tool). I think Rhah's been waiting for that one for over a year now! Being the complex mutha it is, I've only just really unlocked its subtle brilliance.

I've got a week doing jack till I start at my new job, so they should be done pretty rapidly
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Rhah's Avatar S'eer of Fnords

Quote Originally Posted by Stalins Ghost View Post

Finally, I'm going to get round to doing a review of 10,000 Days (Tool). I think Rhah's been waiting for that one for over a year now! Being the complex mutha it is, I've only just really unlocked its subtle brilliance.

Literally a year...... Look forward to the review though.. Have you picked up their other albums yet? If so, add them to you're review list dude.

Actually, that reminds me, I must get round to writing that review of Aenima.....
    "Moral indignation is jealousy with a Halo" - H.G. Wells.

Sig crafted by Bulgaroctonus, Member of S.I.N., Proud Spurs fan
    Son of Valus, Brother to Mimirswell and Proximus
    Patron of Shaun, Eventhorizen, Beowulf47
    and Rob_the_celt

A shocking amount of stuff has got in the way the past couple of days

No reviews yet. Tomorrow 10,000 days will be up though
    morecuriousthanbold.com