Page 3 of 105 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853103 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 2100

Thread: TotW Commentary Thread.

  1. #41
    Nazgūl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡
    Moderator Emeritus

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Holy Land - Israel
    Posts
    10,976

    Default Re: ToTW Commentary Thread.

    I can't pretend I'm not disappointed, but if that's what you guys opted to choose, then I do understand and will respect that.

    Hopefully one day this rule would change, because I still stand by my points and see them as completely valid.
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

  2. #42

    Default Re: ToTW Commentary Thread.

    If I may enter the debate,
    This week's theme was LOTR. However, my inspiration didn't lie there. I wrote a sort of love story that I am quite proud of. I managed to include all the keywords. I kept within the requisite word limit. The final product was better than I expected. However, upon entering my tale, I looked at the other entries. They are all the same, basically-war stories. In Middle Earth. Outside of Minas Tirith.
    This is all well and good. LOTR is awesome. The battle of Pellenor Fields is awesome. Killing Sauron is awesome. However, I feel the new rules, keywords and word limits, quotes and pictures, make people write the exact same story, with variations here and there. There is little room for the vast creativity and flexibility of earlier competitions, when we had entries ranging from short stories, philosophical treatises, sporting event stories, tales of love, and so on. All stories I have seen in recent weeks center around men, swords, and testosterone. I strongly believe that making the rules as they are today has forced people into this. I realize that since this is a TOTAL WAR forum, the amount of these stories are naturally going to be high, but lately, every entry has been as such.
    I was not around for the earliest days of TOTW, but from my research, back then every tale had to address the POTW, and the winner would be the tale that told the story best. Naturally, the only tales possible were war stories over and over. The rules evolved and became more flexible. When I got in on TOTW, you didn't even need to follow the theme or the picture, you could do whatever. I realize that now you don't necessarily have to follow the quote and picture and theme (I sure didn't) but people seem to think that.
    I am strongly in favor of removing keywords-they hinder creativity and force us to work inside a box. I am also in favor of increasing the word limit so we can have better developed plots. Not a drastic increase, perhaps up to 1,000-1500 words. I would also like us to stress that it is not required to address the picture, quote, or theme. I believe these rules will increase flexibility and creativity.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    My point is that, while pastries are delicious, they are not a factor in deciding whether or not to start a rebellion against the lord of the realm.
    do leave your name if you give me rep. i may just return the favor. maybe.
    please visit the Tale of the Week forum at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=802 for brilliant writing, people, and brownies. with nuts, if you prefer.

  3. #43
    Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    3,158

    Default Re: ToTW Commentary Thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nazgūl Killer View Post
    I can't pretend I'm not disappointed, but if that's what you guys opted to choose, then I do understand and will respect that.

    Hopefully one day this rule would change, because I still stand by my points and see them as completely valid.
    Your opinion certainly carried weight in the discussion on the rules. At least for me it did and keep in mind that this is a fresh start of the TotW so any change will always be met with a certain resistance. For now let's just see how things turn out and evolve.

    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    This is all well and good. LOTR is awesome. The battle of Pellenor Fields is awesome. Killing Sauron is awesome. However, I feel the new rules, keywords and word limits, quotes and pictures, make people write the exact same story, with variations here and there. There is little room for the vast creativity and flexibility of earlier competitions, when we had entries ranging from short stories, philosophical treatises, sporting event stories, tales of love, and so on. All stories I have seen in recent weeks center around men, swords, and testosterone. I strongly believe that making the rules as they are today has forced people into this. I realize that since this is a TOTAL WAR forum, the amount of these stories are naturally going to be high, but lately, every entry has been as such.
    The quote, picture and keywords are left to decide by the person responsible for that weeks TotW rather than a general policy. It's a bit too soon to judge on this because only Hesus, robinzx and Dark Storm have opened a storyboard. Radzeer hasn't yet and who knows what his choice of quote, picture and keywords will be?

    I'm one of those organizing TotW since its fresh start and I guarantee that I won't be using Total War material but rather poetic pictures and maybe even photographs that I took myself. You will have a chance to write something non-warfare at least once a month

    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    I was not around for the earliest days of TOTW, but from my research, back then every tale had to address the POTW, and the winner would be the tale that told the story best.
    Winning is only determined by the voters. If voters like the story resembling the theme then they will vote for it. This is not always the case though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    Naturally, the only tales possible were war stories over and over. The rules evolved and became more flexible. When I got in on TOTW, you didn't even need to follow the theme or the picture, you could do whatever. I realize that now you don't necessarily have to follow the quote and picture and theme (I sure didn't) but people seem to think that.
    You could see this as an extra challenge to hone your skills. I never bother with either the quote or the picture unless they are exceptionally inspirational to me but some people get inspiration from them. I also don't necesairrily (spelling?) vote for the story with the closest resemblance to the theme.

    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    I am strongly in favor of removing keywords-they hinder creativity and force us to work inside a box. I am also in favor of increasing the word limit so we can have better developed plots. Not a drastic increase, perhaps up to 1,000-1500 words. I would also like us to stress that it is not required to address the picture, quote, or theme. I believe these rules will increase flexibility and creativity.
    Duly noted and I promise your remarks will be addressed. Don't expect a sudden change of policy though. Let's just see how the first 4-6 weeks of TotW turn out and then we can adjust policy (word limit, keywords etc) if it needs change

  4. #44
    Radzeer's Avatar Rogue Bodemloze
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,344

    Default Re: ToTW Commentary Thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boustrophedon View Post
    The quote, picture and keywords are left to decide by the person responsible for that weeks TotW rather than a general policy. It's a bit too soon to judge on this because only Hesus, robinzx and Dark Storm have opened a storyboard. Radzeer hasn't yet and who knows what his choice of quote, picture and keywords will be?
    Yeah, who knows...

    Quote Originally Posted by Boustrophedon View Post
    Let's just see how the first 4-6 weeks of TotW turn out and then we can adjust policy (word limit, keywords etc) if it needs change
    Well said.

    We had staff discussion on the themes and topic, addressing quite a few things. The four of us will rotate coming up with a storyboard under the whip of Hesus, so you can expect some diversity for sure. Just try out how it goes, and we'll see. The first storyboards turned out to be popular, which is a good sign.

  5. #45
    Nazgūl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡
    Moderator Emeritus

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Holy Land - Israel
    Posts
    10,976

    Default Re: ToTW Commentary Thread.

    I have absolutely no opposition to wait around 4-6 weeks to see how it goes, thus far I've been rather pleased with how its went, because no one specifically said you must address the quote nor picture (Which is exactly why I also oppose being forced to address the keywords), and I see your point completely Asterix, but there's absolutely no argument that since the remaking of TotW with the old rules, we've had significantly more posts and more stories, so apparently it's working.

    I didn't like the too-much-freedom TotW, it didn't have any challenge. The challenge, to me, isn't winning. It's to write something in inspiration of the quote and picture while not having to force myself onto that same topic,, but I still have the word limitation, that I would be happy about. That's quite a challenge for me, since when it comes to my writing I typically over-criticize my work and am a sort of a perfectionist.

    The issue you're addressing doesn't lie as much in the rules as it does more lie in the creativity of writers. Sooner or later, I assure you, people here will start writing about varied subjects because they'll realize that the piece that repeats the words of others generally doesn't win, which is the beauty of TotW. It taught me to think outside of the box. If you want, you can address the writers and urge them to think more outside-the-box, there's nothing better than some advise between writers.
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

  6. #46
    Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Home Counties
    Posts
    3,465

    Default Re: ToTW Commentary Thread.

    I am quite happy with the keywords. I had no trouble crafting a story for TotW120 with all five of them. I even managed to be consistent with the cavalry charge picture, yet my story wasn't actually about war at all.

    The problem I have is fitting my story into 500 words. I had to reduce it down from around 750, and it was definitely getting a bit terse by the time it was admissable for TotW.

    I do understand that longer stories put casual visitors off, but perhaps we might consider upping the limit just a little, perhaps 600?
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

    Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!


  7. #47
    Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Divide & Conquer Ver 3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee
    Posts
    11,521

    Default Re: ToTW Commentary Thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    I am quite happy with the keywords.

    The problem I have is fitting my story into 500 words. I had to reduce it down from around 750, and it was definitely getting a bit terse by the time it was admissable for TotW.

    I do understand that longer stories put casual visitors off, but perhaps we might consider upping the limit just a little, perhaps 600?
    I do understand that longer stories put casual visitors off
    I do not recall EVER seeing/hearing this during the last shopkeep's tenure. And remember that to him any story over 200 words was instantly deemed too long.
    Last edited by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze; January 13, 2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: puctuation

  8. #48

    Default Re: ToTW Commentary Thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nazgūl Killer View Post
    I have absolutely no opposition to wait around 4-6 weeks to see how it goes, thus far I've been rather pleased with how its went, because no one specifically said you must address the quote nor picture (Which is exactly why I also oppose being forced to address the keywords), and I see your point completely Asterix, but there's absolutely no argument that since the remaking of TotW with the old rules, we've had significantly more posts and more stories, so apparently it's working.

    I didn't like the too-much-freedom TotW, it didn't have any challenge. The challenge, to me, isn't winning. It's to write something in inspiration of the quote and picture while not having to force myself onto that same topic,, but I still have the word limitation, that I would be happy about. That's quite a challenge for me, since when it comes to my writing I typically over-criticize my work and am a sort of a perfectionist.

    The issue you're addressing doesn't lie as much in the rules as it does more lie in the creativity of writers. Sooner or later, I assure you, people here will start writing about varied subjects because they'll realize that the piece that repeats the words of others generally doesn't win, which is the beauty of TotW. It taught me to think outside of the box. If you want, you can address the writers and urge them to think more outside-the-box, there's nothing better than some advise between writers.
    I suppose you're right, people will figure out addressing the theme isn't mandatory. My argument was set on some thin ice . And I'm willing to see how things work out over the next few weeks. We've gotten some new writers and some good new themes, I can't argue with that.
    And thanks everyone for filling me in on how the storyboard works, with the rotating organizers. Wasn't aware of that.
    Last edited by Asterix; January 13, 2012 at 06:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    My point is that, while pastries are delicious, they are not a factor in deciding whether or not to start a rebellion against the lord of the realm.
    do leave your name if you give me rep. i may just return the favor. maybe.
    please visit the Tale of the Week forum at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=802 for brilliant writing, people, and brownies. with nuts, if you prefer.

  9. #49
    Nazgūl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡
    Moderator Emeritus

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Holy Land - Israel
    Posts
    10,976

    Default Re: ToTW Commentary Thread.

    I noticed the rotation, however I had no idea that the organizers had such a relative freedom. I think it adds some extra challenge too, and even if not that, it adds diversity.
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

  10. #50
    Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    3,158

    Default Re: ToTW Commentary Thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nazgūl Killer View Post
    I noticed the rotation, however I had no idea that the organizers had such a relative freedom. I think it adds some extra challenge too, and even if not that, it adds diversity.
    We live under the whip and whim of Hesus there will be plenty of diversity don't worry!

    I should start cracking on that tale of mine TotW 122 doesn't really need my submission but I can't not write something. Let's see if my old quill can conjure something half-decent

  11. #51
    Radzeer's Avatar Rogue Bodemloze
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,344

    Default Re: ToTW Commentary Thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boustrophedon View Post
    I should start cracking on that tale of mine TotW 122 doesn't really need my submission but I can't not write something. Let's see if my old quill can conjure something half-decent
    Just another day before my storyboard goes up, so time to sharpen your quill!

  12. #52
    Darkan's Avatar Senator
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Searching...
    Posts
    1,332

    Default Re: ToTW Commentary Thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
    Just another day before my storyboard goes up, so time to sharpen your quill!
    What will it be, what will it be? Can you give us a preview?
    Ok, I“ll be good and wait.
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

  13. #53
    Radzeer's Avatar Rogue Bodemloze
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,344

    Default Re: ToTW Commentary Thread.


  14. #54
    Nazgūl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡
    Moderator Emeritus

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Holy Land - Israel
    Posts
    10,976

    Default Re: ToTW Commentary Thread.

    This is bloody insane. 10 reservations (Among them already submissions) already! And it's been not three days since #123 was posted...

    Welcome back, TotW, old friend. We missed you sorely.


    I gotta thank you guys, the staff and the writers, for bringing TotW back to life. There's nothing that makes me happier than to see my first true creative outlet return to its former glory, and there's nothing that makes me happier than to be able to write here again in a form that I'm truly happy about. I applaud the staff on their commitment and openness, and I applaud my fellow writers for their creativity and the vigor they have in their quill. Great work everyone.
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

  15. #55
    wowbanger's Avatar Jimmy's winning matches
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wreocensęte
    Posts
    593

    Default Re: ToTW Commentary Thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nazgūl Killer View Post
    This is bloody insane. 10 reservations (Among them already submissions) already! And it's been not three days since #123 was posted...

    Welcome back, TotW, old friend. We missed you sorely.


    I gotta thank you guys, the staff and the writers, for bringing TotW back to life. There's nothing that makes me happier than to see my first true creative outlet return to its former glory, and there's nothing that makes me happier than to be able to write here again in a form that I'm truly happy about. I applaud the staff on their commitment and openness, and I applaud my fellow writers for their creativity and the vigor they have in their quill. Great work everyone.
    I second that. I couldn't have put it better myself.
    Last edited by wowbanger; January 17, 2012 at 05:51 AM. Reason: spelling



    "Some writers never know what's to be written until they see it on the page...." Some words of wisdom from my good friend, Mega Tortas de Bodemloze

  16. #56
    Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Divide & Conquer Ver 3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee
    Posts
    11,521

    Default Re: ToTW Commentary Thread.

    RE: TotW123

    - 5 keywords that have to be used in the story
    - Word limitation of minimum 200 but maximum 500 words, in a spoiler
    - Deadline is the following Sunday
    - Minimum 3 submissions to start the competition
    - If you are a contestant you are honour bound to not read other contestants' writings until you have submitted yours.
    Just a small omission. The current rules for writing do not include a notation for bolding the keywords....

  17. #57
    Dark Storm's Avatar saut dans le vide
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    West Mids, England
    Posts
    7,568
    Tournaments Joined
    1
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: ToTW Commentary Thread.

    thanks for pointing that out
    ...treasure, pleasure, leisure, les yeux;
    It's all in your eyes.




  18. #58

    Default Re: ToTW Commentary Thread.

    So, just wanted to make sure of one thing, to get that gold medallion you have to win half of each years week, like 26 of 52 (24/25 was it? i forgot). Correct me if im wrong

  19. #59
    Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    3,158

    Default Re: ToTW Commentary Thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Clix View Post
    So, just wanted to make sure of one thing, to get that gold medallion you have to win half of each years week, like 26 of 52 (24/25 was it? i forgot). Correct me if im wrong
    Something like that. That's not a very likely possibility though. There aren't alot of people who manage to get a gold medal and those who do (like Juvenal) usually earn their medal with MAARC wins (4 points) so winning the MAARC 6 times will get you that gold medal.

    All that's pretty relative though. The true prize is the victory itself and not the medal

  20. #60

    Default Re: ToTW Commentary Thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boustrophedon View Post
    Something like that. That's not a very likely possibility though. There aren't alot of people who manage to get a gold medal and those who do (like Juvenal) usually earn their medal with MAARC wins (4 points) so winning the MAARC 6 times will get you that gold medal.

    All that's pretty relative though. The true prize is the victory itself and not the medal
    Yeah, the medal is the the extra-sized-super-big-christmas bonus

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •