Page 2 of 82 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Default Re: Suggestions

Here a suggestion and some ideas on the One Ring Script...

Better Isengard defenses
    (suggestion)

Isengard (the Iron Fortress) could do with some extra defense on the custom battle map imho. It hasn't got any active defensive mechanisms and the it's more difficult to defend / easier to capture than a standard town or castle, the garrison script aside.

My suggestions:
    1) more stable gate (or a second gate at the end of the archway)
    2) defensive projectiles (perhaps even artillery)
    3) some shacks and other buildings inside of Isengard that create easier to defend corridors to the town center
    4) remove ballista towers from Isengard's building list as they don't add extra defenses afaics

breakdown with pics

First of all - Isengard looks great, love it! :

The attacker can approach the walls without any auto-cannonade by Isengard's ring wall:

Perhaps these embrasure here or a suttle implementation of defense towers could be used for firing at the attacker (or do the custom battle maps have to be 100% as in the films?):

If the AI defends, it doesn't seem put much emphasis on manning the walls to brace for the attack (pathfinding issue?):

Perhaps a second gate at the end of the archeway is possible (or simply a stronger gate):

The inside of Isengard is, except for the really well done shafts, very open and it's difficult to stop the attacker from reaching the town center. Perhaps implementing some kind of shacks/buildings to create defensible corridors are a possibility?:

The One Ring script (only ideas)

I posted some ideas on additional 'One Ring script' features in Baron Samedi's thread, before I realised it's now officially part of vanilla TATW. Here is the link. They're crude and perhaps a little out of the box... so don't consider them to be a real proposal or suggestion. Only playing around a little.

Regards!
    Last edited by Casual Tactician; December 22, 2011 at 07:20 AM.

Gilthanus's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Tactician View Post
    Here a suggestion and some ideas on the One Ring Script...

Better Isengard defenses
    (suggestion)

Isengard (the Iron Fortress) could do with some extra defense on the custom battle map imho. It hasn't got any active defensive mechanisms and the it's more difficult to defend / easier to capture than a standard town or castle, the garrison script aside.

My suggestions:
    1) more stable gate (or a second gate at the end of the archway)
    2) defensive projectiles (perhaps even artillery)
    3) some shacks and other buildings inside of Isengard that create easier to defend corridors to the town center
    4) remove ballista towers from Isengard's building list as they don't add extra defenses afaics
    5) if any settlement/faction should have fire oil it should be Isengard, believe it's correct lore wise?

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

I have a small suggestion, change the snow top mountain texture, the shadows just don't look right.

1. The horse combat mechanics is not balanced. Some horse unit's charges are even weaker than infrantry's charges (Grey Company vs Battle-Ready Dunedain, and plenty more by looks of the EDU file). Given the velocity of ingame horses, this is not very realistic.

2. Untainted Hero script seems to miss some tainted traits like "fiscally challenged". Also, a character with "fair fighter" trait should not gain "winning first" trait later because these 2 are contradicting each other.

Oh forgot on or two suggestions im my earlier post:

1. I heard Barad-dur is being worked at (looking forward to the Dark Tower), and will these gorgeous custom battle maps from leo.civil.uefs also going to be implemented? The thread isn't stickied, aren't they official?
    2. Some extra Dunland units like the ones from FRoME (link) would be great for Isengard.
    3. Perhaps slightly larger floating unit banners? I like to play the battles without using pause and the green arrows markers, and it's very diffcult (but realistic though) to keep track of my units.
    4. The video shown when one of the evil faction's generals gets killed by a 'Servant of Sauron' is from vanilla M2TW, also the captain/officer of some of the rebel militia units seems to be a model from vanilla M2TW England. Perhaps these could be replaced?
    5. Some regions do lack mercenaries to recruit. Nothing fancy needed imo but at least some basic units to fill up ranks.
    6. Playing as evil faction it's difficult to outmanoeuvre (or mob up fleeing) enemy infantry, as even light units like the Snaga skimishers can't catch/outrun heavy infantry. Same goes for all light skirmisher units I guess. Perhaps they could be made faster or get the very_hardy or hardy attribute.
    7. I also like the already mentioned ideas of more uniqueness for OotMM and OoG, the hobbitses lands controlled by bandits/rebels at start, Isengard and Rohan not at war at game start, physician or doctor ancillary for generals and forest paths for SE.

@ 'no capital moving fee' > What about using "add_money 5000"? Problem solved. Moving a capital does cost money for transport, new buildings or conversions and the like, so 5000 seems a fair price.

Quote Originally Posted by VltimaRatio View Post
    How about giving Mordor catapults the option of firing human heads at the enemy instead of a cow carcass, which does little damage but lowers enemy morale? Consistent with both the novel and the film, could be a nice gimmick for the orc factions.
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilthanus View Post
    Something minor to add to the patch, could the requirements for rebuilding Osgiliath be added to the lore books just as an FYI for new players; the Arnor reunification requirements could also be added to the lore book for Bree or Annúminas.
    Good idea. I didn't even know you could rebuild Osgiliath. Having these requirements and other important infos on faction specific events/mechanics/gameplay-features (unknown to TATW noobs) in the capitals' lore books would be great.

Regards!
    Last edited by Casual Tactician; December 22, 2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: added suggestion 6 for faster skirmishers units

smthhappy's Avatar Decanus

Well at first i must say that TATW is the best mod I've played and i really really enjoy it.So I have a couple of suggestions.
    1. Remove AI's pop grow buff it's quite annoying at turn 100 to have none upgraded settlement to a city playing with Gondor and almost all of Harad's settlements to be cities it's quite unrealistic.
    2. Make the Grey Company Heavy Cav and when Aragorn switch to Gondor they should be his bodyguard units.
    3. Remake the family trees make Imrahil a general. Also i think that everybody wants to see Aragorn married to Arwen no to Adel(who the is she??) so i think i have a solution to the problem. Enable the princess for HE and at the begging of the campaign put her near Bree with Eriador diplomat next to her so if you are a human player you can marry her to Aragorn.
    4. You should add another dunedain unit to Eriador smth like Veteran Dunedain to be the last tier of Eriador units so if you continue without restoring Arnor you will have late elite unit.
    5. Remake Minas Morgul. It looks extremly good but there isn't enough room to use your units properly.And maybe there should be little changes in osgiliath cuz when the enemy attack you they send a couple of units to the other door.
    6. Increase the numbers or the stamina of the Royal Guard for Rohan.It's obvious that they are weaker than the Dunedains and the Elves but they are sure better than Harad's and Rhun's horseman.
    That's all from me.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Actually the rhunnic and haradrim riders where amongst the best in ME
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

They were but the rohirrim were better. In the books they won against the haradrim..
    Last edited by smthhappy; December 22, 2011 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brapollo View Post
    The fee for changing the capital is kind of unnecessary. It doesn't add anything to the game play, it just takes 5000 from some of the factions at different points in the game. Trying to figure out if the math works (capital changing fee vs. distance-from-capital penalties vs. current income) isn't particularly fun.

Also, the custom settlements should be harder, not easier, to attack than regular settlements. I imagine tweaks could be made to improve them, awesome as they are already.

Doctor, or doctor equivalent, for every race. It's just far too important of an ancillary.

Silvan elves should get cool elven names like the High elves.

But overall, I love this mod and the 3.1 changes have been great. Even if it's geared towards those of us who like to micromanage for every possible settlement growth benefit and not towards the casual player.
    I think the fee is important.

Before you could change the capital to change the destination of troops for missions. This was a bit silly.

Also, it makes sense that moving the capital should be costly.

I think this change was necessary.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

@smthhappy: It's not about the rohirrim being better, it's that they could field a larger cavalry force. And a huge cavalry force in advancement wont be stopped easily, even by another charging cavalry force. Also Theoden took the red serpent by suprise, and therefore had that advantage as well.

loving the mod as always.

only a few requests: all the custom settlements are incerdible especially minas tirith and rivendell (very immersive) love osgiliath evnethough it's a bit empty (those empty spaces where no soliders can go through are very strange) i am conscious the work on these settlement must have been very long, too bad we can't use the bridges.

so now concerning those custom settlements, i would suggest to concentrate on the cities which are attacked the most often such as cair andros and linhir for gondor (played HE and gondor and HE are only attacked in Imladris for now).

perhaps it would be possible for people on the forums to propose you some city maps (made by themselves for cities with not much information from tolkien such as linhir and cair andros - no maps?) in this thread?
    you (KK) could choose the one which seems the most doable for the engine, tactically challenging enough and bringing other challenges when defending such settlements...

and again bravo for this magnificent mod.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gilthanus View Post
    Something minor to add to the patch, could the requirements for rebuilding Osgiliath be added to the lore books just as an FYI for new players; the Arnor reunification requirements could also be added to the lore book for Bree or Annúminas.

Re: the insturctions for the reunification of Arnor, can the regions required be named either by region name or city name rather than both (please apply to other similar faction quests).
    eg: Swanfleet to North Arthedain & Breeland to Mitheitel OR Tharbad to Arthilm & Bree to Hoarwell.

Also, spelling error for the "Major(Mayor?) of Bree" ancillary?
    Also the requirements for reunited kingdom for gondor?

ajak60's Avatar Biarchus

minor suggestion that has nothing to do with gameplay itself... making the scrolls in the cities visible at all times just like the walls/castle are... want to read some of those w/o walking an army next to the city or playing as that faction. dont think it would impact anything except be nice for the player to look at!

francis86's Avatar Decanus

It would be awesome to have more men unit in the gundabad faction cause they are the faction i like the most to play due to his history and some men unit would be awesome,only suggestion,dont want a lot of people saying lore inaccurate lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    @smthhappy: It's not about the rohirrim being better, it's that they could field a larger cavalry force. And a huge cavalry force in advancement wont be stopped easily, even by another charging cavalry force. Also Theoden took the red serpent by suprise, and therefore had that advantage as well.
    Still in being outnumbered a lot they defeated the haradrims..

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

For the reasons I mentionsed already. The power of a cavalry charge does not ly in the power off the horse, but rather that the infantry line breaks of fear when lots of horses rides towards you. The horses smell the fear and gets encouraged. If the line holds, the horse will stop and throw the rider away.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by francis86 View Post
    It would be awesome to have more men unit in the gundabad faction cause they are the faction i like the most to play due to his history and some men unit would be awesome,only suggestion,dont want a lot of people saying lore inaccurate lol
    250 is the hardcoded limit for a unit size (minus the banners this is)

Yarrum's Avatar Ducenarius

Since one of the big map-overhauling aspects of 3.0 was expanding navigable rivers, I think it's time someone made a fair case for Thranduil's Halls. I think that the settlement should be physically moved to the Forest River, which it was built over in the books, and the river should be expanded to allow river trade to the Long Lake. As seen in The Hobbit, trade, predominantly of wine and foodstuffs, between Thranduil's Halls and Esgaroth played a huge role both from an economic and a diplomatic sense, and that relationship should be reflected in the mod. Also, wine should be added as a resource to Thranduil's Halls.

On the subject of the Rhovanion factions, I think more attention should be given to the interactions between Mirkwood, Dale and Erebor. Perhaps there should be some sort of benefit to establishing the Rhovanion Alliance between the three kingdoms, though I don't really know what that would entail, and I know the Kalmar Union script is already being used for Arnor.
    Last edited by Yarrum; December 22, 2011 at 06:49 PM.

For the reasons I mentionsed already. The power of a cavalry charge does not ly in the power off the horse, but rather that the infantry line breaks of fear when lots of horses rides towards you. The horses smell the fear and gets encouraged. If the line holds, the horse will stop and throw the rider away.
    No you're wrong. If it was the case then the infantery would never fear the horses and would always hold their lines against cavalery. Just try to hold a line with a 1200 lbs horse that charges you, and especially if it's an armored horse. If you look at battle descriptions from the medieval era, you will see that cavalry was used as front lines a lot. The only times they would not engage an infantery in close, long, combat was when this infantery was armed with pikes. A fully armored knights that can view above the battle field (so that can clearly view what is happening around), that mounts a completely berserk 1200 lbs that tramples everywere is just impossible to approach with just a swords (most soldier are just paralysed from the fear before even approaching the knight). Knight, for exemple, were considered as the elite shock troups of the armies, invincible in close combat.

ajak60's Avatar Biarchus

horse and rider charges, people die... cant get any simpler than that