Page 4 of 82 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    Minas Tirith to have a dozen or so non unit (towers) trebuchets to rain hell on the attacker as they approach the city, making the attacker to must have a truly massive army to be only able to take it. I haven't downloaded it yet, but is there another gate for a ram to bash through wall in upper Minas Tirith?
    Totally agree with this the next patch should have this for Minas Tirith.
    I also think the new patch should cointain one more playable faction that's starts off nutruel, no alliance withone but can go either way, just for fun. Also the patch should contain a bigger map it makes it more fun. And maybe new units like hobgobblins or something.

Just a thought or maybe it already exist and I don't know about it. Is there a guide that for Third Age 3.1 that explains all the units in each faction and their stats and also list all the settlements in the campaign?

smthhappy's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Isais1 View Post
    Just a thought or maybe it already exist and I don't know about it. Is there a guide that for Third Age 3.1 that explains all the units in each faction and their stats and also list all the settlements in the campaign?
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=255647.....

Maybe when Arnor is reunited the faction leader and the faction heir should get Knights of Annuminas as GB

Guys, thanks for this mod! It's awesome!
    I though about the problem of spawning armies. That's the one think I don't like in this mod. A think, it's a good idea to give some free upkeep units to evil factions, and if they join an invasion, they would get lots of very cheap mercenaires. Free upkeep units would guarantee the main army of the evil factions (like mongols in KGC mod), and invasion mercenaries would give more importance and stregth to invasions. What do you think?

SMITHHAPPY, Thank you Kindly sir

Shingen's Avatar Civis

Let the Dwarves have Khazad-dûm (Moria) and only a few units there. Then a script should start a large Orc invasion including the balrog in the first turn. A battle that can't be won by the Dwarves . Maybee introduced by a short video.

The Dwarves dug too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of Khazad-dum… shadow and flame.

I know i already mentioned adding another faction that's neutral, however I was thinking of just adding Dunland has an entire new faction. Actually I heard there is a sub-mod that adds them right? if so does anyone know which one and does it only add them or does it make a bunch of changes?

I think frome.

I know listing so many different things is going to look a bit ungrateful, but please don’t think that I am. This is by far the greatest mod I have played (equalled to Stainless Steel, maybe, I’m undecided). So I would like to thank you for taking the time to make it.
    I would also like to point out that I know a lot of what I put down is too time consuming, or impossible to do. But its Christmas and this is more of a wish list.
    There is a major lack of factions which really makes the game feel incomplete, and for me wrong.
    Khand, enemies of Rhun (and accessional ally) and Gondor.
    Spilting the dwarves into 2 kingdoms, the Blue Mountains and the Lonely Mountain. This would make more sense both in terms of lore and game play. Also Gloin and Gimli are both members of the Lonely Mountain not the Blue, they start in the wrong place. An option would be a Kingdom in Moria, under the leadership of Balin (colonised 2989), although short lived it could be a very interesting campaign.
    Woodmen of the vale. The men of central Mirkwood, the River men and Boerings put tighter in one group. It is known Men live there due to the words of the Great Eagle, talking about the men with bows.
    Ents.
    Hobbits.
    Splitting the elves Cirdan as the Lord of Lindon. Elrond in Rivendell. Celeborn in Lorien. thranduil in Mirkwood. All separated by vast distances and in the case of the Silvan elves have limited contact with each other. All 4 act as independently and would make the game more interesting, by giving more options.
    Principality of Dol Amorth, weakens a strong Gondor and allows the player to defend Gondor without having to play endless invasions of Linihr and Cair Andros.
    Dunland an independent people allied with Isenguard, not under the control of Isengaurd.
    Men of the Woses and Lossath are fairly unimportant and more suited to being rebels.
    There are a few other things apart from the factions they are:
    The evil factions don’t seem to fight between themselves enough, or at least I have never seen infighting, as we often see in the books. It would be nice to see a rhun vs. khand war for example.
    Troll rebels, a few units of trolls placed in the Coldfells/Hoarwell area. Mimic the scene from the hobbit.
    A few of the character are born at wrong times, however I presume that is a choice made to make creating the game easier. However Denathor should not be the Steward in 2980, but rather Ecthelion II should be, untill his death 4 years later.
    In 2980 Umbar was sacked, maybe it would be possible to represent this in the game.
    Cair Andros would be a nice custom settlement. Built on an island with rocks on the northern point which looked like a prow of a ship it is long and narrow. We know some defences were likely to have been built before 1944, however they might have be updated in 2900. I would speculate that it should show similarities to the original White Tower in Minas Anor, however that does not help much due to the lack of information the tower.
    Gondor should be able to recruit Rohan Rider Mercs from Anarion.
    Cavalry seem very unimportant in the game, which is odd considering the important placed on horses in the book. The battle of the field of Celebrant, the skirmish before Fangorn and siege of Minas Tirth. They should be able to defeat non spear infantry, or at least archers in combat.
    Elves don’t ride with any equipment, always bareback. Although I understand it would be hard and rather pointless to change, maybe changing the colour to hide the bridle.
    If any of this gets read then cheers.

Played Gondor (e/e to see osgiliath remade ,VH/H seriusly ,atm turn 80) ,Eriador (turn 130),HE (turn 60) and i feel ill take a look at the dorfs.The mod is plainly amazing,and the best gift santa could get us (i mean Gondor did not lose a single native province by turn 130 ....whoa!)

a)There is a huge issue with game balancing in Eriador.AI HE tends to amass huge armies and have them on vacation on lindon's lands ,while everyone else is dying.The same thing applies to Dwarfs Ai ,although if they conquer Nenuial they get more agressive .I think the AI attacks factions only if they have lands bordering each other,but i thought military access in diplomacy was there to prevent that.Really sucks the game balance since ,AI eriador plays alone versus two orcs (OotMM nearly always take hoarwell) and Isenguard sometimes (50-50 case).
    b)Mentioned also above the AI cannot reclaim lands that have less than the culture needed to recruit units for garrison purposes.I usually give everyone what is his lorewise ,but they never seem to keep them.Sidenote,on EVERY game ive played ,Dorfs lose eventually Thorin's Halls,which (always)gets picked up by HE.Ai should be given bonuses to oder to prevent Spy invasion and possible riot in early (and later ) stages of the game.
    c)I cant get the point behind the lack of growth in castles.They have growth problems from the start (unless im mistaken all of them have a 0.5% base farming level),and they are excluded from the newly entered addition of growth increase buildings (GREAT idea btw) that cities get.In ME ,garissoning a noble general in order to acquire at some point a fortress was always a neccesity ,and seems wrong to me.The alternative is to allow AI the control to get their growth boost and retake it ,or cheat,and i dont like either.And if i lived in ME,id chose to live in a castle and not a town ,safety-wise.
    d)Some of Baron's mods and other submods should be intergrated.Adopting the message spam /option would save many from a lot of nerve ,and make the game accessible to anyone regardless of skill/experience.The end turn atm for me is less than i could have hoped for (A-M-A-Z-I-N-G).
    e)I havent tried Stainless Steel to be honest.If SS's economy and Tatw's are equal or close in your opinion ,its ok ,if not the capital change cost should be altered.Im a big fan of the idea though.

Other notes/sugestions:
    -The angmar re-emergence is a complete and total lore garbage afaik.Just think that its Faction leader was,is and should be(if implemented),the currently Faction leader of Mordor (witch-king).Its is clearly mentioned in the books that gondor and HE destroyed everything related to it ,and no symbols of its power remain (like the endelmir or arnor's scepter [Endelmir was actually reclaimed from aragorn after discovering Saruman's hidden hoard in isengard ,after the end of the war,so that's a hit too]).Generally EA ,is not kind lorewise ,so this doesnt mean we should be either.Id like to know if there's a lore argument supporting it tho.
    -And the big sugestion.Im not a particular fan of the 'the more different units,AoR or not,the better' club.Firstly because i believe it brings a lot of balancing work,and secondly because sometimes i feel things should just be simpler.Instead im more of the few but great kinda type of guy .But all these are personal.So i was thinking if we could dump all the militia /professional units and instead have one unit ,being made different statwise and in appearance in the course of the game.For example on turn 0-40 i would have one unit of gondor soldiers that resembles the militia most used (stawise,and apparance).After the first /second(whatever suits you) recruitment event (lets say 40-80 turn window) ,upgrading them in a town with blacksmith/armorer(whatever level of that building) would increase their stats to a mid ,pre-professional unit (between the militia's stat's that i had and the professional gondor infantry ,while having them wear chainmail instead from the original leather ).Later with the neccesery armory and barracks buildings they could reach the professional level of the gondor soldier with the full plate armour and related combat stats.

Pros:a)We would worry about our units as they will be useful from the begining of the game to the later stages.
    b)It would make sense to start from militia and end up a professional ,all of it strongly affeced by the armor/experience the unit has.
    c)We wont have to face the militia to professional army transition ,and players that use only militia (blitz tactics) would be forced to new challenges.
    d)The armory building would be made of importance,and worth investing.

Cons:a)I have a reputation of suggesting not doable things,but i thought its worth a try.I mean,when i started playing tatw ,i could never imagine the awesomeness of custom settlements not that they could be made even,but...here they are,and they bloody rock.
    Sorry for the wall of text and thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Isais1 View Post
    I know i already mentioned adding another faction that's neutral, however I was thinking of just adding Dunland has an entire new faction. Actually I heard there is a sub-mod that adds them right? if so does anyone know which one and does it only add them or does it make a bunch of changes?
    I think it would have to be a sub-mod.

However if it wasn't gonna be a submod Isengard (Or even what I say here could make it a submod) would have to be Dunland's allies since Saruman kinda owns them and they would have to hand over armies when Isengard requests (And if you play as Isengard you can ask for control of Dunland forces) it and also have to pay Isengard some tax. And also perhaps there would be a small get powerful good faction of Dunland to the north that doesn't want to be with Isengard to make it's slightly easier for good factions in the North, only that but if you wanted to play as them to free Dunland under the rule of Saruman. And Isengard would have to have some permanently small genetic Orc Camps settlements within Dunland where they can build basic units as well as two or so near Isengard, one of the Orc Camps being a Lumber Camp near the edge of Fangorn to make Isengard some money.

Somethings in Rohan's lands would have to added to make more money so they can have larger armies to have a chance to defend their lands since they have to face both face Dunland and Isengard. This in turn would give Gondor a little bit more money who they trade with.
    Last edited by Rush; December 23, 2011 at 04:25 PM.

Hello together,

sorry post this in the "first impression" thread at first, because I see this thread too late.

At first: great mod and thanks to the whole team for their professional work and their effort.
    Especially the last patch improved the whole mod a lot; the strat map and the battle map models of the cities are just amazing.

But there is one thing I believe, which doesn´t really fit and these are the "Guards of Osgiliath"

Please don´t misunderstand me, I like the models and how they look like, but I think they don´t fit to the other Gondor rooster because of their colours and their armoury. For me, they belong more to the elven army.

But I like the idea of a special or elite Osgiliath unit and so I draw an own concept how they could look like:

I call them "Osgiliath Domeguards" and they are based on the roman praetorian cohorts.

And I would rework the hero model of the Dunland general in terms of hair colour and style. He should have black wild hairs with a gigantic beard. Exactly as on the unit card.

But these were the only things which disturbed me a bit.

thanks for the info Rush. Also guys Me personally i like playing just to play I care little about whats Lore and whats according to the movie and stuff I like to have fun. I have an odd question is there way that I can take the Nubian spear-men from MTW2 and add them to third age as mercs for the south? If so how can I do that?I just want variety, thats all
    Last edited by Incredible Bulk; December 23, 2011 at 04:53 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas View Post
    Hello together,

sorry post this in the "first impression" thread at first, because I see this thread too late.
    tbh i wasn't to keen on the Guards of Osgiliath, they do sort of stand out, i was really hoping for a Osgiliath veteran unit which are equipped with bow, shield and sword/spear, that can be recruited at Osgiliath at a lower barrack level along with Gondor spearmen and infantry.

A unit that can act both as a archer unit and frontline infantry wearing the standard gondorian armour, but mabey with some soliders being helmless, and displaying modifications to armour such as overlaps of chainmail on the plate armour, but have a long recruitment time

Allthough they would have archer capability, there range would be half that of gondorian archer militia, with half the ammo too, But within this short range would be able to fire off quicker volleys at twice the rate of archer militia, with slightly reduced damage

Also due to the factor of fighting more urban battles, they would have a slightly more loose formation and smaller unit sizes to show the splitting off from undermanned companys to cover different parts of Osgiliath

Also a possibile scripted event on a certain year, that start a fullscale epic war, nothing like a invasion, but purposely giving the good or bad ai factions a spawn scripted stacks. So if a player is playing a good faction, all bad factions at xxx turn will recieve xx amount of stacks/money to push the favour of bad factions, so borders don't remain the same later game. Also vice versa if your playing a bad faction, so the good guys will recieve the boost in manpower and money to show middle earth good faction uniting for one last sally.

This will in the hope allow the player to build up a bit early game as usual, but also have somthing to look forward to late game, and hopefully allow the ai to fight there way to custom settlements like minas tirith.

All these small invasions are good, but a big mother of all war scripted invasion event that set the ai loose on all those who share the same allegiance of the player.

Edit: was looking on the warhammer site and fount some pictures for concept, if you check the stats of these units on the site, they are a sorta duo role unit.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Abilities - Able to hide anyware ( not sure if any urban abilitly fighting bonus can be given to the unit?)
    Gondor Infantry stats as base

• -1 armour for some troops not wearing a helm
    • +2 Skill for being helmless
    • +1 defence (mabey?)
    • Archer capable & still have standard gondor shield

Strengths - Able to give of quick successions of volleys within a short range, Very resistant in close quater vs infantry,

Weakness
    - ineffective when overwhelmed due to having a constant skirmish mode (1 man pacing) and small numbers, making them only effective for urban battle, slow recruitment time 15 turns

• upkeep - 300,
    • cost - 750,
    • Company Number - 70 men (huge battle sizes)
    • standard loose formation until engaged

Background - The veterans who liberated Osgiliath, and chose to remain and guard the newly conquered borders have gained valuable experience fighting in urban combat. The frontier life has made them hardy folk, and often adopt addtional clothing for warmth or for blending with the natural surroundings with a cloak, with some within the company believing while helms offer protection, they obscure vision and hearing have led to some discarding there helm. Still inspired by the words of Boromir, showing unnwavering loyalty promising to remain in service to there lord, they preform there duties through the coldest winters, staying ever watchful. Experience of constant skirmishes being fought, and picket posting of troops have developed a new organization from the regular companys. Three Companys staying in service had decided in order to ensure that each post had sufficient numbers of archers, spearmen and men at arms, they would assign platoons from each companys to work cooperatively in combined companys, this led to the troops becoming familiar with each others weapons and training. These new company sizes were half the size of a small company, allowing better coordination when fighting in condensed street, using every bit of terrain the city offers.
    Last edited by AgentGB; December 25, 2011 at 10:52 AM.

Haven't played this game in awhile but I think it needs more mercenaries
    Let's see here, Mordor being able to hire not so numerous both Rhûn and Harad mercenaries. Isengard can hire some cheap to buy Misty Mountain Goblin swordsmen and archers mercenaries from Isengard itself, who are weaker than your Uruk Hai and have far cheaper upkeep, but are not as numerous, say for example you get five units every 5 years.

When the Dwarves have a general near Dale, they are able to hire quite often some mercenaries of light armoured Dale Bowmen and light armoured chainmail Dale Swordsmen, not as strong as Dwarven units but are faster moving than Dwarves, good at catching and killing Snaga Skirmishers.
    Last edited by Rush; December 23, 2011 at 06:47 PM.

First of all a big praise about 3.0.
    it's simply fantastic!
    getting better and better and never boring to play again and again.

but still there are things to improove.
    some points that came up to me while playing:
    -
    - the river to Tharbad ends short before the city's port (I found this when I got the instruction to blokade it)
    - captains of the (I think "northmen"-) Rebels: nice camp-map-models but in battle they are vanilla-british
    - mercenary-supply: in some regions (fE: Rhovanion) in others (fE: Gondor - just Bandits)
    - the texture of the shields of Dunlending Clansmen is somehow shifted/slipped
    - big Orc-city-walls: just palisade, no towers - but the sieging enemy builds siegetowers and ladders
    - Osgiliath: a bit sad that you cross the Anduin by walking through the water and not over the bridge
    - Osgiliath: the change from ruined walls to the intact gateways is much too hard! more smooth please
    - Henneth Annun has no roads on the camp-map, so there is no north-south-road through the whole of Ithilien.
    - no new overall-game-intro

first of all that's most of my complaint

I know this doesn't fit in this thread, but after all the nagging I want to point out what I like, too:
    +
    - first of all I really like to see many changes in the game that have been mentioned by the comunity, so this is not an authistic modders-thing here, but the players are included
    big praise about that!
    - the shipable rivers are very cool
    - not to forget the new settlements (fought at Minas Tirith, Imladris, Minas Morgul)
    - the AI now behaves much better in nautic activity
    - the improoved terrain is nice
    - the new regions are set well, and the more strategic positions of forts, too.
    - there's no early crusade on Rohan anymore
    - the new horses look great
    - the new High-elves are cool
    - the islands near Umbar are a good invention
    - and last but not least the new Menue-screen is top!
    EDIT: - and I really like the armor upgrade for Gondor - the affinity to the Arnor-soldiers is great.
    but I'd like to see the Militia implemented into an Armor-upgrade-system as well, so that one could use them still later ingame like G(r)eeknight posted up there^^.

so thanks for this new overwhelming version and keep on the good work!
    Last edited by mondpeiler; December 24, 2011 at 05:38 AM.

vonckenLOTR's Avatar Civis

swoosh, i think your absolutely right. but some things i need to mention: if ectelion is the steward, that means that denethor will need to come of age, or at least his sons. people who didn't come to age yet can't have a real picture in the family tree. other thing: i thought Eomer and Boromir where of the same age(not precisely, but..) Boromir is already come to age, while eomer is still a kid. and denethor is already steward, while theodon still is lord. small things. further i would love more nations, like swoosh said. but more protectorate-like. as in: the orcs of gundabad declare the hobbits war, but the hobbits are a protectorate of the free peoples of eriador. this means that eriador will be at war when the orcs only attacked the hobbits, and vice versa(when eriador is at war, their protectorates will help him)

and it would be good if some of the makers react, to see what they think about the suggestions.

First I want to thank you for Third Age 3.0 it's really wonderfull . Here are some suggestions:

1.) Dwarven Rings:

Three of the Seven Dwarven Rings still exist somewhere in some of Sauron's strongholds. It would be cool when there is a possibility of getting one of them as Dwarves when concering important places like Dol Guldur, Barad Dur or Minas Morgul.

2.) Kingdom of Khazad-Dûm:

When conquering Moria with the Dwarves there should be an event that the Kingdom of Khazad-Dûm is reestablished and the dwarven general should get the title "King of Khazad-Dûm".

3.) Custom buildings in Osgiliath:

Some unique buildings in Osgiliath like the "Dome of Stars", "Osgiliath's stone bridge" and the "Great Hall of Osgiliath" should be in Osgiliath's building list.

4.) More Titles:

More cities should have a unique heraldic or feudal titles like "Lord of Pelagir", "Lord of Dol Amroth", "Major of Bree", "Duke of Helm's Deep", ...
    Especially feudal factions like Gondor, Rohan or Eriador should be able to get such titles to show their government system and to make more rollplay possible.

5.) Bloodline traits:

It's possible that family members hand down traits to their sons. All family members and important generals at the beginning should have a bloodline trait like "House of Stewards", "House of Elrond", "House of Bard", ... while addopted generals should get a trait "bastard". Furthermore elves should have additional bloodline traits like "Sindar", "Noldor", "Quendi", ... the Dwarves additional bloodline traits like Longbeard, Firebeard, Broadbeam, ... and men "Edain", "Dunedain", "Northmen",...

6.) Government buildings:

There should be government buildings for all factions similar to those in EB. E.g. Gondor could have "Military control", "Steward's Administration", "Princedom of Dol Amroth", "Feudal Lordship", "Allied kingdom".

7.) Custom buildings in Moria:

Dimrill Gate, Doors of Durin, Endless Stair should be also cutom buildings in Moria.

A new Lumber Camp building for Evil Orc factions which give 1000 gold which only be built in rich Forest areas. With 3 upgrade Small Lumber Camp costs 1500 to build and gives 500 gold each turn, Large Lumber Camp costs 3000 to build but gives 1500 gold, Lumber Camp Complex (more than one Lumber Camp) costs 5000 gold but gives 3500 gold each turn.
    And can only build basic troops as well as only have weak wooden walls. And when a Good Faction takes over a Lumber Camp it just turns into a small camp providing a small amount of gold, let's say 500 gold.

And to add to this further evil Orc factions could have a lot more tiny Orc non upgradeable settlements most of them rebel all over Middle Earth. And good faction could take these giving more money and more troops for them.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentGB
    tbh i wasn't to keen on the Guards of Osgiliath, they do sort of stand out, i was really hoping for a Osgiliath veteran unit, that can be recruited at Osgiliath at a lower barrack level along with Gondor spearmen and infantry.

A unit that can act both as a archer unit and frontline infantry wearing the standard gondorian armour, but mabey with some soliders being helmless, and displaying modifications to armour such as overlaps of chainmail on the plate armour, but have a long recruitment time

Allthough they would have archer capability, there range would be half that of gondorian archer militia, with half the ammo too, But within this short range would be able to fire off quicker volleys at twice the rate of archer militia, with slightly reduced damage

Also due to the factor of fighting more urban battles, they would have a slightly more loose formation and smaller unit sizes to show the splitting off from undermanned companys to cover different parts of Osgiliath

Also a possibile scripted event on a certain year, that start a fullscale epic war, nothing like a invasion, but purposely giving the good or bad ai factions a spawn scripted stacks. So if a player is playing a good faction, all bad factions at xxx turn will recieve xx amount of stacks/money to push the favour of bad factions, so borders don't remain the same later game. Also vice versa if your playing a bad faction, so the good guys will recieve the boost in manpower and money to show middle earth good faction uniting for one last sally.

This will in the hope allow the player to build up a bit early game as usual, but also have somthing to look forward to late game, and hopefully allow the ai to fight there way to custom settlements like minas tirith.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiskompi View Post
    Guys, thanks for this mod! It's awesome!
    I though about the problem of spawning armies. That's the one think I don't like in this mod. A think, it's a good idea to give some free upkeep units to evil factions, and if they join an invasion, they would get lots of very cheap mercenaires. Free upkeep units would guarantee the main army of the evil factions (like mongols in KGC mod), and invasion mercenaries would give more importance and stregth to invasions. What do you think?
    I think it could be a great copulation.