Thread: Why are there so many types of phalangite units?

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Default Why are there so many types of phalangite units?

I was playing as the Seleucid Empire in what seems a very interesting campaign. However, it kinda troubles me to see 4 different types of phalangites. Levy phalangites, katoikoi phalangites, pezhetairoi and argyraspidae. As far as I am aware the Seleucids deployed only katoikoi and argyraspidae phalangites. So, why do we need the rest?
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

Default Re: Why are there so many types of phalangite units?

You COULD say the same thing about the Romans in RS2.. why 28 different legions... well I quess that its just awesome. Cant make more out of it.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Diversity, Fun, Coolness, not to mention some of those might be AOR.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel I Komnenos View Post
    I was playing as the Seleucid Empire in what seems a very interesting campaign. However, it kinda troubles me to see 4 different types of phalangites. Levy phalangites, katoikoi phalangites, pezhetairoi and argyraspidae. As far as I am aware the Seleucids deployed only katoikoi and argyraspidae phalangites. So, why do we need the rest?
    A Seleukid taxis of Chrysaspides is mentioned by Polybius marching in the Daphnae parade of 166 BC (see sekunda (1994b) 14-15)
    Then of course there is the Peltophoroi this could possibly also mean Pezhetairoi armed differently torest of phalanx !The reference to Pelte has nothing to do - in my opinion -of throwing javalins, but is refering to the smaller sheild. The Selukid army during the Bakrian campaign (208) had 10000 Peltasts or Caetrati and at Magnesia 4000 (Livy 37.40.14)
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; December 22, 2011 at 07:58 AM.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Lt.Speirs View Post
    You COULD say the same thing about the Romans in RS2.. why 28 different legions... well I quess that its just awesome. Cant make more out of it.
    It could be the same if the phalanx was divided in taxeis. The taxeis were usually recruited in regional level and carried shields of different color. But here we have 4 different types of phalanxes with different stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius I Poliorketes View Post
    A Seleukid taxis of Chrysaspides is mentioned by Polybius marching in the Daphnae parade of 166 BC (see sekunda (1994b) 14-15)
    And a unit of Chalkaspidae. The two units though are only mentioned in later eras, especially during the reign of Antiochus IV Epiphanes. Especially the Chalkaspidae was one of the phalanx units of the Macedonian Kingdom and it seems that when the Macedonian Kingdom ceased to exist after the Battle of Pydna, he created a Chalkaspidae unit which he manned with Macedonians who fled from Macedonia proper. Their existence was probably short. The Seleucids though did not deploy levy phalanxes or pezhetairoi but only katoikoi phalangites.
    Last edited by Manuel I Komnenos; December 22, 2011 at 07:56 AM.
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."

I am more inclined to think the new units of Chalkaspidae were formed in honour of those of the Antigonids at Pydna

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius I Poliorketes View Post
    I am more inclined to think the new units of Chalkaspidae were formed in honour of those of the Antigonids at Pydna
    Yeah, I believe the same. My theory is that the unit also probably accepted several Macedonians who fled the Kingdom and desired to continue the fight against the Romans.

Yeah, I believe the same. My theory is that the unit also probably accepted several Macedonians who fled the Kingdom and desired to continue the fight against the Romans.
    History is full of examples of this eg the Anglo/Saxons who served as Varangoi and fought in Sicily against Normans

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

in game terms (n RSII stats not IRL)

Levy Phalangites = low level frickin militia phalanxes who can hold other troops at bay, but will be massacred against another phalangites
    Katoikiai Phalangites = medium level militia phalanxes who can stand their ground better
    Pezhetairoi Phalangites = regular phalanxes, who are simply better Katoikiai Phalangites, their skins are cooler too...
    Argyraspidai = frickin elite phalanxes, why? because everyone need expensive toys for playing in mid-late game when they become empire proper.

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

It could be the same if the phalanx was divided in taxeis. The taxeis were usually recruited in regional level and carried shields of different color.
    Really? Then I really really hope the modders will make those taxeis in upcoming patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strategos Lykos View Post
    in game terms (n RSII stats not IRL)

Levy Phalangites = low level frickin militia phalanxes who can hold other troops at bay, but will be massacred against another phalangites
    Katoikiai Phalangites = medium level militia phalanxes who can stand their ground better
    Pezhetairoi Phalangites = regular phalanxes, who are simply better Katoikiai Phalangites, their skins are cooler too...
    Argyraspidai = frickin elite phalanxes, why? because everyone need expensive toys for playing in mid-late game when they become empire proper.
    So I find it weird in my Ptolemaic campaign which Katoikoi was available after Pezhetairoi.

Darth_Revan's Avatar Primicerius

I kind of enjoy using different types of phalangites but I understand what the OP is saying.

Storno The Wise's Avatar Foederatus
    East of Poland, the far side of the world ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Lt.Speirs View Post
    That is the best answer

If you don't like such large number of phalanxes or any other units you ought to play vanilla, that should help a bit.
    Pupils from primary school will find it as best resolve

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Well no, 28 legons is the Number of Legions Augustus reduced Romes Legions down to its a good number too for gameplay enough for each front and for people to get attached to their favourite legion.