Thread: Physics Assignment

Default Physics Assignment

I have a physics assignment due at school in three weeks. I don't need any helo in understanding physics, but I haven't got any good ideas for it. The Assignment is to produce a comprehensive report on an aspect of physics in life. I was going to do a report on astrpphysics and faster then light travel, however I am restricted to doing topics that we have covered in class so far this year, which unfortunatly include heating and cooling, and basic movement (eg. newton's laws, momentum etc). This is quite restricting for me so this is where I need help with to come up with an idea. I want invlove something that I enjoy eg. Aussie rule, cricket and beer, but so far I am stuck with nothing to do.

As i stated before I don't need anyhelp doing the report, but just need some help with an idea. Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated.

Thankyou.
    GO THE ROOS!
    stuck in the electric chair....this cant be happening to me.....ride the Lightning!

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Physics Assignment

hmm, if you have an interest in space and related science in general, how about the physics behind launching satellites and space probes and the way their orbits and trajectories are calculated?

Drunken's Avatar Semisalis

Doing what Muizer said seems to be a good idea, provided you have an interest in space.

Or as you said you like sports you can do the physics involved in kicking / hitting various types of ball, dropping them from a great hight to find the terminal velocity (may be wrong since its been a while since I did physics :laughing: )

Is heating and cooling and movement all youve done so far to choose from ?
    "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings"

Well i have only been in school for 7 weeks so that is all we have covered, but what we do in class doesn't define or limit what I know or understand about Physics. And my bald physics teacher wont let me do an assignment that involves curves and circle in trajectories and movement. Just basic straight line nonsense.
    GO THE ROOS!
    stuck in the electric chair....this cant be happening to me.....ride the Lightning!

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

How about the amount of force (in ft/lbs/per sq in) at the end of a lance, held by a 150lb man riding on a 1,000lb horse traveling 20 miles per hour?

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Aha, an assignment related to total war series, possibly. One question does a body that is travelling at a unifrom velocity and with a certain mass, have any force?
    GO THE ROOS!

It can exert force on another object, yes. It has momentum.

So, a non elastic collision of a spear of an arrow against a stationary shield... that does sound like fun. You could calculate the force it would take to pierce the shield (or just name a shield and with arbitrary value) to spice it up.