Page 6 of 109 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156106 ... LastLast

Thread: TotW Commentary Thread.

Tribunus

Default Re: ToTW Commentary Thread.

I don't see why not.

So long as you don't breach the rules regarding advertising then it's fine
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Timur Amir's Avatar Centenarius

hi everyone! I'm hoping to join you guys in this, starting this week, but I wanted to know: Is there anything I should know before joining? I mean, any rules that are usually broken, well-known and hideous mistakes to be made, ect?
    Also, it is an honor to write amongst you all, I'm happy I found this subforum!

Tribunus

Happy to have you

As long as you follow the rules in the first post of each competition you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Timur Amir View Post
    hi everyone! I'm hoping to join you guys in this, starting this week, but I wanted to know: Is there anything I should know before joining? I mean, any rules that are usually broken, well-known and hideous mistakes to be made, ect?
    Also, it is an honor to write amongst you all, I'm happy I found this subforum!
    As Magicman said, just make sure to observe the competition rules. Also, take a look around to see what else we have apart from TotW. If you have any general or specific questions, just use the chat/feedback thread in the Lounge.

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
    As Magicman said, just make sure to observe the competition rules. Also, take a look around to see what else we have apart from TotW. If you have any general or specific questions, just use the chat/feedback thread in the Lounge.

Welcome!
    I'm sorry, but where could we go if we wanted some constructive criticisms on our work? I'd love to hear what I might be doing wrong as to improve, although I don't know what section that would be...or, is that not allowed?

Tribunus

There is a vague aura of silence on that particular topic, but if you're not sensitive I'd be more than willing to offer my views here or elsewhere.

I'm sorry, but where could we go if we wanted some constructive criticisms on our work? I'd love to hear what I might be doing wrong as to improve, although I don't know what section that would be...or, is that not allowed?
    Critique can be done in this thread or in the WS lounge. Since participants have a code of honour not to read each other's stuff before submission it's best if you make sure to use spoiler tags in your discussions, or better still wait until the voting is under way.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicman2051 View Post
    There is a vague aura of silence on that particular topic, but if you're not sensitive I'd be more than willing to offer my views here or elsewhere.
    Thank you sir. Your help would be much appreciated I'm sure

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

I would absolutely love a critique, if it wouldn't be too much trouble (and yes, spoilers indeed!)

And no, I'm not particularly sensitive- unless you start blasting obsceneties or direct insults at me, I'll take it happily.
    Last edited by Timur Amir; February 02, 2012 at 10:49 PM.

Tribunus

Per the rules, and my own view of them, I'm not going to read what you've submitted until I've submitted mine. So it might take a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicman2051 View Post
    Per the rules, and my own view of them, I'm not going to read what you've submitted until I've submitted mine. So it might take a while.
    take your time and work on your own piece, I don't want to inconvenience you.

Also, is it okay for me to read other's pieces now that mine is posted, or is that not equal to submitted?
    I mean, is there fear that I might edit mine, or is it as good as sent in?

Tribunus

It is up to you, chances are I'll edit mine a few times after I post it, and I like to think that everyone does

It's fine after you write yours I think. That line is geared towards people not copying each other's concepts for the most part. In any case if we suspect plagiarism bad things will happen to the relevant people.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

I would absolutely love a critique, if it wouldn't be too much trouble (and yes, spoilers indeed!)

And no, I'm not particularly sensitive- unless you start blasting obsceneties or direct insults at me, I'll take it happily.
    Oh yes I would absolutely love some criticism no matter how brutal. As the saying goes "The truth hurts."
    And I have talked to many people but have yet to hear any criticisms, only positives which are nice but aren't constructive.

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

Yay!

Can't wait till Monday!!!
    TotW really needs more publicity...

~Lyra

The Dread Pirate Roberts IV

Guys - if you want people's critique on a consistent basis then I would like to suggest having a look at this thread and starting your own writing project in the Lounge. It's just an easy way to keep track of all your work, for other people to read/critique your writing, and you can see your own progress as you keep writing

On the other hand doing it here is perfectly fine too if you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by }Lyra{ View Post
    TotW really needs more publicity...
    The staff agree, and we're looking at ways to improve the situation. There is something in the works but needs more refining before it sees the light of day.

(No that's not marketing speak. There's actually a longish thread in our part of the WS on this.)

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    Guys - if you want people's critique on a consistent basis then I would like to suggest having a look at this thread and starting your own writing project in the Lounge. It's just an easy way to keep track of all your work, for other people to read/critique your writing, and you can see your own progress as you keep writing

On the other hand doing it here is perfectly fine too if you prefer.

The staff agree, and we're looking at ways to improve the situation. There is something in the works but needs more refining before it sees the light of day.

(No that's not marketing speak. There's actually a longish thread in our part of the WS on this.)
    Well, I;m happy to have found it (thank you Derpy), I have not been given a reason to write in a long time, but now I do!

Thank you all for hosting this thing.

~Lyra

The Dread Pirate Roberts IV

also, out of curiosity, is there a rule to prevent you from voting for yourself? I'm just curious, as I didn't read any rules about voting and it seems like that would come up often enough to warrant some sort of notice

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

also, out of curiosity, is there a rule to prevent you from voting for yourself? I'm just curious, as I didn't read any rules about voting and it seems like that would come up often enough to warrant some sort of notice
    We did a poll a while back and these are the results. Yes, self-voting is allowed.

3 submissions - 1 vote.
    4-6 submissions - 2 votes.
    7+ submissions - 3 votes.

Self voting will stay and is allowed

Reserved...although, I must say, this round is a lot less vague, and no picture to boot. A challenge, by all means, but not too difficult
    There is a picture in the TotW 126 submission thread. Do you have trouble seeing it? Maybe your browser is acting up. It's actually a picture I took myself during my travels in Egypt

Darkan's Avatar Senator

I canīt see the pic either...I am using Google Chrome if it matters and at this precise moment it is running rather slow but I can see the TotW 124 & 125 fine.
    PS: Very interesting theme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
    So this is where you put the reserved thingy...?
    Nice to cross quills with you, looking forward to it.
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo