Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Extended map

Default Extended map

edit: this is not a submod, but I place the download link to the files here for anyone who would be interested to implement these in his game ; anyone, feel free to use them and release them in a public submod... base.zip (updated)

Hi,

some of us tried already to extend the map a bit, there are submods working on that. Here is a nice map offering inspiration for the map expansion towards the south :

http://lindefirion.net/maps/

What is are the limits for our campaign map ?
    Last edited by Adjudant-Major; July 19, 2012 at 08:48 AM.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Extended map

200 regions and I think 1054*1054 for the heigth map is the limit
    current map_heights.tga is 801*685

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Also you'd have to make at least 5 new factions that would cover the new areas, and that's a lot of work
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

No way... I am very fine with the existing factions. It's just that Rhûn and Harad might be given a deeper territory = longer campaign against them when Mordor is out and the Reunited Kingdom reformed.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

So all those regions in the north would be rebel? Also as lolIsuck said, there isnt space enough to make that map. Also it's fanfic
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

There's nothing in the North that might interest me nor motivate me to work on it

Quote Originally Posted by me
    Here is a nice map offering inspiration for the map expansion towards the south ... It's just that Rhûn and Harad might be given a deeper territory
    If the limit is 1054 pixels, we can get 25% more to the East and 35% more to the South.

This is the picture at 1054 x 1054...

1054 x 1054
    Last edited by Adjudant-Major; December 23, 2011 at 01:46 PM.

baz44331's Avatar Ordinarius

I would like to extend the map. I may try it soon and let rebel army control them new parts of the map so the races ingame can retake them.

My idea is to give those southern and easter territories to Harad and Rhûn basically (and make their actual settlements smaller and limited). It might make both factions more powerful and difficult to destroy. The idea behind that is that it was quite impossible for Gondor (or for anybody else) to "destroy" Harad or Rhûn... in TATW (2.1 experience, perhaps it's harder now) it's pretty easy for Gondor to take all actual Harad and get it's southern border safe. If we extended the map, this would be much more difficult.

Well ive looked into how to extend the map and it looks pretty simple cos ive moded before.. for many games. Although I cant count how many time's I think something is easy and it turns into a nightmare lol. But we will get there. I like your idea, but for now ill extend the map and we see then later on what we should do to the settlements, Once it works then we should get permission to release it as a submod.

Feel free to do so

I (sub)mod many things in "my" game and I am not going to release it (at least not soon), I do it for my own pleasure.

I was trying to change several parts of the actual map. Easy things like removing the land bridges, adding river crossings, creating islands, worked well. But I don't think I will be able to paint whole new regions and meet the quality of the original parts.

yes I Understand what your saying custom it to your liking . I'm going to start on Saturday and with a bit of hope we will have something decent. My main moding skill is texture artist but I can script a little and model a little. If this works right I'm going to recreate a second age map also. one with all the old elven lands and Numenor. but we see one step at a time

I'd gladly support you... I have some coding and scripting skills, hex-editing, skinning, but I am not really an artist (you may have seen my oathbreakers). I tried to "doctor" some models, but they never worked

Back to the map - would you agree with the 1054 x 1054 map ? = to extend the map towards the east and towards the south. If I am not mistaken, there is an advantage - the original x y coordinates are not changed, we only add new ones. I would go as far as to the Bay of Tulwang and the Sultanate of Raj (no idea if it existed at the end of the TA, but... who knows )

There are not many details in the east... geneally I like the idea of rich Easterling cities in the far east.

yes i liked the oathbreakers they look really cool,

1054 x 1054 map sounds good to me. Bay of Tulwang and the Sultanate of Raj yep I see them on the map nice addon in land mass. sounds good.

this is the tutorial ive being look at to expand the map.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=156180

So it should be 1021, not 1054...

I am wrong about the coordinates I am afraid x 1 y 1 is the lower left corner... does it mean we would have to change all existing x y coordinates ?

yep 1021 x 1021 then thats if a map will work at this size I haven't looked into that yet still reading up on stuff. I'm still learning the ropes lol. existing x y coordinates? don't under stand this part.

In descr_strat or in the campaign_script there are the x y coordinates to place characters, watchtowers, forts... if we extend the map towards the south, we probably will have to change all y coordinates that actually exist, because we move y 1

A yes I see them. Hmm... pain staking work but for the over all goal I think its worth it. so to get the y coordinates on the map once its made. is there a tool to get the actual x y coordinates after I update the map?

I have no idea... basically it won't be complicated, we would just need to add a number to the actual y's (the same number for all), just time consuming (with typo risks of course).

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

If you extend the map south you should edit ALL coordinates in descr_strat and campaign_script

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I think the only area that really deserves any significant expansion would be Rhun. Going too far north would be a stretch, I think.

But this is all my opinion.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast