Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday Imperator Diocletianus.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Happy Birthday Imperator Diocletianus.

CAESAR GAIUS AURELIVS VALERIVS DIOCLETIANVS AUGUSTVS PATER PATRIAE IOVIVS PONTIFEX MAXIMUS

ADIABENICUS, ARMENICUS MAXIMUS, BRITANNICUS MAXIMUS II, GERMANICUS MAXIMUS V, GOTHICUS MAXIMUS, MEDICUS MAXIMUS, PARTHICUS MAXIMUS, PERSICUS MAXIMUS II, RESTITUTOR ORBIS II, CONSERVATOR ORBIS II, SARMATICUS MAXIMUS IV
    TRIBUNICIAE POTESTATES XX, CONSUL X, SALUTATIONES IMPERATORIAE XXI

- Imperator from 20 November of the year 284 AD, to 1 May of the year 305 AD.
    - Diocles was born ('probably' is a very important word when we look at the biography of Diocletianus) on December 22 of the year 244, in the city of Salona, his father was a libertus of the Senator Anullinus.
    - Before 270 he entered in the army. Served in Gaul, in the times of Aurelianus and Probus. In 280 was Dux Moesiae. In 282 under Marcus Aurelius Carus was Domesticos Regens or Commander of the Protectores Domestici.
    - In 283 took part in the successful expedition of the Emperor Carus aginst the Persians. In August 283 Carus died, and the army was led, on the slow way back home, by his son Numerianus, who in turn died near Nicomedia.
    - On November 20 of the year 284 Diocles was acclaimed Imperator, by his fellows Officers and Tribunes, on a hill near Nicomedia.
    - The Emperor Diocletianus defeated the brother of Numerianus, in the battle of the river Margus (284/'85). Then reached Italy, now his power was undisputed.
    - In the year 285 in Mediolanum, Diocletianus raised his colleague Maximianus to the rank of Augustus thus creating the Diarchy, the Imperial power was divided between two Augusti, Diocletianus in the East which capital was fixed in Nicomedia, Maximianus in the West with capital Mediolanum, in this way the turbolent sitution in the empire could be controlled better.
    - In Mediolanum in the year 287, the two Augusti, trought a religious cerimony, took the two divine dedications: Diocletianus to Jupiter and Maximianus to Hercules. In this way, their sanctified power, became stronger.
    - The Diarchic system became the Tetrarchy, in 293. Diocletianus appointed Galerius his heir and Caesar for the East. Maximianus did the same with Constantius Clorus for the West. Now the Empire was divided in four parts each consistuted of three new formed Diocesis, which replaced the old division of Augustus. In the new system the military administration was separated from the civil administration.
    - During his reign, Diocletianus promoted several reforms: Reform of the Army, Economic and Fiscal Reforms, Political and Administrative Reforms, he started great construction programs, and tried to restore the moral and religious values of the Ancient Roman Tradition. The Empire was restored also in its military role, Diocletianus fight during his reign the internal and external enemies: Defeated the Sarmatians and the Carpi in several campaigns (285/299), the Alemans in 288, defeated two rebellions in Egypt, sustained his Caesar Galerius, in his wars against the Sassanids, Galerius conquered in 299 Cthesifon, and obtained a peace treaty that lasted a long time.
    -In 301 trying to stop the inflaction, promulgated the Edict about Prices, in which were fixed the prices of the most common goods.
    -From the year 303 started the great Persecution against the Christians, who in his opinion undermined the basis of the Roman society and moral system.
    - In the year 305, Diocletianus volunatary (the only Roman emperor who voluntary left the power), left the power to his Caesar Galerius and retired himself to private life, in his wonderful palace in Spalato; he never returned to the political life. Maximianus did the same thing in Mediolanum in the same day!
    - In the year 311 Diocletianus peacefully died in his palace at Spalato (Dalmatia).

This tread was not intended to tell the history of Gaius Valerius Diocletianus, it would be beyond my abilities and interests, but only to recall the figure of one of the greatest Roman Imperatores, he wasn't an aristocratic or an intellectual noble Roman, he was a soldier coming from a low class family and from the periphry of the Empire, he served Rome for something like forty years, and this is the true important value of his life: the word 'Service', he intended the political power like a service to the State, and let me say: this is not a small thing when we speak about politic, which is commonly seen only as a form of self-affirmation.
    Diocles, the Illirian soldier son of a libertus, saved the Roman Empire from the annihilation, restored the Roman State from the ruins of a century of civil wars, reformed like a great politician the administrative, military and political structure of the Empire, gave Rome twenty years of peace and growth, then, like a soldier reaching retirement age, he, the great Caesar Gaius Valerius Aurelius Diocletianus Augustus, retired to private life!

So I want to greet his memory using our ancestors Language:

SET QVIA SVNT MANES

VALE ATQVE VALE DIOCLETIANVS

HABEBIS MEMORIAM AETERNAM

SIT TIBI TERRA LEVIS

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Default Re: Happy Birthday Imperator Diocletianus.

Bravo! A worthy emperor and one deserving of a toast or two. I raise a glass of port to his memory!

Yup : He was one of history finnest emperor. It is only a shame he was not born earlier.

Envers et contre tous...et c'est tant mieux ainsi ! Ze political profile

I Believe, he Died of natural causes in 316 at Split.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Quote Originally Posted by Diocletianus View Post
    Yup : He was one of history finnest emperor. It is only a shame he was not born earlier.
    Well it's just as well he was born when he was as he almost singlehandedly saved the Empire and his reforms lasted for many centuries.
    In my view, next to Augustus he is perhaps the greatest roman emperor.
    Oh, and yes, Happy Birthday Diocletianus.

Date of Birth | 245 AD (Julian calendar) (1766 years ago)
    Date of Death | 316 AD (Julian calendar) (age: 71 years) ►(1695 years ago)
    Place of Death | Solin, Split-Dalmacija, Croatia
    •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    Notable Facts:

► Negotiated succesful and lasting peace with the Persian empire and greatly expanded the bureacracy of the Roman empire
    ► Reformed tax codes to keep the Roman empire economically viable
    ► Established official policy of violently persecuting Christianity throughout the empire
    Last edited by Cyrus Da Great; December 21, 2011 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by julianus heraclius View Post
    Well it's just as well he was born when he was as he almost singlehandedly saved the Empire and his reforms lasted for many centuries.
    In my view, next to Augustus he is perhaps the greatest roman emperor.
    Oh, and yes, Happy Birthday Diocletianus.
    I agree with JH: Augustus and Diocletianus: The Founder and the Re-founder and Savior of the Roman Empire, the two greatest of the Caesars!
    Can I add that Diocletianus was the only one Roman Emperor who voluntary gave up the power? We all know this fact, but the real importance of this action was potentially great, it could offer a new model for the trasmission of the power in the Empire, in this way Diocletianus offered an alternative both to the Civil Wars and the Dynastic Succession. The history followed a different way but we cannot forget the quality of the model which Diocletianus was offering to the Roman's political powers, the Exercitus and the Senatorial aristocracy, which unfortunately, were not able to follow the exemple of Diocletianus.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Da Great View Post
    Date of Birth | 245 AD (Julian calendar) (1766 years ago)
    Date of Death | 316 AD (Julian calendar) (age: 71 years) ►(1695 years ago)
    Place of Death | Solin, Split-Dalmacija, Croatia
    •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    Notable Facts:

► Negotiated succesful and lasting peace with the Persian empire and greatly expanded the bureacracy of the Roman empire
    ► Reformed tax codes to keep the Roman empire economically viable
    ► Established official policy of violently persecuting Christianity throughout the empire

What is your source?

Envers et contre tous...et c'est tant mieux ainsi ! Ze political profile

The dates about the first years of the life of the Emperor Diocletianus are dubtful and someone suggests different dates, the same for the last years of his life; I gave the most common and accreditated dates, and like Diocletianus said, also I'm courious about the source used by Cyrus, but all these figures are of little importance respect to the memory we must have of that great Roman!

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

A small gift for you Diocle, a new picture of Diocletianus:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

For other pictures check this blog:
    http://angelgpinto.blogspot.com/

Dear tomySVK, you are a real genius!!!!!
    You find always wonderful images, and this artist is fantastic, he uses the old dear pencils!!!! Great works thank you very much, I think that Diocletinus himself would please this wonderful image/s!!

+ rep!! o.c.

Knonfoda's Avatar I came, I read, I wrote

Indeed, brilliant picture, +rep!

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Agreed!

Now that's some fine artwork indeed.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post
    A small gift for you Diocle, a new picture of Diocletianus:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

For other pictures check this blog:
    http://angelgpinto.blogspot.com/
    I think I just got told off like a bawss...

CAESAR GAIUS AURELIVS VALERIVS DIOCLETIANVS AUGUSTVS PATER PATRIAE IOVIVS PONTIFEX MAXIMUS
    ADIABENICUS, ARMENICUS MAXIMUS, BRITANNICUS MAXIMUS II, GERMANICUS MAXIMUS V, GOTHICUS MAXIMUS, MEDICUS MAXIMUS, PARTHICUS MAXIMUS, PERSICUS MAXIMUS II, RESTITUTOR ORBIS II, CONSERVATOR ORBIS II, SARMATICUS MAXIMUS IV
    TRIBUNICIAE POTESTATES XX, CONSUL X, SALUTATIONES IMPERATORIAE XXI

Another year passed, I read another book about him, I lived another year in this crazy world, and never as now, the figure of Diocletian it seems to me that of a politician among the best of Roman history, politics and power as a service to the public should be a value even for us today, so eternal memory to a great and good man, able to retire from the most powerful position of the world to private life.

SET QVIA SVNT MANES
    VALE ATQVE VALE DIOCLETIANVS
    HABEBIS MEMORIAM AETERNAM
    SIT TIBI TERRA LEVIS

Wow, same day as the apocalypse.

IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar.

Rinan's Avatar Centenarius

D'oh! Just a few days late to celebrate Diocletianus' birthday. But let me use the oppertunity to wish everyone and Diocletianus a merry Dies Natalis Solis Invictus, and Happy Apocalypse day, all three of which I'm 2 days late!

Happy Birthday, Caesar.

Diocle what good book about him do you recommend?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast