Thread: Playing as Gondor, problem with Mordor

Default Playing as Gondor, problem with Mordor

Hello everyone,
    first of all I would like to say hello to all community of Third Age. This mod is outstanding!

I started a new campaign (and my first) as a Gondor. I have a nice economical base - about 4500-5000 cash per turn and the turn is about 35th now. I signed a peace traty with Harad, so I can focus my efforts on Mordor. And here is my problem...

No matter how many their armies I crush, there are still coming new with full or almost full stacks of troops. It is starting to irritate me because I don't keep up with killing them. For example, in about 4 turns i defended Osgiliath twice, killed almost 8000 of enemies, lost no more than 1000 of troops. Previosly i crushed four their armies, another 8000 in total. So 16 000 casualties for them in short period of time. I thought "It's good, now they need some time to reorganise their army, so it's time to attack their forward towns/castles". I've sent a spy to nearest town (south of Osgiliath, don't remember the name, but it is Ithilien region) and he dicovered two more armies with full stacks of troops! How come? Since start i've already killed about 25000 of their troops and they are still coming in strenght. Of course, I can still defend efficiently but it get's boring. Also, I killed their Faction Leader Witch-king and his heir.

So my question is, what am i doing wrong? Or why their armies are so huge no matter how many I kill? Is there a chance to overcome this inconvenience? Maybe it's a script? I read that there are several scripts that give AI money and troops if some strategic towns are besieged, but these requirments are not fulfilled - I'm on defense most of the time...

So, any sugestions? Help please It seems I can kill them endlessly and they will still come back...

Legourou's Avatar Semisalis
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Playing as Gondor, problem with Mordor

I think this is the catch 22 of the game, that I have noticed, where on one side you have the people who are like,

"This is Lord of the Rings and it's Total War! And in the reality of this fiction, Mordor was about to launch an invasion to conquer the known world, and he would've succeeded had not all the factions worked together and an extremely unlikely event took place with a certain Ring of power that stopped Mordor in all it's fury. It's right in the lore aspect to have Mordor beat the mess out of everybody and if all the factions don't work together, use their smarts, and with some luck, Mordor will not be stopped."

Then other's feel more like,

"There is real reality. The reality that I'm a person sitting across from a bright screen playing a game, and I have to be at work in about an hour, so I just want to sit here and have some fun, and call me crazy, but fighting a losing battle is not fun. I already do something like that, It's called Life! I play games to have fun, not sit down and around a few hours into the game, I'm sweating, have a headache, and the black stacks of Mordor don't stop coming! They don't stop coming! And oh? What's this? Haradrim stacks are doing the same thing now? Oh great."

So... it's all in the preference of the player. I say that all games in one way or another have to deal with this situation. The types of people who enjoy the hardships and the pain and that keeps them playing. And the people who enjoy the leisure, the fun, the winning, and that keeps them playing. And everyone in between.

Trying to balance those things in one game is to make the perfect game. Idk if anyone has succeeded doing that, yet...

Default Re: Playing as Gondor, problem with Mordor

You honestly can't play a defensive game with Mordor. Even early on, I'm advancing on Mordor's lands. My goal is always to take the Black Gate and Cirith Ungol. From there, I'm able to consolidate more forces to the front lines while I keep them contained. I haven't been fortunate enough to broker a peace treaty with Harad, so that's even better.

They have several settlements making 2-4 men every single turn, so they're going to keep sending more and more troops at you. After a siege, you should try to work on having a second army counter attack immediately afterwards. They honestly shouldn't be able to beat you in the open field or sieges either.
    Total War Live Commentary: Click Here
    De Bello Mundi: Greek City States
    Third Age Total War: Arnor with MOS
    M&B: Warband: A Clash of Kings
    M&B: Warband: Gekokujo