Thread: Have a DX11 compatible card, but DX11 is greyed out in the Graphics Options (SOLUTION: windows updates)

Jayzilla's Avatar Centenarius

Default Have a DX11 compatible card, but DX11 is greyed out in the Graphics Options (SOLUTION: windows updates)

Hello everyone. I've just solved a frustrating S2 ctd issue by installing Vista SP2 (Previous thread *HERE* contains system setup and pre-SP2 DXDIAG).

However, while the game runs smoothly, I have yet to see the DX11 wonder-graphics, and I would like to. For whatever reason, when I mouse over the 'dx11' option in my graphics settings, the button is greyed out. DX9 is my only other option (not sure why it doesn't show dx10?).

It gives me a tooltip that says that 'DX11 is not compatible with your current graphics card', even though I'm sure that my Radeon 6870 *is* dx11 compatible. Is there some kind of setting I could change behind the scenes in order to enable DX11?
    Last edited by Jayzilla; March 01, 2012 at 10:25 PM.

Default Re: Have a DX11 compatible card, but DX11 is greyed out in the Graphics Options

I think it has to do with your OS, I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think Vista supports DX11 natively, I think you can install it though.

Default Re: Have a DX11 compatible card, but DX11 is greyed out in the Graphics Options

I was under the impression that SP2 for vista enabled DX11, but maybe I need to find something to download.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Have you instlled .Net 4 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Have you instlled .Net 4 yet?
    Uhh.... don't think so. I was too busy playing the game without CTDs :p

That's where I think dx11 finally comes into play.

The next ctd, install it, run Windows Update, and install sofware options. Its updates will be in there.

alright, i'll run that and let you know if it fixes it.

Running the game in DX9 has been great though now that I've got vista SP2, I haven't had one CTD. Mostly I want to see if DX11 will improve my graphics much

It may improve the graphics but hurt performance. Good luck.

Oooh, I ran windows updates again, hadn't since before installing SP2.

85 updates.

DX11 is available.

Success!

Default Re: Have a DX11 compatible card, but DX11 is greyed out in the Graphics Options (SOLUTION: windows updates)

Good to hear. Enjoy the game.