Thread: The Art Of War - TATW Tips and Tricks - Ep 2 Out Now!

Default The Art Of War - TATW Tips and Tricks - Ep 2 Out Now!

This is a new video series which will hopefully provide useful tips and tricks to make sure that your army performs to its maximum potential. Enjoy!

Credits: kingtigertank, LH47

Qba's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: The Art Of War - TATW Tips and Tricks

Well done
    +rep!
    Vae Victis!

Indefinitely Banned

Nice work guys, ive always wondered how effecive guard mode is, still have a habit of using it for the most part of my arimes, good to know thank you + rep

Just curious, when preforming any furture experiments, can you see if guard mode preserves stamina a bit?

Thanks for the feedback, and please post more suggestions for stuff you'd like to see in this series.

Thanks i also always had questions over how effective guard mode really is, This clears things up quite a bit!

The tale of Legio IV Flavia Felix: After cowardice during the Revolt of 69-70 AD the IV Macedonian was reconstituted and renamed IV Flavia Felix, or "lucky legion" signifying its luck at not being dishonorably disbanded.

Some feedback. I really like how you brought up a very useful strategy and a common misconception with halberds. I am thinking of doing similar about archers may be. I was doing some tests comparing crossbows and archers and their effectiveness against different unit types. However, it was for a different mod that TATW. Still, the mechanics should be about the same. Looking forward for more tips/strategies.

The idea behind why having halberds with defensive mod deactivated is that they simply outnumber cavalry. When any unit of yours outnumbers the enemy, it is good when they go on offensive and surround the enemy units in 2v1 or 3v1 situations. In this case, enemy units receive more frequent attacks. In guard mode however, the halberds do not move and cavalry outnumbers them in front lines. Probably the reason why defensive stance is not a good idea most of the time. It would be good for you to try other anticavalry units such as typical spearmen. Things may become different for light armor spearmen. They will probably get wiped out in offense stance and be more effective in defensive stance, which I have not tested, just a guess. Also, cavalry type, ex. heavy cav or simple scouts can mean a difference. There are many factors, but main guidelines should hold.

Also, there are weird mechanics with charging cavalry in general. They deal more damage when unit is light-armored and is not moving. Therefore, some may choose to move archers back at the very last moment. However, heavy spearmen and such a better off to stand and face the charge. Things like that do not matter too much, but still knowing them helps.

Default Re: The Art Of War - TATW Tips and Tricks - Ep 2 Out Now!

Please post more feedback and suggestions to help us improve our videos.

Qba's Avatar Biarchus

I can see that you've focused on units' formations... A number of TATW units have "schiltrom" as their special ability - I always wondered if it is useful or not?
    Vae Victis!

We will probably deal with schiltrom and other unit abilities (shieldwall, etc) in future episodes.

Since I'm lazy and would sooner spend my time playing the game I appreciate you guys doing this

Keep em coming.

Maiden_Ante's Avatar Semisalis

+rep, good videos!

Could you see what happens if you go into Spearwall formation after a charge?
    To me, that seems to combine the best of both ways; breaking up the enemy formation a little and getting the charge bonus and getting the defensive bonus when the shift takes place.

I eagerly await the Shieldwall Episode.

We are back and expanding into commentaries + vanilla M2TW, but we will continue with our TATW series too.

Check it out

Thank you very much, never knew what guard mode was and as it was always enabled by default i thought it just added to their defense.

But in both videos you show us how guard mode will result in a less than optimal situation.

When should one use guard mode? After viewing this i will never use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorlessgreen View Post
    Thank you very much, never knew what guard mode was and as it was always enabled by default i thought it just added to their defense.

But in both videos you show us how guard mode will result in a less than optimal situation.

When should one use guard mode? After viewing this i will never use it.
    That's correct, as far as we know, guard mode really should never be used.

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

Guard mode is at least usefull for archers: When in contact, if the archers don't guard, those not personnally attacked in the unit tend to take their blade instead of continuing to fire while their mate really must use their side weapon.
    But, once arrow depleted, yes remove their guard mode, and to be still usefull make them charge into an ennemy unit already fighting one of your regular infantry unit, or make them charge another archer unit (if not too far nor guarded) to disrupt its fire.
    Last edited by Vifarc; February 19, 2013 at 09:21 AM.
    > > Divide&Conquer submod user, playing RealmOfLothlõrien (ThirdAge mod). < <
    My small products here.

Guard mode is useful for pikemen when they're about to be charged by cavalry. It keeps the enemy at bay so they don't get a charge bonus. Once the enemy has stopped charging/running, I switch guard mode off (keeping spearwall on mind you) and attack the enemy.

Now if it's melee charging my pikemen, I will usually just send the pikemen their way w/o guard mode, but with spearwall on. I've never tried charging pikemen w/o guard and w/o spearwall, but I doubt it's as effective as halberds charging w/o guard and w/o spearwall.

Now this is how I do pikemen. As for halberds, as it looks like from the video, it's really better to charge first then probably switch spearwall on, never turning guard mode on at all.

I personaly use guard mod mostly on my infantry spear front line, as they will hold the line, last longer, doesnt use much stamina, and they make time for my flanking maneuvers (cavalry, attacking infantry)... I think guard mod can be used very well..
    I choose to die on my feet, rather than live on my knees!