Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rohan?

Default Rohan?

Hi peeps, just would like to know if we have any Rohan players in here? I am asking because I am 50 turns into my rohan campaign and I just feel they are so weak. If it wasn't for horse archers I would be screwed! All rohan infantry cannot stand up in a fight with uruk hai without support.

Is the whole point of a rohan army all about micro management? Any help and advice in how to play as rohan would be appreciated.

Default Re: Rohan?

Rohan is so much easier for some reason in 3.0 . It is my favourite faction so i have played it a lot, but this time its very easy (VH/VH). I think it has to do with the fact that Gondor is significally stronger and holds Mordor at bay without any problems. So basically you have to deal with Isengard. Get Fangorn, and get Ents, after that its easy, Ents can easily destroy army of 1000 on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by IHV View Post
    Rohan is so much easier for some reason in 3.0 . It is my favourite faction so i have played it a lot, but this time its very easy (VH/VH).
    Totally agree, I pretty much rushed them with the starting units and fought a lot with my generals( guerilla tactics). If you capture Isengard, your money problems are solved and they are broke

Use multiple cavalry charges, preferably from the flanks or from behind. Attack the general unit from its left, that's where the general is. Usually kills him with the first charge. It does require some micromanagement, but it makes the battles real easy. Charge, retreat, charge, retreat. Bodyguards and your one unit of Royal Guard really excel at that. Just don't let them get entangled in close fighting after the charge. Some caution is necessary against Uruk Reavers, they'll quickly rip your cavalry apart if you don't retreat them immediately. Also, choose terrain wisely. Wooded regions make it a lot harder.

I am 38 turns into a VH/VH Rohan campaign, haven't lost a singly battle, took all regions west of the Gap of Rohan and Isengard is left with just 2 regions (Isengard and Fangorn). I just attacked OotmM just because I'm bored.

I mainly use infantry just to pin enemy units down while cavalry charges into their flanks.

Hmm, Im playing Rohan VH/VH and killed Saruman after 8 turns lol. He was with ~4 units in fangorn. I will begin a new campaign.

Cavalry wins all my battles for me and I'm playing as Eriador right now. Cavalry in this mod is incredibly strong.

Thanks for the advice guys, actually just been having fun playing with rohan now. Been using six units of infantry as bait and then performing multiple cavalry charges in back of the enemy as they attack my troops.

That's all fine and dandy but what are the best units to use to take settlements? Can ents enter settlements?

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel Ezekiel View Post
    Hi peeps, just would like to know if we have any Rohan players in here? I am asking because I am 50 turns into my rohan campaign and I just feel they are so weak. If it wasn't for horse archers I would be screwed! All rohan infantry cannot stand up in a fight with uruk hai without support.
    Is the whole point of a rohan army all about micro management? Any help and advice in how to play as rohan would be appreciated.
    Yup, thought the same. The Rohirim unit roster is incredibly lack-luster. The infantry are all weaker than their counterparts and even their cavalry, the arm that is supposed to be their strong suite, is weaker than that of other factions.

Into year 3010TA VH/VH.. just recaptured Edoras after another Sauron / axis of evil jihad. The only hope Rohan have is to use their cavalry (using hit and run tactics in battle) to try and catch small bands of enemy on the plains before they combine or get to your settlements. If you get a full stack of elite Uruk, Uruk-Hai, Guards, Beserkers and Trolls laying siege, it's all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceza View Post
    Hmm, Im playing Rohan VH/VH and killed Saruman after 8 turns lol. He was with ~4 units in fangorn. I will begin a new campaign.
    Yup, in my campaign, Théoden the mighty with a few Rohirim caught him on turn 4 heading to fangorn.
    Nonetheless the war continues. Every time I make advances against / look like I can finally strike a death blow to Isengard, I get mauled from the other factions of the Modor alliance.

Théoden has run from one end of the March to the other trying to stem the tide! He has no less than 8 heroic battle sites to his credit on my campaign map.

my2bob
    Last edited by PSYCHO V; December 19, 2011 at 07:43 PM.
    PSYCHO V

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, Meditation 17)

I started as Rohan, too and also think it's a little easier ... It seems because Isengard is weaker than before ... I could conquer it in no time ...

Still I have the problem, that every time I conquer Isengard (the castle) the game crashes No matter if I auto resolve or fight by myself ... So I have no choice but sieging Saruman in there for eternity Or maybe until a patch will come up ...

But again: Never had such an easy time to defeat Isengard ... Rohan is my favourite faction so I played them quite a lot in 2.1

Shingen's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel Ezekiel View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys, actually just been having fun playing with rohan now. Been using six units of infantry as bait and then performing multiple cavalry charges in back of the enemy as they attack my troops.

That's all fine and dandy but what are the best units to use to take settlements? Can ents enter settlements?
    Siege the settlement until the enemy attacks you and beat him on the field.
    If you are good with cav, siege with fewer units than the garnison. Than the garnision will attack in the next turn.

Quote Originally Posted by IHV View Post
    Rohan is so much easier for some reason in 3.0 I think it has to do with the fact that Gondor is significally stronger and holds Mordor at bay without any problems. So basically you have to deal with Isengard. Get Fangorn, and get Ents, after that its easy, Ents can easily destroy army of 1000 on their own.
    In my campaign Modor, Harad and Rhun are marching around Gondor and crossing enmass above the Gates of Argonath.

How do you acquire Ents, I've captured fangorn and given autonomy.. but nothing happened?
    PSYCHO V

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, Meditation 17)

You'll have to wait at least 20 turns after granting autonomy.
    Then you get some.

I find the rohan cavlry pretty weak compared to other civ cavalry nd to what it should be. I mean, rohirim are the lord of horses, they should field the best cavalry in the game. But maybe i'm wrong...

Their infantry is only there to hold the line, and hence cheaper. I wouldn't mess with the dismounted Royals either. Their archers really aren't great at all, but they can go hand to hand. Rohan does field supreme cavalry at top tiers (and more with AUM), but far, far more importantly, they field extremely solid medium cavalry with a powerful charge, as well as versatile mounted javelins and archers, far more numerously than any other factions. That is your true weapon. Neither Rhun, nor Gondor, nor Harad will tend to use 50% cavalry armies. You can.

Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Berengar View Post
    Rohan does field supreme cavalry at top tiers (and more with AUM), but far, far more importantly, they field extremely solid medium cavalry with a powerful charge, as well as versatile mounted javelins and archers, far more numerously than any other factions.
    Actually I havent played MTW2 in a while and did a fresh reinstall of that and the Third Age 3.0 but now Im finding that I got rid of an old little sub mod I had to enable horse units to properly charge infantry and actually get past the first row of soldiers (especially if attacking from the side or rear), however with this latest release my horse units charge up to the enemy and just stop, and then swing their swords and axes. There is no devastating charge effect, basically the only thing its good for is reducing the morale of the enemy units

Quote Originally Posted by Bungo Baggins View Post
    You'll have to wait at least 20 turns after granting autonomy.
    Then you get some.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GueulEclator View Post
    I find the rohan cavlry pretty weak compared to other civ cavalry nd to what it should be. I mean, rohirim are the lord of horses, they should field the best cavalry in the game.....
    Exactly!! The so-called Horse Lords have cavalry that is sub-standard compared to other factions.
    PSYCHO V

Their infantry is only there to hold the line, and hence cheaper. I wouldn't mess with the dismounted Royals either. Their archers really aren't great at all, but they can go hand to hand. Rohan does field supreme cavalry at top tiers (and more with AUM), but far, far more importantly, they field extremely solid medium cavalry with a powerful charge, as well as versatile mounted javelins and archers, far more numerously than any other factions. That is your true weapon. Neither Rhun, nor Gondor, nor Harad will tend to use 50% cavalry armies. You can.
    i made a lot of unit duel in custom battle just to test : rohan infantery almost always loose against others faction cavalry and they are less than others cavalry when dealing with infantery.
    Of course, no faction sucks at 100%, there is always some advantages, that's why you can write a text about them, but they still sucks at 50%. The only reason why they field a lot of cav it's because they don't have anything better.
    I mean, anyways, they SHOULD be the ones to field the strongest cavalery units, not gondor and arnor
    They're called lord of the horse for a reason : their cav is supposed to be unmatched on 1vs1.
    So am i right? What do you guys think?
    Last edited by GueulEclator; December 19, 2011 at 10:37 PM.

francis86's Avatar Decanus

just go in export_desc_unit and change their stats and upkeep

@francis
    Well since i'm not an expert in balance and total war games i want to be sure i am not doign something stupid when modifying their stats. Plus i really want to be sure that rohan needs a boost before boosting it.

Well ... why should they be unmatched?
    Without doubt: Gondor will be better manufacturing armour (same for Arnor)
    Without doubt: Elves will be better by experience (and armour as well)

So how should you be superior with your little sword and the chainmail against the bigger and still lighter sword and a plated armour and / or 1000 years of fighting experience?

Nevertheless ... Rohan has the most biggest number of horses (as already set before).
    This is truly the real advantage.

For me: I am absolutely best with Rohan. Sure, it's a "little" work all the time controlling the cavalry.
    Spearmen are a little pain in the ass ... but luckily you never have to fight Fountain Guards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast