Page 37 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1227282930313233343536373839404142434445464762 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Suggestions

Lol yes I saw it I was pretending to be a sad kid that got a trouble lol

p00pwater's Avatar Libertus

my suggestion would be to implement a custom tile, similar to puropose as the gates of rammas echor at the west gate of moria. this would be awesome if given a custom dwarven style gate, but would also mean that dwarves could use the gate if a player such as HE or arnor capture moria and give it to the dwarves.

Master Celeborn's Avatar Libertus

Could you limit the development of large city and fortress to some settlements as Huge city and citadel?

I don t like to see Pinnath Galen large as Dol Amroth! Something for shire s settlements.

Saruman and Morgoth created creatures called half-orcs and/or goblin-men (not sure if it's the same).
    How about that?

I also have another suggestion. In another Medieval 2 mod called "The Last Kingdom" it was possible to create a so called "colony", it's around the same as the autonomy to the hobbits and the ents, but then you could only build local units and the culture conversion went a lot faster. Personally I think it was a great feature. In order for that tough, we need islands. And I noticed in a more detailed map of middle earth there are some islands to do that.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Don't know if people would agree, but I think it would be a great "expansion" of the current campaign.
    Last edited by Jean=A=Luc; April 15, 2012 at 09:43 PM.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Firstly there are limitations for how large a map can be and the current one is very large. Secondly that map is fanmade
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Can you also put the map in a spoiler please.

Don't think any colonies where established in this age, Numenoreans where the grandmasters of colonization and they're kinda gone.

Hi, this is what I think:

-Isengard should have bomb planters like in helms deep, but can only be used in siege battles. (They should be two uruk-hai carrying a bomb with a beserker behind them to light it).

-I know that there is a sub-mod for this but it shouldn't have to be, when becoming Arnor change the colour to the correct colour (dark blue and gold or something else) and change their name to Arnor instead of Eriador still.

-Perhaps gandalf could turn into gandalf the white and some point?

Any way great game.

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Actually it is based on ICE's map of Middle-Earth, but yes.

It could be done, but as there are limitations to how many provinces the map can hold (one of our major challenges in EB2 cause of the huge map we include), you would have to merge some of the current ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispicus View Post
    Hi, this is what I think:

-Isengard should have bomb planters like in helms deep, but can only be used in siege battles. (They should be two uruk-hai carrying a bomb with a beserker behind them to light it).

-I know that there is a sub-mod for this but it shouldn't have to be, when becoming Arnor change the colour to the correct colour (dark blue and gold or something else) and change their name to Arnor instead of Eriador still.

-Perhaps gandalf could turn into gandalf the white and some point?

Any way great game.
    -We do not know that "The Fire of Orthanc" is a bomb, it might as well be magic.

-The colour change to dark blue and general corrections is a minimod included in Baron Samedi's collection; I do not know whether it will be in MOS, but I hope so. And hopefully at some point in Vanilla as well, for you are right.

-Again, Gandalf the White is a submod included in BS' collection and hopefully in MOS. TATW? Who knows, I suspect it is far down KK's list. Should Gandalf even be in the game as a general? That is not what he was.

Anyway, I mostly posted to recommend Baron Samedi's minimod collection. Most bugs seem to be known and fixable, but it is slightly buggy. Try it anyway though, I think you will like it.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    Actually it is based on ICE's map of Middle-Earth, but yes.

It could be done, but as there are limitations to how many provinces the map can hold (one of our major challenges in EB2 cause of the huge map we include), you would have to merge some of the current ones.
    The regions aren't the only problem, but the map can't be larger than a certain amount of pixels
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Thanks I will have a look now

heroes should be able to use as generals in custom battles

Hi everyone, I’ve some ideas for TATW involving the Elves, and possible units for the Silvan Elves.

Firstly, although I love TATW and admire the game and wish to thank its creators for giving it to us, I must say that as a player of the game, the recruitment time gaps for the best units is far too long. All the interesting and powerful units have too many turns before they’re recruitable again, which means few of them get involved in the game quickly enough. Getting more of the better units of all factions involved earlier with much shorter recruitment periods, would mean better overall battles, and a better gaming experience in general, as well as involving a better variety of units for armies. I’d say 4, 5 or 6 turns for the best units is long enough, with militia and other units having 2, 3 or 4 turns until they’re recruitable again. I mean, who wants to play with Gondor Militia or Bree-land Militia, etc in countless battles throughout the game? or with lots of militia units in general for long periods of the game? as it can take a long while to get settlements to city size anyway, and its only then when the stronger, more heavily armoured and iconic units become recruitable. Basically, during the game, we all want the joy of leading a strong and powerful army against our enemies, but with the agonizingly long gaps between being able to recruit the best units in the game, it leads to lots of battles with the weaker, less interesting units. Let’s make the best units more available!

Anyway, moving on. One of the sub-mods in Baron’s compilation is the reforging-concept of the Elven factions. I think this is a great sub-mod which deserves debate as to whether it should be included in the vanilla TATW. I believe it should be included in TATW because the reforging concept adds a nice added possibility in the game play, based on the idea of the player being an Elven faction, and succeeding in expanding their Elven factions power. Conquest and expansion are 2 of the main points of the game play, so the possibility of convincing the Elves to stay in Middle Earth, should be possible. Being a Tolkien fan and having reads the books, I understand and appreciate that the Elves, except perhaps the Silvan Elves, are leaving ME, but in a game play situation where a player has taken 25 settlements with the High or Silvan Elves, and the settlements reach a high Elven culture level, the game should be flexible enough to accept that a strong Elven faction exists. By taking and keeping certain settlements, the player should perhaps gain certain guilds and units particular to their faction, once certain conditions have been met.

My suggestion is that the reforging-concept of the Elven factions be absorbed into vanilla TATW, but with a couple of beneficial changes for the Silvan Elves, who could gain a couple of units like the High Elves do, once certain conditions have been met, for example . . .

By reforging the Woodland Realm, the Silvan Elves could perhaps gain Sindar Heavy Archers as their own recruitable unit, and/or Sindar Heavy Swordsmen, and/or a cavalry unit with a sword or lance/spear. The Cavalry unit (or units) could be based upon the Silvan Elves having conquered a certain amount of territories where horses are a tradeable resource or are bred, especially where the horse is shown, like in the Anduin Valley, former Rhovanost, Rhūn, Rohan, etc. Also, a Sindar Heavy Swordsmen unit could have the same stats as the Eldar Heavy Swordsmen and be recruitable only once the Woodland Real has been reforged and only after 8-10 turns of the game have lapsed. The same could apply to the Sindar Heavy Archers but perhaps be the best possible archers on the game with a Missile Attack of 13 or 14 along with Total Defence of 16, like the Eldar Heavy Archers, or 17 in order to make them stand out for the Silvan Elves, who have ever so slightly lower stats than the High Elves, in general.

Also, in the reforging concept, the High Elves gain 2 great units in the forms of the powerful Mithlond Nobles and Smiths of Eregion. The Smiths of Eregion’s recruitment speed should be reconsidered as it’s currently too long. Firstly, it takes a while to be strong enough to take Eregion, then you have to build it to city size, then get the barracks etc, and before you know it, countless turns have elapsed, you’ve moved forward and once you can recruit Smiths of Eregion, you get one every 12 turns – disappointing. Around 6-8 turns before allowing them to be recruitable again would be more pleasing to the player, especially as there’s only 101 men in the unit for a start!

There we go – these are my suggestions. It would be great to hear what others think.

I'm sure it's not an original argument, but I think there's a very, very good argument to be made for creating Dol Guldur as its own faction. Some justifications:

-From a lore perspective, Sauron needed to crush Gondor before he had access to the rest of Middle-Earth. As it stands now, because Mordor automatically seeks to bridge their territory (Mordor and DG), they almost inevitably end up bypassing Gondor to fight the Silvans and Rohan; perhaps by breaking Dol Guldur off from Mordor's current possessions, we'd see a more lore-friendly focus on Gondor.

-From a similar lore perspective, my understanding is that the war in the North was largely focused around the Easterling invasion and the Elven campaign against Dol Guldur. As it stands, though DG typically remains something of a backwater, and it's easy to capture as the Silvans in a dozen turns or less. I don't think the strategic centrality of the Hill is quite captured by its currently relatively minor status.

-From a gameplay perspective, it would give the dark forces a nice boost in the region. It seems to me that in central Middle Earth, as it stands, you have four good factions (HE, SE, Eriador, and Dwarves) largely concentrated on two evil factions (Gundabad and Moria.) Adding DG in to balance it out would make the northern war more interesting for all of these factions.

-Also from a gameplay perspective, I think it's entirely strategically viable. New factions need a basis in lore as well as room to expand. The basis in lore has already been established, and its strategic viability is guaranteed: it can literally expand in all four cardinal directions.

I really don't think the faction needs a new roster (though new units are always nice.) Mordor's current roster, minus some troops, and plus giant spiders, would suffice. I really think it would be a blast to play, help balance, and ultimately make TATW that much more of a compelling experience for all factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispicus View Post
    heroes should be able to use as generals in custom battles
    This submod allows to play the heroes on custom battles, check it out

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=514454
    Last edited by Incredible Bulk; April 15, 2012 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garriath View Post
    From a lore perspective, Sauron needed to crush Gondor before he had access to the rest of Middle-Earth. As it stands now, because Mordor automatically seeks to bridge their territory (Mordor and DG), they almost inevitably end up bypassing Gondor to fight the Silvans and Rohan; perhaps by breaking Dol Guldur off from Mordor's current possessions, we'd see a more lore-friendly focus on Gondor.

-From a similar lore perspective, my understanding is that the war in the North was largely focused around the Easterling invasion and the Elven campaign against Dol Guldur. As it stands, though DG typically remains something of a backwater, and it's easy to capture as the Silvans in a dozen turns or less. I don't think the strategic centrality of the Hill is quite captured by its currently relatively minor status.
    A clarification.

Gandalf's original fear that lead him to help Thorin and Company was a campaign from Dol Guldur, OoG. OotM led by Smaug striking through Imladris and Eriador.

I knew that Sauron had arisen again and would soon declare himself, and I knew he was preparing for a great war. How would he begin? Would he first try to re-occupy Mordor, or would he first attack the chief strongholds of his enemies? I thought then, and I am sure now, that to attack Lorien and Rivendell, as soon as he was strong enough, was his original plan. It would have been a much better plan for him and much worse for us.
    It might have gone very different indeed. The main attack was diverted southwards, it is true; yet even with his far-stretched right hand Sauron could have done terrible harm in the North, while we defended Gondor, if King Brand and King Dain had not stood in his path. When you thinkl of the great battle of Pelennor, do not forget the battle of Dale. Think of what might have been. Dragon-fire and savage swords in Eriador! There might be no queen in Gondor. We might now only hope to return from the victory here to ruin and ash. But that has been averted- because I met Thorin Oakenshield one evening on the edge of spring not far from Bree. A chance meeting, as we say in Middle-earth.
    Gandalf, "The Quest for Erebor, Unfinished Tales.

Hence, Sauron attacking north is in fact close to his original plan before Smaug fell and the Council drove him from Dol Guldur (I always wondered how they did that).

Dol Guldur is too easy to catch, but as the Nazgūl there was a slave to Sauron's will, I believe the fix to that should be different from your solution. Perhaps a stronger scripted garrison? I do not know.

Macrille, thanks for those quotations. They are both intriguing and germane. I do think, however, that they actually serve my point.

Regarding the first quote, Gandalf states that Sauron circa the Hobbit had two options: reoccupy Mordor, or attack the Elves from Dol Guldur (where he was at that time located.) This of course implies that his invasion would have been conducted with his armies located in the Hill of Sorcery, and not from Mordor itself. However, as I was arguing earlier, in the mod as it stands, Dol Guldur rarely fields its own armies, but rather is simply reinforced by troops marching from Mordor, which doesn't seem to be lore-accurate.

Regarding your second quotation, I think it's pretty clear that the "far-stretched right hand of Sauron" refers to the Easterlings, in this case. He credits Brand and Dain with defeating it at the battle of Dale. However, that battle was solely fought against the Easterlings. There's no suggestion here that orcs from Mordor marched up through the wilderland to help fight the Silvan elves and Dale.

In brief, what we see is that there were orcs in Mordor, fighting against Gondor, and orcs in Dol Guldur fighting against the elves, but there's no reason to believe that these orcs marched from one location to another, or had enough regular contact to be called one united faction.

Is there any way to replace orc officer for the Troll units? It actually starts disturbing a lot.

While most Attack Trolls preferred to use clubs, some (mainly their captains) used two huge swords instead of clubs. While these swords do not have such a huge damage radius and could be parried (only strong heroes like Aragorn are seen to be capable of this), they dealt the greatest damage. Also, these swords reduced the chance of attacking in melee even more, rendering most melee weapons practically useless against them.
    http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Attack_Troll
    'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come! Do we have more Hobbits to withstand this ancient evil?!'

Andor Vex's Avatar Libertus

Are POWs hard-coded into Med II or is it possible to remove that aspect of the game line in RTW? POWs really don't make much sense in Middle-Earth. Orcs kill all in their path, and the Free Peoples do not release orc prisoners either. It would only make sense when there's infighting among the "Good" or "Bad" factions but if there's an option I'd rather have POWs removed.

Just a random offshoot idea I thought I'd throw in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Andor Vex View Post
    Are POWs hard-coded into Med II or is it possible to remove that aspect of the game line in RTW? POWs really don't make much sense in Middle-Earth. Orcs kill all in their path, and the Free Peoples do not release orc prisoners either. It would only make sense when there's infighting among the "Good" or "Bad" factions but if there's an option I'd rather have POWs removed.

Just a random offshoot idea I thought I'd throw in here.
    NEIN! That's German for no