Page 51 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2641424344454647484950515253545556575859606176 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1633

Thread: Suggestions

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Suggestions

Deleted a few more posts. Guys stick to what StealthFox said please. This is for suggestions only. If there are a bunch of posts discussing what the biggest forrest in Middle Earth is, then this is by far beyond discussing a suggestion for example

You should do such stuff in the Tolkien thread then.

Halvar von Flake's Avatar Senator

S1: Make Greenway Guard Sentries recruitable at Merchant Militia level for Eriador...otherwise this beautiful unit won't appear on battlefield until you reforge Arnor...or what about adding a tougher spear sergeant unit for Eriador on second level looking similar to the mounted greenway guards but with low quality equipment and rugged outlook..only a few helmets etc...!

S2: Isenguard needs gates that close behind troops sallying...!

Zectorman's Avatar Primicerius

Angmar,
    Maybe their should be an event Bringing the Witch King back to OOG and it reforms Angmar? Kind of like Aragon returning to Gondor? Please bring back Angmar from the foul darkness to unleash the Rhudaur and Black Numenoreans!

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

What Black Númenórans? If you scroll up a bit you will see more on Angmar and the likely composition of forces.

Quote Originally Posted by Zectorman View Post
    Angmar,
    Maybe their should be an event Bringing the Witch King back to OOG and it reforms Angmar? Kind of like Aragon returning to Gondor? Please bring back Angmar from the foul darkness to unleash the Rhudaur and Black Numenoreans!
    Slightly extending on this, I think the Angmar faction, if it was ever to be including, should be a horde like the Mongol horde in vanilla M2TW.

Rhaenys Targaryen's Avatar Campidoctor

If that were to be added into the mod I think it should only be possible if Mordor defeats Gondor, since I'm pretty sure the Witch King is a big help in battling Gondor.

One minor thing I think would be pretty cool is having the Dunland units available to Northmen cultures when they conquer Dunland. For example, I'm playing a campagin as Eriador and I conquered Byrig and Duneard from Isengard (kind of doing a hammer n anvil thing with Rohan), and taking those regions were great, but part of me didn't want to because then the Dunland units would be gone from the game. Not that they're stud units or anything, but I like them because they fill that barbarian theme which is cool. I'm not super lore-savvy or anything, but from my understanding the people of Dunland weren't technically evil (barbaric though) they just hated Rohan. It's not too much a stretch to say if Rohan or Eriador conquered Dunland they would enlist Dunnish units. Obviously it wouldn't make sense to allow anybody else (aside from Dale if for some reason they made it out to that part of the map) to be able to recruit those units. I proabably wouldn't carry them over after a conversion to Arnor either. Just a cool thing I'd like to see. I realize this could be something that possibly I could mod on my own, so if its very simple (as my modding ability is essentially zero lol) and wouldn't affect any save games or anything I'd be more than happy to give it a try!

MrCrapsley's Avatar Tiro

I have no idea how easy this would be and I'm sure that it would already have been done if it wasn't really hard but the other day I was playing a High Elf campaign for the first time and had my first experience defending Imladris. I found that deployment was very tricky, with only very limited places to deploy units. I am constantly using the "right-click and drag" method to not only deploy but also move troops and, again, the scope for using this was very limited. This, combined with the lack of fortification, made Imladris very difficult to defend. As it happened, my AI opponents squandered all their troops by attacking one by one (not sure if this is a result of the aforementioned issues), allowing my vastly inferior force to win the day. Would it be possible to create a settlement which is invisible to the enemy unless a spy is particularly near it? Perhaps a script could be written which stopped the AI attacking a particular settlement unless they had a certain amount of information on it. This would reflect the lore of Imladris being a refuge that dark forces are unable to reach. This feature would also be well used on Henneth Annun, which was so secret that even Frodo and Sam didn't learn its location. On the matter of Henneth Annun () I think it should be able to train a large(ish) pool of Ithilien Rangers right from the off to reflect it being a reinforcement and gathering point for them and that the whole of Ithilien should be in Gondorian hands from the start. (I haven't played as Gondor since 3.2 was released so forgive me if this is already the case). If both parts of Ithilien had hidden strongholds that could only recruit Ithilien Rangers and had next to no population and very limited building options this would work well as Rangers were pretty much the only military presence in Ithilien (for Gondor), the region was very unpopulated but it was equally unpopulated by Mordor and they certainly weren't drawing troops/income from it (which is what holding the settlement allows them to do). Perhaps if the whole of Osgiliath and Ithilien was held by Gondor at the start but with weak (hidden in Ithilien's case) garrisons then Mordor would have to bypass Ithilien's strongholds (being harrassed by rangers as they did) and attack Osgiliath directly (as they did in the books). Once Osgiliath was rebuilt Ithilien could be repopulated and rebuilt too. Is it possible that a custom building in the Ithilien strongholds could make it so the AI didn't attack the settlements and Rangers could train there but no buildings could be built and there was no population growth? If so, this building could be destroyed by Osgiliath being rebuilt or, if that's not possible, the decision could rest with the player. Sorry for the long post and the wild ideas but I had to put them out there. And great work on the mod, I worship you guys.

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Deleted several posts again.
    Macilrille is right, this is not for long off-topic discussion but for serious suggestions to better the game.

Please stick to that !

Is it possible to find a way that you can give forts to other players? Or is this hardcoded in the MTW2-engine?

I took my High Elves into Harad and grabbed some forts there, now I retreated and want to give these to Gondor, because they cannot take them as my ally. Would be preferable to be able to give them to Gondor instead of having to wait for Harad to walk in.

EDIT: might is also be possible to edit the 'book' building and add the information for which cities have Garrison script? Might just add a hint like 'nation-loving population' or 'well garrisoned' or I don't know how, not necessarily something to break immersion. I just feel it might be nicer to have a forewarning of extra troops without having to alt+tab and google for the list of Garrisoned cities.
    Last edited by Oneru; July 05, 2012 at 02:58 AM.

The cavalry does not run fast. Maybe you can make them faster.

make Dale better please... The evil factions already have 10000000000 more advantages compared to the good factions. Dales BEST infantry cant even beat a normal mordor unit, because the size is so much bigger and they are OP in general. If you wont boost the attack/defence or economics of Dale and atleast tweak the Evil factions. Make them less OP. With OOTMM and OOG I can earn 100 000 within turn 40 and with Dale I only have about 10 000. That means the orcs can pump out soldiers without having to be bothered by price. This goes for OOG and OOTMM generally. Rhuns generals can also travel much further than that of Dales in addition to them being a bigger kingdom with more money and more men. The Evil factions can also call crusades which the good factions cant(why cant they?Armies have been gathered before?)

Rhaenys Targaryen's Avatar Campidoctor

I'm currently playing as Rhun on H/H and Dale aren't that easy, also evil factions are not over powered, did you ever play as Mordor? Fighting Gondor is extremely hard without sub-mods or changing any scripts, the only thing that makes it easy is when Harad attack their southern shores.

PS: The assassins for Rhun and Harad say some Arabic words in their dialogue, unlike the other characters which have the words cut out.
    Last edited by Rhaenys Targaryen; July 09, 2012 at 04:41 AM.

When I played as Mordor I crushed Gondor within 15 turns. Not hard at all and I was playing on H/H and Harad didnt even help. In hotseats, Harad WILL ofcourse help and Gondor will fall even faster. Dale must be improved IMO.

Yes Gondor is a difficult faction, but I like it that way. Maybe we should open a thread about balance in general.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...php?p=11696646
    Last edited by Wizad; July 09, 2012 at 11:28 AM.

concerning bad traits for the steward after Aragorn joins Gondor:

I recently played Gondor again and I surely accepted Aragorns offer.
    soon afterwards my steward Denethor gained bad traits like "undermined authority" etc.
    I know it's intended, the principle itself is good, Denethor felt undermined by a mere "ranger of the north".
    untill this:

but in my campaign Aragorn died in battle and soon after, Denethor died as well.
    succeeding Denethor now Boromir becomes steward, but he gains bad traits as well. the "undermined authority" for example. even if Aragron isn't lurkin around gondor anymore.
    the same happens with Faramir succeeding Boromir after his death (again in Battle - I've to watch my Generals better, I suppose).
    again bad traits.

so my suggestion:

1st
    make the bad traits for the steward linked to an alive Aragorn.

or

2nd
    make the bad traits linked only to Denethor.

first suggestion may be self-explanatory but for the second, let me explain:
    in the books it is only Denethor who faces Aragorn with animosity.
    Boromir is reserved as well, but just at the beginning of the fellowship (at elronds council). he gains a kind of friednship with Aragorn fast and in the end he acknowledges Aragorn as his king. Yes, perhaps only as he dies and one does not know how he would have reacted, if he had lived further.
    but it goes absolutely for Faramir - who serves under King Aragorn after the destruction of Saurons ring.
    so (for me) it would be cool if you could "fix" that

DWARWEN BATTLE HAMMER UNITS EXCELLENT SHOCK TROOP!!!
    DWARENS RIDER??

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Cross-post from normal Forum:

I suggest more realistic weather and marching speeds.

Those two things really bug me. So I will present an argument why they are wrong.

The Weather:

I just fought a battle in Harandor- IN A BLIZZARD! And it is not the first time this happens at all. In fact every winter sees a nice carpet of snow cover everything in M-E except for the deepest south.

This is not true to Lore, and it is also annoying, hence there is no argument for keeping it.

Let us have a look at what Tolkien actually tells us about his weather.
    Except on the high moors of Northfarthing a heavy fall was rare in the Shire, and was regarded as a pleasant event and a chance for fun.
    (Tolkien, J. R. R., 1991, p. 305)

[...] we are still far down , where the paths are usually open all winter.
    (Ibid, p. 306)

It is also notable that the Fellowship encounters no snow at all except trying to cross the Redhorn Pass in the depths of winter (12th of January). And that only the trip south from Imladris to Khazad-Dûm is said to be cold. The most comparable thing I can think off would be the Alps, they are definately snowcovered in winter- even in the passes, but their foothills are usually not, even though sometimes- like last winter even south of them get snow. So did Rohan in the two notably cold winters.

Now let us look at them.
    Soon afterwards the Long Winter began, and Rohan lay under snows for nearly five months (November to March, 2758-9). Both the Rohirrim and their foes suffered grevously in the cold, and in the dearth that lasted longer.
    (Ibid, p. 1103)
    The Fell Winter is not described in the south, but in the north the Baranduin freezes over and wolves invade the Shire.

Another notable feature is the way armies are able to march around and fight battles from early March 3019. This means that the ground is dry, not soaked with meltwater or rain (so less rain in TATW would also be appropriate- the only time we are told it rains is when the sky weeps and cleanses at the Pellenór Fields). Hence we are talking a mild climate or southern location.

In any case, those snow-covered Harad deserts should not be there. In fact any snow south of Rohan should melt very fast as a rule. Not that it does not snow in the Anatolian Highlands or the mountains of Lebanon, but they are highlands-mountains and there are no equivalent really in Harad.

Karen Wynn Fonstad in her "Atlas of Middle-Earth very much agree with me. I refer to the chapter on climate on p. 182ff.

Hence, I would like the awful weather of TATW to be changed. Gondor-Harad are not located in N. Germany- Denmark, and Rohan- Dunland- Eriador not on the Scandinavian peninsula or deep in the Russian plains.

------------------------------------------

Now, I mentioned armies marching, so let us look a bit at what we know of the speed of marching armies.

Isuldur's journey north:
    Osgiliath - Imladris (308 Leagues/1487 Km), expected 40 days = 37 Km/day
    Dayly marching distance for Dúnedain given as 8 Leagues with ease, 12 Leagues at haste and in great need more. That is 38.6 Km/day at ease, 58 Km at haste. Quite far, but not impossible. The Foreign Legion covered 50- 60 Km/day in its Algerian campaigns in the 19th century over hot desert and mountains. The Romans 20- 35 Km/day depending on terrain, and they built those famous fortified camps every evening and took them down again every morning. Thus the Romans would have used 60 days to get from Osgiliath to Imladris. Compare this to years of marching in TATW...

The ride of Eorl ("I will come, if the Mundburg falls, whither shall we flee from the Darkness?"):
    Framsburg - Undeeps, 500 miles as the bird flies, 9 days.

LoTR:
    Isengard - Helm's Deep, 56 miles, 2 days for the Isengarders.
    Edoras - Helm's Deep, 96 miles, one day.
    Helm's Deep - Dunharrow, 4 days at 40 miles/day, two at 20-ish.
    Dunharrow - Minas Tirith, 80 miles/day to Eilenach, 50-ish through the Drúadan Forest, then 24 before dawn breaks and they charge onto the Pellenor Fields.
    Minas Morgul - Minas Tirith, 7 days, 15-25 miles/day.
    Minas Tirith - Morannon, 7 days

There and back again:
    Gundabad - Erebor, appr 400 miles, 21 days for the Goblins.

Compare this to the Roman Army that marched 20-35 Km/day as a standard depending on terrain (5 hour march), then built a fortified camp.

“War Horse”, by Louis A. DiMarco gives standard marching distances in the latter half of the 19th century US Cavalry to 25 miles/day 6 days/week, 600 miles/month.
    RomanArmyTalk has an interesting thread about the subject, pointing out that cavalry can match infantry, but only with the infantry providing fodder for the horses...

Obviously Tolkien's cavalry armies marched further than historical ones (but Tolkien was a soldier and he would have been aware of "flying columns" marching further, the French Foreign Legion doing 50- 60 Km/day over atrocious Algerian mountains in very hot conditions-Marche ou crève- the Algerians would torture stragglers to death, etc.), and there is the supernatural element on top of that.

Anyway, I am not necessarily asking for the magic marching speed of Middle-Earth, but merely historical ones would be nice, and the armies of Arnor and Gondor should match the speed given in UT. I know I can change it myself, but the game should fit Lore and history.

Edit, The possible argument against my suggestion about the marching distances is that it will make it possible to strike deep into enemy territory fast. This again will require larger garissions or a fortified border where you hold all possible inroads with a garission. For some factions that can be difficult.

But then again, your own relief army would be able to strike as quickly to help. It will however, make it possible to strike deep into enemy territory and use trebuchets, etc to take a city on the same turn, with no relief possible. Hence Siege Engines should not have their marching speed upped, reflecting the fact that such were in fact built in place.
    Last edited by Macilrille; July 10, 2012 at 04:50 AM.

I've completely forgotten the name of it now... but the forest town just north west of Minas Tirith (in the books the native people their help the Rohirrim avoid the army blocking the road to Minas Tirith) should be able to receive Autonomy as in the books the lands were given to them by King Elessar.

Bob Doad's Avatar Primicerius

I have a suggestion for two units
    1. a militia gondor spear unit
    2. an orc unit from morgul
    O and i nom nom nom on rep so yea...click the button...im waiting
    Promoter of:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: