Thread: Is another historian needed?

Default Is another historian needed?

Hi,

I've been reading TWC for a short period of time, but never got to join it until today. Having read this wonderful Mod project, however, I decided I'll have a go at this mod, not only as a tester (:original: ) but also as a historian.

I don't know the current team members' cultural background because I've never joined in this forum before, but I figured perhaps a person from semi-Japanese background and a big Sengoku period fan might be a good addition to the historian team. I'm not Japanese by blood, but I spent half of my life in Japan from the age of 5 and Japanese is, simply put, one of my mother languages, needless to mention the access to indigenous written sources.
    Having studied the Sengoku period personally(and eventually the same thing over at school), I want to stress that my best area in the Sengoku period is political situation and warfare of the time. I don't know the campaign game's starting year(or is it just that I happened to miss it? :laughing: ), but I'm confident enough to represent political situation in Japan when the factions in faction list were present.

I'm looking forward to your answer,

Shos.

P.S.
    Oh yes, and one more thing -- my source is limited to Japanese sources only and I might have difficulties translating some of the terms to English, as it's my third language. :laughing:
    Last edited by Shos; May 03, 2006 at 05:10 PM. Reason: For easier reading
    "Is it possible to live without music ? It does not appear to be among man's primary needs. But to go without it is to forgo happiness."
    - Evgeny Mravinsky

Default Re: Is another historian needed?

Actually we do need an accountable historian, since we are currently in the stage of developing the unit stats where additional input is wanted, also the tech-tree needs some further discussion among a number of things.

PM me and we'll talk some more.

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

A historian is needed for Unit Descriptions PM Kagemusha
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Like the guys already sayed,we are always on a lookout for good historians. At this stage though the backround research has been mostly done so what we need for team Historians to do is to write specific stuff that coders can then put in game like unit/building descriptions or remake traits and ancillaries so they suit our purposes.

If you guys really need some people to do descriptions and such, I would like to do some minor work. I'm Japanese, and have done some research on this era. Im not a real hard core history freak, but Im pretty sure I can help out somewhat if input is needed.

Hi, deathdoom56! My number of posts are nowhere near you( ), but any Japanese speaker is more than welcomed to me. Do you have any Japanese sources on this era? If so, tell me the title of the book and who the author is(yes, it DOES matter to me )

Anyways, I've just written something for TometeOfDoom, and hopefully we can discuss on some subject together. :original:
    "Is it possible to live without music ? It does not appear to be among man's primary needs. But to go without it is to forgo happiness."
    - Evgeny Mravinsky

deathdoom56:

Haha, you wouldn't consider voice-acting something you could do? If you have the technical stuff that would be required that is. We could really need a native japanese speaker to record some voices, mainly for the battles, to improve the feel of the mod. Or maybe you know someone who could do it for free, if not you?

Haha, you wouldn't consider voice-acting something you could do? If you have the technical stuff that would be required that is. We could really need a native japanese speaker to record some voices, mainly for the battles, to improve the feel of the mod. Or maybe you know someone who could do it for free, if not you?
    I could do it if you want, but I have no idea how to (what instruments are needed and such). But yah, if it was just saying "Zenshin" (advance) and "Totsugeki" (charge), and what not, I could.

Hi, deathdoom56! My number of posts are nowhere near you( ), but any Japanese speaker is more than welcomed to me. Do you have any Japanese sources on this era? If so, tell me the title of the book and who the author is(yes, it DOES matter to me )
    Lo mate.

As I said, Im not a major history freak. The books that I have personally are mostly like special collections (besatsu; Forts of the Sengoku era, 50 battles of the Sengoku Era and such), and the only real books I have on this era are

"Ikki to Sengoku Daimyo" by Kurushima Noriko
    "Sengoku Uramenshi" by Nagaoka Keinosuke

that explains much on the society of the age and the daimyo themselves, but little on the warfare of the time. I do know of some books in the local library that may come in handy though

deathdoom56:

Well there would be order shouts, warcry's, deathcry's, taunts, panic shouts etc. Ofcourse it should be made with conviction and style so unless you are excited about doing it and you feel it's something you could excell at it's better you just decline, there are ofcourse other ways you could be helpful, since you live in japan and thus have access to a wealth of knowledge we don't. Like this library you mention for instance, we can use it as a source for our research through you. So we'll have you stick around, and if there's something we want to know you can make some research, and if you see something we do that looks wrong or could be improved, you'll let us know. Just in general you would keep a track of ongoing discussions and development and provide input if you find anything you could add to it.

Anyway, if you're sure you want to do voice acting, the man you should talk to about what you'll need and how to do it, is DarkRagnar, our sound-guy. Although I think he's still rather busy atm.

I dont have mikes and etc., but I will see what I can do.

I will be heading to the library tommorrow so I will pick up anything I can find there

Xiaodun:

LOL, No, I'm not a history freak to the extent as you might imagine! I just wanted to say that any book you have will be a big help for me and the team, because nobody has all the books in the world
    Besides, I really find one of your books "Ikki to Sengoku Daimyo" interesting. I remember seeing that in the bookstore, but didn't buy it after all. See how your knowledge gained from that book could help a guy only with books on Daimyo and battles? :original:
    Last edited by Shos; May 09, 2006 at 01:44 PM. Reason: sorting out, putting apostrophe....
    - Evgeny Mravinsky

Well about this voice thing. I have been studying japanese for about 2 years, and I also got professionalmic, equaliser and home studio for recording voice.
    I can help you out - for free

and if there are things I can't translate myself I am sure that you guys from japan will teach me how to tell it, and that's it.
    Member of

Modder, Composer, WebSite Designer, mr. perpetum-mobile

Courso:

Yes, you and Xiaodun can cooperate on that since you've both offered yourselves for this assignment. I only hope DarkRagnar get's freed up soon, he probably knows best all the different voice-recordings that will be needed. Then there are also those ambient loops with voices mixed up with other battle-sounds, running in the background while combat is ensuing.

A lot to do here I suppose, but if you guys enjoy doing this as much as I enjoy making pictures there should be no trouble with the quantity of work.

and if there are things I can't translate myself I am sure that you guys from japan will teach me how to tell it, and that's it.
    I can do translation for phrases and background noise, but I have no idea what those instruments you mentioned were.

Well there would be order shouts, warcry's, deathcry's, taunts, panic shouts etc. Ofcourse it should be made with conviction and style so unless you are excited about doing it and you feel it's something you could excell at it's better you just decline,
    Maybe I should decline, but I can do some research and some translation at the very least.

Yes, let Courso worry about recording, and you'll worry about translating stuff for him and giving pointers about his work, which he will probably send to you for correction.

MikagaMi's Avatar Laetus

Hey, I was thinking maybe the team can post any question on history up for discussion/voting as individuals may not be able to provide the most accurate information, u know, for history this kind of thing, the knowledge depends on the book source. Therefore, I think it will be better to get more opinions. Hope this can be useful...=)

For the time being I think we are set with historians, but you are welcome to hang around on the public forum and provide information and comment on anything we display, as you please.

MikagaMi's Avatar Laetus

Sure, just post any history issues the team is unsure of & I believe alot of us would help~~