Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Largest Battles?

Orko's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Largest Battles?

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze86420 View Post
    I've used that strategy many times, works nicely. The Caucasus is the perfect front to defend from, thing that sucks though is that when I'm playing as the Ottomans I usually have Persia sphered so the Russians go for Persia instead.
    I find that it works better if I have Persia on my side, actually. They overstretch themselves by trying to occupy both Ottoman and Persian land, and I can just slowly occupy their territory while they're trying to conquer Persia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

I´ve found out that the tactics to use depends entirely on tech and generals. With machine guns and good defensive generals, it´s better to bait, with good offensive generals and tanks, it´s better to attack, if possible on plains. It really depends on tech and leadership, unlike EU 3 where it´s always better to be on the defensive to enjoy river or mountains bonuses.

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

battle for moscow in my Japan campaign in darkest hour
    100 divisions of russians and 90 divisions of my infantry, only 10 survived xD (battle lasted for 5 in game months)
    so... around 1 million russians dead

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Wouldn't have figured the Russians to have much left if you reached Moscow as Japan.

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Kamos View Post
    Wouldn't have figured the Russians to have much left if you reached Moscow as Japan.
    I was the only country they were fighting against after they made peace with germany (weirdly)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

prdude1234's Avatar Biarchus

On HoI2 DD Arm I was playing as the Ottoman Empire (Actually Turkey with half the Balkans and Middle East). I was with the allies and since the War was over, WW3 was close so I decided to build a massive level-10 fortresses defense line across the frontier with the Soviets, a year after I finished it, WW3 came and the Soviets sent 49 divisions against 7 divisions I had in a region, I won since I was in a mountain, had a HQ and my troops fought better at night than the Soviets. And when playing as Belgium, Germany once sent like 35+ Divisions against my small army which was massacred...
    A proud Latin

Un Puertorriqueño orgullozo!
    A proud Puertorican here!

Gamertag: prdude123

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Man.... I really need to figure out how to play these games!
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by darthgaara View Post
    Man.... I really need to figure out how to play these games!
    Just try one Paradox game that suits your taste and play it. You'll fail big time the first few campaigns but then it'll all click and you'll be Emperor of the Known World in no time.

Victoria 2, about 2 million men on each side, German invasion of USA. Lasted 8 years at end of game and still wasn't done.

I WUB PUGS's Avatar OOH KILL 'EM

Hmm, I wish my AAR was still being hosted on Stonyroad.de but my account has been inactive there for about 4 years.

Anyway playing as Germany in HOI2 with the Stonyroad mod on GROFAZ I launched Operation Barbarossa and caught virtually the entire Russian Army in my "Polish Sack". Over 300 Soviet Divisions fell to about 100 mobile German divisions and another 100 static infantry divisions that formed the base of the "sacK".

After destroying those 300 divisions, it was basically me driving to Moscow, Leningrad and Stalingrad to hopefully get the "Stalin sues for peace" event.

If I recall correctly, I quit the game shortly after that massive battle because there wasn't much fun left in it. I rarely finish(ed) HOI games. Either playing as Germany got boring after Russia (I did once conquer America though), or my campaigns as UK or US would work out pretty well and I would fight the Soviets after the war but would get bored with it.

So I guess that would've been my largest battle, 3 million Soviets against 2 million Germans in Poland.

In Victoria 2 in my playthrough as Germany, I was fighting a war with Japan and the Ottomans (1912-ish) over the independence of Bulgaria, and the Japanese had a massive army (still half the size of mine at mobilization height.) mine was about 2.8 million strong but I still needed to plan. So, I decided to invade through the northern island of Hokkaido, as invading Honshu would be suicidal. I gathered a force and sent it there. The Japanese attempted to lift the siege at Hakodate but I reinforced. The resulting reinforcing of troops by both sides led to the biggest Vicky 2 battle I have ever seen. Japanese forces: 28500 cav, 883353 inf, 86217 art, 998070 troops overall, TOTAL DESTRUCTION OF ARMY. German forces: 37356 cav, 473952 inf, 70310 art, 581618 troops overall, 252448 casualties. The battle lasted several months and included 1.58 million troops with casualties of 1.25 million. It got me 166.1 warscore.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Damn Communists!

Kaiser Quanah's Avatar Libertus

From memory, my largest battle would have to be from Crusader Kings II. I had selected Alexios Komnenos, and since then I had regained more territory that the (medieval) Roman Empire de jure imperial holdings by not only restoring the Pentarchy, but trekking into Tartaria through smart marriages and holy wars. Well my steamrolling had ended with the Mongol Invasion, the Golden Horde taking all of my land in Tartaria and was at the time invading Georgia. I had assembled a huge army consisting of vassal levies, professional soldiers, imperial bodyguards and varangian bodyguards, and a couple mid-tier mercenary companies, all adding up to about 90,000+. My combined fleet landed in southwest Georgia a week before the Mongolian forces arrived at that spot (which they were already en route to). The steppe-men were 140,000+ strong and month-long battle ensued, in which, though my emperor Staurakios Komnenos was slain, the battle had been won. Unfortunately, the Mongols had another large army, still very powerful but of less manpower then the preceding army, originally en route to combine their two armies but instead sought vengeance. I tried to move south to mountainous terrain, but this was futile as the horsemen caught up with me. As the ensuing battle raged, I spent most of my great funds hiring as many mercenaries as I could and shipped them to the battle. By the heavens alone was the battle won. The Mongols retreated but did not give up that war.

My country was on the verge of bankruptcy and the sudden death of the emperor in battle had set the stage for a civil war to blow up all the while the Mongols were regathering for another assault, but fortunately/unfortunately Rajas of India was soon released and my campaign became worthless. Still, great fun while I was at it.
    Big Iron on his hip

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12