Thread: Next move in Campaign

Dreygon's Avatar Foederatus

Default Next move in Campaign

Well Im kind of in a major debate on how to proceed with my Scipii campaign (H/H, Large unit 1.5 vanilla).
    I have managed to take out Numidia and Carthage and secured everything to a good degree. Now...the Julii have taken Spain out and have all of their land, and the Brutii and the Senate are in a bloddy war with the Macedons. Britton is, for what reason Im not sure, tearing a hole into the Julii from the North. Im allied with Britton, and at war with Egypt, although nothing major..just a few naval battles.
    So the question is, do I launch on the Julii and take Spain and risk all out war with the other Romans? Maybe the Brittons would help me fight the Julii? Or plunge straight in to Egypt?

milns's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Next move in Campaign

Definetly Egypt, because you will get lots of money I think....

God's Avatar Shnitzled In The Negev

Take out Egypt first, then build a huge army before you take on Rome.

Take a risk, go straight for Rome!

go straight to rome..egypt creates always "social" problems...a lot of revolts...

NobleNick's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Dreygon
    Well Im kind of in a major debate on how to proceed with my Scipii campaign (H/H, Large unit 1.5 vanilla).
    I have managed to take out Numidia and Carthage and secured everything to a good degree. Now...the Julii have taken Spain out and have all of their land, and the Brutii and the Senate are in a bloddy war with the Macedons. Britton is, for what reason Im not sure, tearing a hole into the Julii from the North. Im allied with Britton, and at war with Egypt, although nothing major..just a few naval battles.
    So the question is, do I launch on the Julii and take Spain and risk all out war with the other Romans? Maybe the Brittons would help me fight the Julii? Or plunge straight in to Egypt?
    This sounds a lot like the campaign that I am about 3/4 of the way through: Scipii on H/H. I have taken Spain, Carthage, Numidia. and have just about eliminated the Gauls, and am in full blown war with the Egyptians, while the Julii have taken a few Gaul settlements and are mostly preoccupied with the Britons.

Errmmm... tough one. If you weren't at war with Egypt, and you are near the end of the game, I would say leave the Egyptians alone and attack the Julii in Spain. Egypt is a tough nut to crack, but doable if you apply plenty of economic pressure (blockades with your navy) so that they can not rebuild their armies.

If you are NOT near the end of the game, then focus on the Egyptians and leave Spain alone for now; because the Egyptians will be all you can handle; and you do not want to tick of your Roman brethren before it is necessary.

In any case, another thing I would do is build a big navy and close down the Med, because you don't need the Julii or Egyptians getting a beach head at Thapsus, Carthage or (~shudder~) any of the Sicilian cities.
    Last edited by NobleNick; May 05, 2006 at 11:48 AM.

Attack the britons, and then you can encircle the julii for a easier conquest. That way you have mostly roman cities after briton takes them and you can better form an army against Rome and the Egyptians later in the game.

All great advice, especially locking down the Med. Taking out Britton isnt a bad idea either but Egypt is pushing towards Thaspus with 3 Generals, all half stacks or more..and get this, they sent a diplomat to Capua and asked me to become a protectorate! The bloddy nerve. They are coming for me.
    I evacuated the one small city east of Thaspus to help defend. Its going to get ugly at Thaspus. To make things worse, Tingi is revolting and I will prob. loose it because I shaved off some garrison troops to help Thaspus.
    At any rate, hopefully I can break Egypts back and leave a nasty taste in thier mouth so I can focus on Rome.

Don't bother trying to actually take over the Egyptian land, just raid it! That is what I always do, send a full stack or two down into Egyptian territory, attack the big cities, exterminate the populace for mucho cash, then leave before they figure out what happened! Did that for over 150 years before I decided to actually destroy them!

Americ that sounds like a good plan too..well I had a good start on Egypt for a while. They sent 6 generals to Thaspus...3 full and 3 half stack. They destroyed me on the open battlefield outside. They layed siege to Thaspus and I fought them off quite well. They didnt really have any infantry besides the couple of typical Desert Infantry and Pharoah pike. I put most of my Aux at the gate and then lined the walls with pretty much everything else to keep the towers and ladders at bay. They are still trying to take Thaspus as of now. The bad thing is I cant manuever any of my armies away from Thaspus/Carthage because Egypt keeps pouring stack after stack on me. I must have killed 6 of their family members already...they just keep coming.
    I have sent my fleets to blockade every Egyptian port I can. They have nothing in garrisons from Alexandria back.

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

sounds like a great time to send some comando forces in their back yard. just kill all citizens, destroy the buildings and leave to the next town. this will slow them seriously

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Open a second front in their homeland. Distracting the enemy on one front is always important, but a nice and relativly easy way to win your war is to strike at their jugular in Egypt Proper! ATTACK WHERE THE ENEMY LEAST EXCPECTS YOU!!!

I personally would attack them both because im that kind of guy. But it probably wiser to attack the Egyptians while the Julli are still your ally (Right?) because that way you can focus on that front without being very worried about being suckered.

I personally would attack them both because im that kind of guy

Seriously, I'd definitely attack the egyptians - easier to fight, and further away from your core teritories. As for the tactics...well, right now I'm playing vhard/vhard large unit RTR 6.0 campaign with goddamn Numidia, and I'm not sure whether just to raid them, or to conquer So I would definitely go for the conquering if I were you, it shouldn't be that hard. Just don't attack them 'cross the desert, I made that mistake when playing my vanilla campaign w.Scipii, and it's cost me a lot of nerves. Instead, "entrench" near Thapsus (or Lepcis Magna,better), take the islands in east Mediterranean (Cyprus, Crete, Rhodes) and attack them from there... oh, and controllig the seas is *the* imperative, but I suppose you already know that

Aemilianus's Avatar Imperial Legate

I also agree that you should go for Egypt. If you have Tingi and the Julii are in Spain, there's not much you can do about it now, and they'll fight Britain forever. Thus, go in (preferably navally, though I suck at that kind of warfare) and take out their cities. I'm actually a proponent of holding them- all you need to do is destroy their temples and perhaps some of their culture-specific buildings, and then build from scratch what you want to build there. The Pyramids give loyalty bonuses, and Egypt proper is a rich land. All you have to do then is shore up the rest of your cities and possibly exterminate Tingi. Problem solved- with that kind of territory and power you should win.
    Under the honorable patronage of Kscott
    University of Maryland Class of 2007
    "Who would have known of Hector, if Troy had been happy? The road to valor is built by adversity." -Ovid

NobleNick's Avatar Artifex

Americ that sounds like a good plan too...
    Yes, Americ, thanks for the advice. Although your "scorched earth" policy is a bit too radical for me (not to mention that the Egyptians seem to have multiple FULL stacks EVERYWHERE), the basic idea of putting serious economic pressure on Egypt is an excellent one. I am using some of your ideas right now in my struggle with them: I have blockaded every port they have. You can tell it is working by going to the production graph from the statistics overview menu: If Egypt isn't producing anything, you know it is because they CAN'T.

They destroyed me on the open battlefield outside. They layed siege to Thaspus and I fought them off quite well. They didnt really have any infantry besides the couple of typical Desert Infantry and Pharoah pike. I put most of my Aux at the gate and then lined the walls with pretty much everything else to keep the towers and ladders at bay. They are still trying to take Thaspus as of now. The bad thing is I cant manuever any of my armies away from Thaspus/Carthage because Egypt keeps pouring stack after stack on me. I must have killed 6 of their family members already...they just keep coming. I have sent my fleets to blockade every Egyptian port I can. They have nothing in garrisons from Alexandria back
    You have mentioned 4 key facts about Egypt that I have confirmed in my own struggle with them, knowledge that can be used to your advantage:

1.) They can field lots and lots and LOTS of stacks

2.) They do this by leaving their homeland cities virtually ungarrisoned.

3.) Egyptians are typically excellent in the field (especially, my experience shows, against cavalry).

4.) Egyptians suck at siege warfare. On H/H, they need to outnumber me 2- to-1 with an excellent mix of good troops and siege equipment before I start sweating.

Your position is actually quite good: You have them where you want them. Just Keep your troops retrained, add recruits to replace any lost units, and repair the walls. Keep archers on the walls and bring up spearmen and/or heavy infantry up to deal with siege towers. Keep winning these siege battles, and let those pyramid pushers beat themselves silly against your (hopefully epic) walls.

Meanwhile, keep the blockades up, so that they do not have the money to replace these valuable troops. Build more ships if you do not have all their ports blockaded. Go to the status charts and view Egyptian "Production" to see how well you are doing.

And now for the fun part: As you mentioned, they have virtually no garrisons at home. So if you were to take a full stack (even if it were just a general, and 19 units of cheap infantry) over to their homeland; you could do the "NobleNick thing" and occupy a few of their cities (exterminate, of course); or make sure your stack includes at least one Onager (2 heavy Onagers would be much better) and do the Americ thing: exterminate city after city after city, using the Onagers to get in the city with no wait time to build siege equipment, and demolishing the structures in each city to get even more money and to make it harder for the Egyptians to recover. (Especially demolish their Temples that give them those outrageous happiness bonuses.)

I think Americ's strategy would be much, MUCH more effective at hamstringing your enemy, whereas my strategy is more effective for immediately building up your own empire. Be warned: one heavy Onager will often not be enough to blast down a gate of an Epic wall.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by NobleNick; May 10, 2006 at 12:29 PM.