Page 5 of 82 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Default Re: Suggestions

Greetings

First my thanks to the modding team for version 3.0 and 3.1. I really enjoy it

For upcoming versions I have some suggestions:
    The given resources on the map should be more relevant for the game. For example: As Moria is famous for its Mithril mines, it should be able build a special armoury and to equip units with mithril amour. Emagine a normal unit of Bree milita with mithril amor could then have a better defense value than a normal Uruk-hai orthanc guard with no additional armor. Of course it should be quite expensive to upgrade a unit with mithril armor.

The AI in battle should be improved. When enemy units are fired upon with archers, they often don't do anything. In best case they attack. Would it be possible to programm them so that they take some kind of defensive formation? They could at least raise their shields if they have any. In general I would appreciate it, if formations like the roman tortoise, the shieldwall or something similar would also be used by the computer enemy.

To speak of archers. As I am myself a passionate archer, I use this units a lot and especially with elven archers one can destroy whole armies without loosing even one man or elve. But realistically an arrow shot at a large distance does not have the same impact than an arrow shot at only 30 or 50 meters. Would it be possible to differentiate the damge model of archers according to distance?

Best greetings

deadman213's Avatar Laetus
    Currently rotting in the void with my, ah, master

OOG infantry shud b stronger, they literally get crushed by ANYTHING... I was able to blitz thru OOG+defend with a very beleaguered garrison(eriador) vs over a 1000 orcs coz the infantry was so weak.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by deadman213 View Post
    OOG infantry shud b stronger, they literally get crushed by ANYTHING... I was able to blitz thru OOG+defend with a very beleaguered garrison(eriador) vs over a 1000 orcs coz the infantry was so weak.
    Orc infantry is supposed to be weak, that's why they have so many. Also, 1000 is just 4 units so that isn't that much

jinjo's Avatar Senator

i love playing as elves, especially silvan elves, but it's very depressing u can hire every type of archers in 2 turns.
    i know in this case we have more challenges, but i think it's better the first archers to have 1 turn recruiting period and others 2 turns

Indefinitely Banned

Another suggestion to solve population growth for settlements

Bring in a settler unit that can be built by the player, sent and disbanded at a target settlement to increase population

somthing mentioned in another thread by me regarding the reasoning for such a unit

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    this seems to be problem, some people like me want the mod to be very hard on very hard settings, some people want a casual game on vh settings with extra buffs for the player and nerfs for the ai, and some people want it kept close to lore. IMO the slow development of settlements and expansion simulates the ongoing struggle and dispute for the same regions. Ive always had the impression that good guys are meant to be stretched thin, relying on good leadership to win the day. Also i always keep a general rule of thumb that if you take an enemy settlement of importance, they will be given buffs to help them.

A mod like RS2 is balanced for h/h which is meant to be harder then vh/vh settings, and house rules for this mod have to be followed in order to keep the benchmark of hardness up, but its beautifully done to give a feeling of amassing legions to stop an invasion. Ive always fount it hard to remain sporting with the ai, and that why i like TATW for its struggling ongoing war, since the ai and its buff don't don't care for how sporting you are and requires the player to use everything they can, ive been playing 3.1 and it seems a heck of alot easer....

Also im no lore expert, but when you think of middle earth in comparison to earth, military and technology wise, they haven't really advanced much throughout there timeline, being locked in a medieval state of period, humans from earth would having been using tiger tanks and automatic rifles by the same period. To have a city fully developed in 30 years, which is 130 turns, is asking to much, as the current development in cities seem balanced. londis (london) started as a roman settlement frontier, the romans were extremely good builders, but there building project would last for years and not seasons. If you ask for city development to be currently quicker then it is, your have settlements growing at a unrealistic rate.

Unless they bring in somthing that allow you to build settlers and send them to another settlement to boost population, there isn't housing boom in middle earth, like looking at housing prices at Osgiliath. it doesn't seem the right soloution is to start tweaking the speed of growth of settlements.

Use the same solution in the rome version fourth age
    Bring in a settler unit that can be disbanded in a target region to boost numbers in another settlement, at a price of reducing population at which the settlers are built, and obvious cost for recruiting. This seem more accurate to me for the period too
    Last edited by AgentGB; December 24, 2011 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    When the Dwarves have a general near Dale, they are able to hire quite often some mercenaries of light armoured Dale Bowmen and light armoured chainmail Dale Swordsmen, not as strong as Dwarven units but are faster moving than Dwarves, good at catching and killing Snaga Skirmishers.
    Or perhaps none of the Dale mercenaries for Dwarves I suggested. Instead some kind of faster than normal Dwarven units like lightly armoured Dwarven Scouts (With no armour piercing) you can get in the first level barracks (slightly weaker than even miners.) armed with short swords for catching and killing Snaga Skirmishers. Also very good for ambushing. And a later and more expensive not very numerous Elite Dwarven Scouts (Maybe a better name, slightly better than Dwarven Warriors) armed with long swords (With armour piercing) and steel shields and light chainmail armour.

The Dwarven Scout units be good for Dwarves far away from Dale where they can get Dale Horsemen mercenaries.
    Last edited by Rush; December 24, 2011 at 10:50 AM.

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

There is no such feature for m2tw. That's an exclusive rtw feature.

The best thing for population growth is to re-establish the bonus given by high chivalry generals and establish something similar for evil factions.
    Last edited by Louis Lux; December 24, 2011 at 10:17 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Lux View Post
    There is no such feature for m2tw. That's an exclusive rtw feature.

The best thing for population growth is to re-establish the bonus given by high chivalry generals and establish something similar for evil factions.
    ah ok, i didn't no that, just presumed ... sorry

1 a reunited kigdom script if you are the reunited kingdom you should be able recruit anor unit and gondors to
    2 more realistic diplomatic relations according to lore like silvan eves allied with dale and trade with dwarves
    3 and more realistic starting positions like ithilen is gondors and the shire is arnors and ect
    there are more but they have been listed

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    Or perhaps none of the Dale mercenaries for Dwarves I suggested. Instead some kind of faster than normal Dwarven units like lightly armoured Dwarven Scouts (With no armour piercing) you can get in the first level barracks (slightly weaker than even miners.) armed with short swords for catching and killing Snaga Skirmishers. Also very good for ambushing. And a later and more expensive not very numerous Elite Dwarven Scouts (Maybe a better name, slightly better than Dwarven Warriors) armed with long swords (With armour piercing) and steel shields and light chainmail armour.

The Dwarven Scout units be good for Dwarves far away from Dale where they can get Dale Horsemen mercenaries.

Also perhaps lightly armoured Dwarven Bowmen (armed with short bows, and also daggers for melee combat), fast moving and have a little bit more ammo than Crossmen, but lack armour piercing, and are also not as strong as Crossbowmen in melee combat.
    Last edited by Rush; December 24, 2011 at 11:39 AM.

vonckenLOTR's Avatar Civis

Icon1 Re: Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Isildor View Post
    First I want to thank you for Third Age 3.0 it's really wonderfull . Here are some suggestions:

4.) More Titles:

More cities should have a unique heraldic or feudal titles like "Lord of Pelagir", "Lord of Dol Amroth", "Major of Bree", "Duke of Helm's Deep", ...
    Especially feudal factions like Gondor, Rohan or Eriador should be able to get such titles to show their government system and to make more rollplay possible.

5.) Bloodline traits:

It's possible that family members hand down traits to their sons. All family members and important generals at the beginning should have a bloodline trait like "House of Stewards", "House of Elrond", "House of Bard", ... while addopted generals should get a trait "bastard". Furthermore elves should have additional bloodline traits like "Sindar", "Noldor", "Quendi", ... the Dwarves additional bloodline traits like Longbeard, Firebeard, Broadbeam, ... and men "Edain", "Dunedain", "Northmen",...
    i already proposed this. i got the idea from DHRR(Das Heilige Romische Reich)

for the bloodline traits: not every general should be bastard. but the king and heir will spawn bastards from time to time because they have no women or because they like......it...........

I have been playing Third Age with High Elves past days and I got an idea. I have noticed that "fire arrows ability" look like "light" arrows

Eldarinwe Archers units should have special ability "Eldar Arrows" or "Arrows of the Eldar" which would look like the same as fire arrows. I don't know do fire arrows give some bonus, but this would be quite nice.

High Elves should be stronger and have less units. I think that Thranduil's Halls should have one Silvan Heavy Spearmen and Silvan Heavy Archers in garrison at beginning of game. Minas Tirith should have one Fountain Guard unit. I would recommend Dwarven settelments, but I think even without my suggestion, it will be made somewhere in the future.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Minas Tirith has one Fountain Guard unit
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

I humbly propose the following;

HIGH ELVES
    1. New unit CIRDAN's MARINERS/ MITHLOND MARINES
    - they are Teleri warriors under Cirdan's command that guards the port and coastal regions of the Elven realms. IMHO they should be armed with javelins as their primary weapon and sword or single handed axe as secondary weapons. No shields as they are marines and they need to be able to swim just in case.

- they can be barrack tier 2 AoR units from Mithlond and or other coastal regions the HE occupies. Elves are well known sailors and IMHO this unit would represent that part of elven culture in the HE unit rooster.

- If memory serves me right they are also mentioned in The Return of the King Appendices. When Arvedui, not sure who is it exactly, the one who escapes to Forchel? region and later on been rescued by Cirdan's ship. He didn't follow the advice of the men of Forchel to not to sail during winter as it is the time the power of the Witchking is Greatest. As a result their ship was wreck by icebergs and lost all the Palantiri of the northern kingdoms.

GONDOR
    According to Brandy Barrel's unit guide version 3.0 Gondor cavalry has no shield. IMHO they should have shields since the Gondor cavalry militia has shields as well. How can a more inferior unit have better equipment than a more superior high tier unit?

ROHAN
    1. New unit PEASANTS/EORLINGAS
    -cheap very very early infantry armed only with pitchforks or any other crude farming tool. With very very little to no armor.

- now some might argue that we already have the Eorling militia for that role. Here is my reason why I strongly believe that Rohan should have this unit. There is a difference between the 2, militias are conscripts while peasants represents the simple common folk who voluntarily decided to take up arms, band together to defend their homes.

- by adding this unit to the Rohan unit rooster they will represent the kind of culture the Eorlingas live. Rohan is a wide land that at times maintaining peace and order is a bit challenging. Authorities or help may be hours or even days away. The land and circumstances turn the men of Rohan hardy and are always ready to defend their homes by them selves. This will also represent the kind of spirit the Eorlingas have, that they are willing to fight down to the last man, if needed be.

DWARVES
    Khazad-dun Guards and Ered Dragon slayers should have the ability to scare enemies IMHO. As they wear war mask. I think in lore dwarves are said to wear such war mask that scare enemies. Also I think Turin in The Children of Hurin book also was said to posses such mask. But I m not 100%sure.

1. New Unit ERED LUIN SHIELD BREAKERS
    -armed with 2 handed warhammer, no shield, armor piercing, anti cavalry 8 unit.

-AoR unit from the western blue mountain dwarven kingdoms. Looking at the dwarven unit rooster there is no unit that hold any warhammers, next all the cool AoR units are from the eastern regions of ME. Eredmithrim, Erebor and Moria. Me thinks Ered Luin dwarves needs some luv too

-they can also be given the spacial ability War chant that inspires nearby troops. To the Dev team please check out the Americas campaign, the Aztec and mayan priests units.

-according to Brandy barrels unit guide again axethrowers have no shields, IMHO they should have shields too.

Quote Originally Posted by dfool06 View Post
    When Arvedui, not sure who is it exactly, the one who escapes to Forchel? region and later on been rescued by Cirdan's ship. He didn't follow the advice of the men of Forchel to not to sail during winter as it is the time the power of the Witchking is Greatest. As a result their ship was wreck by icebergs and lost all the Palantiri of the northern kingdoms
    DWARVES
    Khazad-dum Guards and Ered Dragon slayers should have the ability to scare enemies IMHO. As they wear war mask. I think in lore dwarves are said to wear such war mask that scare enemies. Also I think Turin in The Children of Hurin book also was said to posses such mask. But I m not 100%sure.

1. New Unit ERED LUIN SHIELD BREAKERS
    -armed with 2 handed warhammer, no shield, armor piercing, anti cavalry 8 unit.

-AoR unit from the western blue mountain dwarven kingdoms. Looking at the dwarven unit rooster there is no unit that hold any warhammers, next all the cool AoR units are from the eastern regions of ME. Eredmithrim, Erebor and Moria. Me thinks Ered Luin dwarves needs some luv too

-they can also be given the spacial ability War chant that inspires nearby troops. To the Dev team please check out the Americas campaign, the Aztec and mayan priests units.

-according to Brandy barrels unit guide again axethrowers have no shields, IMHO they should have shields too.
    Arvedui was the last king of Arnor, Kingdom of Northern Dúnedain. After Witch-King took over Fornost, Arvedui fled with his most trusted kinsman to Forochel, taking two palantiri with him. Cirdan sent a ship to save him, but Arvedui did not listen to Lossoth Chieftain. Lossoth said that he must not go on "sea monster" because Witch-King's power is greatest in winter. Unfortunately, the ship sank taking palantiri and Arvedui with it.

Yes, Turin had such mask. Your suggestion about war masks is very good.

I'd like to suggest making the Dorwinion retainers unit recruitable in Dorwinion, only if Dale conquers this region.

Odenat
    Maybe women are completely different when we’re not with them. Maybe they’re not cross all the time.

KnightsTemplar's Avatar Campidoctor

Turin's mask is actually the Helm of Dor-lomin, the Dragonhelm and the Helm of Hador.
    Crafted by the Dwarves with Glaurung on it, it also came with a mask.
    Aside from scaring people it also double as dragonflame-proof shield.
    Aure entuluva!

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

I still wouldnt want to be hit by dragonflame, even if my mask is dragonflame-proof

1. Make Rohan swords look like steel, they look like wood or plastic. That's what annoys me the most about Rohan.

2. After capturing an evil settlement like Isengard, would it be possible that it becomes "good" again after let say 10-20 turns controlling it or building a specific building that would take a couple turns so that it gets grass again, a blue sky, etc.

I wrote this as a small point in my contribution a page ago, but I want to explicate it a bit more:
    THE MERCENARY-SYSTEM:

for the bad factions it isn't bad at all... they have a big variety of recruitable mercenary-units located all over the map, at least for "bad" starting-regions and surrounding. that's quite logic.
    reaching from orcs, over hillmen and dunelendings to khand-mercenaries.

but the good factions have an absolutely unlogical lack of good mercenaries.
    it is well to have three different types of rhovannion-mercenaries available. and to show the connection between dvarves and the men of the lake, there are dale-riders for dwarves.
    but in the rest of middle-earth you get the same crappy bandits all the time from arnor in the north, till gondor in the south.
    why not diversify? there could be special erriador-, hobbit- (verry rare), dwarven- (verry rare), elven- (verry rare), rohan- and gondor-mercenaries.
    and if not that diversified, at least those units that are there now, the rebel units! (like the "freemen", "heavy axemen", "dorwinion retainers", "hunters", etc.)

EDIT: excluded those regions, where nobody lives atm - ithilien perhaps
    Last edited by mondpeiler; December 25, 2011 at 07:08 AM.