Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gondor Guide 3.0/3.1

Indefinitely Banned

Default Gondor Guide 3.0/3.1

Gondor Strategy Guide 3.0

Getting started

First off, grab yourself a cuppa!

The first 50 turns are crucial to the outcome of the campaign, and the harder you work within these turns, the bigger the return and easier the campaign gets. The tips, tricks, tactics and style of play I use may slightly differ from your own, but I hope it should provide insight into deeper play and planning.

I would recommend making fixed saves of the game at least every five turns, especially at stable points of the game when income is good and borders are guarded, so you can revise tactics if things start turning sour, saving the whole campaign from being trashed. Sometimes if you look around, and have a think, even the worst situations are manageable. You have to take losses at some stage, and you may get pushed back, or lose a leader for the greater good of the campaign, but being prepared for setbacks will save your campaign with some of the tips im suggesting. Some of the tactics may be considered gamey, but it gets results, and you aren't having to cheat.

The First Turns Are Crucial

Economy

You need to pour money into mines, farms, markets and roads, my personal advice would be to start with the most expensive structures such as mines and farms, has markets can be built when income is low keeping the production queues going. I would recommend players to keep tax levels on normal as this will keep squalors down, which reduces income in the long run, and causing corruption to get out of control. High taxes may seem a good idea in the short term, but will hurt you in the long run, at the worst only resulting to using high tax to achieve the funding for a necessary structure, if slightly short, and raising the tax for a length of 1 turn.

For your first turn everything should go into your economy, but also placing unit on build ready for when the funding is ready. This will allow the unit force pool to begin replenishing.

An important tip is to actually build the high tier barracks on the first turn while you have the funding, in Pelagir, this means you will have the necessary spearmen to hold Harad in check, and is within range of both the Mordor and Harad front. Having shipping in this area will allow you to move troops quicker to the front often making the difference of arriving for a battle on time.
    Also having this barracks built, will allow you to gain better quality troops for free by completing missions. So its vital its built in Pelagir first, while your building a mine in Minas Tirith.

For the rest of the game, your focus should be to to build when you can, when your lines are holding steady, while having as many troops garrisoned, only to mobilise last minute to meet a threat, this means a combination of good intelligence using watch towers and spy’s which obviously pays for itself letting you know when to act. Otherwise the player state mind will be to keep troops continuously fielded in the event a dred stack sliping past the front. You gradually improve your intelligence on the the two front over time, but a small investment in spy early on will keep you 1 step ahead of the AI despite being outnumbered. This is a actual contribution to the economy itself.

Military

Terms I use

Dred Stacks
    – A stack of harden high tier veterans that appear a few turns later after taking an important settlement.
    Mobilising – pulling garrisoned troops from settlements to form an army to counter threats or reinforce a front from being over run, or counter attacking to retake a area.
    Quick siege – allowing an army the attempt to rescue there buddies, as to bypass the fortifications and reduce losses.
    Settlement Bottling – Keep a settlement in constant state of siege in a bottleneck, blocking troop passage for the AI.
    Bottlenecking - holding crucial passes with an army in the hope to inflict maximum losses at small expense.

Tips

• Don't adopt any more Generals unless they have really good stats, but I would recommend only adopting after turn 50, and even then just the odd 1 that stands out. I personally got by on what I had which gave me 3k income a turn

• Always ransom, you never get negative traits from using ransom, and at worst the enemy pay for there prisoner which helps your income and reduce theres a bit. If you execute make sure its the ones that count like a general that will cause you hurt should you meet him again.

• Put your diplomat to work asap, trade agreements mean more income, alliances reduce the pressure and present the ai with a different situation to account for, and map information is nice too

An offer the ai always accepts
    Your Offer
    -Alliance – Trade Agreements - Map Information
    Your Demand
    -Map Information

• If you get a mission asking you to make contact with an enemy nation, just gift them 1 gold, and claim your 500 gold reward or free units.

• If an invasion is launched at you, and its not your capital, don't bother defending it, let the first army take it, which will mostly likey be harad trying to reclaim a settlement for mordor, if you follow my advice. Which you can let them take then counter attack and siege them out.

• If you don't gain ships from the missions which you should, as I have done on starting a campaign 3 times, you need to build them, its vital Gondor rules the seas, your navy doesn't have to be big, 6 ships split between two stacks will do the job, although ill suggest keeping them as one until they gain chevrons and a general. Try to build your 2nd tier ships. You can also use this as a quick escape for troops too, if they can't out run two big huge stack, and need to fall back close to reinforcement for a counter attack, just hop them on the boat, the ai can't attack your troops on the boat.
    • Dont build buildings that boost culture in hostile region, or settlement you believe you may have to abandon and retake, you will lose a building worth 1200 gold
    • Don't wait for missions to present themselves in order to capture a region, you need move fast within the first 16 turns, try to complete mission as much possibile in the quickest time, but nothing above and beyond or wasting troops in the rear to garrison a frontier unless you can.

The First 16 turns

You should be able to start mobilising from the on set of the campaign with the forces you have, you will have two main obvious operating theatres, which you will have to divide manpower into. The Mordor front is the obvious immediate front, Harad won't become a major threat until it takes Barad Harn. So you have to strike Mordor quickly and seize the whole of Ithilien quickly before Mordor starts flooding through trying to merge stacks there. Its vital Ithilien is taken quickly and held until town guards can be built in them. This will allow free garrisoned units that can be used to reinforce a fielded stack. The close grouping of settlements will allow you to group troops together at last minute to face any dread stacks, all the rest of the time when a state of emergency isn't declared, rotating with front line troops. The rebel settlements are fairly easy to take as you are fighting peasant, stick minimal forces of about 3 units, (e.g 1general, 2 sword milita, or 2 archers 1 genral) its very winnable even if your up against 6 -7 rebel units. The rest of the troops sending to both the Mordor & Harad front, I would stress the worthlessness of having a general in a settlement at the beginning of the game unless its any of the major settlements, even then I believe a general can best serve the faction by fighting on the frontline, since they suffer from no free upkeep, and a gondor milita unit does. Also the obvious benefits of free replenishment will keep your army standing for much longer, this also provide your army with good cavalry that are a vital and necessary component for a players army to achieve quick wins with low casualties. Unless defending and holding incredible high ground and being archer strong in a choke point you needn’t worry about cavalry. But when defending/fighting in bad terrain, cavalry is vital. Gondor Calvary militia have the same upkeep as a bodyguard unit, use any Gondor Calvary for secondary roles such as chasing fleeing units, or replacing a lost general to keep the cavalry numbers up of the army.

So for the first turn you will want to pull as many troops including generals to the front lines from the rear while keep a unit that benefits from free upkeep to managed the settlement. At the beginning I would recommend sending Faramir, Boromir and Imarhil to the Mordor front. The combined bonuses put into one small fighting stack will keep the stack combat effective for a longer period at the same time seizing ithilien on the offence, then moving in to bottle mordor settlement in the passes. This should be your target to complete within the first 16 turns on the mordor front.

Mordor Front

Faramir – offer long range missile and stamnia, use this to draw then enemy in toward your main battle lines of archers also in skirmish mode constantly falling back and shooting. In the first 20 turns of the game, enemy stacks aren't well balance, if they can't catch your archers, they will march right past them towards your fixed melee troops, creating a gaulet of death. Losses should be minimal on this front unless one of the ring wraths get an army together and marches on you, having good intelligence may allow you to catch him before he can merge with a stack. You will take losses fighting him, they are acceptable, especially if you kill him, or ransom him, but even beating him will put him out of the fight for you to recover.

Boromir – Will eventually have to move the Harad front, to boost spearmen numbers and hold that front together, as it will begin to heat up around turn 30. But for the first 16 turns your need to get mordor under control, and steadly go from strength to strength, getting comfortable it that front. The ai will continue to hit you at the chokepoints ive listed, but they do eventually give up, especially if you keep making alliances. But use boromir as your front line fighting unit supported by another unit on the left flank to protect boromir himself. Then use your archer to support them firing from the flanks, as I said, if you deploy your melee force at the back of the map, and archer up front, all you have to do is walk the enemy towards yur melee troops, they probably won't even make it to the fight. Battles will only become more pitched about turn 30 when enemy stacks balance out, and by then you should be holding all the required choke point that won't allow them to make as use of the variety of units they now have.

Imarhil – This is your anti – troll guy when the archers fails, also good for dealing with enemy bodyguard and causing fighting bonuses to surrounding troops. By sending Imarhil to ithilien, you can now go on the offence and take the necessary choke point knowing you can deal with trolls with ease. Your aim should be to quick siege your way into Minas Morgul immediatley placing Cirith Ungol in a state of settlement bottling.blocking. You can now place that settelment under permanet seige, only lifting the sige before they sally out then placing it back under siege. A few turn later you will see a Dred Stack appear behind the settlement, which they couldn't possbiliy have built, but don't worry, you won't have to deal with them soon, as long as you get archers and some melee troops at the crossing north of ithilien, which will now be the ai new route of attack, expect a spider attack through here too and expect to take losses and lose a settlement, just contain the bug problem by counter attacking and besiging the spider in the settlement while getting troops back on the chokepoint, the more damage you can inflict to the army containing the spider, the less troops you have to use to counter attack with.

That half your mordor problem solved, and can now defend that with ease, just watching for the odd stack taking the path of the druidain village, which if you place a spy in the dead marshes and the approach to the rohan, your have plently of warning allowing you to keep troops garrisoned for longer. You can now have start working more with the Harad front. This is advice for a strong start off, place all these general in one army and use them as one stack. Send denathor also to fight, don't waste him in a settlement, send him to capture rebel settlement from the start, and hold north ithilien choke point while your main fighting stack locks down the choke point in the passes. Use Forlong to look after minas tirith instead.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

the front advances, obviously this is turn 86, but ii had it established by turn 30

Harad Front

During the first turns you should be pulling force from the rear towards this front, you should have 3 - 5 cavalry generals in your stack and some fighting troops by turn 16, which makes for a very effective stack and can bully Harad for little while.

Before you get to this stage you need to think about capturing the rebel settlements, you start with a boat near the rebel island, and an army in linhir, which means you can take the settlement on the first turn. Then transport the troops to barad harn, while other troops are rushing up from the rear to merge up with your now frontline force. Your aim should be to keep Barad Harn out of enemy hands, but not be to shy to fall back and abandon it to save your army, always scorch earthing there settlements, this keep them from changing the culture until your ready to take it permanently. Also its your first stages of raiding, you shouldn’t look to raid settlements like Umbar until turn 50 + just get the ones on your border. You can't aford to overstretch your forces unless you have a good spy system on enemy whereabouts. Also always deal with any immediate emergency, if you have an invasion plan, but get rolled by 3 stacks, deal with the problem at hand and then get back to the plan, it may feel like every time you go to do something you get attacked, but you will see you will eventually get a little give and the gain, and reaping is well worth it, while the campaign keep getting easier. Such as working toward raiding the rear of harad, but finding the spare forces to send, there will be an eventual lapse when you know when the timing good, and when you get that settlement in the rear under seige, watch the AI stacks go crazy with confusion, just make sure to be in and out before they do arrive.

Its also vital the rebel settlement opposite the river at Pelagir is not taken, by you and the enemy, as this will act as your buffer, and keep the approach to pelagir locked down. You shouldn’t see any Harad troops there unless its from a corsair raid, which happened rarely, and if you control the seas isn't a problem, unless you have harad units trying to breakthrough to a besige army. Other then that, aslong as you keep an ongoing war going over barad harn, they won't approach through south ithilien, and will continue to push over the land sea passage of Linhir/Barad Harn. I will mark on a map a good place to defend which when even attack by mutiple stacks, not all can engage in the actual battle for some strange reason due to the map layout, this mean although your meant to fight two army, your be fighting one which is pretty nice. About 2/3 of the time it will be 1 stack your be fighting.

I won't list Generals to send to this front, as its pretty much everyone who left and idol, make you get your blackroot vale archer General down there too. i would recommend just to keep one general in the western settlements in the rear, the newly taken rebel settlement would be ideal.

It should now be turn 16 – 17, and should be in a stable position, you will need to keep pumping troops out to keep the garrisons full and ready to mobilise should front line forces fall or need reinforcing. Also you should be looking to continuing to improve barracks on the front line, if you can house better troops closer to the front line, your make life a lot easier. Use every part of your military from shipping for moving troops or rescuing troops from a sure defeat, use well deployed watch towers and spy to give early warning when you need to mobilise. Make sure to keep a good mix of troops, Gondor militia should be used to adsorb any shock and wear down the enemy before using any elite melee troops, Keep Gondor spear men spread thin, but mixed in with the Gondor militia to add a small anti cav bonus to a whole front line if your low on spearmen in guard mode.

Things on the Harad front will start growing tense, but you must keep up the harassment for as long as possibile, killing there stacks while there small. Being hammered by enemy cav, archers and ballistics will be your main problem, and require a constant flow of troops to be changing over with the front-line stack, just have to find the right balance and make sure your always have troops nearby ready to reinforce. If they can't make it to the full army in time, you make the full army fall back, The more troops you can keep alive the less you have to put into recruitment or retraining. But eventually your adapt to this front, and should be able cope quite easily in time, There will be a time they may hit you with 4 full stacks at once, but you may be able to fight of two, fall back from range, and jump in the ship to avoid being wiped out or meeting with reinforcements. It took me from turn 20 to 50 to gain a stable front there, with battles first being fought all over barad harn, and eventually push back over the sea bridge which I had to hold for a number of turns, with reinforcements being a major problem. But having ships ferrying troops from dor armoth and pelga is definitely the way to go if you can, but send them in dribs and drabs if you must, you have to make an effort to keep the frontline army up to strength.

If you need help for the later turns, just ask ill extend the guide
    Last edited by AgentGB; December 22, 2011 at 01:06 PM.

Default Re: Gondor Guide 3.0/3.1

A really good guide, thank you.

I rarely play Gondor as i have struggled in the past to stay alive or make much progress against their enemies, but i may now give it a shot! Seems to be a good strategy and there were some tips in there that i'd never thought of (like the queueing units to replenish the availabilty), should have probably realised that since i've been playing total war since Rome... .

Overall great guide and very well written, pics are useful too!

Indefinitely Banned

Thank you very much, got alot of typo in there towards the end, will sort that out later, and add a bit more to the Economy, ive missed stuff out, gotta wait to it springs to mind again

but thank you, hope your campaign goes well, just gotta run atight ship for the first 16 turns, your income will be huge once you control all these settlements

Nice and helpful guide

Nice!
    rep+

Haha very nice GB, +rep to you for beating me to this and doing such a nice job. I haven't played a full Gondor campaign in 3.0 yet but I was going to get around to it and write a guide due to those threads about Gondor being impossible

Indefinitely Banned

haha thanks man, yep just wanted to show how to get the most out of your start game, 1.0 was harder then 3.0 imo, i remember the shock people got when coming face to face with trolls and elephants, but people eventually adapted, as you can see there a guide devoted to it lol

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

This is great quide if you wan`t to finish campaign. But thanx to new COOL settlements, i keep low garrison on OSgiliath and pretty much evrywhere, and wait until they siege Minas Tirith. There the fun begins...
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Indefinitely Banned

yep... thats the downside, in order to fight in most of yur own custom settlements you need to be losing,

well in my campaing harad just take south ithilien (never seen them do that) and they are attacking barad-harn with small armies and mordor and harad are pushing foward to osgiliath and emyn arnen with mid-full stacks (only corsairs attack pelargir) so is a quite interesting situation
    Last edited by Benox; December 25, 2011 at 10:09 AM.
    Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do...

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Benox View Post
    well in my campaing harad just take south ithilien (never seen them do that) and they are attacking barad-harn with small armies and mordor and harad are pushing foward to osgiliath and emyn arnen with mid-full stacks (only corsairs attack pelargir) so is a quite interesting situation
    What turn you on? up until wave 16, your being fighting mutiple half sized stack battles in ithilien, but your aim should be to use the forces you have at Osgiliath, and some from Pelgir and a extra unit of archers to hold the center of ithilien clearing up half sized mordor stacks, while the rest of yur forces at minas titirth take the two closes rebel settlements, then taking control of north ithilien, you need to fight hard for all rebel settlements in ithilien, it helps income huge, plus two of the settlements come outfitted with archers ready to recruit which you will be lacking early game, your central ilthilien army needs to just keep hitting anything that comes through, be aggressive, and look for a moment to take the south ithilien region castle near Osgiliath with your main army guarding the center. I usualy wait til mordor takes it, then sweep in behind them and take it and go straight for the choke point, any troops that slip past after that will benefit you, as they will help you quick siege yur way in when you get to the settlement, just make sure you have a few units to make a stand at east osgilith, but they shud head back to help there own settlment.

About the rebel settlement opposite pelagir, the ai might take it first off, but we you take it, abandon it, crank the taxes, let it rebel, it will get an army and act as a buffer, the the ai will just continue trying for barad ham, and over the land bridge, but if you bottle neck mordor, your be able to send forces elsewhere, to much needed harad front

goodluck dude, thanks for reading too! I ive played 3 games, and was able to manipulate the ai into going certain directions, i sorta discovered it, when using raiding tactics to buy myself time, i often noticed if i raided a settlement, and the culture was mixed enough to turn rebel, sometimes the ai wouldn't have this as a priority settlement to take and bypass it unless in its direct path, or take there sweet time about capturing it.
    Last edited by AgentGB; December 25, 2011 at 11:39 AM.

Lionheart_19's Avatar Foederatus

I'm playing on M/M (yeah i know but i don't like to be fighting endless stacks, had enough of those on previous campaigns) with Gondor and i could use some advice. I've got both Osgiliaths and Cair Andros and decent garrisons on e. osgiliath and cair andros but for some reason mordor simply stopped attacking and it's been like 40 turns like this.

But harad is attacking me and pretty hard, not only in the linhir crossing but also in the pelargir crossing (bard harn is controlled by harad and that settlement you advise to leave as rebel is owned by mordor, maybe this is the reason). And my economy is giving me a lot of trouble maintaining an army on the southern pass

What i need is some advice on what should be my army defending these crosses from the haradrim stacks? militia and archer militia? how many would be needed? wich generals should be most helpful in dealing with harad troops? Bear in mind all my starting generals are still alive (i've got aragorn aswell) and i can recruit gondor infantry and gondor spearmen in pelargir

Well, I have another strategy which is the aggressive one. This strategy work both for Gondor and Rohan. I think it work just fine for other factions which have a lot of territory at the beginning like Harad, Mordor, Rhun and Eriador, but I don't have time to try it yet.

So here is my suggestion:

- Don't build anything at turn 1. Gather all troop to the South and prepare to conquer Harad. Set highest possible tax rate in your settlement (Normally you should set low tax rate on empty settlement to prevent riot, but minor city like Dol Amroth and Pelargir can be set normal tax rate or even high tax rate in minas tirith with a general governs it - I let Denethor) . Your units will lost free upkeep but with your starting money you can hold out for at least 10 turns or more. Planning campaign is your job but personally, I build two forces at the same time: one from Linhir move south, other by using your initial ship invade Erelond and Vatevea then move North. Join force at Umbar. After conquer Umbar, my army move east and put an end to Harad in around turn 30.

- At the beginning Harad doesn't have Troll Men or Mumakil yet, its force is scattered everywhere so it depend on your micro skill in a series of mini battles to archive total victory on Harad. It doesn't sound hard right.

- To prevent additional garrison force in major cities of Harad, just don't siege settlement. Make a battle near those cities to put the garrison force in battle like enemy reinforcement then kill them all, execute the rest after the battle, no ransom no release (for great victory we should sacrifice some generals). Save game before battle and reload if you don't kill all enemy yet (Usually the enemy general will get away if he flee before you kill him) . I always use a little force but still enough to win to lure enemy into a battle. This trick can be used to take Moria without encounter Balrog.

- At the beginning Southron Warband and Southron lancers are the most dangerous force of Harad, using wisely your general bodyguard because they can replenish themselves after battles. Plus you have Ithilien rangers from faramir, Blackroot Vale archer of Duinhir, Citadel Guard of Boromir, Black Swan Knights who protect Imrahil and a lot of general Bodyguards. Axemen of Lossarnach and javelin throw of Pelargir Marines are deadly weapon for Harad heavy cavalry even for Serpent Guard. Most of Harad infantry are spearmen so making a cavalry charge on their back while your militia keep them busy in the front is the best way to rout them. If you see a medium force of 6 to 10 unit, think of defending on a bridge.

- Each city captured will increase your income so you don't need to build any economic building yet to maintain your campaign. I got more than enough to build up reinforcement force and begin to build some farms.

- Now about Mordor, you have 2 choices, or you take Cair Andros and E. Osgiliath then maintance a half of stack in each settlement to keep Mordor force on the Eastern bank of the Great River, remember to use your ship to block the river passage near Pelargir. Or you can let them take W. Osgiliath and return to Minas Tirith. There are no way you can lose a defend battle in such a huge settlement like Minas Tirith in early game when Olog Hai isn't yet available. I choose the first option. And there is a alternative way to hold your land through diplomacy. Offer ceasefire for a settlement deep in your territory, so enemy force will lift siege. Then use your garrison force attack and retake the lost settlement. In the end the enemy get nothing and never be able to siege your settlement.

- Your reward for destroying Harad is a vast territory which will net a huge income to build up economy and from now you will never be harass by Harad or Corsair raid. And more interesting, you will have more advantage in diplomacy due to your nation's power. There is a trick to make money using diplomacy: you make war then offer ceasefire and trade right for some money. If you don't take their key settlement they will happily give you money for a peace treaty. My best score is 9000.

- Once you get money, I recommend you to build farms first in towns and large towns because farm increase both economy and population and set low tax rate if possible. In Minas Tirith, build barack first to get fountain Guard once they become available or at least some Gondor infantry and spearmen. In Cair Andross, build pratice range first to get access to Ithilien Rangers. You can also build some stables but I think Gondor cavalry isn't worth compare to cavalry militia. And I think you will defeat dark lord before you can recruit some Black Swan. The rest you can build like you want.

Here is some pics:

Last edited by gamervn; December 29, 2011 at 08:01 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart_19 View Post
    I'm playing on M/M (yeah i know but i don't like to be fighting endless stacks, had enough of those on previous campaigns) with Gondor and i could use some advice. I've got both Osgiliaths and Cair Andros and decent garrisons on e. osgiliath and cair andros but for some reason mordor simply stopped attacking and it's been like 40 turns like this.

But harad is attacking me and pretty hard, not only in the linhir crossing but also in the pelargir crossing (bard harn is controlled by harad and that settlement you advise to leave as rebel is owned by mordor, maybe this is the reason). And my economy is giving me a lot of trouble maintaining an army on the southern pass

What i need is some advice on what should be my army defending these crosses from the haradrim stacks? militia and archer militia? how many would be needed? wich generals should be most helpful in dealing with harad troops? Bear in mind all my starting generals are still alive (i've got aragorn aswell) and i can recruit gondor infantry and gondor spearmen in pelargir
    hmmmm Mordor must be expanding north? tbh, if mordor as the upperhand in Ithilien it will continue to push you, so seems a bit werid they have stopped, it may be as you suggested, that mordor controls a region in south Ithilien, so as completed its priority in holding certain settlement but they will obviously be back,

Could you load up your saved game so i can have a look please? and ill try to tailor a plan for the situation

One of the choke points for harad ive listed on the map will surely having you fight 1 stack 80% of the time, even when attacked by 3 stacks, the in game map, doesn't allow the reinforcements to join the main army unless they postion themselves correctly, which the ai may take a number of turns doing, and even then mabey only allowing for 2/3 stacks to attack. So the land bridge choke point at Linhir to barad ham is secure. Just make sure to have Boromir, the general who get blackvale archers, and a few cav generals for running downing routed troops, and smashing into the back of enemy infantry once the battle lines are fully established. I tend to keep all cav hidden in a forest away from my foot troops, until i can deal with the most part of harads cav.

For the Pelgir chokepoint, being attacked here, will stop you sending reinforcements/retraining troops to send toward the barad harn, so i understand this being a pain in the arse. To get a better picture, i would really need to see what you have got to work with.

If your economy is stagnating this may be the time to jack up your taxes for a short while if you can make a long term gain, such as pumping out more troops, countering the attack spam, and securing both chokepoints, but you need to send a force to retake the settlement from mordor before they change the culture to much, then let it go rebel again, have the queues pumping out troops close to the front line, and be ready to smash them on the haradrin forces to blunt there attack.

But i can really help you alot more, give you an honest analysis if the campaign is recoverable, and i will try! as i like a challenge, if it helps i can also upload a saved game around whatver turn you are on? from my version of events?

Sorry for the late reply!

Lionheart_19's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by AgentGB View Post
    hmmmm Mordor must be expanding north? tbh, if mordor as the upperhand in Ithilien it will continue to push you, so seems a bit werid they have stopped, it may be as you suggested, that mordor controls a region in south Ithilien, so as completed its priority in holding certain settlement but they will obviously be back,

Could you load up your saved game so i can have a look please? and ill try to tailor a plan for the situation

One of the choke points for harad ive listed on the map will surely having you fight 1 stack 80% of the time, even when attacked by 3 stacks, the in game map, doesn't allow the reinforcements to join the main army unless they postion themselves correctly, which the ai may take a number of turns doing, and even then mabey only allowing for 2/3 stacks to attack. So the land bridge choke point at Linhir to barad ham is secure. Just make sure to have Boromir, the general who get blackvale archers, and a few cav generals for running downing routed troops, and smashing into the back of enemy infantry once the battle lines are fully established. I tend to keep all cav hidden in a forest away from my foot troops, until i can deal with the most part of harads cav.

For the Pelgir chokepoint, being attacked here, will stop you sending reinforcements/retraining troops to send toward the barad harn, so i understand this being a pain in the arse. To get a better picture, i would really need to see what you have got to work with.

If your economy is stagnating this may be the time to jack up your taxes for a short while if you can make a long term gain, such as pumping out more troops, countering the attack spam, and securing both chokepoints, but you need to send a force to retake the settlement from mordor before they change the culture to much, then let it go rebel again, have the queues pumping out troops close to the front line, and be ready to smash them on the haradrin forces to blunt there attack.

But i can really help you alot more, give you an honest analysis if the campaign is recoverable, and i will try! as i like a challenge, if it helps i can also upload a saved game around whatver turn you are on? from my version of events?

Sorry for the late reply!
    Sorry but I deleted it, i was so getting hammered that i just quit and started a new one.

I found out on my new save that by putting a ship on the pelargir cross it blocks it and harad can't cross it. And Mordor this time is much more agressive, just launched an invasion on Minas Tirith. I've since realized that playing as Gondor is mostly being able to defeat many troops with little troops, wich means i sometimes got so surrounded that i had to use auto_win 2 or 3 times but i managed to get the economy up and i'm starting to invade Harad.

I'll probably try another campaign later on and try not to use auto_win after i get more experienced playing on this one.

For the army defending the Linhir choke point do you go only generals or you get some gondor militia and militia archers, and if so, how many units?

Qba's Avatar Biarchus

@AgentGB - you have written where to send Boromir, Faramir and Imrahil, but what about Denethor? How can I make use of his special ability? As for me, Faramir is a better governor than his father, so most often I send him to Minas Tirith.
    Vae Victis!

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Qba View Post
    @AgentGB - you have written where to send Boromir, Faramir and Imrahil, but what about Denethor? How can I make use of his special ability? As for me, Faramir is a better governor than his father, so most often I send him to Minas Tirith.

Hey

Sorry for the late reply,

I did mention Denethor, but not in great detail, and not in the right section of the guide, but its best to use him to secure the 2 nearest rebel settlements near minas tirith, pushing through to secure Henneth Annun then finally using him to hold the river choke point into northern ithilien, at the same time, allowing your stack with boromir. and faramir to make the big push on minas morgul

Thankyou for this guide. I've pushed mordor back but bankrupted myself with harad. Had to reshuffle a few of my troops to get back in the green. How do you go about govenors? Do you just get 2-3 generals from backwater towns and set them up with income enhancing traits? Or are all your generals sent to the front?

Quote Originally Posted by X_maniac_X View Post
    Thankyou for this guide. I've pushed mordor back but bankrupted myself with harad. Had to reshuffle a few of my troops to get back in the green. How do you go about govenors? Do you just get 2-3 generals from backwater towns and set them up with income enhancing traits? Or are all your generals sent to the front?
    Personally I think you should at the very least keep generals at Minis Tirith and Dol Amroth and have them develop good governor traits.
    "Der Krieg ist eine bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln.
    (War is merely the continuation of politics by other means.)

Quote Originally Posted by gamervn View Post

Look at the "corruption & others" .... 987 / 9517... 1/10 ratio and exp. of corruption is more than your profit(9517 > 8537)... This game gonna kill me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast