Thread: Greek Mercenaries and Hypaspists

Default Greek Mercenaries and Hypaspists

They basically fulfil the same role.. protecting the flanks, shock troops. Both are great units!

Why then do Greek Mercs take two turns to build yet are much cheaper than Hypaspists? What was the logic behind that?

Just curious.

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Default Re: Greek Mercenaries and Hypaspists

Greek mercenaries are supposed to be old style hoplites, the two turn recruitment is made to avoid AI recruiting them too much emulating the historical situation of dwindling fighting style...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Thanks Zarax. Very apt, I suppose.

the greek army had old style fighting before legions.during the war rome betwen macedonians the macedonian phalanx were nothing by legions so the cavalery of macedonian was greit.the greek wos nothing.they cavalery were nothing before romans cavalery. (ave CAESARE)!

What are you saying? coz i honestly got mixed up in this previous post.

Sorry for opening old post but i really dont understand whats he saying

Locky's Avatar Centenarius

Hoplites, were the traditional troops of Greece, and also the early Roman state used them as wel, they dominated early warfare, they fought in a formation called a phalanx. Latter, Macedonia created thier own unique phalanx, with troops called phalangites, they use much longer spears, and the Greek Phalanx couldn't get in range. But Greek hoplite mercanries were very prized, to have. Their role changed throughout warfair, to heavier armour, lighter armour longer spear, etc. Greeks outright had some of the best cavalry in the world.