Thread: Haradrim names

Default Haradrim names

Where did you get the idea or source material for the names of the Haradrim people, cities and Harad's culture?

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Default Re: Haradrim names

Arabs and Persians and Muslim North Africans.

Why? Because they are evil, and the Hellenistic RK is good,

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Some names were given to Haradrim captains by Tolkien himself, like Sangahyando, Angamaitė, Herumor and Fuinur. Though actually these names are Quenya.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    Some names were given to Haradrim captains by Tolkien himself, like Sangahyando, Angamaitė, Herumor and Fuinur. Though actually these names are Quenya.
    Is the word "Caras" mean "city" in Quenya? Like Athancaras and Carasagar.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

I developed the Haradrian names, along with Apoc. He extracted the known names and we complemented them with appropriate selected names from the cultures mentioned above. I also named most of the cities, though these are generally Sindarin.

"Caras" does indeed mean "city" (though not subterranean ones). Athancaras means "city beyond" and Caras Agar is "city of blood".
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Revelo's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    I developed the Haradrian names, along with Apoc. He extracted the known names and we complemented them with appropriate selected names from the cultures mentioned above. I also named most of the cities, though these are generally Sindarin.

"Caras" does indeed mean "city" (though not subterranean ones). Athancaras means "city beyond" and Caras Agar is "city of blood".
    Somehow I can't imagine Caras Agar being mentioned in any Michellin guides for nicest places in Middle-earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    Wich book were the Haradrim leaders get named?(Lord of the Rings, Similirion, The Unfineshed tales etc)
    I think Fuinur was a Black Numenorion who went to Umbar.

Sangahyando and Angamaitė were also descendants of Numenorians defeated in Kinstrife war IIRC. Although their names don't seem Gondorian, they probably blended with the locals.