Thread: Archery

Zuwxiv's Avatar Bear Claus

Default Archery

Anyone else here interested in Archery or other projectile sports?

I went to a local archery range/store the other day, and it was really awesome. I'm thinking of buying my own bow - a recurve. There are two main types of bows: compound bows and recurve bows. Compound bows use a pully system, more modern and generally more expensive. Recurve bows are what you probably think of - they curve in and slightly back out before they end. (Google it and you will see plenty of pictures) Recurve bows can be all wood or multiple pieces of metal.

Anyway, I'm thinking of possibly buying one. (www.by-the-sword.com) Is anyone here an archer, and could you reccomend some cheap but dependable brands for bows? I'm looking for an all-wood bow (I think it looks awesome), but if anyone is more knowledgable on the subject I would appreciate some input.

I've also made my own sling, quite a formidable weapon. Less than an hour of practice with it and I can hit a 5 degree target ranged 40 feet away 9/10 times. (as in, from my view, when it is forty feet away it makes a 5 degree angle from one side to another - say a bicycle sized object.) Packs quite a punch, actually.

(I'm sorry if there already is a thread on Archery, but a search for that term understandably yeilds a few too many results.)
    Last edited by Zuwxiv; July 14, 2006 at 01:17 AM.

Currently worshipping Necrobrit *********** Thought is Quick
    I'm back for the TWCrack

Default Re: Archery

Yes, I shot on my university team.

All-wooden recurve bows are usually reserved for cheap club models for beginners to try the sport out on. A very common, affordable and dependable configuration for a novice's first proper bow is a Hoyt Gold Medallist riser with Win & Win limbs. That's a solid bow that you can really improve your skills on for a few years or so, and added to costs for a set of arrows and kit you'll only be looking at about 250 pounds (or whatever that is in dollars if you're American). The Gold Medallist is comparatively cheap, but it's definitely not a weak choice - back in the 70s it was the Olympic-standard choice, it's just that crazy advanced materials-technology has progressed so much.

Longbows, of course, are all-wooden, but they're only for nerds and hobbyists (which is why I'm going to add one to my little armoury one of these days, but I've been doing it for a few years now). You're very wise to go for recurve shooting, simply because most people do and you won't be excluding yourself from shop-talk with other archers.

Same advice as for anyone starting a new sport - don't get overexcited and start buying masses of all the most expensive equipment. Only experts can actually get any real benefit out of kit that costs over the basic models, with ultra-fine-tuning, and it's just not worth it for anyone of intermediate abilities.

One exception - get your own fletching jig and learn to use it. You will get fletchings torn off eventually and it's a real arse to feel your usable-arrow reserve slipping and slipping dangerously towards a number below the minimum end for a tournament (say, six in an outdoors long-range match).

And be bloody-mindedly patient and committed. Archery is like having sex when you're drunk - there are so many ways to do it wrong and screw up and be frustrated, that when you manage to do it right it feels twice as good as you expected just from sheer relief. Tournaments are mental endurance feats. Get involved in competitive shooting if you can - it's a good way to break up practice and keep you interested.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

Virgil's Avatar Powered by Technicolor©

I have a recurve bow and I have to tell you, archery is a lot of fun. It is really worth the money, and is a great way to spend time outdoors. I would really advise getting one.
    Patron to Shadows, The White Knight, Darkragnar, and
    Ramon Gonzales y Garcia. Under the patronage of Horsearcher.

I have been doing Archery since I could walk. Never thought of doing it competitively though.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Anyone else here interested in Archery or other projectile sports?

I went to a local archery range/store the other day, and it was really awesome. I'm thinking of buying my own bow - a recurve. There are two main types of bows: compound bows and recurve bows. Compound bows use a pully system, more modern and generally more expensive. Recurve bows are what you probably think of - they curve in and slightly back out before they end. (Google it and you will see plenty of pictures) Recurve bows can be all wood or multiple pieces of metal.

Anyway, I'm thinking of possibly buying one. (www.by-the-arms.com) Is anyone here an archer, and could you reccomend some cheap but dependable brands for bows? I'm looking for an all-wood bow (I think it looks awesome), but if anyone is more knowledgable on the subject I would appreciate some input.

I've also made my own sling, quite a formidable weapon. Less than an hour of practice with it and I can hit a 5 degree target ranged 40 feet away 9/10 times. (as in, from my view, when it is forty feet away it makes a 5 degree angle from one side to another - say a bicycle sized object.) Packs quite a punch, actually.

(I'm sorry if there already is a thread on Archery, but a search for that term understandably yeilds a few too many results.)
    Woo am glad I don’t live next door to you lol id be strolling through me garden and suddenly and arrow has just hit the side of me head, but seriously bows are cool so are slings

LSJ's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I used to do archery years ago. Unfortunately the only non-30-year-old-guy-club near me is closed. I want to find a nice range where I am not in danger of getting hit by other people's arrows.
    Some day I will buy a bow and arrows, and get a nice wristguard and quiver.
    Since I am finally back in the age range where I can join clubs (most are 6-12 or 16+) I think I can find a suitable range.
    Archery is fun. Has anyone else tried fire arrows? Its fun, as long as you do it the right way - and on private property (including your enemy's house!). I don't encourage them, because most people are more likely to burn themselves or the house than hit a target. Experienced pyros like me can be mostly trusted; we are not arsonists, but like to use fire and pyrotechnics.
    Longbows are too much for me, recurves are too expensive, and beginner bows suck. There is one good store with lots of bows that sells a minor recurve med-length bow. Its not a shortbow or a real recurve, but its not a simple bow either. A good bow for somewhat experienced people if they can afford it.

.Socrates's Avatar I Love You

I got to di it in Boy Scouts, but I sucked so bad I quit.

Rather shoot the old BB gun.
    Originally under the patronage of RZZZA. Under the patronage of the Black Prince, in the Royal House of the Black Prince.

^updated 6/28/10 (Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life)

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates's student
    I got to di it in Boy Scouts, but I sucked so bad I quit.

Rather shoot the old BB gun.
    Boy scout bows were pussy 20 pound draw ones that couldn't shoot a real arrow 25 yards.

I brought my bow to a camp and showed those kiddies how to shoot proper like. :original:
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    Boy scout bows were pussy 20 pound draw ones that couldn't shoot a real arrow 25 yards.

I brought my bow to a camp and showed those kiddies how to shoot proper like. :original:
    You might put an eye out.

It was a training one, and we we standing like, 10 yards away.
    Originally under the patronage of RZZZA. Under the patronage of the Black Prince, in the Royal House of the Black Prince.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates's student
    You might put an eye out.

It was a training one, and we we standing like, 10 yards away.
    At that range it would be simpler to just throw the arrow at your target like a small javelin.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

Gah, I didn't measure.
    That happened, well, maybe 5 years ago.

Just saw this topic now.
    I've been practicing a bit with a recurve bow and a compound bow and even though the recurve is harder to aim and the shot is less powerfull I just prefer it to the compound.
    There are several archery clubs nearby but I just don't feel like joining one even though I know that in order to become a moderately good archer one should have supervision...
    浪人 - 二天一

I shot a longbow once. Got a bullseye
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

Ghoulem's Avatar Biarchus

I had a bow when I was a little boy, used to shoot diagonal up in the sky and then go search for the arrow in the forest. Good times.
    Muhaha

Anarius's Avatar Senator

I'm into archery. Composite bows are for wimps.

i have a bamboo bow and arrow that i made myself. very nice and handy.
    When You Walk Through A Storm, Hold Your Head Up High!
    And Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark, At The End Of A Storm Is A Golden Sky And The Sweet Silver Song Of The Lark...
    Walk On, Through The Wind
    Walk On, Through The Rain
    Tho' Your Dreams Be Tossed And Blown
    Walk On, Walk On, With Hope In Your Hearts, And You'll Never Walk Alone

YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!!!

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

Moved to our shiny Sports Forum.
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes

I hunt with a recurve, I agree compound bows are for whimps and cheaters lol. The guy who said get a fletching kit is right on especially since good arrows arent cheap even if you make your own which is even harder than it looks. Of course I'm also a nerd but prefer traditional crafted bows from many cultures. My favorite is a native recurve I had made its 6 foot long out of osage orange. The pull is over 100 lbs so I dont use it all that much. I also made flint arrowheads, put some sand in the tip of the shaft to give it better flight dynamics. I also learned to heat notch the shaft to make for a straighter shaft.

I hunt though with a standard recurve about 60 lb pull that you can get at cabelas or anything similar. I dont recommend hunting if your even interested, until you learn all the strategies and technigues not just in shooting but in getting close for a more effective kill. I also eat what I kill too.
    Névé'novôhe'étanóme mâsęhánééstóva, onésetó'ha'éeta netáhoestovevoo'o, onésęhestóxévétáno mâsęhánééstóva!