Page 36 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1126272829303132333435363738394041424344454661 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Default Re: Suggestions

You should be able to emerge gondor and arnor, when aragorn is king.

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

I wish Duneland was its own faction

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

I have 3 suggestions.

1 - Make the generals weaker and more difficult to get more stars and attributes. Except the ones with rings, like wich king, that would give more impportance to the rings and make his onwers more unique generals.

2- I think I have a good idea for implementing the flying units (fellbeasts and eagles), here I go...

First, make them unable to be used in siege battles. We know they cant fly over buildings and specially now with the ustom settlements and all heigh variations, that would result in bugs and all.

Second, Make them not mercenaries or regula units but special units got by events, like the ENTS. This way, their usage in game would be very hare and special, giving more mystery and immersion in the lore, also, reducing the changes of weird results and bugs.

Each unit should have only one soldier/unit, and I know it is not possible with the current engine, but I have a suggestion for making it, look in the next topic right down.

3 - So this is a idea for having a single soldier in a unit, (for balrog, sauron, flying units etc.)

The idea is, make it a general, use the general to make the model/skins, and then makeall the bodyguards invisible by applying an alpha texture. And then give them 0 in all status, this way they could not hurt anyone and would die very quickly, hiding the strangeness of this trick.

Now, I have no idea if that would work, it can sound dumb, I dont know, its just ideas...

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Nate2612 View Post
    You should be able to emerge gondor and arnor, when aragorn is king.
    Aragorn should not actually be King at all until the Reunited Kingdom is forged as it is his taking the crown that reunites it- not a building in Osgiliath finished.

However, as a nod to one of the greatest characters of the books, he is included and I the Lore-Fundamentalist can appreciate that. However, there must be other criteria to fullfill reuniting Gondor and Arnor. So there is, for a challenging part-way goal on your way to victory...

If you want to start with the Reunited Kingdom under Aragorn, try Baron Samedi's mod.

I wish Duneland was its own faction
    So do i, and it is in Forgotten Realms of Middle-Earth I think. But I also fear that will leave Isengard horribly weak with only one province.

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

I was looking through the Descr_Buildings file as I was wondering at Guilds.

Seems to me as Gondor that 90% of the guild offers are Thief or Explorers' Guilds, and only the last 10% are Swordsmith's or Merchants (and I actually want the latter two more).

So I was looking through thinking "I can damn well add them myself instead of refusing offer after offer till I get one I want". And I noticed that HE cannot build Swordsmith's Guild. I believe they should be able to; the greatest blades of Middle-Earth were all forged by Elves and it was the smiths of Imladris who reforged the shards of Narsil into Andúril. It may be there is a special Guild for HE that I did not notice (besides History and Gwaith-i-Mirdain"), but if not I would suggest two things;

1. The HE should have Swordsmith's Guild almost by default, perhaps starting with one in Imladris. This is lore-based.

2. Can the chance of Swordsmith's or Merchants' Guild be turned up a bit or is it hardcoded?

Few things to add in my opinion:

-The dwarves should get a short bow unit from the level on range. There is lots of lore to support it (The Hobbit for example) and it would allow the dwarf player to save thecrossbow bolts for armored units and take out the snagas with the bowmen.
    - Looking at the rosters for the OOTMM and OOG I noticed that OOG seems to have use cheaper and weaker orcs with strong troll support, while OOTMM uses stronger orcs and archers. I think they both need extra units to make those differences more obvious. I think OOG should have access to the improved warg riders that isengard gets as well as the weaker ones they have now. That way the will have access to stronger and more numerous cav and can surrond armies better with their huge numbers. OOTMM should get a heavy jav unit like pelargir marines. This would fit with their current roster of heavy inf and archers and would be great in the Misty Mountain passes. Both orc factions should also get a light cav unit of wargs with no rider to help take out archers.
    - The Loke Khan cav are really weak for their price. Eored Heavy lancers, Arnor knights, Swan knights and Serpent Guard can all beat it and all cost less. It`s price should be reduced or its stats boosted.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

An idea for more lore-accurate regions in Mordor, wich doesn't have the amount of regions it should have in my opinion. http://thelandofshadow.com/mordorgat.../mordormap.htm
    At least add Seregost, Thaurband, Eastern Guard, and Caran to Mordor and rename the origional settlement in Nurn into Nurngost.
    Also, make Nûrn a little bit more vertile, as this region was used to grow food to supply the great armies at Gorgoroth.
    Last edited by Dutch-Balrog; April 06, 2012 at 06:09 PM.

Release a hotseat patch to make the fight between the good and the evil factions more balanced! Thank you kindly dear modders!

i think isengard is underpowered mainly because their only early spear unit is aor and not that good
    i also think they should have the strongest infantry of any orc faction their raiders are identical to mordors and uruk hai infantry has only one more defense point than the much more inferior uruk

Athala Rangers (Dale tier III archer unit) should be able to plant stakes. Two reasons:

1. It would help differentiate them from Bardian Marksmen, another Dale tier III archer unit.
    2. Dunedain Rangers and Ithilien Rangers can plant stakes, so Athala Rangers should also be able to.

Someone in the Dale Archers thread suggested that Dale be able to recruit Dwarven mercenaries around Erebor, just like the Dwarves get to recruit Dale's mercenary cavalry. That really made me thinking, it'd actually be a really interesting feature if all the good factions could recruit mercenaries from the same territory as their ally's capitals, and the evil factions vice versa (that is, if I'm Rohan and send a general up to the Woodland Realm, I can recruit a single unit of mercenary silvan archers, or if I'm Rhun, if I send a general down to Mordor, I can recruit an orc or uruk mercenary unit.) They'd be very expensive, and very rare, nothing to build an army around, and nothing that would really stretch the lore. At the same time, I think they'd add an incredible amount of flavor, and help with the fact that TATW, as magnificent as it is, is kind of lacking in the mercenary department in most regions.

It would be cool with evil factions could recruit evil elves and evil dwarves

It is doubtful at this point of the history of Middle-Earth there is still any Elf that may fall for the lies and tricks of Sauron. Concerning the Dwarves there is only one mention of them in The Hobbit iirc, saying that some of them worked with the orcs. Neutral Dwarves, ready to bargain for peace, probably, but purely evil ones, i'm not sure. I saw somewhere (probably some LOTR wiki) that the brass armors of Rhun were made by the dwarves of the Orocarni Mountain (East of Rhun), but that doesn't mean they would go to war for Sauron.

Since i'm here, i was thinking these days about the hype we got a pair of months ago on the subject of The Orcs of Gundabad and how to make them more competitive and with better characterization. I think it would be interesting for the orcs to have a unit of not too expensive, soft-hitting orcs, but with decent armor and with the hugest, most solid pavise shields orcs could wield (like a 6 or 7 in shield armor stat). Orcs are no fool when it comes to waging war and millenias of warfare against dwarves and pointy-eared pests may have learned them a thing or two about their chances to survive an assault against an army bristling with bows and arbalests. It would in a first time, give them a tactically usefull unit which could shield the other more fragile damage-dealing ones by being in front and being a more pressing threat than the following ones, being a good arrow-sink and able to pin archers in close combat to allow their stinky buddies to move more freely on the battlefield. It would also offer to the faction a unit which could convey a feeling of better training, discipline and preparation than most of the other units, fitting with the background of the Gundabad faction.
    Last edited by Khay; April 12, 2012 at 12:41 PM.
    "GB2/HoME"
    I have deduced, from your knowledge of Middle-Earth background, that you read scrupulously History of Middle Earth. Given your close-minded opinion on various aspects of Tolkien lore in detriment of TATW interest and gameplay, I believe that
    you are better suited to that reading activity, and suggest you go back to it.
    I guess it could work for some guys with Battle of Middle Earth as well...

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure there's some lines somewhere about how some dwarves went to war for Sauron during the Last Alliance
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Oh ok but nothing as far the 3rd age, oh well ok

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

The older the texts, the more Dwarves are noted to been in leauge with Dark Lords from time to time. Tolkien as the time passed on concluded this to be quite a overestimated relationship. Dwarves became part of the good guys or neutral with some few exceptions, of which we are not told about any beside possibly the Last Alliance where very race [though we have to assume this is an exaggeration, especially concerning Elves] are said to fought on either side.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

[Goblins] did not hate dwarves especially, no more than they hated everybody and everything,
    and particularly the orderly and prosperous; in some parts wicked dwarves had even made alliances with them.
    - The Hobbit; Over Hill and Under Hill

They are a tough, thrawn race for the most part, secretive, laborious, retentive of the memory of injuries (and of benefits), lovers of stone, of gems, of things that take shape under the hands of the craftsmen rather than things that live by their own life. But are not evil by nature, and few ever served the Enemy of free will, whatever the tales of Men alleged. For Men of old lusted after their wealth and the work of their hands, and there has been enmity between the races.
    - RotK; Appendix F
    A Dwarven merc unit in the east available for both good and evil factions could work quite well though.

On Elves there been very few evil Elves [of whom the lot has to be concidered the followers of Fëanors sons who cant be many left around]. Not even the Avari whom could be quite hostile in temper and culture were not in leauge with the (first) Dark Lord, thats is troughoutly stated, and is never anywhere associated with the second;
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

But already before the final separation *mori-kwendi may have referred to the glooms and the clouds dimming the sun and the stars during the War of the Valar and Melkor, so that the term from the beginning had a tinge of scorn, implying that such folk were not averse to the shadows of Melkor upon Middle-earth.

The implication that … the Moerbin [the Sindar name for non-Sindar, whether Elves or Men] were allies of Morgoth, or at least of dubious loyalty, was, however, untrue with regard to the Avari. No Elf of any kind ever sided with Morgoth of free will, though under torture or the stress of great fear, or deluded by lies, they might obey his commands... The 'Dark-elves', however, often were hostile, and even treacherous, in their dealings with the Sindar and Noldor; and if they fought, as they did when themselves assailed by the Orcs, they never took any open part in the War on the side of the Celbin [non-Avari elves].
    - The War of the Jewels, HoME Vol 11

(About the Second Age)
    Many Elves dwelt there indeed, as they had dwelt through the countless years, wandering free in the wide lands far from the Sea; but they were Avari, to whom the deeds of Beleriand were but a rumour and Valinor only a distant name. And in the south and in the further east Men multiplied; and most of them turned to evil, for Sauron was at work.
    - Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age

Remnants of the Telerian Elves (of Doriath in ancient Beleriand) establish realms in the woodlands far eastward, but most of these peoples are Avari or East-elves.
    - HoME 12; The Appendix on Languages: Commentary

Sauron is never told to ever taken Elves captured and indoctrinated as Morgoth did; possibly he could not.
    To create some kind of evil elven unit can fit a submod but should not be part of the vanilla game.
    Last edited by Ngugi; April 12, 2012 at 12:01 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

You know what I don't understand how is that Gondor has the ability to recruit trolls, why can they do that? Are some trolls "good"?

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

No, and why are you asking this in the suggestions thread?

Because we are in the topic of evil recruiting good and good recruiting evil, that's why, is that a problem? I sorry if I annoyed you, I will try not to do so again

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I was joking, didn't you see my tongue smily?