Page 105 of 109 FirstFirst ... 555809596979899100101102103104105106107108109 LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 2169

Thread: TotW Commentary Thread.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: TotW Commentary Thread.

Good day/evening everyone.

A new week has arrived which means another chance to compete in the Tale of the Week competition. So grab your quills and ink pots for TotW 288: After the Battle I'm anxious to see what you all come up with for this one.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

I am tempted to do a cut and paste. I was working one a single post AAR on this very topic including the key words. Of course I cannot or should not (well it was about 1500 words, LOL!)

So, I have a question that is related to an idea I have for the current TotW, but which might be more of a techy question for that area of the fora (if I should rather pose it there, just say so and I'll roll thaddaway). Anyway, for the idea I had I sort of only want to do it if I can offset certain things with the font "Telemarines", but that font is not available in the drop-down menu of fonts here. Is there some way to use other special fonts here on TWC, or am I out of luck? (Again, just tell me to bugger off if this should be asked elsewhere. I won't take offence )
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Oh bugger off!

Just kidding. Putting it in a box so other users don't have to read it if they're just scrolling for commentary.
    Aha! I know this one. Or, at least, some of it. To use fonts not in the drop down menu, simply type the bb code [FONT=fontnamehere] (your text here), then close it with a [/FONTT] (with one T, I put two so it doesn't activate the BB code.)

So this sentence is the standard font, and

this sentence uses Gabriola, which is a font not in the drop down menu.

However do note that if you choose to use a font not from the drop down menu, if other users don't have that font installed on their computer they won't be able to see it and it goes back to the default font(at least, that is my understanding). For example, in my creative writing, chapter 2 is supposed to look like this:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

but on my brother's pc, it looks like this:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I did a quick google for your telemarines font, it seems like its a custom font that needs to be downloaded, so I think that other people won't see it even if you use it.
    Last edited by Swaeft; January 21, 2019 at 04:16 AM.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Thanks a million Swaeft! I will think about it a bit more then, as I like the idea of having a bit more visual customization for the idea I have, but it sort of loses its purpose if no one can then read it.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Well done with the green cross button to rep the author of the picture used. I do not know if this has been done previously, but in any case I truly think it best to use our local talent for the inspiring pictures if possible and include the reputation button. Great job on the current TotW submission thread start!

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    Well done with the green cross button to rep the author of the picture used. I do not know if this has been done previously, but in any case I truly think it best to use our local talent for the inspiring pictures if possible and include the reputation button. Great job on the current TotW submission thread start!
    I also really liked the touch of having the button right there handy. Actually Swaeft, if you wouldn't mind putting in a code box what you wrote there for adding in the rep button, I'd really appreciate it, as I will at some point be using things made by other people for my own works, and having an easy thing for "rep this guy!" would be handy! I know I can figure it out myself by doing the reply with quote and then switch to source mode method, but I figured having an answer here might be helpful for anyone else wanting to include that sort of thing in the future!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Thank you, glad you guys like the idea! I can't take the credit for this though, my esteemed colleagues have actually done it before. You're right about how to check on how other people use the BBcodes by clicking 'reply with quote' then switching to source mode (the leftmost button on the hotbar with the two 'A's, one black and the other blue and underlined), but here's the explanation kindly provided by Caillagh:

Rep buttons are done like this:

[URL="http://www.twcenter.net/forums/reputation.php?do=addreputation&p=15587088"][IMG]http://www.twcenter.net/forums/images/y2skin/buttons/reputation-40b.png[/IMG][/URL]

The bit between the [img] tags is the actual picture of the little green button, so that always stays the same. The bit you need to change (so that the right person gets the rep) is the number at the end of the url. In the one above, the number that makes the difference is 15587088. That number is the number for the link to a post. You need to find a post that was made by the person who should get the rep, and use the number for that post. The number you want is the one at the end of the url for the post. Do not confuse this with the number from the thread url. You need the number from the link for the specific post; right-click on the post number (the one shown at the top right of the post, with a # by it) and then click on 'Copy Link Location'. Paste the result of that somewhere, and use the number from the end of it. If you can manage it, it's best to use a post that you don't think many people will have given rep for, because nobody can give rep to any post more than once.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Following a fresh extension, TotW 289: Behemoth is still open for submission. Now's the time to grab those quills and prepare those parchments!

I keep planning on writing something, but apparently I am still running low on creative energies. Maybe sometime this next week I can manage something!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    I keep planning on writing something, but apparently I am still running low on creative energies. Maybe sometime this next week I can manage something!
    Good to hear - I need the Totws to go on if I am to win a medal there
    Oh, and that it's always enjoyable to read your stories, but that's not the important part
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    Good to hear - I need the Totws to go on if I am to win a medal there
    Oh, and that it's always enjoyable to read your stories, but that's not the important part
    Seriously, who cares about reading good stories, so long as we take home some medals at the end of the day.

But don't worry Athelstan, we'll get you that medal yet!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

I am very pleased that a pic from Alwyn's Haiti AAR was used for inspiration on the Tale of the Week 290. With the links, I came for a great read. Sad this ended, but whether complete or not it is well worth a read. The research is impressive. That alone makes this worth a read.

I simply cannot say enough about the quality of this AAR from 4 years ago.

Posted to TotW290 Colonialism, but no promises on format or correct bold fonts on the words. Sigh.

With all of the big name members posting, this will be a great competition to read all of the entries. Good luck to all!!!!

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Posted to TotW290 Colonialism, but no promises on format or correct bold fonts on the words. Sigh.
    Yes, we've been having one or two technical difficulties ourselves, which is why the voting thread hasn't been posted yet. Still, at least it gave you time to post your entry!

Yes, we've been having one or two technical difficulties ourselves, which is why the voting thread hasn't been posted yet. Still, at least it gave you time to post your entry!

Exciting news! You can now cast your votes in the very popular Tale of the Week 290: Colonialism - and as if that were not enough, you can also submit your entries in our thrilling new competition, Tale of the Week 291: Renewal!

WS Staff would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that the reason we ask you to put your keywords in bold is to make it easy for us to spot them in your entries. We know it's easy to make mistakes with BB Code, but we would appreciate it if everyone could make their keywords obvious. We're not going to disqualify anyone for the occasional mistake, of course. Thank you!

Renewal should have been about the server update! Alas, it is about a twig, a stick with buds and flowers. But I guess call it by any other name and a renewal will still smell as sweet. The fact that I can now edit my mistakes is as good of a renewal on TWC that I could ever hope for.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I love the number of entries in this TotW. Good job on submitting everyone!

Renewal should have been about the server update! Alas, it is about a twig, a stick with buds and flowers. But I guess call it by any other name and a renewal will still smell as sweet. The fact that I can now edit my mistakes is as good of a renewal on TWC that I could ever hope for.
    You're welcome to ignore the image and write about the server updates. (The server updates were the inspiration for the theme, as it happens, so you'll actually be sticking very closely to the theme if you do that! )