Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Extended map

Default Re: Extended map

Quote Originally Posted by baz
    i use PSD to keep high quality and covert them into TGA when all the work it done
    Sure you do, but you only may have used 'my' eastern heights from the jpg I've posted here... but if it works fine for you, no problem

I would say the new regions should be better integrated with the original map, on your regions map the border between the original map and the extended part is too obvious... I would propose something like this:

regions

I am not sure whether this will work (for testing purposes; I use RGB of the original regions and I suppose I do not need to specify the location for the new settlements yet, that the game will read the new regions as integral part of the already existing regions; and I will be able to pick the coordinates for the new settlements easily ingame according to the real terrain there)

The large green region, associated to Forodwaith now, is the Haradwaith... there will be the Sudu Cull settlement for it's definition, and the settlement will be accessible... the Dune Sea and the Mirror of Fire won't, just their border parts. And perhaps a narrow passage, a "sectret caravan path", marked by some trade resources...

The Sultanate of Raj... appears to be a rich region, I think it should be the new Haradrim capital site. Several other new southron of khandish regions would be rebel to represent independent tribes (to be conquered by Harad at the early stages of the game obviously).

In the east, easterling developed cities near the edge of the map, the original would be made a bit less important from the start of the campaign, some rebels as well.

My heights, completed:

heights

It will need adjustments for the rivers I guess.
    Last edited by Adjudant-Major; January 08, 2012 at 01:40 PM.

baz44331's Avatar Ordinarius

yep the regions map looks good you should use it. Your heights map still has the lake at the end of the old map. that will need to be removed if its to match the map you have on the first page. other than that looks good. now the ground map will need to be done. the one I posted is a very early wip I wouldn't use it because its done just to test if it worked colour wise. the one that will be use for he heights map will need to be perfect to work right and look right. the only thing ill say it you regions are very big.. but it should work fine. turns out the only reason i couldint get my map to work was the dimensions on the descr_terrain. what ones are you useing?

width 510
    height 510

It worked well for the extended eastern part with 510, 342.

My regions are large as I do not want to use too many new settlements... but that's something everyone must test ingame. Even for making the whole new map working it's easier to have less new regions... they can be split later easily.

(the lake... I like it I would see the map as inspiration, there certainly is a reason why the team added that lake... if the only reason was to make the whole large desert region more interesting, I would understand it)
    Last edited by Adjudant-Major; January 08, 2012 at 03:41 PM.

@AM: The region ean height maps are really good

I like espacially the difference between the big regions in the plain and desert regions and the smaller ones at the coast .

Thanks I start to think this may really work...

Ground types, the South is not quite finished :

ground types

Maby the Khand-Nurad region should be more like this on the regions map:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

- Khand should be three regions North, South and Greater Khand because of the importance of this region and high population (compared to Nurad)
    - Nurad is not populous and there should only have two big regions
    - On the map are a lot of cities east of the upper course of the Harnen, maby there should be one more region

PS.: What do you think of this naming?
    PPS.: Can you make the Harnen navigable?

A.M very nice ground map mate. the finish on the mountains and bush ground type areas is very good.. well done! there be noting left for me to do now lol. sadly time is something i dont have ATM. not till friday and the weekend. have you did a test yet? just to check it out the geographical areas ?
    Last edited by baz44331; January 09, 2012 at 08:17 AM.

Yes... and I have a CTD all the time

I've finished all the necessary maps including water_surface etc; before I change all y coordinates I wanted to check if adding 168 is correct, because it really is a lot of coordinates to change... so I've tried to simplify the descr_strat to the minimum, one character per faction, no watchtowers or resources, etc, nearly all settlements slave... but I think I will have to test it properly, most probably I forget there about some stupid detail. The log says nothing... I will restart the work during the week.

climates

water surface

Maybe this last map is wrong ? I was not sure how it works, if there are any colour limitations, but I suppose the worst thing that might happen here is that the map won't look nice. I will first check this by extending the map once more to the east only.

@Isildor

First we need to see it working, it must get a high visual standard, the regions are an easy thing to change when the map is ready.

I think the water surface map looks perfect to be honest. i think the last one would be map_features.but just one question the heights map is 1021 yes, so you resized it to 510 on the TGA? and used it in the dimensions on the descr_terrain.

I have the features map as well ; I follow the original maps sizes, where it was 801, I have 1021 (heights, ground, water, climates), where it was 400, I have 510 (regions, features), etc. The roughness map was 800, I made it 1021, and the log said it should be 1020, so this works fine, the size of the map should be pose any troubles... the descr_terrain said 400 for the map size 400 or 801, so my descr_terrain says 510 for 510 or 1021

Edit: right... so I know what causes my ctd's here, it's the new features map. I did something wrong there. I suppose I force the rivers to climb or something

And there are many places to be changed in the new far east... the trees don't show at most places due to wrong climate, many details must be adjusted so that the map matches the quality of the original part.
    Last edited by Adjudant-Major; January 10, 2012 at 04:26 AM.

Are you guys still working on this project ? because I am very interested, it would be even better than the original extended map submod

Sure... it's only I don't have enough time for modding in these days, I hope I can get back to it in february. I will have to read a tutorial about the map features, it seems to be a false and tricky nasty thing.

yep I'm also very busy with RL but should be back for feb.

Quote Originally Posted by Adjudant-Major View Post
    Sure... it's only I don't have enough time for modding in these days, I hope I can get back to it in february. I will have to read a tutorial about the map features, it seems to be a false and tricky nasty thing.
    You should find this useful:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...51#post2258251

Thanks, I think I see my mistakes...

If you need a beta tester someday I'm willing to help
    My exams are over and I have a lot of spare time this week

After a break, I am back to it... but I have no success, I get CTDs for unknown reason, the map features is not the problem. Actually it is, and it crashes to desktop immediately when I launch a new campaign and a new map.rwm is not even created, but I can make it all black, and it seems working... the map.rwm is created, but the CTD follows in a few seconds anyway.

I guess if it was the code, the log would point our the mistake. It must be something within the map files, but after dozens of trials I simply have no idea what it could be. Would anyone with strat map experiences like to find out ? I would send you my files...

EDIT

Last thing I tried... worked I simply made everything new black and changed file by file... I had a few errors in the code after all, I don't know why, but now all may new files work fine in the game, and I can, finally, get into the most interesting part : to make it look good, create regions, and put the new large part of the map into the storyline... fooo
    Last edited by Adjudant-Major; March 08, 2012 at 07:32 AM.

sanderman2's Avatar Centenarius

Nice , but i would mostly like if there would be something like a map wichs adds the sunken realms .

Libertus

The map looks like a a sick idea. Props for trying to make it and can't wait to try it.

dannyalex's Avatar Campidoctor

any news?
    Most Chivalrous commander 2020-2021

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast