Thread: The Helios - Issue VIII

Saint-Germain's Avatar Comte

Default The Helios - Issue VIII

The Helios - Issue VIII

Remember when I promised that Shogun-themed issue of The Helios? Well, I couldn't do it this time, so I decided to write the rest of this issue in Haiku (and Senryu) form only.

Or should I say:

I punish myself
    For all my past deceptions
    I shall make amends.

New authors we have
    Speaking like Yoda I am
    Writing skills have they.

Can you survive this?
    All site news in a Haiku?
    Slowly fall the leaves...

Exciting E3
    Gives us a short Haiku line
    But very long threads.

Check out video
    The guy cant play very well
    But the game is cool-looking

E3 has more games
    Check out discussions right here.
    Last line of poem.

The dot com has a new look.
    Look! Interesting discussion!
    I am tired of this...

I must soldier on!
    The people must hear the news!
    Argh (5 syllables)

Now the modding news
    Downloads! Troy Tee-Dub! [yes Iam resorting to abbreviations to get the syllables right]
    'Twill be a great mod...

Extended Greek Mod
    Soliciting suggestions
    Tell them what you want.

And they have released
    A beta of version 4
    Help to test it now!

New RTR mod!
    Imperial era, eh?
    Who's Canadian?

End of Days draws nigh
    And what beast in Bethlehem
    Is now slouching home?

I worship the Lordz

Enough said.

Elsewhere on the site
    I can't keep writing like this
    Too bad everyone. Check out these articles instead.

Top Five Debaters and Intellectuals of TWC

(rome ac's view)

Hello Helios fans its Rome ac again it seem Menander needs a lot more help then I thought.
    Today I would like to talk to you about the Top Ten Debaters and all in all smart ass, so without further a do I bring you.....
    (not in order)

Siblesz:
    Sib he his probably the most recognise member of the entire site (if you don’t know him he as a avatar of Francisco de Miranda great revolutionary leader in the latter half of the 20th century) , he lead the TWC for more than a two year so let me began. Sibz has a reputation for being one of the greatest debater and intellectual member is knowledge of philosophy is extremely fascinating and is idea and thought on religion is greatly admired. His debating skill is also admired, here’s an exemple Siblesz

The Black Prince
    tbp has influence TWC for more than three years he is the voice of the Syntagma a true patriot of the site (even if he had some issue in the past). His debating skill are unquestionable, he had posted many times is idea on the site with great and magnificent post trying to change or protect the constitution. Most of his debating are seen or where seen with something about good old Englend ex Black Prince
    but you have seen other things from him to.

Darth Wong
    Darth family man with one hell of aggressive side if some one is to ignorant to listen to him, but seriously Darth is probably the out most greatest debater in the entire site, is political knowledge is by far the best, he as been criticize is the past for being to aggressive but that what it takes to be a great debater here are some example of this great man. Darth Wong
    Darth
    Wong

Jesus The Inane
    Jesus, Jesus is probably one of the most controversial member of this site (just look at the old issue of Helios) but that dos int mean is smart by far a great philosopher his idea on religion and science is quit interasting and is debating skill are as impressive as that of Darth, Sibz and tbp.
    Jesus The Inane
    this thread sums him up good

RZZZA
    Hmmm how can I sums him..... a Boondocks loving sarcastic antichrist son of a *****, yes RZZA is one hell of a member he as proven to be quit aggresive but he is a wise crak at politics and here are some thing to prove to you that he is
    Rzzza
    Ok I guess I will stop there. We have hundred of more great debater at this forum such as MadBurgerMaker, PyrrhusIV, Garbarsardar, Pompey the Great, Oldgamer, Mudd, Halie Satanus and much much more.

Thanks againg for letting me post something Menander and I hope you like this guys

Gee that rome ac
    Is getting very cheeky
    That rhymed!

Now for a surprise!
    Close your eyes...
    Enter Spiff!

Todays point of interest, brought to you by.. well.. me.. is a quick tour of the legendary halls located within the Curia of this fine forum – or, if you were to be particularly anal about it, “The CVRIA”. What follows is a brief introduction, or indeed reintroduction depending on your point of view, to the political side of the Total War Centre, in all its seedy glory.

Before i begin though, i'd like to point out that apparently when people try and talk about the Curia outside of the Curia, it causes the forum to implode. I've tried to avoid such a result through keeping opinions either balanced, or to myself. Quickly moving on...

So, where to start? Well, firstly, you should be aware that anybody who’s anybody hangs out in the Curia. That is a fact. Don’t try and dispute it - things will go much smoother if you just accept it. Done that? Good. Now, you’re probably wondering what it is that the Civitates do there? Well, essentially, they propose and vote on the rules that govern this fair site, so far as they don’t step on the toes of the people who pay the electricity bills around here, or have the power to ban you.

What does that leave? In reality, the main power given to the Curia is the power to create shiny ranks and give them to people who aren’t working for or with the moderators of the forum. This isn’t that great you may think, but just look – The “Opifex” badge, awarded for those who contribute to the forum in any extraordinary way. It’s awesome and you know you want one. Who do you thank for it? That’s right, the Curia!

As in the words of Praetor Asterix:
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix

Release the doves!!! Gather the plebs!! Roast the camels! Call forth the dancing girls!!

Here we honour those great contributors to the community that have earned the title of Opifex, spill forth your adoration for them, herald their names boldly until the heavens respond, offer your sisters and brothers to their every whim and service!

Here we celebrated those that have earned the title of Opifex, heap praise upon them, laud their names, name your first born accordingly...
    The honourable rank of Opifex is currently making the following feel very pleased with themselves indeed:

-

Vercingetorix
    Lord Rahl
    lt1956
    Darth Vader
    Gaius Julius
    Seleukos
    General Sun
    -

And rightly so, congratulations to each of them for reaching the large majority vote required

Aside from conferring titles, and continuing on the role as a legislative body, the Curia is the home of the "Prothalamos", a place to discuss and debate new proposals and amendments of variable importance in what is usually a calm and collected manner. Recent proposals in this include, but are not limited to:

The Terms of Office Bill:
    A heavily debated bill which proposes the introduction of terms of service for our Quaestors. Is this unnecessary or an important step forward? How long should a term last for? The drama continues inside…

Client Limit Revision Bill:
    A bill to allow a Patrician to patronize only one Civitate per month. A worthwhile change given the vast amounts of time staff have to spend looking at each potential Civitate?

Amendment to Civitates Behaviour Act:
    A bill to prevent Civitates falling foul of double punishment for a single offence. Currently being voted on, this particular piece of legislation, like most, requires but a simple majority to become law. See how easy it is to get things sorted?

And about 400 more proposed by Lucius Vorenus...

As you can see, the Curia has quite a lot of power to determine how the site is run and managed. Don't believe me? Propose something, odds are it'll pass!

In other general news from the Curia, we can celebrate the creation of a glorious new house. Republican Consul Justinian came together with Praetor Lucius Vorenus to form the uber House of Caesars, with themselves along with Opifex Seleukos and Imperial Consul the Bavarian Noble at the top. This is a new concept for a house of TWC is based on rank and achievements rather than the patron above client hierarchy used by so many others. Find out who's in this new House in the 'Family Tree' located Here

Partly in reaction to this new House creating what may appear as a concentration of political power, it was proposed by Kscott that the creation of a Carbonari would create a more relaxed atmosphere among the Great Houses, with more emphasis on regulating the behaviour of Civitates via a loose code of conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott
    Purpose of the Carbonari:
    •Inspire better posting
    •Promote civitate bonding
    •Restore prestige to the Civitate rank
    •Provide Guidance to new civitates
    •Re-energize the Curia
    If you like what you hear, be sure to join!

Finally, on the judicial side of the Curia, it was found that former Civitate DrakKassleron was acting “in opposition to the rules of the forum and Curia” and as such has been stripped of rank by a majority vote in favour following a one week discussion. Best leave it at that for now.

Now, you may have noticed how I haven’t linked specifically to any of these discussions in the Curia. This is simply because unless you’re a Civitate, you cannot see them. Nobody knows why. If you want to change that, a good starting place is this thread:

Once you are, feel free to dive into any of the discussions, your opinion counts just as much as anyone else’s. Except Archers. Imperial prerogative states he can ban you at will. Watch out for that one.

Aaaaaand that’s all for now folks. You are now wise in the ways of the Curia.

I love Spiff.

If you read all that, please rep us up. If not, do it anyway because we're wubbable.

My head really hurts. I hate these bloody haikus. Argh! There I go now!

Menander
    né Menander
    Under the covetous wing of Ozymandias
    Patronizing my favourite (not so) little guy, Turbo

"With this weather, it might as well be Thursday..."

Default Re: The Helios - Issue VIII

Sometimes I wonder about this site. One part is the developping and discussing of RTW mods. The second part are the discussion forums. And the third part is an esoteric club, a seperate world with an elaborated society: the curia, hexagon, Syntagma,...etc where people are discussing what: the rules of TWC , who's who, paparrazi talk,.....??
    Maybe i should get something to smoke...

repman

BareBonesWars 8.1 for RTW 1.5
    Integration Mod which combines unique strategic challenges due to a 4 Season scripted campaign from 280 BC - 180 AD on several big/small maps and with an ruthless AI on the battlefield.
    Deus lo Vult DLV 6.2 for MTW II Kingdoms
    Norway+Ireland+Flanders+Kiev+Lithuania+Teutonic_Order+Armenia+Crusader+Georgia,1y2t script, army field costs, Ultimate AI 1.6, big map, military career, economic system, age simulation, heraldic system, new factions, garrison script, Crowns + Swords, Trait bugfixer, religion dependent recruiting, ancillary enhancements, darth battle mechanics

Flogger's Avatar Senator

Very, er... interesting...

Libertine's Avatar Neptune eats planets

just to blow my own trumpet, but see if you can spot Ffips reference to me in that

Nice helios chaps
    Heir of Kscott
    Proud Patron of the lost Fable and Proud Patron of God
    Spurs Fan?
    Member of the SG Fan Club
    Finland had unusually little to do with the whole New World gig. - Watchman

Helios News Monkey
    Knight of the Lulz

Oh yes, we remember that Helios. Good Job Spiff, Rome ac and Menander
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Quote Originally Posted by repman
    Sometimes I wonder about this site. One part is the developping and discussing of RTW mods. The second part are the discussion forums. And the third part is an esoteric club, a seperate world with an elaborated society: the curia, hexagon, Syntagma,...etc where people are discussing what: the rules of TWC , who's who, paparrazi talk,.....??
    Maybe i should get something to smoke...

repman
    Sometimes I wonder myself...

Who am I?
    Clients: Caius Britannicus, Waitcu, Spurius, BrandonM, and Tsar Stephan.
    http://www.totalwardai.com

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

woot, thanks to Menander.
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes

Romanos's Avatar Hey

Yea thanks again Men.
    Under the Great and Honorable Patronage of Fabolous
    Patron (father) of Sir Matthias and ForgottenImmortal
    Grandson of Lucius Veronus
    Member of S.I.N
    Sept 2003 - 2004 - 2nd Generation Jun 23 2004 (25-Feb)

The news in haiku?! Impressive indeed! Great new issue. Keep it coming guys! And good job Menander for the haikus and to romeac for the debater analysis.

Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Please Menander, anything but translating the news into a haiku.

Don't believe me? Propose something, odds are it'll pass!
    Probably explains the mess we get ourselves into.

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

The only thing I'd say about the helios is, its not exactly weekly is it? It should be.

Peter

King Henry V's Avatar Behold your King

Menander and I are striving to make the Helios come out once a week. Since Helios means Sun, why not have the Helios come out every Sunday?
    Vassal of the most puissant Sheriff, imb39
    Suzerain of the valorous Castellan, scottishranger and of the preux Knight and Master Crafstman Atterdag

Former Editor of the Helios, Councillor of the Concilium de Civitate and Councillor of Peace.
    "Quatscht Studium, Verbindung ist die Hauptsache!" Heinrich Mann, Der Untertan
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" Lord Byron

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

So I take it you aren't modelling yourself after the daily rag (literally) in the UK? So no page 3?

King Henry V's Avatar Behold your King

The Sun is our objective, but we aren't quite yet at its level.
    We could have hottest TWCer of the month, maybe? Though seeing as TWC is mostly male, I'm not sure everyone would want to read the Helios after that.
    Vassal of the most puissant Sheriff, imb39
    Suzerain of the valorous Castellan, scottishranger and of the preux Knight and Master Crafstman Atterdag

Former Editor of the Helios, Councillor of the Concilium de Civitate and Councillor of Peace.
    "Quatscht Studium, Verbindung ist die Hauptsache!" Heinrich Mann, Der Untertan
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" Lord Byron