Thread: Testudo for more units

Frtigern's Avatar Tiro

Default Testudo for more units

I know its ahistorical. I haven't modified the single player export_descr_unit.txt as I feel its not worth doing. I did it for Custom Battles to experiment. If you want to try it I've attached it.

EB > mp game edu backup > export_descr_unit.txt

I had a few conditions before adding testudo as a formation. 1) They must not be spearmen, as it would be impractical to hold a spear and form testudo (unless the ranks behind the front dropped their spears on the ground). 2) They must be armed with a sword, axe, or club. 3) They must have a shield of certain size and shape. 4) No hoplon shield carriers can get testudo, when adding testudo to hoplon carrying units (pedites extraordinarii) the center ranks face their shields behind them instead of forward leaving large holes for missiles to get in. 5) No skirmisher units.

At first I wanted only trained and disciplined units only to get testudo but that limited my choices and left out a lot of good potential candidates.

Here is the list of units who got testudo:
    Machimoi
    Ethiopian Swordsmen
    Dorkim Aloopim
    Arjos
    Bataroas
    Botroas
    Neitos
    Golberi Curoas
    Enoci Curoas
    Gaesatae
    Milnaht
    Rycalawre
    Solduros
    Pictones Neitos
    Teskatos
    Kluddacorii
    Teceitos
    Cordinau Orca
    Boii Swordsmen
    Taxeis Triballoi
    Komatai Epilektoi
    Komatai Kostobokon
    Galathraikes
    Regional Galathraikes
    Mardig Sooseramartik
    Kartvelebi Dashna-Mebrdzolebi
    Parthohellenikoi Thureophoroi
    Pontic Thorakitai
    Galatikoi Kleruchoi
    Galatikoi Tindanotae
    Herunautoz
    Slanganz
    Kirslininkas
    Karotovas
    Cheruscii Swordsmen
    Wargoz
    Agrianikoi Pelekephoroi
    Thorakitai Argyraspidai
    Loricati Scutari
    Dunaminaca
    Mercenary Dunaminaca
    Ilergeta
    Hastati (Camillan and Polybian)
    Principes (Polybian)
    Bruttian Infantry

Previews:

Boii Cingetos

Dunaminica

Enoci Curoas

Gaesatae

Golberi Curoas

Kluddacorii

Milnaht

Pictone Neitos

Solduros

Mardig Sooseramartik

Kartveli Dashnit Meombrebi

Gaesatae

Loricati Scutari

Pezoi Brettioi

Galathraikes

Taxeis Triballoi

Parthohellenikoi Thureophoroi

Galatikoi Tindanotae

Galathraikes

Pontikoi Thorakitai

Hastati (Camillan)

Hastati (Polybian)

Worgōzez

Xerunoudōzez

Happy Besieging!... or happy standing!
    Last edited by Frtigern; December 18, 2011 at 01:29 AM.

Boriak's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Testudo for more units

Neat.

Ahistorical it may be but on the other hand a lot of units in EB are imitiations of some other unit. That's how military evolved. So it's not that far fetched for someone else than SPQR to try their luck with testudo. On the other hand, apart from the eye candy testudo is not that useful. Unless there's something about it I don't know.

While we're on the subject, when and how did testudo came to be in the first place? I imagine Rome had to be fighting someone pretty archer-oriented.
    Last edited by Boriak; December 18, 2011 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frtigern View Post
    Happy Besieging!... or happy standing!
    This is hilarious, great job! "Europa Barbarorum - Rise of the Testudo".

Quote Originally Posted by Boriak View Post
    Neat.

Ahistorical it may be but on the other hand a lot of units in EB are imitiations of some other unit. That's how military evolved. So it's not that far fetched for someone else than SPQR to try their luck with testudo. On the other hand, apart from the eye candy testudo is not that useful. Unless there's something about it I don't know.

While we're on the subject, when and how did testudo came to be in the first place? I imagine Rome had to be fighting someone pretty archer-oriented.
    The testudo in RTW is near to immune vs. missile fire, so it's worth using against archer-heavy factions; though in a melee situation the testudo is a handicap / gives a malus in hand-to-hand combat afaik.

I believe historically it was mainly used during sieges to get close to the enemys denfense works, as it grants good protection against all sorts of projectiles. Perhaps they carried some ladders along or a small, handheld battering to crush a light gate?!

Frtigern's Avatar Tiro

Yep, the testudo is great for sieges and many barbarian warriors like Gaesatae, Milnaht, Pictones Neitos, Kluddacorii and others have no body armor and get decimated by arrow fire during assaults. I will post an after action report on a siege on Rome without testudo and with. I am assuming that a lot less men will be killed in testudo. I wonder how well testudo is against artillery versus not in testudo?

Also, it seems only swordsmen equipped with short stabbing swords are shown in units while in testudo, while those who have long slashing swords, axes or clubs have their weapons sheathed.

Are you going to test them against arrow throwers and stone projectors, or only versus the artillery/projectiles of town walls?
    I guess if a large bolt from the big arrow thrower or a boulder from the 30-mina/1-talent stone projector hits a unit in testudo formation it will wreak havoc. All them soft, squishy bodies in a perfect, tightly packed arrangement... a dream come true for any artillerist! Wonder if the small bolts of the minor arrow thrower can penetrate the testudo?
    I assume the testudo will help against the bombardment from the defense-towers though.