Page 13 of 82 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122233863 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Suggestions

You meen Gildor Inglorion for HE? I agree anyway
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Quote Originally Posted by Descendent of Kings View Post
    First off, a lot of good stuff! Keep it coming!

About Rohan...neat idea but gameplay-wise totally useless. You'd have to make them weaker than Eorlinga Militia and then they couldn't stand against anyone so you'd never use them anyways other than for fun.

About Dol Amroth Squires...totally agree. Makes a lot of sense.

About Gondorian Knights...to me the current Gondor cavalry fits that bill (not talking about cavalry militia).

About Guards of Osgiliath...agree to a point. In one thread I saw a suggestion for a Veterans of Osgiliath unit which I really liked. I think someone even made them for a submod, I remember seeing an image and looked great. They'd represent the men who guarded ruined Osgiliath and thus have worn out armour and such. The actual unit GoO though are unlocked when you've REBUILT Osgiliath. No longer a ruined city and once again the glory of Gondor, so yes I agree they should be retextured but actually made to look more well kingly I suppose. Perhaps just a darker blue is all they need, just the current bright royal blue isn't really doin it for me lol.
    Eorling militia only has about 151 men in a unit. I think peasants should be in like 251 men on scattered formation with combat bonus in snow and woods. They will be very useful as fodders early game and great garrison units for Rohan then.

About Gondorian knights, I think not Gondor cavalry to me represents the heavily armed cavalry militia and not noble knights. They would be like the regular professional soldiers. Plus it would be a great excuse to add new unit models.

Indefinitely Banned

It'd be cool having the human and orc units for Gundabad bedecked with cooler armour, spiky and black like the black Numenorian units. Something to give them a little more aesthetic difference from OotM and Mordor.

Hanti's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by stochastic View Post
    Thank you for reading my suggestions!

3) Revamp the script that creates units when besieging settlements.

A typical experience is this: I besiege Isinguard and more troops than I can defeat are mysteriously summoned into being. I withdraw and the computer sends half of this inexplicable army after me weakening my forces. Having defeated this magic army I send my reduced force back to lay siege, nothing is summoned to my joy but unfortunately with my reduced forces I am going to have to wait this siege out now. 5 turns into the siege 6 new units are summoned magically (many of which are better than can even be recruited) and I get frustrated and leave having lost several units, strengthened my opponent rather than weakening him, and spending about 20k in unit upkeep in the process.

This feature is good for AI vs AI because it prevents them from taking each other over too quickly but frankly it doesn't really make the game harder it just changes the order in which you have to take AI settlements, leaving certain ones until you have decent 20-stack armies which is easy to get after taking over all the nearby non-scripted towns. Frankly the problem with AI difficulty is intrinsic to total war, the only way to make the game difficult in ANY mod has generally been to basically cheat for the computer and when you don't follow ANY of the rules of the game it's not as fun.

My suggestions:

a) If it is possible, start the computers with special garrison units which have 0 upkeep and 0 movement which will stay and protect the key cities making them harder to take but not giving the AI massive free roaming armies. Alternatively maybe they can just be scripted not to move

b) make the settlement siege scripts only trigger once per 30 turns

c) I don't know how it works exactly but increase the degree to which key settlements affect auto-resolve battles such that it's hard for computer players to take them, and place fast firing arrow towers etc. in them so that they are hard to take on the battlefield too.

Sorry if it's coming off a bit unappreciative I really appreciate the mod!

P.S. I play OoG my favorite non-elven faction >.<
    I second that. If it is necessary to protect AI cities by free armies - just make them NON movable.
    I hate when they chase me with those free recruit and free upkeep magic armies.

Another issue.
    It's strange that units don't panic (shaken, wavering state) until they lose 85% of their men/orc/etc.
    It's even more strange that they start to shake after losing 81% of soldiers and start to wave when they lose more than 85%. But they rout when 90% is lost.
    It's just THE SAME moment in battle.
    I would suggest that units should shake after losing 70% of it's soldiers at least (60% would be even better). Then they should wave after 80% and finally rout after 90%.
    I said "at least" as my preferences are 60% shake, 75% wave, 85% rout, as none will be waiting till 90% of it comrades will be dead to rout
    Orcs during Pellenor's charge started to mass rout after 10-15% were killed.

PS: I tested this morale situation on one unit versus one unit battles with no leaders/generals (mostly High Eleven archers against Orcs infantry).

PS2: I play 3.1 version.

KnightsTemplar's Avatar Campidoctor

Universal decrese in morale.
    This would put even more emphasis on the 'elite' units which will stand until the last men fell.
    The badass.

The difference between good and evil side, are their morale.
    The good will fight to their bitter end unless told to run-
    While the evil without watch of their masters would break at the first sight of failure.
    But when their master is watching, they will fight MUCH better- and even do the impossible(refer to Merry&Pippin's chapter)
    Last edited by KnightsTemplar; January 06, 2012 at 05:20 AM.
    Aure entuluva!

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Isn't this like easily done in EDU? I decreased the morale of the orc cannon fodder units

The good will fight to their bitter end unless told to run-
    While the evil without watch of their masters would break at the first sight of failure.
    Oh... that's wrong. If it was not wrong we would not need expressions "good" and "evil", we might use "brave" and "cowards" as their synonyms the basic orcs certainly were cowards, but not all of them, and certainly not all the evil forces generally :

Faramir: "His sens of duty was no less then yours, I deem."

Eaterlings kept on fighting after Barad Dur fell, it's in the book

While playing as Gondor I fought two battles at Minas Ithil, one as attacker and one as defender. In my opinion the walls of the fortress should be (at least partly) accesible for archers. This would add more tactical opportunities (especially for the defender).

I agree... if it's possible, it would be a good thing. I think those walls might work just like the Black Gate, be indestructible. (Am I right that the walls of Minas Tirith either can be destructible = they can be attacked by towers and ladders, or indestructible = cannot be attached by towers and ladders ? - if I am, than the walls of Minas Tirith really must stay destructible, but it's different for Minas Morgul)

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    You meen Gildor Inglorion for HE? I agree anyway
    I meant Galdor, the messenger who Cirdan sent to the council of Elrond

A very simplified version of the 'basic idea'....
    Anyone know if there's bonus in VH/VH that would make the morale things change?

The orcs are generally weak as we know- the Men of all kind have strong spirit, in 'evil' or 'good'.
    Aure entuluva!

Indefinitely Banned

Does the team even read this thread? You'd be as well starting new threads to get people's attention for your ideas.

Yes the team, also KK, does and picks good suggestions out of it

BrodY's Avatar Semisalis

I know this may be too much to ask, but is there any way for you guys to maybe make an optional "start"-file so that you actually start off with Arnor instead of the Eriador? Maybe swap those factions in the faction choice screen? I know many people love the Arnor-faction, but it's really a hassle to get it going I tried the submod "start as Arnor" from Baron, but it still didn't seem to work. Well, it worked, but everything was still pretty "Eriador"-ish? I know this is pretty immersion-breaking for a lot of people, so I won't nag too much ofc I still love this mod as is, but it's merely a question; is it possible? )

Thanks for an otherwise AWESOME mod. Haven't played M2TW so much since I installed it keep up the good work.
    Last edited by BrodY; January 06, 2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Typo...

Quote Originally Posted by BrodY View Post
    I know this may be too much to ask, but is there any way for you guys to maybe make an optional "start"-file so that you actually start off with Arnor instead of the Eriador? Maybe swap those factions in the faction choice screen? I know many people love the Arnor-faction, but it's really a hassle to get it going I tried the submod "start as Arnor" from Baron, but it still didn't seem to work. Well, it worked, but everything was still pretty "Eriador"-ish? I know this is pretty immersion-breaking for a lot of people, so I won't nag too much ofc I still love this mod as is, but it's merely a question; is it possible? )

Thanks for an otherwise AWESOME mod. Haven't played M2TW so much since I installed it keep up the good work.
    The 'Eriador-ish' is because of the hardcoded limitation.
    Sadly nothing can be done unless you use the 'Full Arnor Emergence' alternative.
    Or you can just make a big change and switch everything in the descr-strat to Arnor directly.
    Aure entuluva!

FC Groningen's Avatar Senator

Maybe it would be possible at the very least to have the starting culture somewhere around 30% dunedain and 70% northmen. Wouldn't consider that lore breaking, in case Arnor would (ever) be restored. Also, if you start off as Arnor/become Arnor on turn 1, it makes sense every building and unit so far, is still Eriador fashioned.

A simple little thing: There seems to be a little East-West-confusion.

The western part of Wold is called East Wold.
    The most western part of Rhun is called East Rhun.
    The most western part of Enedwaith is called East Enedwaith.

Shouldn't the name be changed to West in all these cases?

Also why are the Nazgul rings still not corrected? They are still called ring of Barahir since 1.0 though it seems to be the easiest thing to change that name...

EDIT: And the region Dor-en-Ernil is called "Dol-er-Ernil" in Third Age which is clearly just a reading error, but has been there since the first versions.

Also a name suggestion for the city of the Lossarnach region: Imloth Melui (where Ioreth the healer was from).
    Last edited by Hermes Trismegistos; January 11, 2012 at 05:43 AM.

Master Celeborn's Avatar Libertus

Is it possible to make an alternative Minas Ithil settlement when the Gondor retakes that city from Mordor and rebuil.

So, my apologize is to build a godd version of Minas Morgul?

In lore,when was Sauron defeated, Aragorn said that Minas Morgul have to be destroyed and it will take a long time till free people will be able to inhabit this place once again