View Poll Results: Which TATW faction MOST need a REVAMP?

Voters
220. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gondor

5 2.27%
  • Rohan

26 11.82%
  • Dale

8 3.64%
  • Mordor

20 9.09%
  • Isengard

12 5.45%
  • High Elves

2 0.91%
  • Silvan Elves

33 15.00%
  • Dwarves

15 6.82%
  • Orcs of Misty Mountains

53 24.09%
  • Orcs of Gundabad

31 14.09%
  • Harad

2 0.91%
  • Rhun

4 1.82%
  • Eriador

4 1.82%
  • Arnor

5 2.27%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which faction should get the next UNIT REVAMP?

STELLover's Avatar Senator

Default Which faction should get the next UNIT REVAMP?

Polls above:

I personally think the orcish factions in general need a revamp

No offense they are terrific orc units, but I like Call of Warhammer's concept with shorter and stubby orc soldiers

Also I would like for the mod to utilize the horde formation (disorganized formation) since it seems more appropriate for the orcs

Thanks

ROME 2 Mod: More Cities and Settlements on Campaign Map:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=194761024

el Cid's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Which faction should get the next UNIT REVAMP?

I agree in every possible way with the post above. Though redoing all of the orc factions (4) would be a massive amount of work.

Definitively orcs of Gunbadad. They really lacks any orginality. They units are the same you can find in mordor and misty mountains.
    They could be revamped into the remnants of angmar faction. This faction could finally have the black numenorean units (a bit like in rise of the witch king) who could look very nice and orcs (but different than the misty mountains ones) and some other creatures (wolves, vampire, snow trolls, hill trolls...).
    Plus there could be a restore angmar option (wich could give many advantages like the return of the witch king...).
    ALSO WHY CANT I NEVER VOTE ON POLLS? DO I NEED TO DO SOMETHING BEFORE?

Good points, although I want to see the promised remake of the Silvan Elves.

The High Elf units are BEAUTIFUL, and the Silvan ones could be as well.
    Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=514102

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I'd like to see that Rhunnic chariot in action without the Saurons, I tried to do this myself, but the dismounted variags I placed on it instead had some gravitation problems
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

OOG. Just compare them to the OOTMM or Mordor.

Campidoctor

I'd like to see Isengard get something other than the Snaga units for their lowest tier. I have already mentioned I do not like the look of them, but they don't fit in with the Uruk-Hai units, and they're already used enough by the Mountain Orcs. Another relatively weak Orc unit would be preferable. More Dunlending units was always a request - but we do have a much appreciated new one now.

Perhaps the OOG could be renamed to just Gundabad, that way there would be more scope in adding more evil men units. It looks like they have received one in 3.0, unless I'm just forgetting their roster, but more would give them a different play style than the OOTMM.

STELLover's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by GueulEclator View Post
    Definitively orcs of Gunbadad. They really lacks any orginality. They units are the same you can find in mordor and misty mountains.
    They could be revamped into the remnants of angmar faction. This faction could finally have the black numenorean units (a bit like in rise of the witch king) who could look very nice and orcs (but different than the misty mountains ones) and some other creatures (wolves, vampire, snow trolls, hill trolls...).
    Plus there could be a restore angmar option (wich could give many advantages like the return of the witch king...).
    ALSO WHY CANT I NEVER VOTE ON POLLS? DO I NEED TO DO SOMETHING BEFORE?
    I actually like this idea about a reinstitution of Angmar restoration. Also, I believe more local Rhudaur units should be integrated with the Gundabad roster

ROME 2 Mod: More Cities and Settlements on Campaign Map:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=194761024

I'd go for the Orcs of Gundabad for a complete revamp.
    It looks too much like OotM number 2 to me, and i think it would be great to emphasize on the "Angmar is back" element. I was thinking of adding more Rhudaurian units, the Rhudaur axemen merc unit, for example, looks wonderfull and would look great as a regular unit, with some other more human options to represent the evil human part of the "New Angmar" troop. Some of the orc units could be moved to ootM to make some space in term of use for these new human units, which would also have the advantage to add variety to OotM too (heavy goblin archers, goblin halberds, heavy goblin infantry and orc bodyguards share the same amor design and could appreciate some diversity).
    Concerning these new OoG units, i can totally imagine something implementing more human elements than, for example, Isengard (the new Dunlending unit looks WONDERFUL!, btw), with line troops coming from Rhudaur, lancers, pikemen, axemen, siege engine crews, that you could recruit from plain terrain, and on the orc part, skirmishers, some orc shock troops emphazising on their brutality, and of course the trolls, recruitable from mountain terrain, plus some elite evil men unit as general, coming from Carn Dum. Creating a balanced army would need troops from both human and orc rosters, coming both from plain and mountain terrain, and it would be quite interesting as well in my opinion to them them suffering a (moderate) morale malus when mixed, without general to keep all of them in line.

The whole purpose of the Orcs of Gundabad is to be a lot like the OOTMM. The team decided against some kind of "remnants of angmar" faction- And that`s good. Angmar was gone, deserted and there were only some orcs living up there.

Problem is, remnants of angmar or something like that would totally contradict lore. I`m even not sure whether there were still enough men of rhudaur alive during the war of the ring to support whole units of soldiers as shown in this mod. I don`t want the existing ones to be removed, but i wouldn`t add more either.

Black Numenoreans are completely out of the question. If a faction should get Black Numenoreans it would be Harad (Or rather Umbar.).

I think the OOG are different enough from the OOTMM. They get Human auxiliaries and a nice troll unit.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Harad could also deserve some love. Also my twisted mind wants more dwarves, but thats just me

ootmm, no question about it. They are by far the most rushed faction, and there have been next to no work done on their units since the first release

@Lordinquisitor: I wasn't aware that Eriador was a military power during the war of the ring, lore wise, enough to justify the implementation of them as a faction and the recreation of Arnor. Please stop justifying everything with LORELORELOREYOUSHUTYOURMOUTH. I perfectly understand the gameplay and game design reasons. If the team decided to make OoG specifically as a second 100% orc faction, very well, i can totally understand that, but that doesn't prevent many people to think that both OoG and OotMM look like two half-rosters factions which both don't feel different enough to make it work, and that the development of the OotMM roster suffered from the creation of the OoG faction and the need of visual variety between two contiguous orc factions. More than supporting a human centered angmar faction, i was mostly interested in making them strongly different from OotMM both in term of look and gameplay, and frankly, lore-stretch doesn't worth much to me in regard of gameplay value. We're not going farther with this than we went with the Eriador/Arnor faction.
    Last edited by Khay; December 18, 2011 at 06:55 AM. Reason: typo

I would like to see Revamped Dwarves
    Best M2TW mods :)

1st Place) Third Age
    2nd Place) THERA - Call of Warhammer

Yes, Eriador was no military power, too. But the Kingdom of Arnor was restored. (As part fo the reunited kingdom) Not during that timeframe, but after the war of the ring. Angmar never rose again- It was shattered and broken. For gameplay and fun reasons i can understand that lore must be broken sometimes (Like with some of Eriadors Units), but stuff like adding Black Numenoreans to the OOG is completely unreasonable.

I think people are a bit pampered here. In Stainless Steel many, many factions share similiar units. I`m not against overhauling some units visually, but the OOG were separated from the OOTMM solely for gameplay reasons. That they got a few extra units, that make them different from the OOTMM, is a nice extra.

There`s only so much diversity someone can add without completely ruining the lore.
    Last edited by Lordinquisitor; December 18, 2011 at 07:03 AM.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Yeah, if the lore is to be raped, it is to be in a submod!

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Lordinquisitor View Post
    Yes, Eriador was no military power, too. But the Kingdom of Arnor was restored. (As part fo the reunited kingdom) Not during that timeframe, but after the war of the ring. Angmar never rose again- It was shattered and broken.
    And why was that? Because good guys won. If Sauron had won maybe Angmar would've been restored. TATW is all about what-if scenarios.

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

Everyone here (including me ) are actually when I think about it. Less than two weeks after the release of those beatiful new units & custom settlements are we discussing our next wishes on 4 threads at the same time.

I voted for OOTMM BTW. I think they need some more unique units and maybe even some new animations (like those orcs who waddle into Saruman's room in the Fellowship of the Ring movie)

Not necessarly. Angmars purpose in the old times was to oppose Arnor. If Sauron would have won, arnor wouldn`t have been restored and Eriador would have become even more insignificant. Also, Isengard is perfectly situated to oppose Eriador.

Thing, is we can`t know. Anyway, it would also be impossible to create an emergent angmar faction due to engine limitations as far as i know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordinquisitor View Post
    Yes, Eriador was no military power, too. But the Kingdom of Arnor was restored. (As part fo the reunited kingdom) Not during that timeframe, but after the war of the ring. Angmar never rose again- It was shattered and broken.
    The idea behind Sauron willing a new front to be opened from the Gundabad area in 2970T.A. and the subsequent military redevelopment of Angmar-or-Gundabad-whatever-you-may-want-to-call-it as a military power, is no more unreasonable than the peasant population of Eriador spontaneously redevelopping and turning into Arnor on its own, without the positive influence of victorious Gondor-post-War-of-the-Ring-era. The lore-stretch is exactly of the same level, and none of them happened int the "real" story, i don't know why you keep justifying the one regarding Arnor without having the slightlest consideration for rethinking the OoG faction, both with theoretical starting events. As it seems you justify your ideas with canon from the beginning of the Fourth Age, then i assume than the simple idea of playing Mordor and winning must be absoluetly unbearable to you
    Plus you seems to be quite worried about these Black numenoreans of the North, please note that i said nothing about such a thing, just that a human general unit would fit better my idea than an orc one, nor i said a single word about a mini-event à la Arnor, for Gundabad. Both of these things comes solely out of your mind and you're misunderstanding what i suggested.
    Last edited by Khay; December 18, 2011 at 07:35 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast