Page 7 of 82 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Suggestions

I started a new dwarven campaign christmas eve, and I'm currently at turn 90. It's going good, Balin has occupied Gundabad and parts of old Angmar. One thing I'm missing tho is an AoR unit for Ered Luin. Its really hard around turn 70/80 to fight Gundabad without the proffesional units of Erebor, Iron Guard and Erebor Axemen. Thorins Halls and Kibil Dum are to small to create these units the first 150 turns, even if pop growth is OK. A low tier AoR should really spice things up, and Gimli wouldnt get stuck around Pitkäranta. I had an idea about this unit also:
    Wandering Smiths from Ered Luin.
    A lighter version of Iron Guard, available from the beginning in Kibil Dum and large town Thorins halls. These would be the dwarves who before the battle of five armies wandered ME in search for money/work. When they heard of the return of the king under the mountain, they hurried back to Ered Luin, to pick up arms in eventual wars against Sauron and the minions of evil that lurk in the Misty Mountains.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

KnightsTemplar's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Lux View Post
    Original Mithlond Nobles. A mix of elven and arnorian pieces doesn't make an okay osgiliath unit IMO.
    Ahh...
    I recognize these....
    One of the variations of the Nobles, put Arnorian-esque helm, plus pauldrons and strap on a pike- New unit DONE!

This unit have some sort of question in my mind 'in design'-
    What are their 'context'?
    Were they 'totally new' units of the 'reborn Gondor'/RK?
    Or old guards of the original Osgiliath that are reactivated?
    They would look different, in different context IMO.
    Aure entuluva!

I know, this thread is not really for discussion, but regarding the guards of osgiliath:
    Please don't get too much AOR-units in there. For me, they are a candy and not an inflationary resource. Gondor has enough AORs I think.
    And there are wishes lurking around this forum, to have guards or even whole rosters for nearly every single city in the (sometimes former) realms of Gondor.
    Remember, we have until now: m+dm Swanknights, Pelargir-Marines, Lossarnach Axemen, Blackroot-Vale-Archers, Fountain-Guard, Rangers of Ithilien.
    That are nearly as much AORs than all other factions together (atention: exaggeration!).
    I know, this shall underline the feudal gondorian system, but too much is too much, too.

but for the developement of this unit - if you really want it:
    Knights Templer has made a good point:
    old or new guards?

OLD
    "historically" seen, I think Gondor has (and had) one elite-troop to guard the King/Steward: the (in the Third Age called) Fountain-Guard.
    In those days, as the Kings reigned Gondor from Osgiliath, those guards were stationed there of course. Now in the Third Age they are surely located at the "nowadays" states capitol: Minas Tirith. Perhaps the style of the Guard itself changed over the decades, but if you want to represent them in game as a Guard of old, then there should be many interferences with the Fountain-Guard - perhaps just a differentiation in the crest oft the Helmets, the armament or a slightly colour-difference of the cape, etc.

NEW
    For the future there could be the argument to let the Fountain-Guard serve as a guard for the Steward (Faramir) and (re)establish a (new) guard for the King. Then, the design is absolutely free for sure.
    But the actual Osgiliath-Guard looks really way too elvish

Indefinitely Banned

Gondor deserves the extra units since there doing most of the fighting I do agree the Gondor roster is a bit bloated, but was sorta hoping for an extra unit for Osgiliath, especially since its my favourite custom settlement, just didn't think it was on the cards because of your given reason. It may just need tweaking, but it would be a perfect opportunity to give the player an AOR unit that is recruitable early on in the frontier settlement of Osgiliath, my main gripe with AOR units is the time taken it get them, My swan knights tend to enter the fray late campaign, just because its not a frontier settlement which needs military fundings.

IMO Osigiliath should be given an AOR unit that is recruitable early on with the 3rd barrack level? The player will be able to get far more use out of the unit,

an idea i had, i mentioned in post 74, but if a spear unit, or similar unit is preferred like the fountain guard, atleast make them recruitable early on, just reduce the unit size quite a bit, to show they are a "ad hoc" unit that aren't never fully up to strength, hopefully making them good in defence situation, like settlements, were the few can hold the many, but at a disadvantage because of the much smaller numbers of being overwhealmed on the battlefield
    Last edited by AgentGB; December 27, 2011 at 01:09 PM.

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...2#post10743632

Taro just previewed his veterans, he'll release his mod as a resource and once he does that it will be much easier to improve Gondor units and make new ones.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Lux View Post
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...2#post10743632

Taro just previewed his veterans, he'll release his mod as a resource and once he does that it will be much easier to improve Gondor units and make new ones.
    wow! very nice veteran models
    Last edited by AgentGB; December 27, 2011 at 01:47 PM.

FC Groningen's Avatar Senator

Just something I thought of after watching the second lord of the rings movie.

My idea of how Isengard could be revamped:

I'm not completely up to date on the exact dates of the important events, so bear with me. As far as I know, the game starts not too long after the last White Counsil. Also, I believe Saruman was the one that started to search for the One Ring first while he deceived all other parties it was lost forever. Sauron himself found out the truth of the One Ring much later after he captured Gollum.

I would suggest to have Isengard start out like in MOS for 2.1 (last version of MOS I played) which includes Dunland which was a real country back then and not yet under the influence of Isengard. Isengard starts out with friendly relationships with Gondor, the Elves, Rohan and no good faction would ever dream of attacking Isengard. The Evil factions will leave Isengard alone as well since they are well aware that Saruman is plotting against the Free People of Middle Earth already. Contact with the Dark Lord had already been established by the use of the Palantir. While wars around Middle Earth start to erupt, Isengard will be left alone for now. (The player will have to turtle to play as Isengard)

While the other factions are busy with fighting war, including Dunland, Isengard is trying to archieve its own goals in secret. For example, Isengard will seek properties (provinces) along the Anduin. Saruman knew the One Ring faded out of knowledge there and thus seeks to expand his power there. The moment Isengard takes two provinces alongside the northern parts of the Anduin (might have to implent a script to prevent AI factions from taking all settlements there), Isengard will be shown the location of the One Ring.

Steps to power for Saruman:

First step: Obtain knowledge of the One Ring.

Second step: Obtain approval of the Dark Lord. Get an alliance with Mordor and Dunland. Isengard will be a faction that can maintain two faces to the outside world, so their allies won't "know" of Isengard's alliance with others. The alliances with Gondor, the Elves and Rohan remains intact for now.

Third step: Build an army, worthy of Mordor. Build "the great furnace" in Isengard, which allows the recruitment of Uruk units. (Similar building like "the Great Bridge for Gondor) and start the recruitment of an army to overrun Rohan.

Fourth step: Gain a foothold in Rohan. Before the war with Rohan and the other Free People can start, you see if you can weaken Rohan before the war even starts. Bribe Grima wormtongue or have him "killed" with an assassin (A grima wormtongue in Isengard's service will spawn immediately after if you kill him). The Authority of the King of Rohan will be undermined greatly and Rohan will suffer a financial penalty. Rohan won't attack you back for ten turns after you declare war on them.

Fifth step: "There will be no dawn, for men." You can now declare war on "allies" without sending a diplomat to break the alliance. Start the war with Rohan.

Sixth step: "Burn every village!" AI Dunland will join your faction the moment you take Gineard, Adorn and Derwath and call for an invasion on the Hornburg. In case these settlements are already under Dunland's control or if the Hornburg is already yours, these conditions are already met.

Seventh step: "There is only one Lord of the Ring and he does NOT share power." Get the ring in your possession and give it to Saruman. Isengard as a whole gains a massive economical bonus, it will be able to recruit all available "evil mercenary units" and it will have a monopoly on calling invasions. No evil faction may declare war on Isengard, unless Isengard declares war on that faction.

Also for Mordor, have them look for the One Ring as well, by trying to track down Gollum. They need to take Beorn's halls (the area Isildur died) and Amon Gastal to receive word of where Gollum currently resides. The moment he is found, he can be captured by "assassinating him", making the Gollum agent in the map disappear and become a ancillary of the Assassin that killed him. (In other words, gollum was captured) After, Gollum needs to brought back to Barad Dur. After three turns of torture, Gollum will disclose the location of the One Ring and Mordor can start the hunt on the Ringbearer.

FC Groningen's Avatar Senator

O yeah, Isengard will always find the One Ring with one of the Eriador generals/hobbits. That way you can always "take the hobbits to Isengard "

I think that the high level of corruption is one of the biggest problems, because it slowed the game , especially at the major fractions.Moreover, corruption impedes the process of state building and provides less revenue.Above all, the differences with the Elves and the Haradrim are huge, since the Elves have much smaller areas with lots of resources, corruption is also much lower than in the Haradrim, so that the Elves have it much easier to raise money.I think that the team of King Kong should try to reduce corruption, especially in the major regions.Nevertheless, there is still a great game.

Default Osgiliath

Hey guys Im new here, best mod ever^^

What do you think about Osgiliath. All walls are destroyed but 2 gates still stay there? And there are only 2 ways out of Osgiliath and these are this 2 gates. All walls all destroyed so in my eye there should be more ways to go out of osgiliath and not only these 2 gates, that makes in my eye no sense and looks a bit stupid^^

Is it possible to destory at least 1 wall completely so my army can move in and out from there, and at least 1 gate should be removed completely to give more place for big fights.

So please revamp Osgiliath, if this is possible or is it hardcoded?

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

I think you bump into some game limitations there

Hi, why not replacing (if possible) "rotting cow carcass" projectiles by human heads for evil factions catapults? (It would of course have an effect on enemy's morale)

For the future, I would like to see more generic settlements. The custom settlements are awesome, no doubt, but I feel like all the important settlements are covered. What now I think would be the cherry on top would if all factions that need new generic settlements would get them.
    For example, the model for Cirith Ungol I've seen in one of the threads further down would do perfectly for a generic orc castle. I don't think it will 'rape the lore' if you leave all human races with (incl. Harad and Rhûn), but castles for dwarfes, orks and elves would greatly add to the perfection

(I haven't played all, or even close to half, of the custom settlements yet and please forgive if some factions already have their custom generic settlements)

They will and they are still working on it

PLZ fix corruption... when i make LAW builds i have more corruption........... WTF? XD
    i suggest remove all vanilla units like woodsmen from bandits rebel and english captain from rebels
    plz edit unit size for balrogs.. 7 balrogs is too big i cant destroy with silvan elves

Quote Originally Posted by kheizzer View Post
    PLZ fix corruption... when i make LAW builds i have more corruption........... WTF? XD
    i suggest remove all vanilla units like woodsmen from bandits rebel and english captain from rebels
    plz edit unit size for balrogs.. 7 balrogs is too big i cant destroy with silvan elves
    This submod is said to reduce corruption, haven't tried it though
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=503081
    On the other subject, the 7 balrogs are due to game limitations although there is a way to make them only one

I havent yet tested the 3.0 nor 3.1 but I would suggest that there would be a whole new section called Research that you could direct some funds to. (However I am not sure if that is possible without porting this mod to Empire Total War).

Some areas of Research could include:

- Orc Breeding: possible to evil factions only. Would allow recruitment of orc units. Will have very hinderful effect on relations with Free Peoples (Mordor already has this)
    - Mumakil Husbandry: allows recruitment of mumakil units (Harad already has this)
    - Gunpowder: Allows you to blow up enemy fortifications and to use explosive ammunition for catapults.
    - Slaves: gives a boost to your economy. Only available to evil factions. Will have harmful effect on relations with Free Peoples. (Mordor already has this).
    - Advanced Stoneworking: only possible to gain by sending a spy to Dwarven factions or by negotiating with Dwarves. Will allow construction of mighty cities and fortresses kinda similar than Minas Tirith. (Dwarves already have this).
    - Advanced weaponsmithing: only possible to gain by sending a spy to Gondor or Elves or negotiating with them.
    - Advanced armorsmithing: only possible to gain by sending a spy to Gondor or Elves or negotiating with them. (These two techs will allow blacksmiths to make armor and weapons of very superior quality. Only Elves and Gondor have them).
    - Heavy Infantry: For good factions it allows heavy infantry like Gondor has and dismounted knights and for evil factions it would allow Uruk Hai (with Orc Breedind) or Easterling heavy infantry or Dunlending dismounted knights depending on your faction. It would take a long time for Haradrim to be able to search for this and it would not be wise to use Haradrim heavy infantry in any areas with hot summers during summertime. (Gondor already has this)
    - Heavy Cavalry: self explaining (Gondor already has this but can make them only in Dol Amroth. Rohan has it too.)
    - Light Cavalry: self explaining (Rohan and Harad already have it)
    - Rangers: Allows building of military units specialized in secretly travelling in less than very friendly areas and ambushing enemies (Gondor already has this)
    - Warg Husbandry: Only possible to evil factions, allows recruitment of Wargs. Harms relations with Free Peoples
    - Warg Riders: Only possible to evil factions, allows recruitment of Warg Riders but requires Warg husbandry and Orc breeding first. Harms relations with Free Peoples.
    - Half-Orc breeding: Only possible to evil factions. Very much strains relations with all Free Peoples factions if you use Half-Orc units against one of them. Similar than ordinary orcs but fight slightly better and fear sunlight a little less.
    - Severed head ammunition: Allows you to fire severed heads with catapults. Some enemy units may suffer morale penalty and perhaps even rout, some may suffer discipline penalty and attack in rage without orders.
    - Call The Balrogs: Only possible to Mordor because they are only used to serve anyone who is The Dark Lord. Could be researched only with high cost and lots of time spent. Will summon any balrogs still left in Middle Earth to Mordors service. Can only have small number of dragons in service at a time. Totally destroys any goodwill and diplomatic relations from Free Peoples.
    - Call The Dragons: Only possible to Isengard and Mordor. Will summon any dragons still left in Middle Earth to Mordors and Isengards service. Can only have a small number of dragons in service at a time. Lots of time and money will be required to research it. Any friendly feelings Free Peoples may have towards the faction will instantly plummet to zero.
    - Awaken Mount Doom: Only possible to Mordor. Needs to be activated from separate button after researched. Once activated, any battle occurring in Gondor or Rohan as far as Westfold or any part of Mordor that lies to the west of Mt. Doom, will take place at night causing orcs and trolls to lose any penalties they get when fighting in daytime. Only lasts for a limited time and once it ends, will have to wait at least for ten turns until you can activate it again.
    - Shipbuilding: Will allow building of ships (Gondor, High Elves and Haradrim already have it).
    - Advanced Industry: Gives great boost to building (especially with Slaves researched) with further increases when you build furnace and workshop that this research will allow you to build. Possible to both, good and evil factions but will slightly hurt relations with Free Peoples regardless of your side/allegiance and it will be devastating to environment possibly even causing forests to become smaller but it will increase tradeable goods and things that will improve industry in the immediate vinicity of your settlements. Will infuriate ents and huorns and put you at risk of an onslaught from them...a factor to be remembered especially if you have areas near Fangorn or Old Forest that is close to Shire or other parts of what once used to be the huge forest that Numenoreans destroyed. (Isengard probably has this already researched at the start of the game)
    - Pipeweed Cultivation: Will set up pipeweed fields close to your settlements and make them a tradeable resorce.
    - Heir of Elendil: Only researchable to Gondor. Once this is researched, it will give all Gondorian units a humongous discipline and morale bonus and settlements will be much less likely to fall into civil disorder. Will add Aragorn as a family member to Gondor. Will give further negative traits to any ruling steward and their offspring with the trait Proud (or any traits indicating he is accustomed to having lots of power and unwilling to give it up). Aragorn, (or any of his offspring if he dies), will be crowned king of Gondor as soon as Mordor is destroyed as a faction. Aragorn will be renamed Elessar upon claiming his office as the king of Gondor.
    - Conscription: Possible to everyone. Will make recruiting units faster and cheaper but their morale and discipline will be weaker.
    - Standing Army: Possible to everyone except evil factions. Will make units slower and more expensive to recruit but soldiers will be more professional. You should be able to choose recruiting policies by pressing the button somewhere. Conscription and Standing Army could not be chosen at one time. They would be mutually exclusive. Units would have the same strengths and weaknesses for many turns if you first start building them during one policy and then toggle another policy when they are built or when building is still incomplete.

In less than civilized cultures (such as Rhun or Mordor), researchers would be called alchemists, scholars etc. In more civilized cultures, such as Gondor, they would be called scientists.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

It's probably hardcoded and impossible to post to Empire, Napoleon or Shogun2. Unless you want to play in europe or japan
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Perhaps look at The Lord of the Rings Online (set up a free account) to get inspiration no how Thorin's Halls would look like. http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Thorin%27s_Hall and http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Thorin%27s_Gate

It would be a great place to defend, for they would have bash up gate to get into Thorin's Gate.

And have to go up huge sets as well as bash through a gate to get inside Thorin's Halls, and then capture the city by placing men near the throne.

Also have town genetic Dwarven cities and towns looking like Gondamon. And maybe some more types of dwarf units only for Dwarves units, like Dwarves heavily armoured with War Hammers which are you can only get at max barracks level and are quite rare and can only be recruited in Thorin's Halls.
    Last edited by Rush; December 28, 2011 at 02:35 PM.

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

Default You what I would like to see....

a small submod that does make any major changes to TATW 3.2, cause some do, just small enough to add a few extra units to each Factions, except Gondor they are loaded, in my opinion. Maybe a few extra mercs like the Lossoth in the far north. No major changes just a few extra units. I would love to see the Rhun chariots that would be cool.