Thread: American Civil War a Great Mod

Default American Civil War a Great Mod

Just wanted to give a shout out about how great the ACW mod is... Just recently downloaded it - and am very impressed with its historic accuracy. The fact that the ordinances are so far advanced to the Empire and Napoleonic Periods does away with the needs for the irritating squares, short range of muskety fire and limited use of cavalry.

This is definately not a game where you can even think about camping - because the accuracy of fire and distance is so much increased that you are always in a position of movement.

Cavalry is now a real fighting arm with dragoons playing a key role - either mounted or dismounted.

Historically it is wonderful to play - especially for you Civil War fans like myself. It clearly shows why the Civil War was really the first modern conflict where strategy takes on a whole new level of thinking and the ability to maneuver, flank, attack and retreat takes on all new importance.

The slow moving armies of the early 19th century are now replaced by the increased range, firepower and maneuverability of the weapons and soldiers that use them.....

It may look like ETW or NTW but once it starts - look out!

This game has it all....

Default Re: American Civil War a Great Mod

Ive heard a bit about this mod, though ive neglected it due to my limited knowledge or interest of American history (sorry Im Australian). I would try it out as long as it provided a solid playing experience. A few questions if I may:

-Whats the campaign map like? Is it just a copy of the American map from ETW?

- How well is technology represented in the game?

-Dosent it get boring with just two playable (I assume) factions, North and South? In relation to that, how good is unit diversity?

-How has naval combat changed? This was the time of the ironclad.

Yes, I know I can just look all of the up somewhere, but I prefer chatting with people who actually play these mods rather than from their developers.

Rake.
    “flaming javelins.”

~ Adolf Hitler, Berlin 1945, when asked how to hold off the Russians

Maps are similar to Empire - but they do have several scenerio battle maps that are new and fairly close in historical accuracy. I don't play campaign but they do have a series of campains based on the year 1861 involving events all around the world. So the campaign aspect is quite veried and of course uses all the later technologies. So I would think it involves a whole new way of thinking. You are now dealing with a whole new set of factions.
    Technology is very well represented with rifles, pistols, all different types of artillery which includes the major ordinances of the civil war.
    Range of fire is 145 yards for inf and cav and between 500 and 2000 yards for art.

The units shown are correct - with a fair amount of diversity. One thing - most of ETW an NTW have many nations and many different styles of inf and cav and art. but they pretty much do the same thing - only the uniforms are different. Inf. Forms square - cav is pretty much a charge with the sword. Art is usually just two units. Howz or Standard Art (Long range preferred). The maps may be varied but the usual battle setup is required. Why? Because the range of fire is so close - you have to march right up to the enemy to fight.

This game, because of the dramatic increase in range, changes everything. You cannot camp - because the opponent can hold off his units and tear you to pieces with long range artillery - average being 800 to 1200 yard. In this mod - it is truly important to have many art units. Napoleon's idea of many art units is truly taken into consideration in this mod. - Unlike the other Total War mods - where having two is enough - more often than not being an irritant rather than a key part of the game.

Cavalry are primarily dragoon style - again - they have carbines and pistols that are rapid fire and still deadly at a distance. The pistol or carbine attack followed by a charge is very effective. Or if dismounting is necessary because of terrain - where dismount may be a requirement - these same dragoons form a new line of infantry when needed.

You are moving in this game - you can't sit still and wait so easily. Maneuvering now truly can involve artillery barrage fire. To soften up the enemy before attack or even flank maneuvers.

This game also has invisibility - so enemy troops must be scouted for.

This is no boring game - strategy and initiative take a very large role here - increased range and accuracy dictate this. Speed is now just as important as formation. Cav - can be even more deadly in maneuver and flank attacks. Cav vs. cav battles take on new significance because of this - whoever gains the upper hand with cav really can win the battle...

The game, therefore, moves much faster, You can't just sit and trade artillery fire and then slowly walk you troops up to the enemy.

The Square rule is over.... good riddance! Art does not need to charge with sabre only - can attack infantry and use carbines, pistols as well as sabres... Inf can win with gunfire and bayonet. with supporting infantry fire from other units.

Otherwise - download the mod - takes no time to do and try it out...

Holman's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Knife to the Side View Post
    Just wanted to give a shout out about how great the ACW mod is... Just recently downloaded it - and am very impressed with its historic accuracy. The fact that the ordinances are so far advanced to the Empire and Napoleonic Periods does away with the needs for the irritating squares, short range of muskety fire and limited use of cavalry.

This is definately not a game where you can even think about camping - because the accuracy of fire and distance is so much increased that you are always in a position of movement.

Cavalry is now a real fighting arm with dragoons playing a key role - either mounted or dismounted.

Historically it is wonderful to play - especially for you Civil War fans like myself. It clearly shows why the Civil War was really the first modern conflict where strategy takes on a whole new level of thinking and the ability to maneuver, flank, attack and retreat takes on all new importance.

The slow moving armies of the early 19th century are now replaced by the increased range, firepower and maneuverability of the weapons and soldiers that use them.....

It may look like ETW or NTW but once it starts - look out!

This game has it all....
    I have one question, the biggest and most important at all
    Does this game include USS monitor and CSS Virginia?(merrimac)

i'am a huge fan of Civil war(i'm also american),and naval warfare. also this was probably the first "fully" ironclad ship engagement in HIstory.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hampton_Roads

even if it not i'm still looking to give it a shot (as long as i'm not busy recording a basketball tournament, i'm a cameraman)
    Last edited by Holman; December 16, 2011 at 01:29 PM.

Hi - It is not in the present mod - you would have to go to the hosted mod site - and ask them what they are planning in regards to naval.

One thing you should now - they are planning to put the next mod 3.0 on NTW so that should be interesting. I know they are working on this because I have a friend who designed maps for NTW3 and he is working on maps for this game now for the mod to be atop NTW

I did try out campaign - kind of strange - tried prussia - the campaign map seems to use Civil War Soldiers to move around the general map - but when you get into battles - the troops are all authentic circa 1860+. So European and all other global campaigns for that time period are available - just turn off the music - that is American Civil War- and also the little figures moving around the campaign map are ACW also. Kind of strange but it works.

After you download it - let me know - we can hookup for some MP