Page 46 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2136373839404142434445464748495051525354555671 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Suggestions

If you prefer dross to poetry, sure. PJ and FW always- always went for the lowest common denominator.

but that is not a debate for this forum. Edit *Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Harry View Post
    But the problem with the books is that Tolkien goes by the philosophy that 50 words are immeasurably better than 5, so the speeches, along with everything else in the books, take a very long time to finish or get anywhere.

When I see people write things like this it makes me sad

What is wrong with folk these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Poosticks7 View Post
    When I see people write things like this it makes me sad

What is wrong with folk these days?
    How is this in any way wrong? I don't want to read pages of pointless and unnecessary dialogue on a fictional work, to me it is just boring and a waste of my time.

The problem with people these days is their choice of music before anything else.

How is this in any way wrong? I don't want to read pages of pointless and unnecessary dialogue on a fictional work, to me it is just boring and a waste of my time.

The problem with people these days is their choice of music before anything else.

You obviously prefer dross over poetry. Basically you want to cut away the core of Tolkien's work, the parts of it designed to make you feel Middle-Earth, to touch your emotions. What you want is the average AD&D Novel, below even Salvatore; you want LoTR at 100 pages, Niebelungenring in 10 minutes, Beethoven's total work in a 3.34 minute radio edit, Platon's, Nietsche's and Kierkegaard's thoughts in a pamphlet...

You certainly do not like what he himself considered most important and the core of his work. But you may be young yet, and young people want action- not subtlety.

I hope that in time and with maturity you may learn to appreciate the actual beauty of Tolkien's work instead of some Hollywood action flick.

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post

You obviously prefer dross over poetry. Basically you want to cut away the core of Tolkien's work, the parts of it designed to make you feel Middle-Earth, to touch your emotions. What you want is the average AD&D Novel, below even Salvatore; you want LoTR at 100 pages, Niebelungenring in 10 minutes, Beethoven's total work in a 3.34 minute radio edit, Platon's, Nietsche's and Kierkegaard's thoughts in a pamphlet...

You certainly do not like what he himself considered most important and the core of his work. But you may be young yet, and young people want action- not subtlety.

I hope that in time and with maturity you may learn to appreciate the actual beauty of Tolkien's work instead of some Hollywood action flick.
    You're making a lot of assumptions there and you know nothing of what I like, and most of that rubbish you just spouted makes it sound like you consider yourself superior and vastly more intelligent.

I said I dislike how wordy LOTR is. In my opinion, and also in the opinion of coutless others, of all age groups, it is. I've seen all over this forum the fanatic devotion you give these works of fiction, and although I respect that that is your opinion and your time you are using, I don't like it when you look down on me because of opinion on a book. Because that's all it is when it comes down to it, it's just a series of books. Sure great things have come out of it like this mod, but that doesn't give you the right to sneer down on people who don't share your devotion.

We shouldn't really be talking about this in the suggestions thread.

Holy Harry, of course you are right that everyone has a right to an opinion, but yours makes me sad.

I would be interested if you could take a passage of Tolkien's that you find 'wordy' and edit it more towards your taste. (This is open to anyone else who shares your opinion).

Of course this should be in a new thread.

I'm only saying this because I always scratch my head when folk say that Tolkien is wordy, I've read books that are far more wordy than Tolkien and I genuinly would like to see what people consider to be wordy about the Profs work.

If you don't care to try that’s fair enough, but we should probably stop derailing the suggestions thread.

So I'll make a suggestion: Put more orcs in .
    Last edited by Poosticks7; May 25, 2012 at 09:23 AM.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Keep this thread for Suggestions only!

Dear KK, with humble respect and admiration for all you have done from and with Tolkien`s world, I would like to suggest to put in Leo`s reworked Rivendell for us High Elves, it `s expanded territory gives us a chance to tease Dwarves while they pass near our mountains, and stay out of range of their mockery with our POINTY ears. And more room for sharing CULTURE with our enemies. Thank U.

Edit: playing on huge unit size settings like in submod MOS, enemy general got deployed in a river:

U pointed out that custom setlements have a deployment issue cause of game limits,but perhapse u can expand that road a little.
    Last edited by ElvenKind; May 25, 2012 at 02:42 PM.

Oooooohhhh... SF, please- please- PLEASE, may I reply to that pointy ear claim?

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Feel free to send him a VM or PM. I don't think we need to refute every suggestion that comes in here or point out their inconsistencies with lore.

Edit: If you wanted to suggest that elf unit models not have pointy ears you could post that, but those models aren't likely to be changed for a number of reasons.
    Last edited by StealthFox; May 25, 2012 at 01:32 PM.

Since we are on the topic of Rivendell I will post my suggestion.
    The models of Rivendell that KK made are beautiful but one thing that struck me was they seemed small. It just doesn't feel like a large settlement that would house many elves.
    I looked through a few pictures of Rivendell and I think that the models could probably be roughly twice as big.

This is a picture of how big a soldier is in comparison (red guy). To what I would like to suggest (green guy).
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Now this isn't just visual. If you make the model bigger you could have more room in the "courtyard" of Rivendell to have the army start inside.
    This would eliminate the need to make more terrain around the settlement as you could probably issue men forth out of the settlement.

You got your first rep on your first post. Yeah I agree, custom settlements need a little bit of extra room. Making everything 1.5 times as big would help a lot.

Witchsmeller's Avatar Libertus

I have a number of suggestions:

1.Corruption. It's really annoying, especially if you're playing High Elves or Dwarves. I believe that halving its effects should be enough.

2.Generals. Currently, generals are underpowered as governors (small effect on income, nerfed growth bonus) and overpowered as units (auto regenerating, powerful). To fix those issues, I suggest increasing the effect of obedience to the economy and decreasing the size of General's Bodyguard units.

3.AORs and mercs. I suggest adding all non-elite AOR units as mercenaries for their original faction's side. That way, we would be able to easily have multi-race armies. Last, and propably least, I think Lindon Longspears should be recruitable in Mithlond and Luneath.

EDIT:Almost forgot!
    4.Free upkeep. AI has garrison script. The least that should be given to the player is more free upkeep slots.
    Last edited by Witchsmeller; May 26, 2012 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchsmeller View Post
    I have a number of suggestions:

1.Corruption. It's really annoying, especially if you're playing High Elves or Dwarves. I believe that halving its effects should be enough.

4.Free upkeep. AI has garrison script. The least that should be given to the player is more free upkeep slots.
    The game is already doable. These changes would make it too easy.

However I do agree that the corruption system needs a rework. Perhaps using 'subcapitals' would fix the problem that Dwarves have.

For instance the Dwarves would get their main capital at Erebor, but a subcapital at Thorin's Halls. The subcapital would reduce unrest and corruption in the same way that a normal capital does, but with less impact. This would also help the Dwarven AI which often loses its western settlements to rebelions.

Or perhaps even some 'sphere of influence system'. Every large settlement with 90%+ culture of the faction would get a sphere of influence that affects corruption, unrest and cultural changes in the region. For example, Dol Guldur would 'corrupt' the surrounding lands, giving unrest bonusses to the Silvan Elven settlement to the north of it (if the Silvan Elves have it). This would make it more challenging to capture new territory and would improve the gameplay as well (it makes no sense for the western Dwarven settlements to rebel). It would also make it easier to hold land you have conquered for a while. Gondor holding Minas Morgul for a long time would 'cleanse' it from its evil, renaming it Minas Ithil', and give cultural bonusses to the Ithilien and the plateau of Gorgoroth.
    Last edited by Wizad; May 26, 2012 at 04:32 PM.

Icon3 Re: Suggestions

I would like to ask if the half-trolls from the Far Harad could be changed.

Not much is told about them in the books, tough I would like to see them bigger and more uggly (or trollish). EA games created half-trolls in their game: Battle for middle-earth 2:

Here is the "avatar" EA used for the half-trolls.

I know the wikipedias about Lord of the rings aren't reliable, still it might be worth a look:

In the chapter of the Pellenor Fields there's a direct reference to 'troll-men', apparently the equivalent to 'half-trolls', which strengthens the possibility that these people actually did carry troll blood.

Neither half-trolls nor troll-men are mentioned outside these two rather indefinite references, so ultimately it's impossible to be sure whether there really were literal half-trolls in Middle-earth. It seems at least as likely that the Men of Far Harad were simply so huge and ferocious (around 7 feet) that they could meaningfully be compared to trolls.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

The trollmen is described like this;
    Southrons in scarlet, and out of Far Harad black men like half-trolls with white eyes and red tongues.
    - The Battle of the Pelennor Fields
    Of which the resonable reading is that they were "black as if they would had been half troll and not just Men" which perhaps is a understanable perception for people who have never seen more than swarthy Men but have seen the dark-skinned trolls.
    Or at best, if one belive there to be such creatures, that these haradrim were "black just like half-trolls are" but then they were not such themselves as they are compaired to half-trolls (and we may question why any such crossbreeds are never mentioned or described).
    Either way the chosen path in TATW is already the better of alternatives if their ancestry is supposed to be not only of Man or possibly not only of Man, as nothing but their skincolor is said to look different from other Men (not size, no physical attributes etc)
    Last edited by Ngugi; May 29, 2012 at 07:01 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Agreed with Ngugi; also important to remember is that Tolkien modeled Middle-Earth around the basic geography of Europe, so it's not unreasonable to think that the Troll-Men of Far Harad could potentially just represent men of African descent's Middle Earth counterpart, considering the people of this area of Middle Earth had little to nothing to do with anything or anyone beyond Harad. Even that was tenuous knowledge at best - the Haradrim were for the most part surrounded in mystery.

Mumakils need to be available earlier. Way earlier. I reckon they should be recruitable from around the same time as Mordor start recruiting Olog Hai, I think that's fair enough.
    Seconded. This is a huge problem with an easy fix.

Some points about Rhûn:
    espescially about the clan-units.

The division into three cathegories is well made and I have nothing to complain about this.
    Clan units (low)
    Variag units (mid)
    Lôke units (high)

HIGH-TIER
    One must not discuss the golden troops. they are good as they are.

MID-TIER
    The mid-tier-units are in general well made. It is good to have each as a mounted and dismounted
    version. I really like the style of the Variag Raiders (no complaint with this unit!). But the Clan guard is a bit
    too "fantasy" for my taste. I (personally) dislike the weapon they use. a simple spear would have
    been better in my opinion. And I really dislike the "shoulder-shield". It makes them look a bit weird.
    And at last, I don't want to see them in a "silver" armour. Better would be a leather-one like the
    Variag Raiders, or/and (perhaps as an upgrade) the scale-armour as a bronze one.
    A bronze-scale-armour-upgrade could also be invented for the Variags.

LOW-TIER
    But my actual concern is the Clan-units. It is like with the overwhelming use of silver in the Clan
    Guard
    , but here it is worse: I don't criticize the design of the units itself, but they are represented
    with tunics in brigth colours of red, green and blue...
    that is a bit too varicoloured in my opinion. I know, the intention was to make the individuals look
    different, yes. but I think this can be solved in a better way then taking bright, different colours.
    The ruling colours in the faction of Rhûn are more or less: gold, brown, red. in different graduations.
    I must admit I'm a fan of a clearly visible faction-affiliation, but that must not mean, that every unit
    in a company must look the same.
    You devs yourself made the best example how to diversify a unit and keep an overall similar colour-
    design: The mercenary Variag Lancers. So perhaps instead of red, green, blue - use red, orange,
    brown, ochre, sand-coloured, perhaps a neutral dark grey or anthracite.
    And for the armour, like the Clan Guard: please less silver ones in the Clan Warriors (I think I remember
    the other Clan-Units have only brown leather, which is good)

And another point of "complaint": the captains of the different companies are taken from the
    mid-tier Clan Guard. that is ok for the low- nad mid-tier-units, but for the shiny golden high-tier
    ones it (sry) sucks.
    If the captains could be changed to hig-tier, it would be nice!

but nevertheless, these are just my thoughts and opinions, so I would appreciate if you read and
    think about it or even change after my suggestions, but in genereal Rhûn would still look cool, if
    you don't agree with my proposed changes.

In fact, I'm just suggesting this, because I really love to play with this faction!

I just read entire trilogy, and it seems to me that Tolkien described tower of Cirith Ungol as movie depicted Minas Morgul. Tolkien describes Minas Morgul something more like Minas Tirith. Has anyone noticed this before?

I really enjoy playing as Eriador, but Arnor is disappointement. Is it possible to copy Gondor buildings for Arnor? Even the greatest arnorian cities look like villages. It would be also cool to be able to rebuild Amon Sul at certain stage of development, something as Osgiliath.

I think it should be easier do develop castles and fortresses. It is almost impossible to have a castle before turn 150.

It would also be nice to add scenario for Gondor that replaces steward with Aragorn as king after destruction od Mordor. Having Aragorn as general, and stewards as rulers of Gondor is pointless.

Another thing. High elves. If i am not wrong those are actually Noldors that remained after the fall of Eregion. It is fine for Silvan elves to live on the trees, but Noldors used to build and live in cities and fortresses made of stone (except for those who lived in 'caves' such as Nargothrond and Menegroth). They were great craftsmen and builders. It is true that their power in third age diminished, but i don't believe it is their custom to live in trees. Even in movie Elostirion and Imladris don't look like that.
    Last edited by Seleukos_I.; June 01, 2012 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Double Post